Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: The new "tuner" law, Anyone know any details on this? Cops..
Porcharu
post Feb 17 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 17 2006, 06:40 AM)
I agree with Miles, what do you guys see as any good reason to live in CA. Move to a state where you have individual freedoms.

That said. They can't take your car and crush it if you are not racing. If they do get a lawyer and own the police department.

Only one thing. My wife lives here, and we get free good child care from her parents (2 things.) Otherwise I'd be outta here 3 years ago. I still want to leave before the kid needs to go to school.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 17 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 623

"Mexifornia" is the only state in the nation where the cops will patiently follow a double homicide suspect at 30 MPH down the 405 for 60 minutes and at the same time pull over a 19 year old kid and impound his fucking car for having a loud muffler (as a stupid Harley growls by in the background)!!!!! I know a friend in Upland, CA who got thrown in jail for spray painting a small area by his pedal box while restoring a 911 in his apartment garage. A nosey neighbor didn't like the noise (compressor)and called the cops on him at 8:00 AM (I thought that wasn't too early). The cops showed up and saw him spray painting...AND GET THIS....called the Fire Dept. The boys with their big red trucks and asbestos suits arrive a few minutes later and start to investigate the "apocalyptic scene". My friend James gets irritated by the huge over reaction of the local law enforcement and Fire Dept. He gets cited with 4 violations and carted off to jail because they didn't like his attitude. NOW...all you other guys that live in a state other than CA...ask yourself if this is more likely to happen where you live. I'm betting 99-100% of all non CA residents on this forum will agree that this is a CA phenomenom only. Hey it's a beautiful state...there's alot of reasons why I still love to go there...but Jesus Christ...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 17 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 17 2006, 09:42 AM)
"Mexifornia" is the only state in the nation where the cops will patiently follow a double homicide suspect at 30 MPH down the 405 for 60 minutes and at the same time pull over a 19 year old kid and impound his fucking car for having a loud muffler (as a stupid Harley growls by in the background)!!!!! I know a friend in Upland, CA who got thrown in jail for spray painting a small area by his pedal box while restoring a 911 in his apartment garage. A nosey neighbor didn't like the noise (compressor)and called the cops on him at 8:00 AM (I thought that wasn't too early). The cops showed up and saw him spray painting...AND GET THIS....called the Fire Dept. The boys with their big red trucks and asbestos suits arrive a few minutes later and start to investigate the "apocalyptic scene". My friend James gets irritated by the huge over reaction of the local law enforcement and Fire Dept. He gets cited with 4 violations and carted off to jail because they didn't like his attitude. NOW...all you other guys that live in a state other than CA...ask yourself if this is more likely to happen where you live. I'm betting 99-100% of all non CA residents on this forum will agree that this is a CA phenomenom only. Hey it's a beautiful state...there's alot of reasons why I still love to go there...but Jesus Christ...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill

half the people on the board call it home

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 17 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #44

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 16 2006, 10:14 AM)
Someone please point me to the actual law that states they can seize and crush your car. The site pointed to specifys penalties for street racing (one of which is that the car can be impounded for 30 days), and that you must pay towing charges, and that the car will be sold at a lien sale if you fail to pay up. Nowhere does it say the car will be crushed (though it may well be if it fails to sell at a lien sale, or it may be crushed by the new owner).

I dunno about specific statewide statutes, but in LA County they sieze the cars of ticketed street racers and crush 'em. Reports of such have appeared in the LA Times, along with commentary by representatives of the law enforcement community. They'd prefer the cars not be available to other potential racers. Parts ain't gonna come off the cars, either. They're in impound, and most towing companies aren't gonna jump off the gravy train to satisfy a temporary urge for a fast couple of bucks. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 17 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #45

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 17 2006, 09:42 AM)
...It's the most over legislated place in the world.

My 4 cents,

Bill

Spoken by someone who clearly hasn't spent much time outside the Wisconsin, or wasn't paying much attention when he was...

CA has nearly 40M people, or more than the population of most of the European countries. It it were it's own country, it would be something like the 6th or 8th largest economy on the planet. It's a big place, full of people, and there are no doubt all kinds of stories that will come out of that. Anecdotes don't prove anything. Pick anywhere in the world and I'm sure you could find examples of overzealous policing.

Sticking just to cars and the US, a number of states require a safety and emissions inspection every year on every car newer than some set age, and they still require a safety inspection on all cars, regardless of age. California has no safety inspections, and only tests emissions every other year. No test until the car is 6 years old, and no test if the car is older than 1976. Even Arizona has tougher emissions laws than that. So much for "the most overlegislated place in the world".

In the UK, you have to undergo a tough annual inspection that would fail quite a few 914s currently being driven in the US. Even surface rust on a structural section of the car will fail you. In Austria, as noted on another thread, you can be failed for running non-stock WHEELS. In Italy, engine modifications are simply forbidden, full stop.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 17 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #46

Didn't mean to stike a nerve with you CA boys. You still have to admit that your politicians have lost control! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 17 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #47

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Do they have the California residents march the goose-step yet?

How about the whole Sig Heil! thing?

Don't worry, it'll come.

Just wait.....
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Feb 17 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #48

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Gee.. who's a better governor Arnold Schwartzenmoron or Jessie Venturitable. Personally I'd move out of any state who's majority would VOTE these guys in. Then again, the whole political process is a joke.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 17 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #49

Hey Geek,

Thanks for the history lesson. I put down my straw hat for a while so I could read your "vent". By the way, I've probably been to three times as many foreign countries as you have (fly free) and have a very clear understanding of the demographics in CA. Thankyou. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pissoff.gif)
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Feb 17 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #50

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

Exactly what is a "nuisance vehicle"? That will be the contigent factor in all of this hub-bub. There is a little thing called the Constitution of the United States... something about you can not deprive someone of life, liberty or personal property without due cause. I say all of the "laws" are bullshit and are designed to distract the public from streetracing for fear of thier car being crushed. The fact is that this act is unconstitutional and can and eventually will stand up in court.

I won a lawsuit against the State of Illinois department of Revenue in the Illinois State Supreme Court based on pretty much the same bs. It took me three years to get my $$ back (which they ILLEGEALLY seized), but I got it. It is amazing what you can do with Larry Pozner and Geprge Taseff on your side!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
reedhmb
post Feb 17 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,545

To bring this a little back on topic, Andrew you don’t have anything to worry about. There is no law as described. Just drive responsibly. You know what your car will do, no need to show off. The line I use when I get someone, doing a burn out is, “There is a time and a place or everything.” The street isn’t the place to do serious racing. And the parking lot of Taco Bell during a busy night isn’t the place to do burn outs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

When I was your age my daily driver was a V8 Vega, 350, solid lifter cam, 12 bolt rear end, 4.56 gears, tunnel ram and nitrous. Had nice paint, I always drove conservatively in public, and while all the others were getting stopped on cruise night the cops left me alone. There were a number of times when some guy would pull up along side of me with his beater Camaro and try to get me to race. Nearly all of these guys wound up getting stopped, I just idled by as the hooker headers made the ground shake.

Wide tires or not, as long as your conversion is clean, and you always drive conservatively, especially in your own neighborhood, you shouldn’t have any troubles. Nice cars don’t draw the attention of the police nearly as much as a beater.

Mark
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 17 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #52

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (reedhmb @ Feb 17 2006, 02:22 PM)
The line I use when I get someone, doing a burn out is, “There is a time and a place or everything.” The street isn’t the place to do serious racing. And the parking lot of Taco Bell during a busy night isn’t the place to do burn outs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Funny.... I work at taco bell...(manager, grave yard on weekends...)

I know what your talking about (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 17 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #53

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

Now we've established that this law doesn't actually exist - err... I quite like living in California. I'm sure some of the other .. uh... 40 million people living here - like it too, or at least don't find it bad enough to leave. It's got some annoyances. Show me a place that doesn't have annoyances!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 17 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #54

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

From the Dad's point of view...

Thanks to those who replied.
Especially the first link talked about what the policia are looking for when they inspect for modified cars.

Mark, I appreciate your words of wisdom as well as the others that posted. I am concerned that there are 'enthusiastic' men in blue that interpret the laws differently than others. I'm lucky that Andrew has a good head on his shoulders. He has a lot of respect for others on the road.

I do believe some muni's have created ordinances like LA and Sac that allow them to go the distance with street racers. Impounds and crushing cars as will.

My fear is that in a moment of misjudgment the officer will take one look at his age and the beast of a car he’s driving and determine that he ‘must’ be a street racer.

I’m probably just being a worry wart, but that’s my job…
(You would be too if your Son was driving a 914 with a V8 in it.)

DanD

Oh Yah, I like California too. No bugs...(I was going to say no snow, but it may snow tonight...)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 18 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #55

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (dan10101 @ Feb 17 2006, 09:13 PM)

I’m probably just being a worry wart, but that’s my job…
(You would be too if your Son was driving a 914 with a V8 in it.)

That's true (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif). That's a lot of juice.

I remember what I got up to in my Spitfire (which only had like 90-100hp) when I was 18 or so.

Good times - good times.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 22 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #56

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

While we're on the subject .............

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/1...-15043650c.html

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #57

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

ya have to register to read the article
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #58

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

dude! I wonder if they'll grab the Enzo! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
reddog
post Feb 22 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 5,299

"NO converters in 73 that crap started in 75" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
Are converters std on all 75's? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 22 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #60

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (reddog @ Feb 22 2006, 08:39 PM)
"NO converters in 73 that crap started in 75" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
Are converters std on all 75's? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

No. The California smog rules got a LOT tighter that year, so tight that it was impossible to pass without some sort of exhaust "cleaner". Most manufacturers went to oxidizing catalysts (HC -> H2O + CO2, CO -> CO2), but a very few went to thermal reactors, which used huge iron heat sinks to "burn" the exhaust and do the same reactions. Porsche was one of those, with the 911, which produced the infamous '75-'77 2.7s.

The 914 used a catalytic convertor. All CA model '75 and '76 914s have them. The CA-model 912E also used a thermal reactor.

Many 49-state cars also used catalytic convertors from '75-'80. In 1980, they became mandatory in the entire US, whether they were needed to pass the tailpipe tests or not. Quite a few early 80s cars can pass their smog tests w/o a functioning catalytic convertor, since EFI was common in those days, and the limits are just high enough that you can sneak under.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:28 AM