Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are webers made of?, Can I weld it?
bondo
post Nov 18 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I'm rebuilding some webers for markb, and the holes in the tabs on the body for receiving the screws that hold the top on are cracked, and one is actually half missing (only half the hole is there). Is there any chance of welding this stuff or should I just do what I can with JB weld?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 18 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bondo @ Nov 18 2006, 12:19 PM) *

I'm rebuilding some webers for markb, and the holes in the tabs on the body for receiving the screws that hold the top on are cracked, and one is actually half missing (only half the hole is there). Is there any chance of welding this stuff or should I just do what I can with JB weld?

The 40's on my six have an epoxy repair...
+Quote Post
TimT
post Nov 18 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

Marine-tex is your friend
+Quote Post
bondo
post Nov 18 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Hmm, that's kinda what I figured. Is that really the best way to fix it? I guess I should be glad it's not spot exposed to gas.
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Nov 19 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #5

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231
Region Association: None

They can be welded very easily, by a good welder, the problem then is getting the weld machined flat, so no leaks, then the holes re drilled and tapped straight. I just had 2 sets done, and 1 of them for the same reason as yours, actually worse, 3 corners were broke off and the 4th was cracked.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Nov 19 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Nov 19 2006, 12:37 AM) *

They can be welded very easily, by a good welder, the problem then is getting the weld machined flat, so no leaks, then the holes re drilled and tapped straight. I just had 2 sets done, and 1 of them for the same reason as yours, actually worse, 3 corners were broke off and the 4th was cracked.

Ooh, that's what I wanted to hear. Anyone have any junk weber parts I can practice on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 07:28 AM