Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Pull in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
MattR
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 23 2006, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:10 PM)
you need the facts dude.

talk to john rogers, and see if he can go with you or something...

i took 2Large to mexico with me......  :huh:

Yeah, but they never checked your undies for cash... So you made it past okay.

had a 20 in the wallet, and 2G's in a ziplock bag in my cargo shorts pocket....

you actually pulled out a ziploc bag full of cash at los panchos?

LOL!!!!!!!!

I just pulled out a steaming wad of cash and threw it down like I was some rich white kid.
Mugs914
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 23 2006, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 23 2006, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2006, 10:10 PM)
you need the facts dude.

talk to john rogers, and see if he can go with you or something...

i took 2Large to mexico with me......  :huh:

Yeah, but they never checked your undies for cash... So you made it past okay.

had a 20 in the wallet, and 2G's in a ziplock bag in my cargo shorts pocket....

you actually pulled out a ziploc bag full of cash at los panchos?

LOL!!!!!!!!

I just pulled out a steaming wad of cash and threw it down like I was some rich white kid.

Yeah, I keep gettin' images of "Aaron Montana" at Los Panchos...

"Le' me innaduce you to ma leetle frenn!!!" ar15.gif
cbenitah
So how much do they need in deposit?

Going to the bank soon, don't wanna get more than i NEED..

haha, some rich kid, matt you are that guy w00t.gif
MattR
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 24 2006, 07:27 AM)
So how much do they need in deposit?

Going to the bank soon, don't wanna get more than i NEED..

haha, some rich kid, matt you are that guy w00t.gif

Thats right. Did you see my 92 thunderbird? Rollin on dubs...

I'd take down 300 bucks for deposit.
cbenitah
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 24 2006, 11:52 AM)
Thats right. Did you see my 92 thunderbird? Rollin on dubs...

I'd take down 300 bucks for deposit.

didnt see it but I can hear the ladies screaming about it all the way down here..

300 buck sounds ok, now I just have to go stealth ph34r.gif and do an Aaron move with the ziplock bag..
cbenitah
WOW!

I just got an email from Brad Roberts and he found all my parts, picking them up today. He got a great deal for me too, I think I saved $100 or maybe even more. He said he can get parts to others down here in SD if they need something.

Thanks Brad
spunone
Damm How big is this Los Ponchos Paint shop is'nt there a few members with there cars down there right now.Do you need to call ahead or just drag it down there with your fingers crossed and a wad of cash in your Baggies? chairfall.gif
Dr Evil
They asked if you were a citizen? huh.gif

Try a differnet place, they are not all the same, some are independantly owned and opperated.

$300 is just fine.
cbenitah

The engine is out, its in my friends backyard for now.

Brad should have a smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif for helping me! I will post pics later now I have 6h to figure something out
cbenitah
just some shots of the engine, anyone who is jealous?

no wonder its not running good, I really like the green/yellow epoxy

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Aaron Cox
so is it going down to mex or what?
Allan
So I'm assuming that you don't need to come up next weekend?
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 25 2006, 11:36 AM)
so is it going down to mex or what?

do you know a way I can solve this? its loaded on the trailer ready to go.. so yes it is going, but when?! how?! its a big PITA here. im trying to solve it, john went down this morning i think, i dont know if i get ripped off going by myself?

did you see that the pulley was put on backwards.. great P.O who owned this car.. the good part is that there is not much rust at all anywhere, rockers looks really good
cbenitah
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 25 2006, 11:44 AM)

i wrote you and email,, didnt you get it? my car wouldnt have made it up there, so I got an offer to borrow a truck yest. but as you probably saw that was an empty promise...
Aaron Cox
does john have a truck?

why did john go down there without you?

mabye its your english or maybe its me.. but im lost.
Allan
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Feb 25 2006, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 25 2006, 11:44 AM)

i wrote you and email,, didnt you get it? my car wouldnt have made it up there, so I got an offer to borrow a truck yest. but as you probably saw that was an empty promise...

All the e mails go to my office and I left early yesterday to go screw off. No problem. I'm glad you got the motor dropped.

Hope you can find a tow vehicle to get it down to Los Panchos.
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 25 2006, 11:55 AM)
does john have a truck?

why did john go down there without you?

mabye its your english or maybe its me.. but im lost.

its my english for sure!

he has a truck and his car was on it, i have a trailer (brad's) but no truck, not even a small car with a tow hitch, remember i know no one down here
cbenitah
just talked to john, his trip went fine he was in and out in less than 2h, pretty good. We decided that I will go with him next sat 9am when he picks up his car. now i have some work to do with engine and engine bay for now, maybe even prepp the car better than it is. who knows, i will update with some images later..

thanks guys for letting me bounce my ideas around here
Twystd1
There is no such things as accidents.

This was the way it was supposed to play out...

YEAH!!!!!

Now you have an opportunity to do it correctly.

Clean the hell out of that engine bay. (Squeaky clean)

While your at it.

Check the pipe/tube in the engine compartment where the clutch cable comes throught the firewall... make sure that pipe (tube) is solidly affixed to the firewall...

Search "clutch tube" if ya need more info....

Make sure that you have the RIGHT metal pieces to take to Los Panchos for your battery tray AND your ECU (computer)..

They are going to have to weld that in. (Above hell hole)

Ya can't have that ECU dangling around anymore.....

Dude, i am happy for you.. This is turning out exactly the right way..

"The Force is with you Christopher"

Giterdone bro...

Twystd1
cbenitah
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 25 2006, 02:48 PM)

Clean the hell out of that engine bay. (Squeaky clean)

Make sure that you have the RIGHT metal pieces to take to Los Panchos for your battery tray AND your ECU (computer)..

They are going to have to weld that in. (Above hell hole)

i got the battery traysupport from Brad yesterday, i get the tray next week. is there a piece you buy for the ECU?

i have just taken off my front and rear bumper.. side markers, and some stuff, I working on my headlights now, they are a little tricky actually,

I got SO much oil and Dirt underneath the car, wheel weels, floor pans engine bay,

should I clean it before it goes down? or do they, if I am doing with, any recomendation on how to get the grease and oil out?

thanks

clayton, when this is done we have the engine to figure out, it looks bad from where i am at.. low compression is new everything right? dont like the sound of this..
toon1
looks like you had the tow chain on the engine bar trick.....
cbenitah
QUOTE (toon1 @ Feb 25 2006, 03:18 PM)
looks like you had the tow chain on the engine bar trick.....

what are you reffering too? havent towed my car yet...
Twystd1
Pressure washer and soap and water. Add about a day of elbow grease (labor) and you will be done cleaning the little beast.

If you clean it up.. you know it will be done RIGHT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can give your engine a COLD cylinder leak down test or a compression test while it sits on the ground.

Brad or one of the fellas can help you with that.

In reality. Unless you have the bucks. Just run the engine as is.

if ya have the money for a re-build... Now is the time.

Just depends on money...

I think your engine will run fine for a while. not perfect. but plenty good enough.

You engine doesn't make any bad noises and it doesn't smoke...
Hell.. i would run it.....

If ya wanna go fast... Buy another (bigger) engine from one of the guys here on the club.

By the way...

Check your rear shift bushing (search function) while you have the engine out....

NOW is the time for that. And they are cheap..

In fact install a complete shifter bushing kit... cause ya need it.....

Your shifter is a bit sloppy. the fix is cheap.........

Again use the search funtion here for tha data...

Twystd1
cbenitah
Here is what I got done day 1 in the process.. you may think its nothing, but for a guy like me and not owning any spec tools.. I'm pretty satisfied, tired as shit after the bumper bolts, they havent been moved in the last 32 years..

Aaron Cox
good job man.

pull your seat tracks, hedlight doors etc.... rubber seals... everything.
Dr Evil
Yes, remove all of the rubber that you safely can or it may get painted.
TINCAN914
Nice Job Chris smilie_pokal.gif Keep it up..
dlo914
good job! keep it up! smilie_pokal.gif
cbenitah
this is where the questions come in.. The P.O went to Maco or Walmart to paint the car, all my rubber seals are already painted.. red and they crack when you do anything to them.. since the car will not be red after Los Panchos, what to do? remove em and paint the red black, buy new ones (dont have the money though) or go without until i do have money?

Aaron, I cant get the headlights out.. I have some screws that are too rusty and worn out.. how do I get them out?? cant figure out how the rockers are attatched either, also the bolts are on SUPER hard. (seat tracks??) you mean brackets? what about the big piece behind the seats? is that to be removed? the black pads underneath the targa bar and the inside of the b pillar? how about this, give me a list on what NOT to mess with instead..

I will go at it tomorrow and hopefully all i have left is to take it somewhere they have a high pressure wash so i can clean it (under side) BTW is that illegal to do? sincei have a ton of oil under there...

forgot, I trashed a bunch of stuff today, dunno if anyone wnated it i highly doubt it though, but my bumpers, targa trim, targa vinyl, firewall crap and some trunk carpets...

should i remove my carpet inside the car? bever got an answer there.. and if I do should I try to keep it and install it again or go with new carpet? mine looks REALLY good think, bt maybe its time for a color change there as well

haha, i keep forgetting.. WIRING??? should I pull everything out? and install new ones? r the same ones? since there is a bunch of wire or just mask it of? sorry, never done this to a car, and I wont show it to my friends in swden until its done, they would think im crazy hahah
Twystd1
DO NOT MESS WITH THE WIRNG YET.

Read below...........................

This is a trick that Aaron used.. And it saved our/his ass on more than one occasion.

Take pictures of ALL the wiring connection you remove. Use a digital camera.

That way when it come time to put em back on... you set up the laptop and use the ORIGINAL pictures to show ya WhaZzz up..

Take close ups so you can see the color coding of the wires and you can see what Pin/tab they are mounted to..

Will save ya a crap load of time....

AND... if ya can't get nuts or bolts loose... By some PB blaster at the auto parts store.

Liquid wrench if ya can't find "PB Blaster".

Squirt the shit out of the fastener... Smack it a couple of times (at least a couple.. More is good) lightly to get the PB working on down the threads....
Just don't smack threads.... Dont screw up the fasteners if at all possible.

If it doesn't come loose quickly................ STOP..
Let the chemical do the work for you..

If all fails... Leave the fastener till the next day. squirt again... Lightly tap the hell out of it to make the PB follow the threads... And try again.......

Then if ya have to.. hit the fastener with a propane torch. Try to un fasten with heat... Don't burn the car up whilst playing the torch on the fasteners.

There are many tricks to removing fasteners.. And I know a bunch of em.... and they take time and care. it's easier to carress em out most of the time than it is to break em....

ya just gotta know how....

Thats why ya have my phone number.....

There are a bunch of guys here that know tons more than me...

Brad, the Captain, Brett and many other guys..

if ya can't reach me.. PM those guys. they have technical assistance that is hard core.

Straight up.. I wish I had a week to give to you... But those are just words.

By the way... Most everything I learned at the beginning. was just like this... trial and error. (expensive error)

Ya should of gone to UCI.... In the Big OC.... wink.gif

Lemme know how it goes.. And take your time...

There isn't a anything that you are about to do that isn't covered on some thread via the search funtion.. (Say's Matt)

Rock on My Red haired friend... And save the Swedish 23 year olds babes for me...

Cause old guys need love too... shocked[1].gif
cbenitah
thanks, that was alot of new words and methods i need to catch up with, you said not to mess with wire.. so tape it down? but you also said take pics of it sad.gif i'll do both to be sure.

i wouldnt need a week with you, after 12h i learned more than i ever done before!(so after 12h more that would be enough for a good start) you should make the $$ writing a bok and then you can publish it in sweden and get all the blond blue eyes you ever dreamed of!

thanks!

could you PM me your # again, i wanted to call you today but cant find it,
cbenitah
some scary shit clayton.. is this a good or a bad sign? im your WHAT post.. he he wacko.gif

Twystd1
Los Panchos may very well shoot paint on your wiring.AND the pins they go on. Unless you TELL THEM to tape it up..

I would do it myself. To cover my ass on assembly.

The paint comes off with laquer thinner by the way....

Do not remove the wiring looms from the car... Dude.. you ain't going to pebble beach for a concourse. I know that.

So for instance you take out the headlights and the plugs are dangling..

Go to Home Depot and get soem 3M (brand) Blue masking tape. The 2 inch wide stuff.

Bout 6 bucks a roll I think.. Aint cheap.. but it's the Shiznit.

Cover ALL of your wiring ENDS so they don't paint it. Cover any wiring you don't want painted.

Since your gunna be the guy putting your wires back on.. Like your headlight wires and your tail light wires and your engine wires... ETC.

YOU tape up what you think is appropriate.

Use your common sense.. Ask yourself.. What work can I do NOW.. To set myself up to win when I get the car back from the paint shop...

Whatever time you spend now. Will probably CUT your lost time trying to put it back together by a factor of 3 or more..

Sometime way more!!!! Capiche????

Cause all the kewl shit.. Is in the prep and care... BEFORE PAINT....

DO not trust Los Panchos to understand the wiring in a teener. Hell there are very few guys on this board that really know it WELL...
Including me.

So cover your ass. tape shit up.. take lotsa up close pictures of the detail stuff..

And rock the fuck on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1

cbenitah
i feel like a paparazzi for all the pics i have taken of the car today.. marked the wires in a way that make sense to me.. pretty proud if i may say so. im working on the inside of the car right now, carpets gone, rails are going and on and on..

ill post more pics later tonight.

cant miss you out on the blue sky and 85 we have there today! B-E-A utiful day!

enjoy the rain up north and east!
Aaron Cox
dude - tape the shit out of everything... i did...

search for my dissasembly thread...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
notice all the blue tape on all the wiring....

i stripped the car to nothing.......
Dr Evil
If you don't want it painted, tape it. Since I was like their buddy, they did a bit of that for me because I asked and they knew that they would see my face again so they didnt wanna piss me off. Anyone else, overspray and pray is the way.

85 and sunny finger.gif

its 29 and windy.....oh the sun is out. BFD dry.gif
cbenitah
I'm taping my ass of over here..

question, I am taking the rubber trim off right now, but its stuck! Any advise on how to get the rubber smooth?

everythin inside the car is gone now (except dash which I will keep, should i cover that too??)
jd74914
cover anything you don't want overspray on, don't chance it getting hit by overspray (unless you really don't care at all biggrin.gif )
cbenitah
wow, sheeplove.gif

k, Clayton, if this isnt the RIGHT way then I'm not sure what else to do..

Pulled out all the rubber trim there is, saved everything which im kinda proud of, too bad the P.O got the rubber painted as well, I striped the inside of everything, carpet seat brackets bolts nuts the shlabang.. I'm almost to tired to type.. Still can't get the headlights out, the rear was easy! I marked the wires ALL the wires, havent taped them down yet. I used probably 100 ziplock bags to sort the differnt screws.. I even pulled the gas tank out, too bad I missed the sending unit cable, I even tripple checked, but it was hiding underneat pretty good.. Oh, a tip, empty the ENTIRE tank before! now I'm smelling gas everywhere.. wasn't too bad though, had a bucket and filled it biggrin.gif ............... screwy.gif

WHat else should I reomove while im at it?! I tried to remove the dash, seams to be impossible! The shifter?

Here is pics of Day 2

user posted image

Who said you cant strip down a car if you only have an apartment biggrin.gif I got my storage room (SUPER TINY) sorted out and fitted everything in there
Twystd1
Slow down the brain brother...

take a deap breath.. grab some intoxicating beverage.

Drink it slow..... AAAAAAHHhhhhhhh....

Thats better.

Christopher,

Put that dam car back together. Or it will sit there and kick your ass.

Thats what ya have the team for.
Our knowledge.
Your labor.
And some labor of ours when we have time and you supply the swedish chicks, food, beverages and No Rap music. (Sorry Matt)

The gift of these little cars is in the experiance of making them come alive again.

And creating in the end result something even better than what Porsche imagined.

Cause we have 35 years of newer technology to help us.

It kinda changes ya permanently... In a good way.

You are about 100 man hours from being basicly done. Like dam nice and handling like a slot car.

You are about 30 man hours from being drivable again after Los Panchos. (puttin car back together)

The only thing we have to figure out now is...
Where the hell is all of that engine oil is coming from.????????

We have to fix that before ya put that engine back in...

And lastly. If ya can afford insurance on two cars... get a cheap runner for a back up car and parts runner.

I don't think I personally know anyone that has a teener as their only Mode of transpo. (cept maybe brando a while back)

Now send those injectors out for cleaning.. Pronto.

Twystd1

Dr Evil
Dawg, yoos need some 914 Ritalin wink.gif

The proposition that you put forth will surely lead you to less happiness and more money down the drain followed by frustration and a sale for pennies on the dollar.

Do a search, this has happend over and over again.

Assemble it so you have a WORKING work in progress.

just my humble opinion beer.gif
jd74914
Take out the front, behind bumper plugs or McMark might kill you Chris biggrin.gif

And MHO is the same as the good doctors. Make it a running work in progress.
Twystd1
Aaron... yuos gots da pic of the front bumper plugs removed????????????

or anyone else???

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
You are about 30 man hours from being drivable again after Los Panchos. (puttin car back together)

av-943.gif

ok ok.... triple that.... and you got me beat ROFL
Twystd1
I said driveable.... Not like really drivable.. I meant like if ya put it at the top of a hill and pushed it drivable..

Like a soap box derby drivable...

Like if Slits was doing it... EEErrrr... I mean MattR.... Oh Shit...

I mean if he is lucky....

OK... Damit... Alright Aaron... CRAP....if he smokes crack for 30 hours solid
I still think he can pull it off.

So there... And my Mom can kick your dads ass.......................

Twystd1

Aaron Cox
body plugs removed....

user posted image
Twystd1
How the hell do you do that?????????

Insta pic...........

Twystd1
cbenitah
I guess I am the only one here with my 914 as my ONLY car.. Yea you are right! It was the sun that killed, me! he he ..

I found 4 injectors from a -75 1.8L that I got from a nice guy here at the club.. same ones? or should I just trust that after a cleaning mine will be ok.

After seeing my engine on the ground, ouch, looks like rocket science for this swede. I just saw tons of hours trying to figure the engine part out and not having a car is difficult.. had two different swedish girls driving me to places today, since right now and for maybe 2-3 weeks i'll be handicapt..

I'm liking what I see hapening to my car though!

I just got confsed in the front trunk, I assume that the hoses and plastic bines I saw was the blower fan with hoses? but is it just to go nuts on them and unscrew it.. I have everything organized so assemble should be fairly straight forward.

thanks clayton! you are the wise man here!
cbenitah
i know about the plugs! but mine are black red.. since the P.O didnt do so!

should I still remove em?

and how the HECK do I remove the dash?! no really explanation in the search engine for that
Twystd1
Yes.. Pull plugs... be nice to em... they will come out in one piece.

Look for the dash removal thread in the search function.. It's easy.

If your a midget.

Naw it ain't that bad. I think 8 nuts and few scraped nuckles.

And a bit of cursing.

And some death bed chants..

And a couple of "I am a victim of this thing" quotes.

Yo.. I could have yours off in twenty minutes.. EASY....

Okay... really a half hour.. crap... Aaron might be reading this.. OK.. one hour.... cause my wrists don't turn so good anymore...

Pull ashtray.. Pull end vents, pull glove box and have at it.

Use the search funtion... There are great pictures of somebody doing it somewhere on this site.

Don't start till you read the thread... it will save you time.. Did me!!!!

Twystd1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.