Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Turbo 914 begins..., (yes, I know you can't turbo a 914)
ottox914
post Oct 21 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #121

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Turbo install: the 9B installed the same way as the WRX turbo, just needed to re-do the header collector adaptor, (which will be re-done this winter to smooth the flow in) and do a new tail pipe:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Oct 21 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #122

The glory that once was.

Results? I now see 8 psi at WOT in 1st gear, boost building from 2500 or so in 2nd, and 10-11 from 3500 or so in 2nd gear to redline. AFR's are tuned with the SDS and wideband to be between 11-12 at WOT. The last half of the auto cross season, even on 4 yr old 710's has been a blast. In 2 events I had the 3rd fastest raw time, and was in the top 20 in the last 3. The 3rd place raw times were in grids of approx 120 cars, the top 20's were in 150+ car grids, with 8-10 national trophy winners and a couple of those wearing jackets as well.

Next? Still haven't made it to a dyno to see what it really makes, and what it can make. As our last event of the sesaon was last weekend, its now time to rest up a alittle, and get busy in the garage. Borrowed the equipment to do a compression and leak down test, need to put that to good use in the next couple weeks. Planning a new header adaptor to smooth the flow into the turbo, and water injection to keep head temps down, (the SDS can control this) and maybe add some more boost. The motor is still 100% stock. I think I'll pull the trans and do the flipped 5th gear to get a lower 3rd for the slightly longer tracks we set, and while the clutch is holding fine, might as well replace it while its all appart.

Wish list: better flowing heads and a cam with more exhaust duration from the Type IV store to push more air thru that turbo and spin it up sooner.

Lastly, a pic of the car at our last auto cross, which I was the course designer and EM. It was a theme auto cross, the theme being: Austin Powers, baby!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 21 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #123

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Ya BABY! You shagged that thing rotten! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Very cool project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 21 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #124

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Looking good David, next year lets turbo together.
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Oct 21 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you want nice transitions go to spdexhaust.com They are really good and not too expensive, at least for most parts.

They are who I used last year making this turbo setup.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Oct 24 2008, 08:01 AM
Post #126

The glory that once was.

Added a video of our last event. Working an a short compolation of several runs with a little music, hope to have time to finish it and get it loaded in a week or 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG7iIFa5AVU
+Quote Post
nola914
post Oct 27 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 5,440

David: Your project looks great. What fuel pump and pressure regulator are you using? And can the pump keep up with the flow required at top end? I'm curious about if you see any lean-out because of insufficent fuel flow.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Oct 29 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #128

The glory that once was.

QUOTE(nola914 @ Oct 27 2008, 09:06 PM) *

David: Your project looks great. What fuel pump and pressure regulator are you using? And can the pump keep up with the flow required at top end? I'm curious about if you see any lean-out because of insufficent fuel flow.

Go to my sig and click on the link to the SDS install thread. There are pictures and details on the pump and FPR there also. The pump is the often used walbro 255, and it has NO problems keeping up with the needs of the car. The FPR is an aeromotive unit that has a working pressure range of 20-60 psi, from summit racing. It is currently set at 40 psi fuel line pressure. The injectors are a matched set of 4 ford racing red tops, 30lb rated. At WOT and full boost my injector duty cycle is around 70%.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 29 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #129

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Looking good David!

About the only thing that I'd say may become an issue is the little strap on the tailpipe. Every time I've seen that done it ends up failing, as it will stress the entire exhaust system right back to the heads. A better mounting would be to modify the stock hanger (or a new stout unit) so that it provides proper support for the weight of the turbo and tailpipe.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 29 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #130

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

Nice muffler. =o) you got a video or a sound clip of your car running? I bet it's got a nice sound to it.

EDIT: just saw the link. I was so busy drooling over the pictures that I completely missed it. lol Looks good!

Post video Edit: And it sounds sweet!
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Oct 30 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #131

The glory that once was.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 29 2008, 06:46 AM) *

Looking good David!

About the only thing that I'd say may become an issue is the little strap on the tailpipe. Every time I've seen that done it ends up failing, as it will stress the entire exhaust system right back to the heads. A better mounting would be to modify the stock hanger (or a new stout unit) so that it provides proper support for the weight of the turbo and tailpipe.

Hey Mark, I was going back and forth about that for awhile. If I made it a solid mount to the trans, if there was any extra-ordinary expansion from the additional heat of the turbo, would I have cracking and tension in the system? If I had a flexable mount at the pipe, would there be enough support for the turbo? Would it move and wiggle and crack something? I flipped a mental coin and went with a tab off the tail pipe to a firm rubber coupling to the car. The system is pretty rigid, there is hardly any motion to it at all side to side. I'm hoping there is not to much stress on the heads/header connection. No problems so far, but still not sure which was the right choice. I totally see your point, and may re-think a brace or support from the turbo to the trans when I re-do the header collector to turbo adaptor this winter.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 30 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #132

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've done/seen many systems T1 and T4, every time a strap has been done in this fashion it has resulted in a failure of some type.

The sidewinder header I built for a T4 356 kit was too heavy and started to loosen the bolts at the collector, the owner had these straps added at a local shop (without my knowledge), ended up pulling out most of the exhaust studs.
A solid mount was made and mounted direct to the engine, so far no issues

I've used 2 A1 (brand) T4 to bug conversion headers, while no straps were used they (IMHO) are too heavy for just the exhaust studs. Damage was again done to 1 of the heads within 6 weeks, solid mount to engine was made (for both engines) and and both have been running without issue for 3 years.

T1 engines with these straps did not break at the exhaust studs but would fail somewhere at the tubing or muffler.

BTW When I say "solid mount" to the engine the system is still isolated from the chassis via the motor/trans mounts as in the 914 stock exhaust system.
Also I'd say there is not a whole lot of expansion stress from the stock type mounting because even a stock system would have a fair bit of expansion.
+Quote Post
arvcube
post Oct 30 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 8,147

Makes alot of sense considering most other engine turbo setups use turbo braces that fasten to the engine block, and some of the exhaust flex is made through a flex pipe somewhere on the down pipe connecting the turbo to the exhaust. granted the turbo manifold/header is alot shorter in those cases, yet you would think that the turbo support to the engine would be even more crucial considering the length of the turbo manifold/header used in T4 applications. I see it as...if the engine moves, the turbo should move the exact same way as if it were bolted directly to the block..in this case...case!
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Oct 30 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

I'd also have a concern about system "growth" when fully hot and rigid mounts at the turbo? I have a similar dilemma with turbo out beside the trans and a good ways from the engine exhaust ports. No flex pipes, full rigid system. I'm sure it will put too much strain on the headpipes to support the whole thing, especially with the heavy turbo cantilevered way out back. Needs some kind of bracing, and to effectively support the turbo seems like it need to be trianglated off the trans (tail cone and side plate studs). But then this tries to prevent any growth movement - definitely a catch-22 situation! Maybe a heat dissapating aluminum "transition" mount off the turbo flange, through rubber standoff type mounts, to a triangulated tube mount off the trans? Seems kin'a rube goldberg, but at the same time would seem to solve the issues. Still thinking about this one...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Oct 30 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #135

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

love the vid! car goes like stink! I love it....sounds GREAT! Not to mention the attn to detail...looks very nice.

josh
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Oct 31 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #136

The glory that once was.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 30 2008, 07:45 AM) *

I've done/seen many systems T1 and T4, every time a strap has been done in this fashion it has resulted in a failure of some type.

The sidewinder header I built for a T4 356 kit was too heavy and started to loosen the bolts at the collector, the owner had these straps added at a local shop (without my knowledge), ended up pulling out most of the exhaust studs.
A solid mount was made and mounted direct to the engine, so far no issues

I've used 2 A1 (brand) T4 to bug conversion headers, while no straps were used they (IMHO) are too heavy for just the exhaust studs. Damage was again done to 1 of the heads within 6 weeks, solid mount to engine was made (for both engines) and and both have been running without issue for 3 years.

T1 engines with these straps did not break at the exhaust studs but would fail somewhere at the tubing or muffler.

BTW When I say "solid mount" to the engine the system is still isolated from the chassis via the motor/trans mounts as in the 914 stock exhaust system.
Also I'd say there is not a whole lot of expansion stress from the stock type mounting because even a stock system would have a fair bit of expansion.

Hard to argue with the voice of experience. Guess I'll add more/better turbo bracing to the winter to do list of updates/upgrades.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Nov 3 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #137

The glory that once was.

New video added of our last auto cross of the season. I had inititally added some backing music, by a certain guitar player named Jimi, a certain song with the word "fire" in the title, thinking he's been OD'd, dead and gone for so long, who'd care, its not like I'm selling copies or charging to see it- well you tube did, and would not post it with the music, so I had to delete it. If you were to figure out the song and start it at the same time as the video, you'd get the full effect.

To many things on the "honey do" list over this past warm weekend, did not get the compression or leak down done on the 914. Today should be one of the last mid 60's days in WI, I better get to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzrvC2Wfzso
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Nov 20 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #138

The glory that once was.

Project 914 turbo gets some press!

http://www.sdsefi.com/project.html

Haven't been keeping this thread updated much lately, sorry. Perhaps over thanksgiving I'll be able to put a little time into updates and get everyone current.

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 20 2008, 08:34 AM
Post #139

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice pictures of your 914 David. Clean install. Oh yeah, YOU CAN'T TURBO A 914!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Solo914
post Nov 20 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 5,678
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 19 2008, 10:29 PM) *

Project 914 turbo gets some press!

http://www.sdsefi.com/project.html

Haven't been keeping this thread updated much lately, sorry. Perhaps over thanksgiving I'll be able to put a little time into updates and get everyone current.

Very cool stuff.. So, when do you hit the dyno (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:09 AM