Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Pull in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Allan
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 22 2006, 06:03 PM)
I sent my 912 to tj with the engine in it. It was a complete car, I just told them not to touch the engine bay. I'm going to paint it black on my own time.

The problem with your offer is that we know that you ride the shorter bus to school.

If that's okay with everyone then go for it...
Twystd1
Matt,

God dam kids...... Here we go again.....

His whole engine compartment is covered in oil.

His engine leaks like a sieve.

I don't think I want a freshly painted car that will LOSE it's shine and have the oil start eating my paint the fist day i drive it with a new paint job..

Constant covering of oil eats paint. (like your type3)

Matt, I know your 912. I have worked on it. In fact... Crap.. I work on all your cars..... I think I fixed the T-Bird when I pissed in your gas tank..

But I digress.......

Differant parameters here.. The engine and possibly the tranny need some oil fixing.. like bad...

I personally wouldn't do it after a paint job...

Your thoughts??? (ya little shit)

Twystd1
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 05:30 PM)
If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done. You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

Get the car here, I'll help you pull the motor and clean up the engine bay (up to 3000 psi steam available) and get a welder to help repair whatever problems you may have, plus a parts car to take pieces from as long as the hell hole is not fried.

I'll also store the car while the motor is being worked on if you help me cut up the parts tub.

wow, I can't pass on that offer really!

This weekend is not a good time for me anyways, and YES, I want to do my car RIGHT! If I ever move back to sweden the car is coming with me!

So when are you avalible? This Saturday? (which would be a god one for me anyways)

As for the hell hole, I have a quarter size hole so I guess I'm not in the REALLY bad like some cars out there?!

my sidemarkes needs to be welded too, but I suppose the TJ crew does that??

I'll PM you for more info
Allan
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 22 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 05:30 PM)
If you can get it here and be willing to ride a bus or train back I'll help you get er done.  You'll have to wait on the body and paint though.

Get the car here, I'll help you pull the motor and clean up the engine bay (up to 3000 psi steam available) and get a welder to help repair whatever problems you may have, plus a parts car to take pieces from as long as the hell hole is not fried.

I'll also store the car while the motor is being worked on if you help me cut up the parts tub.

wow, I can't pass on that offer really!

This weekend is not a good time for me anyways, and YES, I want to do my car RIGHT! If I ever move back to sweden the car is coming with me!

So when are you avalible? This Saturday? (which would be a god one for me anyways)

As for the hell hole, I have a quarter size hole so I guess I'm not in the REALLY bad like some cars out there?!

PM me but better yet, call me tomorrow around 10...

We will get it done...
Dr Evil
Know this, from personally taking a few cars down to be done, some of the best work they have done actually, the key was to NEVER rush them. They will cut corners like you would not believe. I have never gotten a car back in time. I have always had to have them fix shoddy work, but in the end the extra work you do and time you give them, and the price are well worth it.

I took my car down to them with the engineout first to have them weld in a /6 mount. Then I painted the engine bay, mounted the engine, tranny, etc, then took it down for paint.

Safest best way. Do not settle for less than you bargained for when you go down there. They will take advantage of you if you are in a hurry.
Allan
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 05:36 PM)
Allan must be lonely wink.gif

You smell funny...
cbenitah
WO....

Guess I was a slow typer didnt see all of claytons and Matts comments until now.. I agree! The car is not going to TJ with the engine!! no matter what! that is why I'm greatful for claytons help, he actually told me what was wrong with it, no one has ever ben able to do that. And me looking at it doesnt make much difference, I dont know where to look.

So now its time to remember all the stuff you told me Clayton, I know the seals/gaskets may need a replace, uhm something about my clutch too but cant recall what exactly i needed to do. the injectors send them to get cleaned (better than buy new ones casue you know what you get -claytons words) lol2.gif

No, I will not put ALOT of money into the engine, just fix the leaks and make it run like a 1.8 shall do! I'm not in any spec hurry, the "hurry" I had was that John offered me to go with him to Los Panchos, i can tell you this, i would NEVER go down there myself, then I'd come back with a $10K job and no clothes! hell I would probably not come back at all.. Hopefully I can go with someone else that needs to go down there soon.
Allan

Call me in the morning after 9:00 am....

The number is 1-(661) 979-2266.

If the rest of you pervs call me I will track you down... biggrin.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 22 2006, 06:28 PM)
Matt,

God dam kids...... Here we go again.....

His whole engine compartment is covered in oil.

His engine leaks like a sieve.

I don't think I want a freshly painted car that will LOSE it's shine and have the oil start eating my paint the fist day i drive it with a new paint job..

Constant covering of oil eats paint. (like your type3)

Matt, I know your 912. I have worked on it. In fact... Crap.. I work on all your cars..... I think I fixed the T-Bird when I pissed in your gas tank..

But I digress.......

Differant parameters here.. The engine and possibly the tranny need some oil fixing.. like bad...

I personally wouldn't do it after a paint job...

Your thoughts??? (ya little shit)

Twystd1

I wasnt trying to make you wrong. I was trying to introduce the option of rattle-caning the engine bay after it got back.

I didnt know you had rust either. They will fix rust and the side markers and all that good stuff.

Did you by chance piss in the back seat of the t-bird too? Because the inside smells like piss, and ive been trying to chase it. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2006, 05:36 PM)
Allan must be lonely wink.gif

You smell funny...

biggrin.gif Get yer nose out of there rolleyes.gif

Chris,
If you have no actual ground strap then your clutch cable and throttle cable are likely standing in for you.

Unfortunatly, this means that thery are erroding and will likely break in the near future. I would recommend ordering new ones. Just my experience. biggrin.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 22 2006, 06:41 PM)

Call me in the morning after 9:00 am....

The number is 1-(661) 979-2266.

If the rest of you pervs call me I will track you down... biggrin.gif

ha, now it sounded like I cant do it this weekend, I can do everything its just i didnt have anyone taking me down to TJ thats all.. I'd love to get er done this weekend. (as much as possible)

rust??! no no, its not that bad! Got some small stuff laying around but nothing major at all.. to much oil everywhere to make it rust biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
SD to bakerstucky = 4hrs?

walking home chris?
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 22 2006, 06:58 PM)
SD to bakerstucky = 4hrs?

walking home chris?

I hope not! Thats a long ass walk lol2.gif I got some friends up there, and wouldnt it be possible to fix the leaks and mounts in one weekend? I can work real hard if I have someone telling me what to do...

(the injectors will be sent off from here) unless someone has a pair of fresh ones for me?!?!
Twystd1
Hey allan.

because there is no ground strap..

The engine dies when ya put in the clutch.. I know. I drove the car..

Instaground break..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We put a new accelarator cable in it at Joes.

Check the clutch cable. It has been acting as the ground strap since the previous mechanic stuck a fucking starter relay down by the tranny.

Cause he didn't know 914s needed a ground strap. Or he just hosed Christopher. ( thats my assumption based on the story Chris gave me)

A bunch of clowns have touched this car before it got to Joes.

They didn't know JACK.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (kinda like me, but worse)

The cold injector leaks, the thing ran super rich when I got it.
(by passed it, and no more smoke, yeah!!!!)

We bypassed a few things to get him home.

And please.. while the engine is out... "MARK THE FLYWHEEL" please.

I timed it by taking the dizzy to light ping on a bogging second gear transition and backing it off a bit.

One cylinder reads bout 80 lbs. others are 110 plus on a warm.. Not hot.. engine. No time for a leakdown. have no clue why it has one low cylinder.

When it is running on all 4.. it runs very nice...

or was it that other car... crap.. They all looked the same... biggrin.gif

If ya need any more data on what I know bout this engine. PM me or call.

Twystd1
Brando
Cris, I'll call my guy tomorrow and see what I can do for 4x injectors.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 22 2006, 08:48 PM)
Cris, I'll call my guy tomorrow and see what I can do for 4x injectors.

oh awesome!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks clayton for that explanation! Couldnt done it better myself pray.gif lol2.gif

THANKS!!!!!
Dr Evil
Twystd1 = gynocologist of the 914 world!

"they all look the same" wacko.gif biggrin.gif
cbenitah
So to all that knows what needs to be done.. is this list it?! do I need everything? do i need something else?
is there a place cheaper than Performance Products?

thanks guys

904131 Oil Seals Mainshaft Seal $3.95

904139 Wheel Seal Front Seal $5.95

904141 Oil Seals Pulley Seal $7.95

904145 Oil Seals Trans Side Cover Seal $12.95

904149 Oil Seals Flywheel Seal $12.95

904127 Fuel Injector O-Rings Large $0.95

904126 Fuel Injector O-Rings Small $0.95

903746 Transmission Ground Strap $15.95

904538 Clutch Cables $16.95

905507 914 Battery Tray $44.95

905504 914 Battery Tray Support $26.95

904476 Engine Mount 24.95

904109 Engine Gasket Sets $62.95

Subtotal: $238.35
Dr Evil
Try GPR (german parts and restoration), and EBS (engine builder supply. Great customer service, just call em).

cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 01:35 PM)
Try GPR (german parts and restoration), and EBS (engine builder supply. Great customer service, just call em).

looks about the same in price.. at least for seals etc.. i know GTP has engine mounts cheaper but I dont know how lng they take to ship stuff..
Brad Roberts
Or call me.

858-693-9911

I can pull the engine Friday night for free. It will take 2 hours (3 if you dont stand back)

B
Brad Roberts
The parts you listed can be had here locally for the same prices.

B
Allan
Don't forget:

CV bolts & washers
Flywheel bolts & washer
Viton push rod tube seals (I think the gasket kit still comes with the crappy type)
Tranny input shaft seal (just in case yours is leaking)
Aaron Cox
dude - take brad up on his offer.

how you getting your car and engine back home chris?
Allan
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Feb 23 2006, 01:39 PM)
The parts you listed can be had here locally for the same prices.

B

Hey Brad,

Can you set him up on everything he needs?

Just gonna pull the motor and replace every seal that can be done without pulling the motor apart.

All the tranny seals would be good to have as well.
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 01:41 PM)

He's gonna drive it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 23 2006, 02:42 PM)

He's gonna drive it.

he wants the motor out so he can take his car to paint i thought?
eeyore
I'm still available Friday night. I wasn't looking forward to rolling around in the dirt, in the dark, on a cold (for San Diego) night.
hmeeder
I wasn't looking forward to rolling around in the dirt, in the dark, on a cold (for San Diego) night.

Isn't that a regular Friday night for you Mark? biggrin.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 23 2006, 02:42 PM)

He's gonna drive it.

he wants the motor out so he can take his car to paint i thought?

yea paint is the thought..

Since its in San Diego I could probably find someone to haul the engine over to my friends house.. Dont really know where Brad is at but thats a later problem and not as big as the rest of them out there biggrin.gif

now I just need to fnd a trailer to get down to TJ Sat..

Do I need everything I have on my list?

Sending an email to brad soon with all the parts..

thanks
cbenitah
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Feb 23 2006, 01:52 PM)
I'm still available Friday night. I wasn't looking forward to rolling around in the dirt, in the dark, on a cold (for San Diego) night.

haha, maybe im missing something in this statement, you are saying you dont want to help but you are avalible?! ahaha, sorry if this makes me confused..
eeyore
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Feb 23 2006, 01:55 PM)
I wasn't looking forward to rolling around in the dirt, in the dark, on a cold (for San Diego) night.

Isn't that a regular Friday night for you Mark? biggrin.gif

Yes, but the Ford-load o' hound dogs help keep things warm. They don't like traveling, nor do they like PB.
cbenitah
So Brad got most of my parts ordered smilie_pokal.gif Thank you so much!

Now I just have a question, I'm not an experienced tow guy (as you probably already figured out) If I went with a UHAL dolly, the ones that just lifts the front wheels, would that work? Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Allan
The dollies work fine. I towed mine a bunch of time using one. Just make sure it's out of gear and the emergency brake is off. wink.gif
Dr Evil
I towed my car to PA from CA with the uhaul dolly.

Make sure your steering wheel locks! If not youare in for a bad suprise.....ask me how I know dry.gif

Don't go to Mex with the Uhaul rolleyes.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 07:20 PM)

Don't go to Mex with the Uhaul rolleyes.gif

wait wait wait now..

I didnt see any uhal stickers on the dolly thats why I thought it may be ok! no?! sad.gif it seams like its not that easy then to take the car down,, maybe I just push it down there.. i need the exersice and its not harder than a hockey camp cool.gif

hmm...............................

just when it seamed so simple
Dr Evil
I did tow several cars down on the Uhaul dolly. It was only the absoleut last trip when I had my beautiful car in on it that the pig got me. No one says anything unless thay are looking for some $$ from you and if you look poor and speak only Sweedish to them youcan probably get by. Its all part of the budget adventure biggrin.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 07:43 PM)
I did tow several cars down on the Uhaul dolly. It was only the absoleut last trip when I had my beautiful car in on it that the pig got me. No one says anything unless thay are looking for some $$ from you and if you look poor and speak only Sweedish to them youcan probably get by. Its all part of the budget adventure biggrin.gif

hahaha, well if they ask me anything I'll just tell them I'm part of the swedish maffia and I know the guy who drove the ENZO ph34r.gif haha, well, I'll see if I can dig up some other options otherwise this seams like only way out..
Dr Evil
As a rule of thumb, I always traveled with $40-60 ONLY in my wallet so I could pull out only that mutch to pay off a cop if need be. Of course the one day I get stopped I had nothing but a $100 bill that I had as change from the work being done dry.gif rolleyes.gif
cbenitah
well, I dont like bills at all.. so I dont travel with em..

Does Los Panchos take VISA? Or do I need to bring cash.. scary to get caught with THAT much cash in your pants headbang.gif
Dr Evil
CASH only. And you will need to leave a deposit so es you will ahve lots of money on you.

I used to walk down there with the cash, but I am 6'2' 210lbs and bald.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 09:36 PM)
CASH only. And you will need to leave a deposit so es you will ahve lots of money on you.

I used to walk down there with the cash, but I am 6'2' 210lbs and bald.

and I have played hockey with they guys down in Italy right now laugh.gif but what good does that make to a mean cop..

thanks
Dr Evil
Cops wont harrass you just because. If you dont look flashy, or like you are up to no good you will be fine. Just go straight to where you are intending. The federal police at the check point are no nearly as crooked. It is the traffic cops that suck.

Now you know why I used to charge for the service.

too much stresss.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2006, 09:44 PM)

Now you know why I used to charge for the service.

I can make $$$ on this as well wub.gif haha

as long as I dont forget my visa paper I think I'll be fine
Aaron Cox
you need the facts dude.

talk to john rogers, and see if he can go with you or something...

i took 2Large to mexico with me...... huh.gif
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:10 PM)
you need the facts dude.

i took 2Large to mexico with me...... huh.gif

Yeah, but they never checked your undies for cash... So you made it past okay.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 23 2006, 11:26 PM)
you need the facts dude.

i took 2Large to mexico with me......  :huh:

had a 20 in the wallet, and 2G's in a ziplock bag in my cargo shorts pocket....
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:28 PM)

i am going with john... NEVER ever that i will go alone....

up bright and early tom to harass the uhal guys!

Mugs914
you need the facts dude.

Way to go Aaron...

Large sums of cash and ziplock bags... THAT doesn't look suspicious... dry.gif

Best of luck Cris... Keep us posted.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mugs914 @ Feb 23 2006, 11:46 PM)
you need the facts dude.

Way to go Aaron...

Large sums of cash and ziplock bags... THAT doesn't look suspicious... dry.gif

Best of luck Cris... Keep us posted.

i was hidden from view....

lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.