Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Pull in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
cbenitah
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Does anyone in San Diego have time to help me pull my engine this week? Need to do so before I go down to Mexico this weekend. And I dont have the tools to do it, I heard its 4 bolts, so it shouldnt take that long of a time?

-Cris
G e o r g e
chris, you can do it wink.gif , took me a little over 4 hrs wacko.gif . go over to pelican they have a very easy to follow plan.

George
race914
I used the Pelican Parts method and it worked great.
cbenitah
After Claytons pepp talk saturday I know I will be able to do it.
But I only have the factory jack stand which will not get me very far..

So if you dont have the time but the tools, maybe I could borrow it?
Mueller
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 21 2006, 07:17 PM)
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Does anyone in San Diego have time to help me pull my engine this week? Need to do so before I go down to Mexico this weekend. And I dont have the tools to do it, I heard its 4 bolts, so it shouldnt take that long of a time?

-Cris

how can you own a 914 and NOT have a decent set of tools??? screwy.gif smash.gif
Rand
The right dolly / tranny jack / atv jack / etc. will help a lot. You can do it by yourself, but it's a lot easier and more fun with some help. Wish I was closer. Hopefully some locals will see this and pitch in. icon_bump.gif
Aaron Cox
chris.

go to kragen - buy a set of jackstands and a floor jack. shouldnbt set ya back but 40 bucks.

it is really easy.
i can do it in 40 bymyself........

brando and i have it down to about 20 without even saying a word to each other.... its just a natural thang....
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 21 2006, 07:28 PM)
chris.

go to kragen - buy a set of jackstands and a floor jack. shouldnbt set ya back but 40 bucks.

k, I will give it a go on friday. if any of you guys wants to come over and jsharp.gif while i do it thats fine with me.. i'll buy the beer! So cant find the pelican article everyone is talking about, whats the short story?

thanks
G e o r g e
chris let me give this attachment thingy a try here
eeyore
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 21 2006, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 21 2006, 07:17 PM)
smash.gif  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:

-Cris

how can you own a 914 and NOT have a decent set of tools??? screwy.gif smash.gif

how can you own a 914 and NOT have a decent set of jack stands???

Are you going to do this in front of your apartment?

I only have Friday night available.
cbenitah
QUOTE (maddeye @ Feb 21 2006, 09:02 PM)
chris let me give this attachment thingy a try

it didnt work...

ok, i read the pelican article, it seams like rocket science to me.. I will give it a try, whats the worst that can happen? I have to donate my car to the club.. and start to drive a FIAT... i have heard good stuff about www.wedriveasmallfiatclub.com

The beer offer is still up though!

beer.gif beer.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
PEP BOYS (auto part store) has 2 jack stands, a 2-ton jack, and creeper for $24.95.
check 'em out.
G e o r g e
wacko.gif ok how about now, try the new link
John
You can do it by yourself, but it's a lot easier and more fun with some help.

Hmmm..

I never seem to get any help.

I pulled mine out last saturday. I think it took 3 hours, but I was taking my time.

Jackstands, wrenches, sockets and a floor jack is all you need. FI 4-cyl's are easy as you don't have to get the back end of the car so high in the air.

My hardest part was pulling one of the CV joints. I ended up pulling the stub axle with the whole axle shaft instead.

Good luck to you.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Feb 21 2006, 09:13 PM)
how can you own a 914 and NOT have a decent set of jack stands???  

Are you going to do this in front of your apartment?

I only have Friday night available.

casue i intend to drive it spank.gif

friday night is just fine! would you care for a beer outside my apartment? Im actually going to be over at my friends house since thats where ill keep the engine and do my "fixing"
Twystd1
Bump for the Red haired guy from sweden.

Dude... you will also need the CV bolt tool.

You can get that at any VW shop.

And if someone is willing to help you. it ain't on your time frame... it's on theirs.

Giterdone bro.

Twystd1
cbenitah
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 22 2006, 04:33 AM)

And if someone is willing to help you. it ain't on your time frame... it's on theirs.

Giterdone bro.

Twystd1

Do I ask for a CV bolt tool?
dont get me wrong, I can do this @ 4am if anyone wants to help out then.. Time is no issue here as long as its done before sat morning..

I read the pelican article again and again, what scares me is the checklist, i dont even think i will find all the xomponents on the checklist.. maybe i can have someone on the phone in worst case..

thanks for any help

icon_bump.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 22 2006, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 22 2006, 04:33 AM)

Giterdone bro.

Twystd1

Do I ask for a CV bolt tool?
dont get me wrong, I can do this @ 4am if anyone wants to help out then.. Time is no issue here as long as its done before sat morning..

I read the pelican article again and again, what scares me is the checklist, i dont even think i will find all the xomponents on the checklist.. maybe i can have someone on the phone in worst case..

thanks for any help

icon_bump.gif

you got my number... i can walk you through an engine drop no prob...

Allan
IMHO, I would definitely wait for assistance from someone who has done it before. At least have someone there to help you. It's not really that hard but a second set of hands and eyes are a very good thing if it's your first time.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 10:33 AM)
IMHO, I would definitely wait for assistance from someone who has done it before. At least have someone there to help you. It's not really that hard but a second set of hands and eyes are a very good thing if it's your first time.

i dont have time to wait, and since noone seam to have the time to come by.. I im off from 1pm fri, which means that I have from 1pm fri to 9 am sat to do it myself.. guess I'll just stay up until its done.. i may get it out i may not. we will see..
toon1
If things go really bad I will take the donation..LOL

Don't sweat it, it is pretty darn easy, even for a first timer. Go slow take your time to make sure everything is disconnected.

The CV tool is a 8mm 12 point torx head style tool I bought one at NAPA for 8 bucks.

DO NOT USE A TORX TOOL you will strip the bolt and then you are screwed. Good luck
Allan
I thought you were just going to get the injectors cleaned/replaced?

Are you rebuilding it?
TROJANMAN
get a second set of hands from a friend. they don't need to know 914's to help you drop the engine, just help you lift. plus, it's safer to have someone around. it's not that heavy, but it could help. if i were in your neck of the woods, i'd give you a hand. wink.gif
that pelican article is very detailed.
Pnambic
I'm a newby but I've taken out (or helped take out) 3 engines over the last year or two. I even put one back in. rolleyes.gif The Pelican article is a pretty darn good guide, but it almost makes it seem like a more difficult process than I think it really is. The CV bolt tool is comonly referred to as a "VW tranny tool". It cost me about $5 or $6 at Napa.

A "furniture mover" is a really nice thing to have when sliding the engine out and moving it to wherever it needs to be. I think I've seen them as cheap as about $20 at Lowes. user posted image

Wish I could help you out. Get me a plane ticket from Indy and I'm there! beer.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Pnambic @ Feb 22 2006, 11:57 AM)
I'm a newby but I've taken out (or helped take out) 3 engines over the last year or two. I even put one back in. rolleyes.gif The Pelican article is a pretty darn good guide, but it almost makes it seem like a more difficult process than I think it really is. The CV bolt tool is comonly referred to as a "VW tranny tool". It cost me about $5 or $6 at Napa.

A "furniture mover" is a really nice thing to have when sliding the engine out and moving it to wherever it needs to be. I think I've seen them as cheap as about $20 at Lowes. user posted image

Wish I could help you out. Get me a plane ticket from Indy and I'm there! beer.gif

a vw tranny tools is a 17mm allen socket......

also used on porsche trannies......

huh.gif
Pnambic
See? Like I said, a newbie! wacko.gif

Its the 8mm 12 point torx you want!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Pnambic @ Feb 22 2006, 12:02 PM)
See? Like I said, a newbie! wacko.gif

12pt isnt torx smile.gif

its a "triple square tool"
John

It is not a TORX.

It is either called a tripple square or a spline. Not a TORX. TORX drivers will end up stripping the splines in the heads of those bolts.

TORX tools have some taper to their splines while the proper spline tool is straight.

DAMN YOU TYPE FAST AARON
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 10:59 AM)

a vw tranny tools is a 17mm allen socket......

also used on porsche trannies......

huh.gif

ask for one of those too, while you're at it. smile.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 10:50 AM)
I thought you were just going to get the injectors cleaned/replaced?

Are you rebuilding it?

i am getting them cleaned.. but have to fix my oil leaks, change the seal etc.. and i wanna paint the engine bay as well, so its better to have the engine out..
cbenitah
Guess i didnt make myself clear on one point...

I've been in SD for almost 2 years, and I know ONE guy and he is going away so he can't help me out, which sucks cause he is doing all the work himself on his bmw 2002 racecar.. so he ought to know.. but ill give it a try, will print this and go to kragen and shop around for what i need...

the beer offer is still up there if anyone is down here..
Mugs914
Hi Cris,

Sorry to be so useless, but I'm going to be out of town from Friday morning until late Saturday or Sunday morning.confused24.gif

You can do this easily, just don't be intimidated. It's all just nuts and bolts. Take your time and make sure everything is disconnected and you'll be fine. Everyone here has already given you the good tips, but in case you get stuck, can call me or Aaron and we'll get you through it.

Again, I'm sorry I won't be around. I'd like to be able to be there to help...
cbenitah
QUOTE (Mugs914 @ Feb 22 2006, 11:21 AM)
Hi Cris,

Sorry to be so useless, but I'm going to be out of town from Friday morning until late Saturday or Sunday morning.confused24.gif

You can do this easily, just don't be intimidated. It's all just nuts and bolts. Take your time and make sure everything is disconnected and you'll be fine. Everyone here has already given you the good tips, but in case you get stuck, can call me or Aaron and we'll get you through it.

Again, I'm sorry I won't be around. I'd like to be able to be there to help...

thursday evening ? biggrin.gif

thats ok, I knew you would help out if you were in town, that is why I started this thread, since i dont know anyone else really down here in SD...
Brando
I'm trying to get a group of hooligans together to trek down friday night. So far if skline isn't workin at the port and he's feeling up to it, we might head down.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 22 2006, 01:03 PM)
I'm trying to get a group of hooligans together to trek down friday night. So far if skline isn't workin at the port and he's feeling up to it, we might head down.

i got a midterm on friday... ends at 2...

friday traffic is the buzzkill
DonTraver
Hi Chris. Just a couple of tips.

You posted this, this morning for a drop before Sat morning. Plus, you're wanting to get it done during the week, instead of the weekend when most of us may have time to help you. That really doesn't give anyone much time to reschedule to help you. We all need a longer lead time.

My schedule is usually filled up a couple of weeks in advance. I just can't start canceling appts on such short notice, as I will get charged for them anyway. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Here's a suggestion, cancel the engine drop, just get your injectors taken care of for now, and reschedule the drop a couple of weeks down the road. That will give us all time to get it done.

The most important part of any job is the planning. We used to have the 7 "P"s when I was in the Navy.

The 7 P's
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor production. It still applies today.

I and I'm sure the other locals will be happy to help you out, we just need more lead time. I've never dropped a 4, just 6's, so I don't have any of the special tools you're going to need.

Best Regards, Don
cbenitah
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Feb 22 2006, 12:05 PM)
Hi Chris.  Just a couple of tips.

You posted this, this morning for a drop before Sat morning.    Plus, you're wanting to get it done during the week, instead of the weekend when most of us may have time to help you. That really doesn't give anyone much time to reschedule to help you.  We all need a longer lead time.

My schedule is usually filled up a couple of weeks in advance.  I just can't start canceling appts on such short notice, as I will get charged for them anyway.  I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Here's a suggestion, cancel the engine drop, just get your injectors taken care of for now, and reschedule the drop a couple of weeks down the road.  That will give us all time to get it done.  

The most important part of any job is the planning.  We used to have the 7 "P"s when I was in the Navy.

The 7 P's
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor production.  It still applies today.

I and I'm sure the other locals will be happy to help you out, we just need more lead time.  I've never dropped a 4, just 6's, so I don't have any of the special tools you're going to need.

Best Regards, Don

thanks don,
Yea I know its short notice, sorry about that! Its just that my friend cancelled on helping me so I didnt know where to turn other than to the club. I got some other bad news which will force me not to take the engine out anyways.. My friends firend who was supposed to help me down to mexico called just now and said he had to go to big bear and needed his trailer.. So now im out of trailer and truck. So I'll just drive the car down, and do some work that needs to be done for now.. And when I get back I hope I can take the engine out on a weekend and do the work in two days. I hope I can bring my injectors with me from TJ, since I hope you can take them off without dropping the engine..

or am i misstaking?

some updates on my car, this morning I was seriously running on one or two cylinders, got some nasty clouds of smoke behind me.. no idle at all.. then all of a sudden poped back to three and idle just fine.. So I WILL NEED to get those injectors (and a ground strap) done ASAP..

thanks for all the help though. I will print this thread out and save it.

-Cris (the confused swede)

Thanks to Mugs914 who offered to lend his trailer to me. unfortunatley it didnt click on our weekends.. but big THANKS
Brando
Put in a new coil while you're at it. They're cheap.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 22 2006, 01:02 PM)
Put in a new coil while you're at it. They're cheap.

got a blue one laying around as well as petronics.. but as usuall they are just there, dont know f i should put those in or buy new ones..
Dr Evil
Yo Chris,
A few things that you may already know, but that I have experienced and want to pass on.

1. when removing the engine, make sure to remove the ground strap at the back of the tranny. I have done forgotten this soo many times and it is a pain to do while ballancing your tranny/eng in a jack.

2. When going to Mexico you will pass through the area with the lights. If you get red you will have to go to the right side for secondary inspection. If you are trailering a car, you will have to go to the right hand side for secondary inspection. They will want to see you registration, and it MUST be current. I made the mistake of grabbing my old registration when I trailered my car down for paint and I was turned around at the border and sent home. It only cost me an extra hour dry.gif

3. You can remove injectors with engine in car. It is not too hard. Just remove the retaining nuts that hold the collars around the injectors (these will be obvious). then unclamp your fuel lines and plug them. Simple.

I wish I still was in SD so I could help, but you do have a bunch of help in that area so long as they are not booked. I have recieved help from Don, and Cloudbuster (Mark) to name a few. Great fellas, you are lucky to be living there. beer.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 01:14 PM)
Yo Chris,
A few things that you may already know, but that I have experienced and want to pass on.

1. when removing the engine, make sure to remove the ground strap at the back of the tranny. I have done forgotten this soo many times and it is a pain to do while ballancing your tranny/eng in a jack.

2. When going to Mexico you will pass through the area with the lights. If you get red you will have to go to the right side for secondary inspection. If you are trailering a car, you will have to go to the right hand side for secondary inspection. They will want to see you registration, and it MUST be current. I made the mistake of grabbing my old registration when I trailered my car down for paint and I was turned around at the border and sent home. It only cost me an extra hour dry.gif

3. You can remove injectors with engine in car. It is not too hard. Just remove the retaining nuts that hold the collars around the injectors (these will be obvious). then unclamp your fuel lines and plug them. Simple.

I wish I still was in SD so I could help, but you do have a bunch of help in that area so long as they are not booked. I have recieved help from Don, and Cloudbuster (Mark) to name a few. Great fellas, you are lucky to be living there. beer.gif

dont have a gound strap mueba.gif

thats what Iwill need to put on once its done.. I cant find my registration so i need to go and get a new one, but its current..

i will work on the injectors, so i can bring them home with me. I feel im lucky to live down here, its difficult to meet people if you are new but i enjoy my time here..
Dr Evil
No ground strap?! No wonder your car is running like crap. It is kind of a necessity for the electrical things huh.gif
hmeeder
Chris;

I'd be glad to help, but Don's right, you didn't give us much notice, eh? Friday night is out. I'm at work.

Cloudbuster and I dropped his motor in about 45 minutes one evening.

Double check that you even need the triplesquare CV joint tool. Several of those have been changed to a standard 8mm allen head.

And Mike is right, no groundstrap? That's gonna cause problems.

the triplesquare looks like this
Allan
Ya gotta have a ground.

If you were willing to come up this way I would help you drop the motor.

We could put the car on a lift and have it out in 30 minutes. I could even store the car for a couple weeks. Longer if you help me cut up the tub I have taking up space.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 04:53 PM)
Ya gotta have a ground.

If you were willing to come up this way I would help you drop the motor.

We could put the car on a lift and have it out in 30 minutes. I could even store the car for a couple weeks. Longer if you help me cut up the tub I have taking up space.

I'm sorry for the short notice, but like I tried to explain, the reason was that my friend cancelled on me yesterday. Otherwise he would have been my help. I'm taking the car to mexico with john rogers to have my tub cleand and fixed for minor rust. then painted of course. Rght now I'm not sure what I will make them do since I will have the engine in the car and wont have the abiltiy to paint the engine bay sad.gif thus due to no trailer.. I dont think Uhal will let me take a trailer to mexico either av-943.gif

As for the ground strap, NOW I know thanks to Clayton (and brad roberts) that I dont have one.. I am in the process of ordering one from PP I think Clayton said.

thanks guys I really appretiate the help, and once I'm up and running after my first pull, give me a call and I'll help you out! Well, I'll help out know if I can do something for you!
Dr Evil
I used a Uhaul (illegally) to take my car to Mex. I got the insurance on it and I am glad I did as a cab driver hit the trailer while I was down there. Good thing he kept going after we got them sepparated dry.gif biggrin.gif

The Uhaul is a pig magnet! When my newly painted PORSCHE was sitting in it and I was in traffic on the way back I was almost hit again by a duschbag murging while talking on his cell phone in his big ass truck. As I am hanging out the window of my car yelling at him to stop a cop saw me, saw my car, and decided he needed to talk to me. He claimed that I was not allowed to have the Uhaul in Mex with out the special authorization (that does not exist) and tried to extort $400 from me. "Lucky" me I only had $100 bs.gif Dushbags. It was the only time that I got extorted, but I would keep it legal if I were you. Current registration and a legal trailer.

Funny, I didnt get stopped when it looked like a turd dry.gif
Allan
If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done. You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

Get the car here, I'll help you pull the motor and clean up the engine bay (up to 3000 psi steam available) and get a welder to help repair whatever problems you may have, plus a parts car to take pieces from as long as the hell hole is not fried.

I'll also store the car while the motor is being worked on if you help me cut up the parts tub.
Dr Evil
What a deal!

Allan must be lonely wink.gif

Honestly, Chris. You can have it done fast, quick, or right. Pick one. If you rush this you will be kicking your self later.

Twystd1
Chris,

Do it any way you want to... This is how we all learned.

Take notice of the following. From what you have told me.

When you do it YOUR WAY..

It gets expensive and doesn't get done right.

Does another week or two to "GET IT RIGHT" really make that big of a differance in the long run?

Only you know the answer. I have no clue what your time frames are and your time constraints.

Me.... No way would I send the car to Los Panchos with the engine in it.

They would have to pull the engine and tranny to clean the engine compartment and handle ANY repairs in that area.

Do you have the new mounts ready for them so you can mount your computer?

Or are you going to let it dangle and keep getting it smacked each time you go over a bump?????

Now think about this..

Does LosPanchos know how to rewire, put fuel lines on, set up the throttle cable, make sure all vacuum lines are installed correctly?

Do they have the CV tool?

And on and on??????

Are you going to have to fix their mistakes when you have never done it yourself?

Dude... take a breath... Pull the engine out in San Diego.

Do it right.. Do it once.

Treat your car like royalty. It will inturn treat you the same.

(as it rusts before your eyes wink.gif)

Twystd1
MattR
I sent my 912 to tj with the engine in it. It was a complete car, I just told them not to touch the engine bay. I'm going to paint it black on my own time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.