Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Pull in San Diego, Need some help, anyone?
cbenitah
post Feb 22 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #41

Protected by the Swedish Maffia

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,597

QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 01:14 PM)
Yo Chris,
A few things that you may already know, but that I have experienced and want to pass on.

1. when removing the engine, make sure to remove the ground strap at the back of the tranny. I have done forgotten this soo many times and it is a pain to do while ballancing your tranny/eng in a jack.

2. When going to Mexico you will pass through the area with the lights. If you get red you will have to go to the right side for secondary inspection. If you are trailering a car, you will have to go to the right hand side for secondary inspection. They will want to see you registration, and it MUST be current. I made the mistake of grabbing my old registration when I trailered my car down for paint and I was turned around at the border and sent home. It only cost me an extra hour (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

3. You can remove injectors with engine in car. It is not too hard. Just remove the retaining nuts that hold the collars around the injectors (these will be obvious). then unclamp your fuel lines and plug them. Simple.

I wish I still was in SD so I could help, but you do have a bunch of help in that area so long as they are not booked. I have recieved help from Don, and Cloudbuster (Mark) to name a few. Great fellas, you are lucky to be living there. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

dont have a gound strap (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)

thats what Iwill need to put on once its done.. I cant find my registration so i need to go and get a new one, but its current..

i will work on the injectors, so i can bring them home with me. I feel im lucky to live down here, its difficult to meet people if you are new but i enjoy my time here..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #42

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No ground strap?! No wonder your car is running like crap. It is kind of a necessity for the electrical things (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
hmeeder
post Feb 22 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #43

Dante's Sportscar

Member No.: 3,154

Chris;

I'd be glad to help, but Don's right, you didn't give us much notice, eh? Friday night is out. I'm at work.

Cloudbuster and I dropped his motor in about 45 minutes one evening.

Double check that you even need the triplesquare CV joint tool. Several of those have been changed to a standard 8mm allen head.

And Mike is right, no groundstrap? That's gonna cause problems.

the triplesquare looks like this

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #44

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Ya gotta have a ground.

If you were willing to come up this way I would help you drop the motor.

We could put the car on a lift and have it out in 30 minutes. I could even store the car for a couple weeks. Longer if you help me cut up the tub I have taking up space.
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Feb 22 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 04:53 PM)
Ya gotta have a ground.

If you were willing to come up this way I would help you drop the motor.

We could put the car on a lift and have it out in 30 minutes. I could even store the car for a couple weeks. Longer if you help me cut up the tub I have taking up space.

I'm sorry for the short notice, but like I tried to explain, the reason was that my friend cancelled on me yesterday. Otherwise he would have been my help. I'm taking the car to mexico with john rogers to have my tub cleand and fixed for minor rust. then painted of course. Rght now I'm not sure what I will make them do since I will have the engine in the car and wont have the abiltiy to paint the engine bay (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) thus due to no trailer.. I dont think Uhal will let me take a trailer to mexico either (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)

As for the ground strap, NOW I know thanks to Clayton (and brad roberts) that I dont have one.. I am in the process of ordering one from PP I think Clayton said.

thanks guys I really appretiate the help, and once I'm up and running after my first pull, give me a call and I'll help you out! Well, I'll help out know if I can do something for you!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #46

I used a Uhaul (illegally) to take my car to Mex. I got the insurance on it and I am glad I did as a cab driver hit the trailer while I was down there. Good thing he kept going after we got them sepparated (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

The Uhaul is a pig magnet! When my newly painted PORSCHE was sitting in it and I was in traffic on the way back I was almost hit again by a duschbag murging while talking on his cell phone in his big ass truck. As I am hanging out the window of my car yelling at him to stop a cop saw me, saw my car, and decided he needed to talk to me. He claimed that I was not allowed to have the Uhaul in Mex with out the special authorization (that does not exist) and tried to extort $400 from me. "Lucky" me I only had $100 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bs.gif) Dushbags. It was the only time that I got extorted, but I would keep it legal if I were you. Current registration and a legal trailer.

Funny, I didnt get stopped when it looked like a turd (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #47

Teenerless Weenie

If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done. You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

Get the car here, I'll help you pull the motor and clean up the engine bay (up to 3000 psi steam available) and get a welder to help repair whatever problems you may have, plus a parts car to take pieces from as long as the hell hole is not fried.

I'll also store the car while the motor is being worked on if you help me cut up the parts tub.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #48

What a deal!

Allan must be lonely (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Honestly, Chris. You can have it done fast, quick, or right. Pick one. If you rush this you will be kicking your self later.

+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 22 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #49

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Chris,

Do it any way you want to... This is how we all learned.

Take notice of the following. From what you have told me.

When you do it YOUR WAY..

It gets expensive and doesn't get done right.

Does another week or two to "GET IT RIGHT" really make that big of a differance in the long run?

Only you know the answer. I have no clue what your time frames are and your time constraints.

Me.... No way would I send the car to Los Panchos with the engine in it.

They would have to pull the engine and tranny to clean the engine compartment and handle ANY repairs in that area.

Do you have the new mounts ready for them so you can mount your computer?

Or are you going to let it dangle and keep getting it smacked each time you go over a bump?????

Now think about this..

Does LosPanchos know how to rewire, put fuel lines on, set up the throttle cable, make sure all vacuum lines are installed correctly?

Do they have the CV tool?

And on and on??????

Are you going to have to fix their mistakes when you have never done it yourself?

Dude... take a breath... Pull the engine out in San Diego.

Do it right.. Do it once.

Treat your car like royalty. It will inturn treat you the same.

(as it rusts before your eyes (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif))

Twystd1
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 22 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I sent my 912 to tj with the engine in it. It was a complete car, I just told them not to touch the engine bay. I'm going to paint it black on my own time.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #51

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 22 2006, 06:03 PM)
I sent my 912 to tj with the engine in it. It was a complete car, I just told them not to touch the engine bay. I'm going to paint it black on my own time.

The problem with your offer is that we know that you ride the shorter bus to school.

If that's okay with everyone then go for it...
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 22 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #52

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Matt,

God dam kids...... Here we go again.....

His whole engine compartment is covered in oil.

His engine leaks like a sieve.

I don't think I want a freshly painted car that will LOSE it's shine and have the oil start eating my paint the fist day i drive it with a new paint job..

Constant covering of oil eats paint. (like your type3)

Matt, I know your 912. I have worked on it. In fact... Crap.. I work on all your cars..... I think I fixed the T-Bird when I pissed in your gas tank..

But I digress.......

Differant parameters here.. The engine and possibly the tranny need some oil fixing.. like bad...

I personally wouldn't do it after a paint job...

Your thoughts??? (ya little shit)

Twystd1
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Feb 22 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #53

QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 05:30 PM)
If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done. You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

Get the car here, I'll help you pull the motor and clean up the engine bay (up to 3000 psi steam available) and get a welder to help repair whatever problems you may have, plus a parts car to take pieces from as long as the hell hole is not fried.

I'll also store the car while the motor is being worked on if you help me cut up the parts tub.

wow, I can't pass on that offer really!

This weekend is not a good time for me anyways, and YES, I want to do my car RIGHT! If I ever move back to sweden the car is coming with me!

So when are you avalible? This Saturday? (which would be a god one for me anyways)

As for the hell hole, I have a quarter size hole so I guess I'm not in the REALLY bad like some cars out there?!

my sidemarkes needs to be welded too, but I suppose the TJ crew does that??

I'll PM you for more info
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #54

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 22 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 05:30 PM)
If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done.  You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

wow, I can't pass on that offer really!

This weekend is not a good time for me anyways, and YES, I want to do my car RIGHT! If I ever move back to sweden the car is coming with me!

So when are you avalible? This Saturday? (which would be a god one for me anyways)

As for the hell hole, I have a quarter size hole so I guess I'm not in the REALLY bad like some cars out there?!

PM me but better yet, call me tomorrow around 10...

We will get it done...
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #55

Know this, from personally taking a few cars down to be done, some of the best work they have done actually, the key was to NEVER rush them. They will cut corners like you would not believe. I have never gotten a car back in time. I have always had to have them fix shoddy work, but in the end the extra work you do and time you give them, and the price are well worth it.

I took my car down to them with the engineout first to have them weld in a /6 mount. Then I painted the engine bay, mounted the engine, tranny, etc, then took it down for paint.

Safest best way. Do not settle for less than you bargained for when you go down there. They will take advantage of you if you are in a hurry.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #56

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 05:36 PM)

You smell funny...
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Feb 22 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #57

WO....

Guess I was a slow typer didnt see all of claytons and Matts comments until now.. I agree! The car is not going to TJ with the engine!! no matter what! that is why I'm greatful for claytons help, he actually told me what was wrong with it, no one has ever ben able to do that. And me looking at it doesnt make much difference, I dont know where to look.

So now its time to remember all the stuff you told me Clayton, I know the seals/gaskets may need a replace, uhm something about my clutch too but cant recall what exactly i needed to do. the injectors send them to get cleaned (better than buy new ones casue you know what you get -claytons words) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)

No, I will not put ALOT of money into the engine, just fix the leaks and make it run like a 1.8 shall do! I'm not in any spec hurry, the "hurry" I had was that John offered me to go with him to Los Panchos, i can tell you this, i would NEVER go down there myself, then I'd come back with a $10K job and no clothes! hell I would probably not come back at all.. Hopefully I can go with someone else that needs to go down there soon.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 22 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #58

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 22 2006, 06:29 PM)

Call me in the morning after 9:00 am....

The number is 1-(661) 979-2266.

If the rest of you pervs call me I will track you down... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 22 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 22 2006, 06:28 PM)
Matt,

God dam kids...... Here we go again.....

His whole engine compartment is covered in oil.

His engine leaks like a sieve.

I don't think I want a freshly painted car that will LOSE it's shine and have the oil start eating my paint the fist day i drive it with a new paint job..

Constant covering of oil eats paint. (like your type3)

Matt, I know your 912. I have worked on it. In fact... Crap.. I work on all your cars..... I think I fixed the T-Bird when I pissed in your gas tank..

But I digress.......

Differant parameters here.. The engine and possibly the tranny need some oil fixing.. like bad...

I personally wouldn't do it after a paint job...

Your thoughts??? (ya little shit)

Twystd1

I wasnt trying to make you wrong. I was trying to introduce the option of rattle-caning the engine bay after it got back.

I didnt know you had rust either. They will fix rust and the side markers and all that good stuff.

Did you by chance piss in the back seat of the t-bird too? Because the inside smells like piss, and ive been trying to chase it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #60

QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 05:36 PM)

You smell funny...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Get yer nose out of there (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Chris,
If you have no actual ground strap then your clutch cable and throttle cable are likely standing in for you.

Unfortunatly, this means that thery are erroding and will likely break in the near future. I would recommend ordering new ones. Just my experience. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 12:43 AM