Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building a 302 / 3.00" stroke / 8,500 RPM, V-8 Car
3liter914-6
post Mar 6 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #21

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Mar 6 2007, 12:19 AM) *

For now I am going with a G.M. crate long block and use my heads and a different cam. This will cost under 2K and work perfect for everyday driving.

If you're going to dump the heads and the cam from the longblock, for under $2K you can build a pretty bitchen short block (assuming you are willing to assemble). $3-400 will get you a ready to build 2 or 4 bolt block. Throw in an Eagle/Scat nodular steel crank, forged rods, a set of hypers, and you've got a shortblock rated for 7K/500hp.

$400 Block
$200 Scat 9000 Comp crankshaft
$250 Eagle SIR I-beam rods
$250 Speed Pro flat-top hypereutectic pistons
$100 Piston Rings
$100 Bearings
$175 Balancing
$400 misc (seals, timing gear, oil pump, pushrods, gaskets, shipping)
_________
$1875

You can match or beat these prices on eBay, and get better deals by checking Chevy forums.

I had this exact combo in my Volvo with an LT4 HOTcam and a set of AFR 195CC cylinder heads. I never got a chance to fully tune it*, but it was very smooth, and certainly capable of 400hp once I got the timing sorted. It had great low end power (pushing 1000lbs less I'm sure it'd be even better), and a really nice top end that came on around 3.5K and pulled like crazy to ~6.5K. Your valvetrain is going to be the limiting factor in how high you can rev it.

*it ate a lifter at 300 miles (damn Comp Rs), and the bearings are shot. While it's down I'm throwing in a set of Mahle PowerPak pistons and a forged Eagle 3.50" crank. The valvetrain is getting a set of beehive springs & LS7 lifters, as I originally didn't expect to make power beyond 6K.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 6 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Mar 5 2007, 10:49 PM) *

I think that is a good choice for now IMO and knowing what you have been looking for up to now which is a good, smooth riding streeter car.

Down the road a really badass combo is a 400 block and 350 crank (the big bore helps to unshroud the valves on a good aftermarket head and with the 3.48 stroke you can get a 6" rod in there and good rod/stroke ratio). Built a couple of those - one for another 69 Camaro drag car (built a lot of ripping small blocks for 69 Camaros!) With the 930 trans you could use a "big but streetable" hyd roller cam, shift just under 7K, the motor would sound fantastic, run forever and should be able to push 500HP on pump gas if built right. 377 cubes assuming .030" over 400 block. SRP has an OTS piston for that combo - go flattop and 11:1 and run 91 pump gas.

That would be the engine I would recommend for a street 914 with a 930 trans. The only reason to shorten the stroke is to spin it and that just isn't a "street" way of thinking. I almost built that for mine but I really like to spin 'em so I went short stroke. Streeter would have been 377 for that light car.

Considering your experiences building engines and having your car set-up as it is , your advice is important. I think the time just wasn't right to build a engine of this caliber. I have read some great reviews of your set up / 400 - 350 and did consider that displacement. I built this car to drive, and I hope to have it running again in a few days.
P.S. I just love the sound of your car going down the back straight in the video... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 6 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #23

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Mar 6 2007, 06:46 AM) *

Considering your experiences building engines and having your car set-up as it is , your advice is important. I think the time just wasn't right to build a engine of this caliber. I have read some great reviews of your set up / 400 - 350 and did consider that displacement.

Just to be clear about my combo, I recommend the 400-350 crank combo for 377cubes at .030 over for your car. Mine is actually 400-327 crank for a total of 353 cubes at .030 over. Just wanted to be clear that I used a shorter crank than I recommended to you for a more streetable engine.

I like big bore to stroke ratio motors and getting a good rod to stroke ratio for longevity. That is just my thing. But on that note, I have built a ton of 383-430 cube stroked small blocks for big torque. With the light little car, that 400-350 crank combo would be really really cool and the acceleration would make your eyes bleed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Mind you that combo will still make a lot of torque, you might be near 460-480 lb-ft and 500HP with a good hyd roller cam. The key is that those long stroke short rod motors can spin but not for long at high rpm without needing some sort of refresh. A pretty straight-forward combo of stock 400 2-bolt block with studded mains (and a girdle would be good), a stock steel 350 crank, 6" H-beams (they're cheap and we had a set in a 347 budget Ford with 30psi in the 8s!!) and OTS SRP pistons (or Ross,etc) would be an reasonably price combo that would live forever in that car even if you shifted at 7K everytime.

And with a 24"-25" tall tire on the rear you could clear 130mph before going to 4th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I hit 141mph with mine before shifting to 4th at 7300rpm. And I clear 60 in 1st which at sea level would be in about 2.9-3.1 seconds assuming I hooked up.

P.S. I just love the sound of your car going down the back straight in the video... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks... I don't think that was 7K yet either on the warmup laps, maybe 5500. but that said, sprint car headers with 3.5" straight thru mufflers slipped on them will make anything sound mean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Uncorked tho' and I can't hear myself think...

edit - when you want to build a serious SBC, PM me and I will get you Troy's # in Anaheim. He will give you a good quote (I have always felt he charged too little for his knowledge and capability) and build a solid engine to do exactly what you want. For reputation... he has recently been doing almost all if not all of PI's engines for their Panteras including a twin turbo one right now and has a nationwide reputation and sales. I built roughly a short block a day for about 4 yrs straight and they are still at that level. I had 400 under my belt in one year (some were complete engines of course but all have a short block)
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 6 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #24

byndbad914,
Thanks for the information, I would like to talk to someone close to home. I am just getting the new engine installed and it should be going tomorrow. My one car garage looks crazy with a 914, engine stand, engine hoist and things stuffed everywhere. I have to push the car in and out to move things around. Post some more videos of the beast!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 8 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 4 2007, 12:19 AM) *

I will remind my friends with Z06 Corvettes, They got burned by Chevy with a 400 HP truck engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yappin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hitfan[1].gif)

I thought the Z06 had 500+ hp. Just saw one on Speed on the Targa-Newfoundland "race" and that thing was smokin' fast.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 8 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #26

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 7 2007, 11:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 4 2007, 12:19 AM) *

I will remind my friends with Z06 Corvettes, They got burned by Chevy with a 400 HP truck engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yappin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hitfan[1].gif)

I thought the Z06 had 500+ hp. Just saw one on Speed on the Targa-Newfoundland "race" and that thing was smokin' fast.

the C5 car had ~ 400HP, the one you saw is the new C6 Z06 which is probably the coolest car for the $$ ever IMO and I hated Chevies up until the C6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I hate the new headlights (woulda liked to see popups that had a short popup with those fugly little lights v. the huge clear lens and the fugly little lights) but other than that the new Z06 is hands-down the shit! LS7 engine = 427 cubes and 505HP. Schweet car. Built a couple of 4.125" bore 4" stroke LS6 combos but that required sleeving the blocks and such, and Chevy actually paid attention to what was being done and developed one in-house. Very cool direction Chevy is going with their performance (tho' not a big fan of their styling overall other than the Vette). I gave up on Ford a few years back and am was more or less a Ronin until the C6 Z06.

edit - btw it is funny you mention that car as one of my previous posts I mentioned buying a crate LS7 but then deleted it as it was irrelevant with budget constraints. Drive-ability, that LS7 setup would be a very cool swap hint hint nudge nudge...
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 9 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #27

Well I have the engine in, everything all clean and painted. This one car garage thing is a big pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) . I have to make a reservation with the neighbors before starting and braking in the cam etc. My next door neighbor is a real pain in the A*S. Has me down at my town-home board meetings due to noise, there are two homes closer and they have no issues but "SHE" does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Lets see my shoulders hurt, back, neck, from trying to be quiet.
I would love to put a real burner in, but thats for later, now I'll just keep my head down and enjoy this engine.
I have another project looming, my Fiat X19 9 is getting a Honda K20 and a 5 speed. That should push out about 220 hp and be a quick as the 914. I may start that in a few months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Mar 9 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #28

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I know where a 2007 ZO6 engine and tranny with ECU and wiring is.

In a back yard in San Bernardino.

The Vette was a dealership car and the mechanic took it out for test run. He got T-Boned in the rear exiting the driveway.

Car is a total write off. Somehow the front clip ended up in a guys backyard.... I wondered how that happened??????

I am trying to get the front suspension for a friend. Makes for a wicked handling and braking Kit Car.

The rear end is still good as are the rear brakes.

I so want this engine and tranny. I can't afford it. And I don't have anything to to put it in. I wonder what it's worth?
500 HP of LS7.... Put it in a 911...????

C
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 9 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 8 2007, 11:14 PM) *

I know where a 2007 ZO6 engine and tranny with ECU and wiring is.

I so want this engine and tranny. I can't afford it. And I don't have anything to to put it in. I wonder what it's worth?
500 HP of LS7.... Put it in a 911...????

C

Sounds like an expensive package, I would think the engine would go for a bundle. Sure I would like that!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:20 AM