Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My old cat, I'm sad.
ClayPerrine
post Oct 17 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #21

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

"I grieve with thee..."

Yea, it's a geeky thing to say, but it fits. Betty had 2 cats when we started dating, and they adopted me when we got married. I cried like a baby when they died.

And they are never truly gone as long as someone remembers them and still loves them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
goodporsche
post Oct 17 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,206

I am so sorry to here about your kitty. You did not say what the medical problem is with your cat other than not eating anymore. About a year ago one of my cats (I have 15 cats & 2 dogs) stopped eating, after a blood test my vet guessed he had FIP (fatal). I was not willing to give up on him until we were sure but I knew he would not make it if he was not eating no mater what he may have. As a last resort we tried force feeding him. I got Hills prescription diet a/d from my vet and the largest syringe they had. I mixed a little water with the food with a hand held blender, sucked it into the syringe and with my brother holding him on his back in his arms ( like you would a baby) I put the syringe in the corner of his mouth and slowly squeezed the syringe and he ate. It took a couple of days to get good at it and after 2 weeks of feeding him this way, twice a day he started eating on his own and has been fine ever since. I don't know if this is an option for you since I don't know the cats medical history but if you would like to try it and have any questions please email me at goodporsche@aol.com

Good luck
+Quote Post
Allan
post Oct 17 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #23

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry to hear about your friend Trekkor. I haven' lost a friend since I was a kid but I remember how hard it was...
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 17 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #24

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

That sucks Trek. We have two cats that I surprised my wife with right after we got married. Had 'em for ten years now. Its going to be a sad day when they are gone. Cats are cool.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Oct 17 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,022

Sorry to hear about your cat Trekkor. Losing a pet is a tough thing to go through. Take care
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 17 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #26

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks again for the comforting words and experiences.

This old cat has been getting smaller and weaker this past year.
Seems to be happiest sleeping on the end of the bed.

Our other two young cats always make the mad dash to the food bowls while Zellie would come at the seniors pace.

She slowly started skipping meals. We would carry her in and she would eat.

Sometimes bring in a bit of cantelope, one of her favorite snacks, to her.

Eventually, she just seemed to give up. Shes just old.
I'm looking over at her on a blanket, laboring to breath, but not in pain.
She doesn't cry. Only I do.
It's almost time to go...

KT
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Oct 17 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #27

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Trekkor, really really sorry ! I know too well what it's like (extended the life on mine with insulin shots for years). Anyway - it's both a blessing and a curse that we can love these furry little munchkins so much, yet they have such a limited time on earth. Love 'em while they're here, and miss them when they're gone, but know that while Zellie was with you, it was made to be the way it was, and that was done through love.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Oct 17 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,653

Man, this sounds exactly like my cat Bernie (Bernadette). Two years ago at age 15-16 she just slowed down and then stopped eating. Just wasn't interested in any kind of food - and I tried everything. She laid around (more than usual, if that's possible !) and wouldn't move unless I carried her. Massive weight loss, though she wasn't big to start with. One remarkable thing about animals : they seem much more able to accept pain and death than we humans. It was obvious that she was dying, but she would just lay there with dignity. (And this cat could definitely express her dissatisfaction !) Anyway, years before she had had a horrible experience going to the vet (my wife and I decided to have her declawed - I'll never do that again!) and from that day I couldn't get her into a pet carrier without her freaking out and peeing all over herself. So I decided to let her die at home, in her own time, unless it looked like she was starting to suffer. For the last day or two she stayed on my bed, and although she didn't like being petted, she seemed happy that I was there. In the middle of the night, she started "running" like in a dream, her eyes staring off into the distance. That sort of peaked and then she was gone. No words for how sad that day was. I wasn't sure I'd get another cat - how can you "replace" a friend ? - but a week or so after, I knew I had to have another cat. I got two, and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Hang in there, Trekkor. We're thinking of you.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Oct 17 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 17 2006, 10:57 AM) *

if a doctor cut off all my fingers to the first knuckle, i'd be peeing and POOPING at the thought of going for a ride too. a squirt gun and a tin can full of rocks to rattle, is an effective a behavior modification tool for cats that claw funiture.

k

Don't want this to turn into a hijack, but yeah I was totally shocked when I realized (aftewards) what a major surgery it was. Biggest problem is that after the surgery you can't explain to your cat "Don't jump or it's gonna hurt a lot and your feet will start bleeding again..." Cats don't think that way.

Several years ago, the house we were living in caught on fire. Called 911 to report it and they said "get out of the house now, don't take anything with you." So of course the first thing I did was track down Bernie and try to get her into the carrier. She was terrified - thought I was taking her back to the vet....

+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 17 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #30

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry to hear about your cat, Trek.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 17 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #31

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I'm sorry Trek.

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 17 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #32

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

It's done... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Vet said she prolly had cancer. We made the right decision.

KT
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 17 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #33

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

print that pretty picture of her and frame it. save her collar if she had one.

k
+Quote Post
Jerry
post Oct 17 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,892
Region Association: None

I know it was the right decision, it doesn't make it a lot more easy...but it was the right thing. I had my Siamese kitty for 17 years, together we went through the birth of 3 kids, a new home, a divorce... I was very glad to have her sitting in my lap purring every night.....especially after the divorce. Like a best friend. Well.... I have another now, can't ever replace her, they are very different....but, he is a cool kat and I am glad he is there. So... after a while, think about getting another one. Actually, around here, they just seem to show up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Oct 17 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #35

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I'm sorry Trek.

Get drunk, it helps.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Oct 17 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #36

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

Sorry to hear the news. It's always tough losing a part of your family - especially a pet that relies so much on you and always has unconditional love. Sometimethe right choice is the hardest one to make.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 17 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #37

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry Trek....
BTDT with dogs and cats..... Had to put down my pal Simon a few years ago, coolest dog ever... Similar issue with a tumor.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 17 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #38

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Sorry to hear about this Trek. Its always tough. Sheilah and I have always had a lot of cats and now dog. They are great little companions.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Oct 17 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #39

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

I had a kitten once. It was a Siamese. When I was 5, my dad was working in the Yard, and accidently stepped on it. I learned this 20 years later. He always told me Coyotes got it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That's my only experience with ever owning a cat, but I know what it's like to lose a long time friend. I put down my 14 year old Springer and Best companion "Echo" a couple of years ago. I got her in high school, and always joked about how she outlasted all of my other women.
She was hit by two cars, Had Tumors removed 3 times over 5 years, Suffered from Bloat twice , had her stomach stapled the second time..........etc. and it still brings a tear to my eye to think about her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But now we have "Buddy" and he's GREAT!

He doesn't replace Echo, but he's good to have around.

Hang in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Oct 17 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #40

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

Sorry to hear it.
Cancer is rough on anything that is alive.
I lost one cat a few years back to fairly aggressive cancer that was on her nose.
She was around 20-21 when she died.
I lost another cat just a few months ago.
We don't really know what was wrong with her, but it was terrible to see her in the end. She had gone mostly blind (blew her corneas due to high blood pressure) and wasn't eating anymore. She was 19 and I knew her all of my life.
We feel for you.

Charles
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 07:04 AM