Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what can you do with a /6 2.0?, excuse my ignorance...
vortrex
post Mar 3 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

say one was to buy a stock /6 car and wanted to enhance the driving experience with some more HP, yet still keep the car "numbers matching". what can you do to the stock 2.0? I imagine 2.2S, what about other configs? what does going to these larger displacements and S specs entail?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 3 2003, 01:24 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

do what a lot of original /6 owners do:

yank out the 2.0 motor and stick it in the garage for later use, put a bigger motor such as a 3.0 in it's place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A guy around the corner from me with an original /6 did the 2.2S upgrade...fun car to drive (my first drive in an original 6 many years ago)

Get Bruce Andersons 911 Performance Handbook, it's a must read for anyone thinking of purchasing a vehicle powered by a Porsche flat 6.
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Mar 3 2003, 01:36 PM
Post #3

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288

My car has been upgraded to a 2.2 with S Cam, but still running the original heads...I'm guessing that it produces about 160 hp at the high end. And that is plenty!

There is a guy on the Pelican list who is running a "2.5" which is the 2.0 cut to take the 2.7 P&Cs but maintaining the original stroke. I am sure some work was done to get the compression ratio into the correct region.

James
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 3 2003, 01:57 PM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

My car will also have a factory -6 built to 2.2S specs shortly. We are not sure yet whether any head work was done or if it still has the "T" ports. Also need to check if it has a counterweighted crank or not. I'll be running headers and open pipes, Weber 40's and either a Bosch CDI or MSD ignition. It should be a nice match for my car.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 3 2003, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Like Mueller said, yank it.
Unlike Red Beard said, 160 hp is not plenty, tho better than 110. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 3 2003, 02:14 PM
Post #6

what has to be done to get a 2.2S? new P&C and S cam? case stays unmodified?

anyone know anything about the white 914-6 2.5 car that's on the SD PCA page for sale?

EDIT: nevermind about the car in SD, it's not there anymore.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 3 2003, 03:50 PM
Post #7

retired

Member No.: 313

The 914 i just bought has a 3.2 stuffed in it, supposedly 260 hp.

I am also building a 2.2 race motor for my 911

You can get as much as 230 hp from a 2.2. It will cost you a fortune though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) ( ask how I know)

The heads will need to be improved. open the heads up to 36mm, better yet 38mm (the 911/22 had 38mm heads and made 230 hp). Twin plugging would be recommended to.

You should get a S cam, better yet a GE-80

while the case is apart perform the case mods, and shuffle pin. replace the oil pump with a bigger one ( turbo or 964 type)

The crank should be replaced with a S crank. Ive heard of some pretty rad engines that were built on a T crank though.

Its way more economical to buy a 3.0 or a 3.2 than to build a potent 2.2 Parts and machining add up quickly
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 4 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

TimT is dead on...the factory built some real screamer 2.0 and 2.2 engines back in the day; >220hp. But who knows how long they lived and they were probably a pretty long stretch from the regular production builds. $$$$$

My 2.2 is intended as a trainer; it will either be sold along with the car when I'm ready to move up, or the engine will be passed on to the next addict and replaced with a 3.0 or 3.2 I am running in a 'spec' (restricted) race class and can't afford the modification points to do port work, EFI or twin-plug on the 2.2. I am however already taking mod points for the S cams and higher compression, so I could go even more aggressive in those areas if I wanted to (although the $/hp is way ugly when you're talking 911 race pistons and cams). I could also potentially run Weber 46's instead of 40's but probably no point unless the breathing is opened up.

I'm just sick of listening to this VW racket behind my head...can't wait to get the sixer fired up back there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
olav
post Mar 4 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34

I kept my original 2 liter and put in a 3.2 and it is perfect. Nice sound and I can keep up with the Boxster S's now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have carbs on it so it looks stock though.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 4 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #10

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 3 2003, 10:14 PM)
I'm just sick of listening to this VW racket behind my head...can't wait to get the sixer fired up back there

Hey, my car takes offence to that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You telling us that you dont like the tappet noise? Its musical when you go fast... :cursor:
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 4 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #11

yes, olav has the dream car and in the right color too.

was merely asking because I am leaving SF for the east. thinking about taking or importing a /6 at some point as compensation for my soon to be misery. 3.2 sounds great, but I also have a thing for vintage, such as 2.2S. it's got to be more fun than the 2.0 and probably not as expensive as the 3.2 (no motor to store either...).
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 4 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #12

Sleazy

Where are you moving to?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 4 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Mar 4 2003, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 3 2003, 10:14 PM)
I'm just sick of listening to this VW racket behind my head...can't wait to get the sixer fired up back there

Hey, my car takes offence to that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You telling us that you dont like the tappet noise? Its musical when you go fast... :cursor:

Hmmm. Honestly, to me the Type4 sounds like a lawn tractor on steroids -- and I'm not sure that's a "good thing". Sorry, but after owning an early 911 (2.2E w/ MFI) for 12 years, the comparison between the two flavors of engines is etched pretty deeply in my mind.

I do like the torque curve of the 914/4 powerplants though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 4 2003, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Sleazy

Im just messing with you Campbell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . You should have heard my 914 when it had an exhaust leak. Sounded like my neighbors Bus, but louder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 4 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #15

off to philadelphia! just got a job today. been 14 months out of work.
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 5 2003, 01:08 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 22

vortrex,

Congrats(!) on the job. Meuller's right. Get BA's book and read it. Most of the P-6 mysteries and alternatives are covered in a pretty easy read. Chris is right. The 6 sound kills. (but if truth be known, you have to add a turbo to get the spine chill :-)

kim.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 5 2003, 01:13 AM
Post #17

yeah I am gonna get that book, been meaning to for a long while now. wonder what it costs to have a 2.0 converted to 2.2S?
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 5 2003, 01:33 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 22

vortrex: cost? dunno. Someone else will chime in I'm sure. P-6's seem to have nothing cheap about them tho. (i.e. price barrels/pistons at the popular P sites -- you'll know what I'm talking about) Actually, you can prolly do this without BA's book, in that I'm guessing that most sites make assumptions about what case you are using when they quote.

(I was able to scope out barrel/piston costs for my last rebuild, before I had to actually shell out the cash. Good thing too!)

I've not done the path you're following so I don't have BTDT (although it may happen in the next couple years so I'm looking for your BTDT!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

kim.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 5 2003, 09:34 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I got to see a wild 2.2 motor this weekend first hand. It was a thing of beauty. It's the race motor of one of my shops' mechanics. Here are some of the details. Has a 46 carbs, 316 cam (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) sweet fan shourd (looks like the old 914 shroud color) and 906 intake manifolds...that's right real 906 magnesium manifolds. Makes some 230hp at 8500 RPM. All I could do was dream of this in my 914...drool

Nathan
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 5 2003, 10:48 AM
Post #20

I can't Re Member

To truly convert a 2.0T to 2.2S specs would be prohibitively expensive: barrels & pistons, cams, head work (open up the ports), and crankshaft. Plus of course the S cars had MFI vs. Webers but most guys can "live" with that OK; in fact I have to run carbs to stay in my POC class. You get creamed (points wise) for induction system swaps.

Even just doing the S barrels & pistons and cams is horrendously expensive; prolly $4K just for parts I'm guessing ?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:32 PM