Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914's, NEED HELP! Unleaded? Performance parts? Anything, Just got hold of a twin carb converted 914 lump, and now need some adv
fall-apart-dave
post Sep 23 2006, 05:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,898

I have a VW Baja Bug, which I have just sourced a 1.8 914 engine for. It has twin solex carbs fitted after scrapping the dead fuel injection system + a Baja exhaust etc ready to go into my car, but I need some advice.

The car:

Attached Image

The new engine:

Attached Image

Firstly, I have looked round the net and so far found out that it maybe will work fine with high octane unleaded petrol, possible with some additive in there. Can anyone shead some light on this for me?

Are there any parts available to pretty the engine up? For VW's you get get hundreds of chrome, aluminium and alloy dress-up parts, wondering if there is anything like that for the 914? Or am I going to have to polish, paint and make parts to pretty this engine up? Here's a pic of my old engine before I sold it (not all chrome fitted when pic was taken).

Attached Image

I have a nitrous oxide system sat in my garage at the moment, jetted with a pair of 25 shot jets from a previous bug engine. The VW engines coped with it nicely as they are low compression anyway and the kit is only a small one (each 25 shot nozzle was for either inlet, so each side of the engine got a 25 shot on the rare occasions I used it, effectively being a 50 shot system). You all know what question is coming - Has anyone ever fitted kits to 914's, or know enough about them to advise whether this is just a bad idea or a really stupid one?

Lastly, other performance parts for a 914 engine. I'm struggling to come up with anything, other than people trying to sell me things like big bore kits and duration cams from a VW Type 4 engine that "should fit just fine..." Can anyone offer any advice about this at all? Are the type 4 parts suitable, or would I just be downgrading / moving pointlessly horizontally? Can anyone point me to any parts to make the engine give a little more?

Lastly, are there any hurdles to watch out for? Things that regularly go wrong? Tricks, traps or nacks to keeping the engine running smoothly? I have never played with a 914 engine before, have heard rumours about them being fitted into a bug, now I've got mine fitted but it's still not on the road.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live off the East Coast of the UK in Northumberland, my email address is fall-apart-dave@hotmail.co.uk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 23 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #2

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

If you haven't already, you may want to go to http://www.shoptalkforums.com/ and check the Type 4 and the Aircooled Technology forums. Lots of good T4 information to be found.

You are correct about the T4 market being more limited than the T1 market, especially in the bling category. It takes a little more effort to find T4 parts and service.

The Haynes 914 manual indicates that for stock 1.8 liter engines with an engine code of EC use 91 octane while the AN code engines use 98 octane.
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Sep 23 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #3

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hey Hey

Let me start by saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

There are lots of T4 swaps into bugs on this side of the pond, and lots of T1 fans in the club as well. You are at the right place to find what your looking for. Wait for some of the west coast boys to wake up, and you will have some answers.

The biggest difference you will find with the T1 vs T4 is $$$. The T4 is considered an upgrade. Run a search thru the forum and poke around.

Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Sep 23 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Here's a pic of of Bill K's conversion into a type 1. I saw this car in Sacramento at Bugorama and it is beautiful.

Here are some must read sites for conversions.

Type IV DTM

Type IV store

Joe Cali's Conversion Manual

Tuna's Web site

Dave

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 23 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Sep 23 2006, 04:35 AM) *

Firstly, I have looked round the net and so far found out that it maybe will work fine with high octane unleaded petrol, possible with some additive in there. Can anyone shead some light on this for me?

You mentioned scrapping the EFI, so it sounds like you have an EC-code US-spec 1.8 motor. It should work just fine on regular unleaded fuel--the high-octane stuff is not necessary. (Verify the engine number, though; if it starts with AN you have a high-compression European 1.8 engine and you do want to use the high-octane stuff!)

Lastly, other performance parts for a 914 engine. I'm struggling to come up with anything, other than people trying to sell me things like big bore kits and duration cams from a VW Type 4 engine that "should fit just fine..."

The 914 engine is a version of the VW Type IV. So parts for a Type IV do indeed work just fine with a 914 engine. Most big-bore kits are a pain to fit properly, though, as the cylinders do not tend to be very round or very even, plus they cool somewhat unevenly and don't seem to last that long... Usually 96mm is about as large a bore as you can safely go with hopes of long engine life, unless you want to spend big $$ on Nikasil cylinders.

One of the best things you can do for your engine's performance is to put a good exhaust on it. You obviously can't use the 914 exhaust, so as long as you have to change it out you ought to go with something that flows well and makes power. If you can afford it, Tangerine Racing (http://www.tangerineracing.com) is probably the best available. On your side of the Atlantic, there are a number of German tuners who have decent ones available. And I think Lee from LA Performance in the UK has some decent ones available as well.

--DD
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Sep 24 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2006, 07:02 AM) *

You mentioned scrapping the EFI, so it sounds like you have an EC-code US-spec 1.8 motor. It should work just fine on regular unleaded fuel--the high-octane stuff is not necessary. (Verify the engine number, though; if it starts with AN you have a high-compression European 1.8 engine and you do want to use the high-octane stuff!)

Lastly, other performance parts for a 914 engine. I'm struggling to come up with anything, other than people trying to sell me things like big bore kits and duration cams from a VW Type 4 engine that "should fit just fine..."

The 914 engine is a version of the VW Type IV. So parts for a Type IV do indeed work just fine with a 914 engine. Most big-bore kits are a pain to fit properly, though, as the cylinders do not tend to be very round or very even, plus they cool somewhat unevenly and don't seem to last that long... Usually 96mm is about as large a bore as you can safely go with hopes of long engine life, unless you want to spend big $$ on Nikasil cylinders.

One of the best things you can do for your engine's performance is to put a good exhaust on it. You obviously can't use the 914 exhaust, so as long as you have to change it out you ought to go with something that flows well and makes power. If you can afford it, Tangerine Racing (http://www.tangerineracing.com) is probably the best available. On your side of the Atlantic, there are a number of German tuners who have decent ones available. And I think Lee from LA Performance in the UK has some decent ones available as well.

--DD

Cheers for all the advice guys, I'll keep searching, hunting and trying! Any ideas from the West Coast guys? Surely you lot must be out of bed by now!
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 24 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #7

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Well Dave,

Everything you listed as a possibilty can be done. From the bling to the NOS and more.

Ya want 110 HP? (build your own)
Ya want 160HP? (Build your own from a Jake kit?
Ya want 300 HP Non turbo. No problem. (Jake)
Ya want 300-400+ HP turbo. No problem. (Marty)
Ya want a really kewl looking COOLING system. No problem. (Jake)
Ya want some serious bling factor. No problem. (Ahnendorp/Remmelle/Udo)
Want a bad ass header system? No problem (assorted)

And I can go on forever. There are more goodies for the type 4 engine than has EVER been available before.

Most of us here on the club know where you can buy dam near anything you can dream of....

FOR A PRICE.

I have seen or know of, cosmeticaly great looking and great running engines for as little as 1000 USD (If your lucky)
And as much as 30k for a guy in Hawaii that a BIG Named engine builder is putting together. (monster engine)

Use the search function of this BBS and look for engine pics. If ya need ideas. Start there.

NOW:

Why don't you give us a rundown of what your end result is.
And how much time and $$$s do you want to spend.

That will save us all a bunch of time. Thus helping you get what you need.

Cause we are all about that. Helping each other.

So what do you want this car to perform like? A/Xer, Kafer car, Strip car, daily driver, German Look, Sand/dirt, Off road style,. ETC.......

The more you tell us. The better we can direct you......

Oh..... Before I forget...

Welcome..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Clayton

+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Sep 27 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 24 2006, 05:10 AM) *

Well Dave,

Everything you listed as a possibilty can be done. From the bling to the NOS and more.

Ya want 110 HP? (build your own)
Ya want 160HP? (Build your own from a Jake kit?
Ya want 300 HP Non turbo. No problem. (Jake)
Ya want 300-400+ HP turbo. No problem. (Marty)
Ya want a really kewl looking COOLING system. No problem. (Jake)
Ya want some serious bling factor. No problem. (Ahnendorp/Remmelle/Udo)
Want a bad ass header system? No problem (assorted)

And I can go on forever. There are more goodies for the type 4 engine than has EVER been available before.

Most of us here on the club know where you can buy dam near anything you can dream of....

FOR A PRICE.

I have seen or know of, cosmeticaly great looking and great running engines for as little as 1000 USD (If your lucky)
And as much as 30k for a guy in Hawaii that a BIG Named engine builder is putting together. (monster engine)

Use the search function of this BBS and look for engine pics. If ya need ideas. Start there.

NOW:

Why don't you give us a rundown of what your end result is.
And how much time and $$$s do you want to spend.

That will save us all a bunch of time. Thus helping you get what you need.

Cause we are all about that. Helping each other.

So what do you want this car to perform like? A/Xer, Kafer car, Strip car, daily driver, German Look, Sand/dirt, Off road style,. ETC.......

The more you tell us. The better we can direct you......

Oh..... Before I forget...

Welcome..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Clayton

Ok, well for now I’m not too bothered about all-out screamin’ demon strip car! It’s a Baja bug, so really to suit the style of car it needs to be a grunty loud engine with lots of bling above anything else! For the time being I’ll be happy with just getting 110 bhp or so. I’m concentrating elsewhere on the car too. I’m about to convert the rear drums do discs as the drums are absolutely dogpants at stopping the car. Once that is done I will look at upgrades to the engine. So, does anyone have any advice? As I said before there are twin solex carbs on there at the moment, so I’m guessing the advice would be “bigger carbs, better exhaust…” I don’t want to lose the twin cannon system I have as I like the look of them. Bear in mind though that I live in the UK and finding 914 parts round here is harder than stepping in rocking horse poo.

Basically, I am due a bonus of £2000 (about $3000 - $3500 ish) around April of next year, plus about £1000 due in back pay due in a couple of months time. This will hopefully fund a full bare metal re-spray, engine upgrades, as well as other goodies. What I want from the engine is a good quick street machine. It doesn’t have to eat Ferrari’s and Subaru’s, but I don’t want to be outrun by the average Billy-Joe Boyo in his souped up VW Golf (Rabbit) either. Its acceleration I want more than top speed, the handling scares the hell out of me when I hit 80mph anyway so won’t be going much quicker than that! I had an Audi A4 as my last car which wasn’t too slow but it was heavy. If I can get it to move quicker than the A4 off the mark, I’ll be happy… …For now…

I’ll keep putting pictured on here as I go! Hopefully I won’t sell the project before I finish it! (I’m always open to offers when I’m building a project!).

Thanks for everyone's help for now, I'm amazaed at how welcome people are making me feel!
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 27 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #9

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Welcome... and congrats on finding your engine. Most of the advice given above is pretty good.

Remember, with some elbow grease, you can do a lot of your own bling factor... and learn alot about your motor.

Strip down the motor to the long-block and clean, clean, clean.

Powdercoat your engine tin... that goes a long way towards making things nice. Paint works too, but powdercoat is very durable.

Home anodizing kits and home plating kits are available. Nothing quite like the feeling of saying "I did that!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Start with a vision and make a plan to get there!

Again... welcome!

Cheers,
Lawrence
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Sep 27 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #10

Thanks for that! I was planning to strip & clean the lump. I didn't realise there are home plate kits available though! I was going to use tubs and tubs of elbow grease, and polish every bit I could. But annodising would make my job far easier. I was looking around for annodised bolts so that I can get all the detail to match my paintwork, but if I can do it myself all the better!

So, what would the advice be on getting some extra power? Nothing huge just now, just enough to upset a few people at being burned off by a 37 year old, flat-4 horizontally opposed, 4 speed farting camel!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 27 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Sep 24 2006, 04:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2006, 07:02 AM) *

--DD

Cheers for all the advice guys, I'll keep searching, hunting and trying! Any ideas from the West Coast guys? Surely you lot must be out of bed by now!

Actually, Dave Darling is a West Coast guy... We are awake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 27 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #12

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Here is a recent topic on engine bling:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=60992

Most 914 go pretty conservative compared to bug show cars. That's probably because you can barely see the engine in a 914. :-)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 27 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

First off:
GET RID OF THAT HORRIBLE EXHAUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, read, read, read here
www.aircooledtechnology.com
www.type4store.com
www.tunacan.net/t4

And listen to our radio show at www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio

ALL I do are Type 4 conversions and performance upgrades/parts. Do searches under my name here, on the STF and on google and read for months....
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 27 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #14

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

New Raby carb cam with lifters
Dual Webbers or Dells carbs instead of those single throats
96mm pistons
Mallory dizzy

and A NEW Header as that thing is robbing all your hp!!

100 hp about.
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Sep 27 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #15

Ok... Advice taken on board! Exhaust to go! lol! New carbs are something I was considering anyway... I was looking at an EMPI HPMX 44mm pair, but I'm guessing some of you boys know a better setup. New header? Not knowing about the 914's I';m not sure what's wrong with the header on there? Can anyone enlighten me as to which I should have, how much, and where in the UK I can get it?

Here's a pic of where the engine is going to go. I haven't got time just now to check out all the links I've been given, but I will do I promise!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 27 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Exhaust: http://www.tangerineracing.com -- simply the best. No idea who carries it in the UK, if anyone does.
Raby has an "econo header" but I don't know if it works with the stock pancake cooling. Nor do I know if anyone over that-a-way carries it.
In Germany, there are places like Ahnendorp that make decent exhausts.

Your exhaust completely splits the left and right cylinders, which just is not good for flow at all. A good 4-2-1 header setup, or even a good 4-1 setup, will help quite a bit.

--DD
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Oct 11 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #17

Alrighty then! We have our first upgrade (potentially!). Can anyone tell me if twin EMPI HPMX 44 carbs (the dual type) are any good on a 914 lump?

Remember it's a 1.8, currently with twin solex single barrel carbs on there at the moment in favour of the injection system. I have managed to get hold of brand new HPMX carbs at half retail (they retail for a bit more this side of the pond unfortunately!), but it's a T1 beetle kit, not the T4 which I would need.

Before I go sourcing parts, I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with these carbs at all? They are near as damn it identical to Weber IDF carbs (all parts are exchangable between the two). Need to get them jetted properly and balanced, obviously! Just got to find a place here in the UK which can do the job properly, unless someone out there has a pearl of advice for me?

If they are no good, I have a buyer. Also have a buyer for the Solex carbs, which will pay for the new inlets that I'll need.

Still searching for a header that will suite a Baja bug though, not finding much as of yet. Looks are as important as performance here.

Cheers DUDES!

Fall Apart Dave!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Oct 11 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #18

just visiting

Member No.: 404

First- great club name! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Second- Empi carbs are prolly made in Brazil, but if they duplicate Weber layout for less money, it might be great. 44 is kinda big, but you might can get smaller venturis. Try to get a tall intake manifold. I used to have little stubby ones, and the torque wasn't there at all untill 4k rpm. Taller intakes bring the torque down lower.
Third- looks are good for 10-15% hp increase. Without massive surgury, 100 to 110 hp is tops, so bling becomes a very efficient upgrade... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 11 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Empi carbs are a knock off of a real Weber. They are made in China and are good to sell to your worst enemy.

Buy real Webers.
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Oct 11 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 11 2006, 05:22 AM) *

Empi carbs are a knock off of a real Weber. They are made in China and are good to sell to your worst enemy.

Buy real Webers.

Not very helpful in my current position, but duely noted. If Webers had been available for a reasonable price, I would have bought webers. I know the EMPI ones are copies, but I'm not a sucker for brand names. If a lesser renowned brand can perform as well as a better know brand, I will consider the lesser brand. I have never heard a bad word said about EMPI carbs except "It's not a Weber..." and brand snobery isn't really helpful to anyone, least of all me since I have the EMPI's now. So aside from people telling me I should have bought Weber (given they are now out of business anyway, I'd have thought clones were an ideal option anyway) on the grounds that they are better carbs simply because they say Weber on the side, can anyone offer helpful advice? I am willing to listen to people who can lay down a reasoned, sensible argument, but please- no brand snobs!

I apologise for this reply sounding short and off-hand Jake, and I apreciate that you probably know a lot more on this subject than I, but why waste both our times typing a reply that basically says "EMPI are rubbish because they aren't Weber..."? Sorry, but I just want helpful advice, not a slating because I bought something that wasn't manufactured in the West.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:12 PM