Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> TALIMENA 1, OK, TX & AR 914 Spring Road Tour
Joseph Mills
post Feb 26 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #1

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

Here's the "official" posting:

For the 3rd year in a row... we're driving down Oklahoma Highway One... one more time!

Attached Image

As it's been for the last two years... this is an informal NO FEES, NO FRILLS, NO T-SHIRT, real CHEAP MOTEL gathering of teener owners with an emphasis on DRIVING!

Well... that and hangin' out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The date for this year will be Saturday, April 7th (day before easter). This weekend has been chosen because there will be no conflicting "car events" surrounding this date. Children are welcome and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt.

OVERVIEW:

As in the past, the tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, feel free to meet me at the next MUSR AX...

All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!

We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Kiamichi Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties, owned by Miss Kitty, who has again given her blessings for our Saturday night cookout in the parking lot right next to our cars. Many of us arrive on Friday.

For the drive, from Talihina, we approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in their best condition. Several drivers have told me "THIS is better than any friggin' DE I've ever attended!"

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

Remember, this is not a drive around the block - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. Or cared for... or left behind (we'll pick you up on the way back). Extra parts, tools and AAA are strongly advised.

We will tour around Mena, have lunch, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. Don't even bother trying to re-wind the turns backwards... won't work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. We will be in touch as the time draws near.

Talihina, OK (http://www.talihinacc.com/).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
The rates are about the same as last year:
1 bed 1-2 people 38.41
2 bed 2-3 people 49.39
3 bed 3-5 people 65.36
(In some cases, an extra 5.00 may be charged for the 3rd or 4th person)

Attendees list as of 3/20:

Joseph & Rea (plus Edith), OK
Curt & Angela, OK
Clay & Betty, TX
Rusty, AL
Doug & "Das Weibchen", TX
Stephen, Krebs OK

I will update this list as you reply to this thread or PM me.

I'm working on a "schedule" of events.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Twystd1
post Mar 9 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #21

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I have to tell you nut cases sumpin.

Even though I live In SoCal and get the opportunity to hang out with other 914 owners on any given day of the week if I so choose.

Everytime I read this thread for the Talimena drive. I get jealous as hell.

Me thinks you folks are gunna have a very good time on this cruise.
Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not..... I will be with you guys in spirit. Cause this gathering is really fuchin cool. I can tell by the responses to this thread.

Good luck and report back..!!!

Regards to all,
Clayton
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 9 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #22

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 9 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Even though I live In SoCal and get the opportunity to hang out with other 914 owners on any given day of the week if I so choose.

Everytime I read this thread for the Talimena drive. I get jealous as hell.

Me thinks you folks are gunna have a very good time on this cruise.
Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not..... I will be with you guys in spirit. Cause this gathering is really fuchin cool. I can tell by the responses to this thread.

Good luck and report back..!!!

Regards to all,
Clayton

Airplane tickets from Ontairo to DFW are cheap, and I have an empty seat for this event. Or you can ride with Rusty in the PURPLE 914!!!!

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 10 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #23

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not.....
Regards to all,
Clayton

Its only a one day event, but I'll bet someone post pics anyway.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 10 2007, 07:02 AM) *

Please post daily on your antics and folderol as it happens if you are sober or not.....
Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -
Sit in parking lot Friday PM and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
Drive Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Sit in hotel parking lot Sarurday night and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Sunday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) home

Welcome to a one day event... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Mar 10 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ Feb 26 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Here's the "official" posting:

For the 3rd year in a row... we're driving down Oklahoma Highway One... one more time!

Attached Image

As it's been for the last two years... this is an informal NO FEES, NO FRILLS, NO T-SHIRT, real CHEAP MOTEL gathering of teener owners with an emphasis on DRIVING!

Well... that and hangin' out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The date for this year will be Saturday, April 7th (day before easter). This weekend has been chosen because there will be no conflicting "car events" surrounding this date. Children are welcome and maybe we will have a 914 easter egg hunt.

OVERVIEW:

As in the past, the tour will be similar in nature to the MUSR road tours, in that there will be opportunities for some "spirited" driving, but it is not a race, nor is it a competition. If you want to race, feel free to meet me at the next MUSR AX...

All participants are encouraged to drive at their own comfortable pace. We will be stopping on numerous occasions for "breaks" at the scenic viewpoints and a few "photo ops'. This will allow us to re-group when necessary. Bring your camera!

We will meet in Talihina, OK, at the Kiamichi Inn. This is a classic "car" motel from the sixties, owned by Miss Kitty, who has again given her blessings for our Saturday night cookout in the parking lot right next to our cars. Many of us arrive on Friday.

For the drive, from Talihina, we approach State Highway 1, also known as the Talimena National Scenic Byway, or for short, Talimena Drive. This road runs for sixty miles to the town of Mena, AR. Although other states can boast of a larger quantity of twisties, Talimena holds it's own when it comes to a driving challenge, and has been identified as one of the best sportscar roads in America by Car and Driver Magazine and various other car and bike organizations. It extends west to east on top of the ridgeline of Winding Stair Mountain and Rich Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest north of the Kiamichi Mountains.

These sixty miles of highway are filled with sharp curves and 13% grades of unbroken blacktop. There are lots of both low and high speed turns with many tight switchbacks that are often preceded by steep downhill grades. Your brakes should be in their best condition. Several drivers have told me "THIS is better than any friggin' DE I've ever attended!"

Overall, the road surface itself is in very good shape with only occasional, rough areas. There are many scenic vistas that overlook the valleys for pulling over and regrouping, or taking some pics. All of it comes together so nicely, that even if you're temporarily stuck behind a slow moving RV, it's still a cool drive.

Remember, this is not a drive around the block - be adequately prepared... or be prepared to be adequately humiliated. Or cared for... or left behind (we'll pick you up on the way back). Extra parts, tools and AAA are strongly advised.

We will tour around Mena, have lunch, and when everyone is ready, get back to the driving task at hand, and tour back to Talihina. Don't even bother trying to re-wind the turns backwards... won't work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

After a break, we'll get together for our cookout and favorite beverages. Sunday morning we'll have a nice breakfast before heading home.

This is a fair weather get together. Mild chance of rain will not deter us, however eminent threat of severe precipitation will cancel our plans. We will be in touch as the time draws near.

Talihina, OK (http://www.talihinacc.com/).

For reservations call 918-567-2243. Tell "Kitty" you're with the 914 group.
The rates are about the same as last year:
1 bed 1-2 people 38.41
2 bed 2-3 people 49.39
3 bed 3-5 people 65.36
(In some cases, an extra 5.00 may be charged for the 3rd or 4th person)

Attendees list as of 3/06:

Joseph & Rea (plus Edith) OK
Curt & Angela OK
Clay & Betty TX
Rusty MS
Doug & "Das Weibchen" TX

I will update this list as you reply to this thread or PM me.

I'm working on a "schedule" of events.

Rusty is not located in MS but Alabama. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aubergine914.jpg)

Other colors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/red914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/betty914.jpg) known
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 10 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #26

I drive my car everyday

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM) *

Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -
Sit in hotel parking lot Sarurday night and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Not everyone arrives on friday night (me) and stays over on Saturday night!!!! Its only a two hour drive from here.

Arrive Sat @10:00am, Leave Sun @10:am. Hmm, 24 hours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Are you going to grace us Thom?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 10 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 10 2007, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM) *

Regards to all,
Clayton

Arrive Friday night -

Not everyone arrives on friday night (me) and stays over on Saturday night!!!! Its only a two hour drive from here.

Arrive Sat @10:00am, Leave Sun @10:am. Hmm, 24 hours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yea Thom, Are you going to come again this year? Are you going to regale us with tales of you phantom 914... the one that no one has ever seen????

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Mar 10 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am seriously considering it, but, I am sick and tired of going to events and not driving my 914 - I have moved forward with my car more than ever in the last 12 months, but I seriously doubt it will even be ready for the MUSR -

Heather and I did have a great time last year riding with others though -
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 12 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #29

I drive my car everyday

I will have a spare seat in my car, and Angela will have one in her Vette (behind me of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 14 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #30

I drive my car everyday

Booked my room today. Car is running sweet. Here we come!!!!!!!!1
+Quote Post
dagdal1967
post Mar 19 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #31

What are YOU looking at...

Member No.: 423

Just booked my room too. I (we?) will be arriving on the Friday evening. Can't wait!

Doug
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #32

Is it time to leave yet?? :toe tapping:

I need a vacation right now!!!!!

+Quote Post
dagdal1967
post Mar 19 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2007, 02:01 PM) *

Is it time to leave yet?? :toe tapping:

I need a vacation right now!!!!!

Soon Clay... Very soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

What time are you guys leaving on Friday? Might be nice to drive up together, but I was planning to wait until after work.

Doug
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #34

Around Noon.

Don't follow the mapquest directions, it takes longer that way. I can send you directions that will be easier and more scenic.

+Quote Post
dagdal1967
post Mar 20 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2007, 11:27 PM) *

Around Noon.

Don't follow the mapquest directions, it takes longer that way. I can send you directions that will be easier and more scenic.

Ok.. I'll get the directions from you when we talk about the Fuel Pump issue. I'm all for scenic beauty especially if it gets me there quicker!

I'm not sure David is coming now.. He may be working that weekend so I may be able to take off sooner then 4:00

We'll see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 20 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #36

After speaking with Betty, we are planning to leave from Wes' shop around 3 to beat the traffic leaving Dallas at rush hour.

+Quote Post
dagdal1967
post Mar 21 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 20 2007, 08:50 PM) *

After speaking with Betty, we are planning to leave from Wes' shop around 3 to beat the traffic leaving Dallas at rush hour.

I can probably make that. Should be fun!

Doug
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Mar 22 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #38

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

Still no teener rolling on the ground yet but we just picked up a {cough} Miata on Monday.... If you don't mind rice with your kraut I'll try to talk the wifey into a weekend drive...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 22 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Mar 22 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Still no teener rolling on the ground yet but we just picked up a {cough} Miata on Monday.... If you don't mind rice with your kraut I'll try to talk the wifey into a weekend drive...

Naa.. we dont' mind. Come and play with us.....

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 22 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #40

Just talked with some of the local guys.

On the possible list is:

Don Doumeq
Richard Fisher
Mike and Julie Floyd.

On the Definite list is:

Robyn and Travis Howard.

WooHoo!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:22 PM