Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Turbo 914 begins..., (yes, I know you can't turbo a 914)
ottox914
post Jan 26 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #261

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

McMark- get that thing in a car asap and let me know how it goes, and if I need to fund a K03 for my car.

I tired of doing all the R & D around here...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

tscrihfield- Thank you for your post and insights. Just enough math to make your point and keep it interesting, not so much as to melt my limited brain cells.

So being as my 13T and your 13G are close cousins, can I expect the 13G to bolt right in place of my 13T? And if so, how might I get your 13G up to my place this spring? Do you ever have to travel for work to the twin cities area...

So far as airflow thru the motor, OUR (me, Len Hoffman, and Jake) thought process was that stock sized intake valves, would promote more velocity into the head at low flow/pressure rates for better cylinder filling and off boost performance, and that the turbo would push in as much as would fit once things got cooking along. The intake/exhaust ratio is around 85% as I recall, so there should be about as much flow out the exhaust as possible with out compromising the head castings. The exhaust is a standard kerry hunter 4:1 system. I'm not sure of the size of the tubes, but they are not gigantic. I don't expect to push much more than 14psi thru the motor, so lots of pressure is not in the cards. I'd just like to get to that 14 a little sooner.

Any thoughts on why the 9B would have been such a poor performing unit, barely able to make 5-6 psi, and all of that on the top end, vs the 13T making 12-13psi at top end, and spooling up nicely? There were NO changes to the car other than just swapping out one turbo for the other. How closely spec'd are the 9B and 13G?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jan 26 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #262

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jan 26 2013, 11:58 AM) *

McMark- get that thing in a car asap and let me know how it goes, and if I need to fund a K03 for my car.

I tired of doing all the R & D around here...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

tscrihfield- Thank you for your post and insights. Just enough math to make your point and keep it interesting, not so much as to melt my limited brain cells.

So being as my 13T and your 13G are close cousins, can I expect the 13G to bolt right in place of my 13T? And if so, how might I get your 13G up to my place this spring? Do you ever have to travel for work to the twin cities area...

So far as airflow thru the motor, OUR (me, Len Hoffman, and Jake) thought process was that stock sized intake valves, would promote more velocity into the head at low flow/pressure rates for better cylinder filling and off boost performance, and that the turbo would push in as much as would fit once things got cooking along. The intake/exhaust ratio is around 85% as I recall, so there should be about as much flow out the exhaust as possible with out compromising the head castings. The exhaust is a standard kerry hunter 4:1 system. I'm not sure of the size of the tubes, but they are not gigantic. I don't expect to push much more than 14psi thru the motor, so lots of pressure is not in the cards. I'd just like to get to that 14 a little sooner.

Any thoughts on why the 9B would have been such a poor performing unit, barely able to make 5-6 psi, and all of that on the top end, vs the 13T making 12-13psi at top end, and spooling up nicely? There were NO changes to the car other than just swapping out one turbo for the other. How closely spec'd are the 9B and 13G?

I almost forgot to tell you that all of my CFM calculations were based on your engine @6000rpm.

On getting the 13g to you, I could ship it. I was just in Minneapolis a week ago... I may be up there in a month or so, but not sure yet. This is the turbo inlet...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1359224889.1.jpg)
And the outlet...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1359224889.2.jpg)

Knowing your efficiency in your heads tells me that the flow of your engine will be 365-370 CFM. This would explain the late spool for the 13T.

For the 9b, it sounds like that little guy was being worked to death! That turbo would have hit max boost when your engine hit 3400 rpm. After that it would have been fighting itself. That little guys max flow is 265CFM. The 9b is far away from the 13b by nearly 100CFM capability.

Thomas

+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jun 9 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #263

The glory that once was.

Back again. Started a new job in Feb, and getting my feet wet there has taken up a bunch of my time. That, and the cold, damp, no-fun weather in my neck of the woods have not encouraged garage time.

ANYWAY, thanks tscrihfield, (Thomas) for your info, and the offer of a turbo. Sent you a PM on that. Speaking of, anyone have any flanges that would work with the pictured turbo? The exhaust side is interesting, as depending on the flange, it looks like you could do a divorced waste gate set up. Hmmmmm..... interesting. More pics would be nice, of the turbo itself, so I could see what the options are to clock the housings to get the right orientation for my application. I'd be curious to see some of the maths used to determine the application of one turbo over another, and how the K03/K04 twins would fit as potential options. Any additional specs of the engine you would need for better calculations? If you need a couple bucks for the turbo, lets talk.

Dave
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jun 11 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #264

The glory that once was.

Thomas has generously offered up the turbo pictured above for "development" purposes on the 914 turbo project. Don't know how soon it will show up, or when I'll have time to goof around with it on the car, but I'm excited!

I'll keep the updates coming as progress occurs.
+Quote Post
ddv005
post Oct 30 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #265

Member No.: 16,551
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jun 11 2013, 11:05 PM) *

Thomas has generously offered up the turbo pictured above for "development" purposes on the 914 turbo project. Don't know how soon it will show up, or when I'll have time to goof around with it on the car, but I'm excited!

I'll keep the updates coming as progress occurs.

Any Updates : )
+Quote Post
ddv005
post Oct 30 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 16,551
Region Association: South East States

Please see attachment

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Oct 30 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #267

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Man! I just got rid of my VF31 and VF 32. The 32 probably would have been perfect.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Nov 2 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #268

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

the article is in my blog

jim

---------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

It's been done before get a copy of June 02' Excellence magazine 2.0 4 cyl. w/CIS injection and a K 26 turbo still runnning strong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
[/quote]
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 03:05 AM