Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front trunks, Front trunks/boots - all years
smg914
post Jan 25 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #101

Sahara Beige Steve

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 25 2013, 07:04 AM) *

Hi guys,
I rarely stray into the originality section, given all the stupid things the PO did to my car - it'll never be original. However, I do appreciate all the information you have post and this section is very entertaining to read!

Question - my car never had the board over the spare tire recess in the front trunk. In fact, I don't even have a spare. I think I can probably cut some plywood to approximate the original piece, but I have no idea how it attaches or stays in position. It appears from the pictures that it rides on top of the curved support pieces at the front of the trunk, but what about at the back, at the trunk firewall? There are no obvious screws or mounts in my car to support the back of that board. Thanks for your help!

-George

Hey George,

That board just sits in there. Doesn't attach to anything. I will probably drive a 914 to the Daytona on TV get together on Saturday so you can look at yourself.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 25 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Sweet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Looking forward to seeing you again Steve!

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 25 2013, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 25 2013, 07:04 AM) *

Hi guys,
I rarely stray into the originality section, given all the stupid things the PO did to my car - it'll never be original. However, I do appreciate all the information you have post and this section is very entertaining to read!

Question - my car never had the board over the spare tire recess in the front trunk. In fact, I don't even have a spare. I think I can probably cut some plywood to approximate the original piece, but I have no idea how it attaches or stays in position. It appears from the pictures that it rides on top of the curved support pieces at the front of the trunk, but what about at the back, at the trunk firewall? There are no obvious screws or mounts in my car to support the back of that board. Thanks for your help!

-George

Hey George,

That board just sits in there. Doesn't attach to anything. I will probably drive a 914 to the Daytona on TV get together on Saturday so you can look at yourself.
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post Jan 25 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 13,903
Region Association: None

Here are the gray ones. Thanks for the info, I'll use the black pair.
Bill

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mhead
post Jan 9 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 7,302

Very early front trunk, notice no charcoal canister...Attached Image
+Quote Post
vanlynch
post Feb 22 2017, 01:47 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 20,856
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 30 2007, 08:10 PM) *

what is that hose/line for & what does it connect to?
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Feb 22 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

vanlynch,

That hose appears to be line that connects the windshield washer bottle with the (unconnected) spare tire valve. The tire pressure (theoretically) pressurizes the windshield washer bottle to (theoretically) spray the windshield with washer fluid. The attached photos show that hose in the front trunk of my 1970/4.

Paul

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TM_Corey
post Sep 8 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 19,809
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does the vertical carpet tuck under the rubber that runs the width of the top of the wall that separates the gas tank area and the spare tire area?
+Quote Post
914Next
post Sep 10 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Sep 8 2017, 08:23 PM) *

Does the vertical carpet tuck under the rubber that runs the width of the top of the wall that separates the gas tank area and the spare tire area?

Yes. Here are a couple pics. This is original installation in my car.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 16 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #109

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

front trunk with carpet board taken out, windshield water system not hooked up to spare tire.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
AndrewBlyholder
post Apr 18 2021, 10:55 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 2,791

When I have a chance, I"ll go digging...
I'm not sure if melamine is the correct term to be used...I borrowed it from this thread. But the stuff is that crappy pressboard cardboard stuff that breaks off in flakes.
I have the leftover parts from a 74..and from what was titled a 73 but may have been very early (since it had the doors without the sidebars)...I'm pretty sure that both of them had the non plywood crap.

A response from your local retired architect:

Melamine is not the right term. That refers to a version of particle board with a Melamine plastic coating used a lot in cabinets and signage where a good smooth finish is necessary.

What's in our cars is a type of particle board made from pressed sawdust/wood chips. It comes in may variations, depending on the exact texture of the wood particles and the amount of heat and pressure used to form it. Masonite is a common name brand for a version that used a lot of heat and pressure and was very hard and dense. A more generic term for that type is hardboard. The particle board used for cheap shelving is at the low end of that scale. The stuff Porsche used for the pedal boards is somewhere in the middle.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:34 PM