Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about rear springs
Porsche Rescue
post Oct 25 2003, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I am replacing rear shocks on a 914-6 with stock Boges. I want as close to new stock ride as possible.
There are a set of new springs available, aftermarket 80 lb. Does anyone know if they would be about the same stiffness as new stock? I hear about 100, 140, 180 lb. etc, but have no idea what factory rate was.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Oct 26 2003, 01:47 AM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Factory rate was anything from 60#-100# 's. If you get the 100# springs, you will sit high in the rear unless you have adjustable spring perches
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 26 2003, 08:46 AM
Post #3

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The standard spring rate was about 60 lb/in. There were a few variations. Mid 72 they went with longer springs that increased the preload. The /6 springs were thicker wire than the /4. Most of my factory data lists the load as installed; i.e. the load the spring will carry without deflecting. I wish they had listed the spring rate instead. The dots on the springs, 1 to 3, were rate groupings; i.e. use a pair with the same number of dots. Aftermarket springs are not broken down in the same way. Are they matched better? Who knows. They also had optional springs available with 70, 80 and 90 rates for setting up the race cars.

DaveP
+Quote Post
TimT
post Oct 26 2003, 08:48 AM
Post #4

retired

Member No.: 313

I use #350 springs on my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

cant help with stock cars though..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 08:21 PM