Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> How did you get into the 914 habit ?
How did you get into the 914 habit ?
How did you get into the 914 habit ?
Owned other Porsche [ 13 ] ** [16.05%]
The air-cooled VW scene [ 23 ] ** [28.40%]
Sick of your American iron [ 3 ] ** [3.70%]
Saw one and liked it [ 24 ] ** [29.63%]
Other [ 18 ] ** [22.22%]
Total Votes: 81

Brad
post Feb 23 2003, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

This should work.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ducattiman
post Feb 23 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

wel for me ,,it was because i was sitting around smoking a big reefer ...thinking how great it would be to own a piece of germany (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
scottb
post Feb 23 2003, 01:32 PM
Post #3

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

my dad bought one when i was a freshman in college. i found that i could take corners at a very high rate of speed which made me very happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

now that i hit 40, i told my wife it was a teener or a 24 year old blonde! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

actually, i think the teener will be cheaper in the long run than the blonde.......
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 23 2003, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i had never been into 914's growing up in germany.
the porsche of choice was the 911 (especially the late 70's turbo).
plus, 914 were pretty rare in germany, even in the 70's.

was kind of looking for a new car, drove by a porsche dealership that had
the car sitting in the lot. i liked the look, i think mainly because the GT look
was different from the stock 914. stopped and took it for a test drive and
bought it right there at the spot ...

Andy
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Feb 23 2003, 01:43 PM
Post #5

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

If I could have clicked two they would have been "Aircooled VW scene" and "Other". I've been into Bugs since 1969 and figured I would eventually get a 914.
When I decided to build a Modified class autocrosser I chose the 914 chassis because it was cheap, fairly light, mid-engine and the best handling I could get while still retaining the factory type suspension. (Macstruts and semi trailing arms).

Mike T.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 23 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

saw one...was sold on it....then it was my first car!

Aaron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Feb 23 2003, 02:26 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

The short answer to that question is that I was into air-cooled VWs and wanted one that handled well and that left the 914.

For the long answer, I would also add that I was sick of American iron. When I was a kid, our family always had American cars - a 1963 Mercury Monterey (Montego?) convertible, 1971 Camaro, 1972 Ford pickup, 1978 Trans Am and they all rattled when going over bumps or the windows would rattle when you shut the doors etc. I just thought all cars were like that until I rode in some foreign cars. I remember being about ten years old and going for a ride on the highway in someone's Datsun 510 station wagon and realizing that it was much quieter and smoother than our Mercury and it cruised nicely at highway speed. A couple of years later, a neighboor of ours had a Type III square back that (in my twelve-year-old wisdom) I thought was "one of those crappy little air-cooled VWs" until I was taken for a ride in it on a really rough dirt road and the thing was completely solid and rattle free and cruised very nicely. I'm a bit of a slow learner so it wasn't until my early twenties that I made the switch completely to foreign cars. I believe the US cars have gotten much better recently though.

Alfred
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 23 2003, 02:44 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I used to make fun of them in high school. There was a kid that had one and we always told each other "that's not a real Porsche, You can't even get in the Porsche club with one of those!"....

Well about 3 years later a guy I worked with told me of a car in his now deceased mother-in-law's garage. It was a white 76.

I fell in love instantly! AND I felt like an ASS for what I said in HS. My friends all loved to drive the car we even snuck into a parade in college in it. 3 of my friends jumped in and sat on the rollbar while myself and another friend drove slowly and waved at the folks on the side of the road!!!
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 23 2003, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I'm older than most of you folks. To prove it, here is my story. After a short time owning a '58 VW Karmann-Ghia convertible, I bought my first Porsche, a '56 356A ($1200) in 1968 (year my daughter was born). In 1970 I stepped up to a new tangerine 914 ($4300 with appearance group, am-fm blaupunkt and chrome wheels). Sold it after 8 months because, as a young school teacher, I couldn't live with new car depreciation. It was the last new car I have ever ownd. Restored a '73 2.0 for my 16 year-old daughter in '84. I have owned over 30 Porsches since that first 356, restoring several, doing my own paint in the garage. Now that I am retired, I have become a 914 "collector". I have a '70 factory six (track car/autocrosser); '70 signal orange 4; '71 tangerine 4 (rare non-appearance group car); and my pride and joy, a phoenix red '74 with 31000 original miles (looks like a new car). I love the little devils!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 23 2003, 03:26 PM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Saw one way back when....thought they would be a fun summer car and a buddy "found" me a deal on my first one. Now several more later, I have more P cars than the local dealership.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Feb 23 2003, 03:46 PM
Post #11

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

How did I get hooked? Well, Crack is getting sooo expensive these days... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 23 2003, 04:18 PM
Post #12

retired

Member No.: 313

Ive been a long time 911 owner, but have always wanted a 914-6 but was discouraged by all the cars with "tin-worm" problems in my area, so I basically gave up on the idea of owning a 914 untill my friends car came up for sale

Im in the process of making my '69 911 into a GT5 racecar, and like all projects this is taking way longer than expected.

I knew i was jonesing when I realised that I might miss another season at the track.

A week or so ago I saw and andd in the local PCA newletter, and a guy I know was selling his 914. So now I am the owner of a '75 914 GT3 car with a 3.2 stuffed in the back.

My Porsche collection is almost complete. I would like a nice 356 speedster, but I dont live in the right zip code for that.

Cant wait for the snow to melt so I can go pickup my new toy

if your interested here is my 911 project, Ill get some pics of my 914 soon
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Feb 23 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197

Wish I hadn't. I drove karts for 35 years, since they were invented in 1958. I wanted something that drove like a kart. If this thing doesn't when I get it finished, it'll be for sale. :toilet:
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 23 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I voted for the one that was closest. I've never owned "American iron", but I was tired of driving appliance cars that weren't any damn fun! A Porsche-owning buddy pointed out 914s to me. Convertible, pop-up headlights (for some reason that was important to me, LOL!!), and very fun to drive? Yeah, maybe I'll try that.

One test drive. Just one, and I knew I would be buying one. Bought the fourth one I test-drove (a 74 1.8), because I liked the color. DOH! I thought I was immune to that kind of stupidity.... Guess not!

--DD
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Feb 23 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #15

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Back in the fall of 1998 I was looking for a 2 seater toy. I looked at TR 6's, MG's, Alfa Romeo spyders, etc. Then I looked at the January 1999 edition of European Car magazine, which featured 914's and that hooked me. I had driven one a few years before that belonged to a friend and I had forgotten how much fun it was to drive. Now I'm hopelessly addicted.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Feb 23 2003, 05:46 PM
Post #16

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Member No.: 182

Air-cooled affiliation... I have always loved Bugs. It grew to all VW's, air/water cooled. Bringing me to T IV. I've heard many times of a "Porsche" engine swapping abilities, but thought it was unaffordable... Never even knew it was a T IV. I was first attracted to a Ravenna Green 73/74 up the street from my house. A detail shop owner's car. I really liked the look, still not knowing it was T IV.

So the hunt began when I found out. Mid engine?? Rear wheel drive?? FOR REAL?? And a VW to boot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Feb 23 2003, 06:09 PM
Post #17

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

After watching a friend leave behind a field of corvettes racing in the rain driving a nearly bone stock 911, I knew some day I would have a Porsche. In the late seventies I purchased a beautiful maroon 1969 911E. It took me a couple of years to learn how to drive it properly. It wasn't the fastest Porsche around, but several years I managed to win my class in solo II. I put over 130,000 miles on that car before I sold it. After it was gone I didn't really care what I drove. It was like for me, there are Porsches and, well, everthing else are just cars.

Last year after my wife bemoaned the fact that she had never owned a sports car, we found her a nice looking, but unrestored 75' silver 914. Even though it was "her" car, I found myself offering to run errands all the time saying "hey I'll just take the 914". One Sunday I took her to an autocross, you know, just to "watch". Well, that was it. The disease was back and I was the patient. I began the hunt. A few months later I ran across ol yeller, a 1975 2.0L that was a two owner car that had been restored and modified by the last owner who's dad owned a Porsche shop. It is a truly great Porsche. I feel very lucky to have found it. With the help of this discussion board, and others like it, I'm in the process of learning all I can about these great cars and am looking forward once again to autocrossing. I think I'm hooked. Okay, I know I'm hooked.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Feb 23 2003, 06:17 PM
Post #18

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

I also chose "Air-cooled VW scene" but the long answer is that I inherited my brother's bug when he went to college. Moved on to different flavors of American Iron in high school and college ('68 Mustang, '69 Firebird, '76 Camaro, all pretty much beat to hell but a lot of V8 fun). Wondered around in what I call "the dark years" until my brother again came to the rescue, selling me his '90 VW Corrado. Definitely got me back into European cars for the forseeable future; but I know the wifey wouldn't mind having a '57 vette someday.

Went through the Corrado and loved it. We brought it with us from Florida to California, but at the end of the day it was still a front-wheel-drive car that had to obey smog laws. I wanted something rear-wheel-drive, light and modifiable. I got pretty hooked on early 911s but chose the 914 for better handling and the rebel / underdog mystique.

Not sure what the future holds but I (like a lot of you) already have a list of cars I'd like to get to someday.
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Feb 23 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 204

After college, I started racing a mini-stock Toyota on a paved oval in Ct. I had an absolute ball for a couple years. Then I moved south to NC and found dirt track kart racing, had a ball with that. Then life got in the way - sold the Kart, became a partner in a Land Surveying firm, had a baby, etc, etc.
The racing bug never left me - I started hearing about autocross and DE events - a way to get out and drive hard but not necessarily be tied to preparing a car for a race every week. So I started searching out a car that I thought would be a cool "hot rod" to ride around in on weekends, autocross, and maybe put it on the big track. After a lot of research and spending too much time on boards like this, I decided that a 914 was the way to go - mid-engined with so many possibilities regarding suspension and engine combinations. I got hooked bad, so now there is a '74 2.0 and a '73 2.0 (soon to be for sale) in my garage!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Feb 23 2003, 08:33 PM
Post #20

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

The first 914 . I drove was in 1972, Bob Bondurant who was and old friend of mine used them in his driving school at Ontario Motor Speedway. They were a blast to drive. I then went on to drive Formula Vees. Worked the Old SuperVee Circuit (ISMA) for several years in the mid 70s. Then I had to go back to work for a living. thirty years later I thought that I would buy a car for fun that would not cost a lot of money to own and would not depreciate or cost a lot of money to drive HA HA HA HA. So I bought mine on ebay site un seen (Stupid act) but it was close in Santa Barbara. which made it easy. Many dollars later I think I can drive it back to Santa Barbara without it breaking down. Made it to Dunkels meet ok, and I love it I have spent way to many hours on these fourms learning about my car

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:43 PM