Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - TOP SPEED!, how fast and in what car
spare time toys
post May 3 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #41

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Back when I was young dumb and full of cum I went 155 in a 73 Vette with a built up 454. How I miss that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

When I started for the airlines I got a Ninja 1000 we built it up and street raced it. They repaved the road over the dam on Lake Lavon and I saw 180 on it before I remembered the dip in the road for the spillway at the end of the dam (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) It had GOOD brakes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post May 3 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #42

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

I suppose this doesn't count but I once had a ground speed of 700 knots over Japan in a 747-200. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 3 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #43

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914-8 @ May 3 2006, 10:42 AM) *

I sometimes wonder what my 8 would do on the top end.

It has a tall geared 915, and turns around 1800 rpm at 60 mph.

So there is plenty of gear.

When you punch it at 60 in 4th or 5th, you are at 100 before you know it, so there is plenty of power.

Given the gearing, I wonder what the speed at redline would be in 5th??

Would there be enough power from 5.7 liters to get to redline?

Would the car, with no aero aids, fly off the road before then?

at about 150 the back end gets squrmy, and 160 you'll have way to much lift in the rear end to go much faster. Mostly caused by the open engine and trani compartment. If you made a skidplate that went from the floorpan to the bumper.. it should be MUCH more stable at high speeds.

PS. I've topped out my car with the GF in the car and the top off.... did it on a 1-1.5 mile stretch of closed road, at a track day...
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post May 3 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,449

186 in my C-4 while having sexual relations with a hot blond.....NO wait that was last nights liquor induced dream. Forget I said anything. Go back to what you were doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Cheers
+Quote Post
BKLA
post May 3 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #45

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A friend of mine has a continually changing collection of cars and bikes.

Here is just a few of my lucky drives with his toys:

165 indicated - Viper Coupe

160 indicated - Z06 Corvette (slightly modified - wink wink!)

175 indicated - S55 AMG sedan

145 indicated - Honda RC51

155 indicated - ducati 996SP

135 indicated - Honda CBR900RR
____

Personally,

157 (radar) Mustang GT firehawk racecar on backstraight at Riverside Raceway - (the dogleg becomes a drifting corner at that speed!) whoa BRAKES into turn 9 banking!)
+Quote Post
TimT
post May 3 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #46

retired

Member No.: 313

the dark side of 200mph in the 935

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MEMtheMercifull
post May 3 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #47

Mark E. Mayes

Member No.: 5,830

170MPH maybe more on a Ducati 996 The reason I say maybe more is because I looked down for a sec. after I got outa the throttle ! Thing are happining way to fast at that speed to be looking at a speedo with any regularity . Especially on a Motorcycle
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post May 3 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #48

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

49 MPH on my highly modified Whizzer motor bike at El Marige Dry Lake when I was 13 yrs old.

Bernie
+Quote Post
turboman808
post May 3 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Guy in the mustang said 155 when I followed his corbra r. My speedo only goes to 120 so I can't say for sure.

Guy here at work did 200mph in a lambo and has it on tape to prove it. And the scary part is it wasn't on a empty stretch of road.
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #50

The Bombdiggity Master

Member No.: 2,759

Street, I don't know cause after about 80 I stop looking at anything but the road and if something breaks I want to know were I'm headed.

Water ,
Certified at 169.662 at Phoenix.
1365 feet stop to start.
In a open boat.

JT

1320 We turned a 161.221
+Quote Post
Betty
post May 3 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #51

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

About 150 mph in a (rev-limited) Busch Grand National Stock car at Texas Motor Speedway. I even got to pass three cars on the track!

The instructor asks if I've ever "driven" before. I say, "a little autocrossing, SCCA, stuff like that..." silence from his side of the car. The ROAR when I hit the start button and 750 horesepower came to life in front of me was pretty awe inspiring! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Clay (sitting in the stands) says I was hitting the rev limiter on the 2nd or 3rd lap (I don't remember, I was busy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) ). Silly instructor kept motioning for me to slow down in the turns... the nerve of him!

This instructor was the one "stuck" with the car that had the driver's seat adjusted pretty far forward (for shorter drivers... meaning the chicks). On the final slow down lap he asked me what I normally drove, I told him "a little mid-engined sports car".. he muttered something like "oh... that explains that...". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

After doing just 10 laps on a big speedway, I can see the G forces being substantial at real racing speed, the angle of the banking means you come up on things with a very small piece of the windshield to see through... much less have enough time to react to them. I can't even begin to imagine doing it with traffic bumping and grinding on all sides of you.

I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #52

The Bombdiggity Master

Member No.: 2,759

oops
Posted as my kid!
Again

jt
+Quote Post
dlo914
post May 3 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #53

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

i dunno how fast i was going in the 914 this past sunday on the drive to the R&G SwapMeet, but i traveled 55 miles from Downtown Los Angeles to Riverside in 25 mins. Does anyone know how to convert this into MPH? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 3 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #54

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(wannateener @ May 3 2006, 12:56 PM) *

oops
Posted as my kid!
Again

jt

that's good, cause I was expecting Dylan to get grounded for posting that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

btw.....that is just plain insane...anything over 30mph on water is too fast for me....(insert scaredy cat)
+Quote Post
markb
post May 3 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #55

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

130+ (according to the CHP in the next lane) in my 65 Olds 442. The CHP asked me how fast it would go, and I told him I didn't know. That's when he said "Let's find out". My speedo topped at 120mph, his at 130. Mine had been topped out for a while. We went until he decided we were going fast enough. The joys of small town life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 3 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Fastest indicated:

-184 mph in a 996 Turbo Cabriolet on Autobahn (yes, the top was up)

-170~ in a 1988 Ruf CTR on a two-lane (in an undisclosed location (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

-180~ in a modified 964 C4

Fastest verified:

177.865 mph (USAC timing and scoring) in a 996 Turbo on dirt at the Black Rock Desert. Problem was that the surface was like concrete during the test runs a few weeks before I got there. When I ran, there was a layer of silt that made the car oversteer slightly once you exceeded 145 mph, with its tail wagging gently back and fourth for the next four miles... You didn't correct as much as you THOUGHT about correcting, that was enough.

Fastest ride-along:

209 mph (according to Motec data logger) in a Carrera GT on a former Mig fighter base outside Berlin with Walter driving. Piece of cake, and the only time I ever got to look around and "enjoy" the speed.

All that said, I don't think big speed is all it's cracked up to be. You don't really get to enjoy it while you're doing it -- and riding along with almost anyone else is borderline (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I guess that makes me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
hedfurst
post May 3 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 406

145 in my '87 944S, from B'ham to Tuscaloosa--pesky little rice-burner wanted to play (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) God do I miss that car.
Just over 5600 in my 914. My speedo cable is broken so I don't really know how fast but I believe that it'll pull 6000 in 5th!
+Quote Post
9146R
post May 3 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 2,849

150 mph in my convertible C5 Vette heading across the Mojave desert between LA and Vegas - windows pulling out away from the roof was fun...on my way with son to the Bondurant driving school. Good times.
Greg
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post May 3 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(vertigo @ May 3 2006, 09:53 AM) *

145 in '71 Dodge Charger r/t, fornt end got light at 130 (still had a bit left but was kinda scary) 155 in 86 Porsche 928

In my Purple '71 Charger r/t 440 Mag I had the speedo bouncing off the peg indicating 150 (valves were floating so it wasn't going any faster). I agree the front end started getting light over 130. I thought I was only steering because the front tires acted like a rudder to the wind that was going UNDER them...

135+ (legally) in a C-200 Merc in Germany. Had my wife and daughter with me but my wife wouldn't look at the speedo. My daughter loved it (she lives over there).

+Quote Post
TimT
post May 3 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #60

retired

Member No.: 313

the angle of the banking means you come up on things with a very small piece of the windshield to see through..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) werd

In the 935 on the banking you are looking up, not ahead. In some cars they actually put a small window in the roof to allo the driver to see the track.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:50 PM