Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: thieves stole my stuff!
fiid
post Mar 26 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #21

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

On a happier note - perhaps you should head down to sears and hook yourself up with some new shiny happy tools!!!

(loss is always and excuse for an update!).

Sorry Trekkor - that sucks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 26 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #22

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Sincerest apologies Trekkor. I know the other guy's didn't mean to start a shooting match with high-and-mighty-gun toting-know your rights man.

I think we need to set up a spare tool collection. Hopefully the theives get apprehended and punnished appropriately.

I also agree with Fiid. Nice new shiney tools bought with (hopefully) insurance money can always be nice.
+Quote Post
arc914
post Mar 26 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,905

hi trekkor
hey sorry to hear. if it's any help. I have some doubles.and i am sure that if you post alist of your main stuff,we can all pitch in and get you up and run asap until the ins check arrives.just looking to help
It's funny this came up my sherage is open right now-wide open.
Sherage for those that are curious is where i work on my 914-it is bigger than a shed but noy as big as a garage hence sherage 16x16
arc914
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 26 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #24

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Everything will be fine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

thanks , Chris ( alpha ) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

I don't have what it takes to read all the political fixes right now.

As for the tools,
I need to go and get the basics first.

At the track the other guys will loan me what I don't have.

I'm just glad the ball socket that threads onto the end of the throttle cable was in the front seat of the car an not in my tool box.

KT
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 26 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #25

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 26 2006, 08:45 PM)
Everything will be fine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

thanks , Chris ( alpha ) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)

No problem, Trekkor. I didn't mean to come off as some sort of Nazi or something. That got a little out of hand a little fast.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 26 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #26

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GTPatrick
post Mar 26 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,768
Region Association: None

Trekkor, . . .

Don't now if this would help but when I was at Sears 2 days ago. They had a closeout sale on two types of their Craftsman intermediate 3 drawer took boxes that go in between their roll away and upper multi drawer boxes.

One that had a locking bar in front of the drawers went for $19.99 and the other one which had locking drawers only went for $39.99 . They both were 3 drawers and were red Craftmans brand. Don't know if that is out there in Ca. but you may want to try and look.

Their regular prices were I believe $139 and around $200 a piece respectively.

Man it sucks that some scum bag ripped you off. Probably some crack addict or something . (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

Personally, I don't trust the assholes out there on the street. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/WTF.gif) Have a house security system thats connected to my garage door too.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 27 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,022

Hi Trekkor, sorry to hear about the tools, that sucks. Hope everything turns out ok.

Someday someone will catch one of these b@$tard$ is the act and they will get a good kicking in the nutts.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif) to all you theivin SOB's
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Mar 27 2006, 02:38 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm in my first year of college and 400 miles from home. I had been building my tool collection since I was 14 or so (7 years or so). My collection probably wasn't as extensive as yours, but in early november I had my top box and everything I had stolen with a bunch of specialty tools. To make matters worse it was the second time in a month I had stuff stolen, just the second time they found my tools. My parents home owners paid for some of it, but their deductable was pretty high, and after depreciation and everything I didn't get back much...

BUT if you go to sears, and don't buy the first good deal you see, you can get a hell of a set of everything in a package deal for relatively cheap. I got a catalog and shopped around for a couple months before I bought a new top box, huge tool set, and a smaller box for toating around for a fraction of what the amount of money I originally spent on my smaller tool set. Sears has "close out" sales all the time, so don't pay much attention to them, just figure out what you want and give it a little time.

So now my tools are locked in my room in my closet where nobody could get them out of let alone even find. If only home owners would have paid for my deck, subs, amp, intake and air cleaner, drivers door window, and incredibly bad feeling of being completely and totally helpless. You want to talk about feeling like running home with your tail between your legs...But now I've learned my lesson, my car doesn't get parked anywhere except directly outside my bedroom window with it's alarm on, and my closet is always shut with a tool box all locked up in it.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 27 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #30

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) Ouch and freaky!

I am finally getting around to putting up a fence and gate to our back yard. I'll feel a little better knowing it will take more effort to get in and out of our property soon. Helps to deter the unwanted.

Sorry for the loss Trekkor. I have tools that are 20+ years old myself. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 27 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #31

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Sorry to hear this. Stuff can be replaced but the thought that people are watching you and your place and waiting for you to leave so they can steal stuff totally sucks.

A couple of years ago a neighbor had her purse stolen from her kitchen table. House was locked, they were sleeping, heard a crash, went downstairs to investigate. They saw broken glass and a brick. Thief saw her purse on the table through a window, broke the sliding door window, grabbed the purse and ran. Total time of break-in: about 8 seconds. Police found the purse minus cash a couple of towns away. Now when we go to bed, I make sure that none of our stuff (purses, cameras, laptops) are visible through windows.

In a way, one can catorgorize people into 2 basic groups: the haves and the have-nots. We are basically in the haves group. We have jobs, houses, cars, money, responsibilities. Getting caught stealing almost anything will ruin our lives. The have-nots don't have jobs, houses, cars, money. They have nothing to lose if they get caught with your tools, caught stealing jeans from a department store, or like last week at the Target store my daughter works at, stealing $690 in music and game CDs.

Hope things work out for you. If I was closer, I'd let you borrow any tools you need.

Spoke
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Mar 27 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #32

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

The worst part of it all is definitely that feeling like people were casing your joint, but what can you do, that's life. They will get what's coming to them and the chances they would ever come back is probably slim...

Trekkor, Do you live in an "unlocked door at night" type of town?
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Mar 27 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,461

Sorry to hear about your tools, that really sucks. It's a shame that you have to protect yourself all the time, but that is todays reality.

We've had that problem where I live and I live in a great neighborhood. Great neighbors and we all watch out for each other.

One time, 4-5 guys pulled up across the street, pulled out a pizza and started eating and looking around, looked strange to me, I'd never seen them before and was working on the 914 in the driveway. I went in the house and got my camera, started taking pictures of them. They saw me, loaded up the pizza and left. Very interesting.

Now I keep a camera in the garage, take pictures of everyone walking/driving by. I'm not saying that just taking pictures did a lot, but things seem to have gotten better. Digital camera's are neat. So far since I've started doing that, we haven't had any crap going on in the hood, knock on wood. Most thief's don't like having their picture taken.

So keep a camera handy, doesn't even need any film in it, they don't know that.

I have motion detectors in the garage, you can pick them up at Harbor Freight for about $20, they are wireless, so you can carry the alarm around with you.

It's a shame we have to live like this, but if we don't protect ourself, who will? The police, yeah right.

Good Luck, Don
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 27 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #34

I do things...

an "unlocked door at night" type of town?

No.
We live out in the country so I guess I got lulled into thinking nobody was paying attention.

Who knows how many people have stopped and looked around. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

The sheriff recommended cameras.
I hate this.

KT
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 27 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,634

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 26 2006, 08:45 PM)

I'm just glad the ball socket that threads onto the end of the throttle cable was in the front seat of the car an not in my tool box.

KT

See there, that would have really pissed you off to think about some pinhead looking at that, saying what the hell is this, right before he tossed it out, drove to the pawn shop and then went to get some crack. They are out there. Guy I got my car from is a big mopar guy, he had a Hemi Roadrunner convertible, pretty ratty, but with a cool pop-up scoop hood. He left the hood locks off one time, bang, no hood. At least it is sunny and you have your health.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Mar 27 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #36

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 27 2006, 08:26 AM)
an "unlocked door at night" type of town?

No.
We live out in the country so I guess I got lulled into thinking nobody was paying attention.

Who knows how many people have stopped and looked around. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

The sheriff recommended cameras.
I hate this.

KT

There probably aren't that many people theiving shit - but out in the sticks if there's noone around - thieves are less likely to get caught in the act....

I'd try and keep everything under lock and key... cameras I would think would cost a lot of money and wouldn't necessarily help that much. Have you thought about getting a dog? (We have a Beagle who is quite cute but sounds pretty evil - the postman is genuinely scared for his life... he freaks out when we open the door to sign for packages).
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 27 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #37

I do things...

I can't decide if I should try and better secure my things today or just go to work.

Sad, isn't it? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 27 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #38

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Trek, sent you an email (business add).
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Mar 27 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #39

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Bummer Trekkor. Sorry to learn of your loss.

Stuff can be replaced.

A big dog would be a good idea (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #40

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 27 2006, 12:22 PM)
I can't decide if I should try and better secure my things today or just go to work.

Sad, isn't it? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

KT

It does suck. Sorta like the feeling one has after being a victim of an accident. After the accident it seems like everybody's out to hit your car.

OK, I'll show my age here, in high school I had a box of 8-track tapes stolen out of my car and it taught me to hide my important stuff. People won't steal something from you if they don't know you have it. Make sure your valuable stuff is out of sight if possible. I keep the shades in my garage closed at all times and garage doors closed as much as possible. Don't want anyone to see my tool chest and welder.

Spoke
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:21 PM