Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: 555 timer... need a hand with Astable settings :), been a long time...
Mueller
post Oct 2 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

okay, so I have a device I want to turn on for 10 to 20 seconds via the output going to a relay, off to be a few seconds.

I just downloaded pspice student version to see if I can mimic the circuit which I am not sure if the student version can do so.....

using a kit from Ramsey

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/UT5.pdf

other res. I have on hand are 1M (variable), a couple of 100K and a bunch of 1K....for extra caps, 100uF is the max

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post Oct 2 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Mueller,
If I remember right you find time in seconds by multiplying capacitance X resistance. Using mico farads and meg ohms the numbers work easy. 100 micofarads X 1 meg.the micro farads and megs numbers cancel out ( .000001 X 1000000) =1. So with a 100 micro F capacitor and 1 Meg resistor you would get 100 sec. If you want 10 sec use the 100K res. Ie one 10 the resistance of the 1 meg.
Hope this helps. I experminted with a 555 and 556 to get a simple alarm circuit to work and as long as the out put was way very low in current , I had success. As soon as I attempted to have the output set or unset a relay , the circuit would fail.
Tom
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 2 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

thats why it may have helped to put the output into a NAND chip to output to a 5V relay
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Oct 2 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mike,

The 555 datasheet has a reference circuit for an astable oscillator and it will give you formulas to solve for the R's and C's. The on and off times can be set independently using a network of two resistors and one cap.

If you haven't figured it out by tonight I can take a look when I get home. I just build a simple 555 circuit the other day so the datasheet is sitting on my desk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Oct 2 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,653

Hey Mike,

Here's a datasheet for the LM555; whenever I need a datasheet, I just look it up at digikey.com. This sheet has some formulas for choosing R and C values for astable operation on pp 7-8. As Tom found out, the outputs on this chip are kinda flaky : you have to buffer them somehow, or the circuit won't work right. That kit from Ramsey looks like a good way to go : by the time you hunt around for a the chip, a board, etc, you'll be up close to $10 anyway. And I'm sure they have more user-friendly directions. In the photo, you can see a transistor that they use to buffer the output; they claim 100 mA, which should be plenty to power a relay. Since the circuit is really all analog, it's gonna change its behavior with changing temperature. I would guess that the ratio of off to on time will stay pretty constant, but that the frequency will drift some. If you're just blinking lights or something, though, it shouldn't matter.

Oops, can't attach the pdf file. try :

LM555
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 2 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

google and ye shall find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

555 timer calculator...great for stupid/lazy people like me....

thanks for the info peoples.....
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 2 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #7

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Some of the datasheets are flakey also. I forget which one, but a BIG name supplier didn't have a resistor in the discharge to ground that would limit the current to a reasonable value. You use a big cap and it would fry the chip since the current was unlimited; ie: a direct short to ground. The CMOS versions are very current limited. Don't forget the diode across the relay solenoid to kill the turn-off spike, that would cause flakey behavior if not included.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:52 AM