Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fiberglass body parts, how far to go with my 6 conversion
Lou W
post Apr 7 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #21

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

John's old Patrick Motorsports Car had fiberglass decklids and bumpers along with a high performance engine. I realize that the original intention for that car was racing, but it was used on the street and I think it still had the creature comforts, heater, etc.

Did it benifit from the lightened parts? Would it's performance be about the same with the stock items?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 7 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Grant,

where are you seeing all of this cheap new and used fiberglass?

when I see a used fiberglass lid it is usually gone in the same day that it is listed....

I'm assuming you bought your lids used...?
how many other used lids have you seen in the year that have become available since you bought yours?

I agree..
weight is a good thing to shed
now hit the scales young man!
I want to hear what your car weighs!!!!

I seriously think I shed more than 500lbs over stock, and then put 150 of it back into the car as motor weight and another 100lbs back as rollcage and bracing.

The fun thing is that all of my body panels (not bumpers) are still metal. (including my metal lids!)

I have a secret ambition to build a 2nd car as a -4cylinder metal vintage racer and get it under 1700 without fiberglass..... Possible....not easy but possible....

brant
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 7 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #23

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Cheapest way to lighten your car is for the driver to go on a diet.
Save money on food and you don't have to spend it on FG pieces.
Drop 30-50 pds. and might even help your health (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

I like Brants idea....

That is what I have decided to do with my car for now.

And if that doesn't work then go for the full 914R treatment.

Going to a Six motor adds how much weight. 100, 150, 200lbs?

Again the Smurfmobile has absolutely nothing that is not meant to go, stop or turn. Everything else is gone. Most metal replaced with FG.
Has anyone checked this year to see if AndrewB is running Nitrous?

He has at least once before.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 7 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

-6 motor is 150lbs...
plus often the oil capacity is increased and thus a tiny bit more
(we are now at 19qts of oil, which has to be a few extra pounds)

brant
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 7 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #25

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

you are right.

My oil cooler and fan is pretty heavy, not to mention the lines and extra oil..

We take weight off just to add it back on, to make the car safer and or increase longevity.
a terrible cycle. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Apr 7 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #26

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (brant @ Apr 7 2006, 08:59 PM)
Grant,

where are you seeing all of this cheap new and used fiberglass?

when I see a used fiberglass lid it is usually gone in the same day that it is listed....

I'm assuming you bought your lids used...?
how many other used lids have you seen in the year that have become available since you bought yours?

I agree..
weight is a good thing to shed
now hit the scales young man!
I want to hear what your car weighs!!!!

I seriously think I shed more than 500lbs over stock, and then put 150 of it back into the car as motor weight and another 100lbs back as rollcage and bracing.

The fun thing is that all of my body panels (not bumpers) are still metal. (including my metal lids!)

I have a secret ambition to build a 2nd car as a -4cylinder metal vintage racer and get it under 1700 without fiberglass..... Possible....not easy but possible....

brant

When you live in SF Bay Area its a bit different. We have a couple places that specialize in Porsches/914's who have some volume of used fiberglass and carbonfiber body parts cycling through their shops.

For cheap new stuff RennSpeed has stuff that doesnt fit pefectly, but it works. http://www.rennspd.com/Products.asp?Task=S...odID=13&catID=4 I personally would go with better quality fiberglass now that I have redone the car, but I'm making the Rennspeed stuff work. Its very light, but flexes and doesnt fit perfectly.

I have even found free fiberglass spoilers and rear set of fenders that were are in perfect condition. Ebay has cheap stuff occasionally too.

I could stand to lose about 75 lbs but taking weight off the car is so much easier! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
don9146
post Apr 8 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,500

QUOTE (brant @ Apr 7 2006, 07:48 PM)
I've got to start proof reading better...
I should have put 67lbs total.. (because of adding back the glass f/r lids)

I absolutely agree that every bit helps
and I perfectly understand that 67 lbs is A LOT
I also understand that you don't have to repaint the car and that paint cost doesn't have to factor into the equation.

still I think my point remainst the same that for over a grand you are going to shed what seems like not a whole lot of weight.

you can easily find 67lbs in the car elsewhere for free (just unbolt stuff) I agree with JP that the doors and door glass are the motherload of cheap weight. Next pull all of the heating and ventilation and headlights.....

1000 bucks is beaucoup money.
and would buy a fresh set of sticky hoosiers that will make up more time than 67lbs will.

brant

Where can I unbolt 67 lbs on a street car? I'm loking to trim some weight from the teener and I'm just curious...

Thanks,
Don
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 8 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #28

914 Wizard

remember, I'm talking about a race car...
so on a street car I would start with all of the floor board insulation/tar

next take out the insulation in the engine bay

then the rubbber insulation matt behind the seat back pad

then the headlights, fog lights, horns, headlight motors, fresh air ventilation, rear heat system and heat exchangers, door glass, rear glass, door regulators, dash, interior....

heck I pulled the full wiring harness and saved about 20lbs right there.
(rewired only what was necessary with aircraft grade wiring that is lighter weight)

like I said, I'm talking about racing.
a lot of things would be nice to have still if it was a street car
still you can take all of the insulation and tar out of a street car and save about 75lbs, with the only trade off being road noise.

brant
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 8 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #29

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Hi Bill,

This is a great subject. I'm going to weigh in here ( (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) ) and say that you can get close to Andrew B with the right combination of power, weight reduction, and driving. A few years ago with our 914-6 Andrew, Steve N. and I were within thousandths of a second of each other. And our cars were setup very differently. The Smurfmobile is the lightest as they have pulled off much of the engine auxillary equipment. Last time I looked, "team smurf" had pulled off the alternator and cooling fan. That is why on really hot days they normally push the car to the start line. And they run with no windshield.

Our car was significantly heavier, with a full cage and a 6 motor and oil cooler system. But it also had alot more power. Our 2.7 dyno'd at 236HP at the crank. And I could rev it to 7500 RPM with a selective rev range switch (got the pill/switch idea from JP!)

I would go with 7's and 9's as the biggest flares if you wanna run TTOD. With Fritz I'm finding I have to give a little more room to get the wide rear flares around the cones. Since I wanted to have The Beast be a dual purpose car (AX, Track), the body work on it is the narrow Sheridan glass.

Here are a few links of my weight reduction program with our 914-6. There are some comments of the weight reduction and what components weigh what. It's my opinion that in order to catch the Smurfmobile you're going to have to make the car a track car only. But it's just my opinion.

Project Jenny Craig 1

Project Jenny Craig 2

Project Jenny Craig 3

Keep up the work! Can't wait to see the car out there!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
billd
post Apr 9 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 4,145

Bill P., Wow. I'm truly impressed with the weight loss program you have put your car on. I'm not that ambitious. I'd also like to keep my windows working as I plan to drive the car to events rain or shine. I'm going to have to settle for some fiberglass body parts, gutting the heater, etc..., and gutting much of the interior.

Nice paint work. Perhaps I can tap you for advice whe it comes time to paint my car.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 10 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #31

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Heh.......I'd kinda forgotten about those old threads......an all too common occurance these days.

You shoulda' kept that car, Bill (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

So, need a new helmet......full face or open, I'm pondering.
Ya'll may wonder WTF this has to do with auto weight loss.....if I don't have a windshield, I'll *need* full face. A man's got to have a plan (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:32 PM