Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

10 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright, let's talk 914-6 ...
Bullethead
post Jun 27 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #81

Oil Cooled heart

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,875
Region Association: South East States

I recently purchased a clean 1970 914/6 roller from a well-known Porsche restorer, with what appear to be factory installed GT flares. While I'm waiting on the kardex, can anyone explain why the Karmann tag would be missing the body number, and only show two digits of the paint code? I've found examples of this
on GTs, per this photo. All body panel numbers (including hand-written ones) match with the VIN stampings, tags and door decal. Thanks for the clarification
if there is one!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Jun 27 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #82

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 13 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Engine lid had smaller diameter (lighter) torsion springs since no drip tray. Rare to get Factory installed radio/antenna on 70's (1 of mine has it). Although it has been said that a Heated/Tinted rear window did not exist. Mine has it.

T.C.

My dad's 914-6 has the rear window defroster too! Mine does not.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 27 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #83

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 28 2010, 04:28 AM) *

... with what appear to be factory installed GT flares.

what makes you think so?

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 28 2010, 04:28 AM) *

... can anyone explain why the Karmann tag would be missing the body number, and only show two digits of the paint code? ...

that's exactly the way it has to be on a factory /6

btw - what's the VIN of this car?

and

show us pics of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Jun 27 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #84

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 27 2010, 07:28 PM) *

I recently purchased a clean 1970 914/6 roller from a well-known Porsche restorer, with what appear to be factory installed GT flares. While I'm waiting on the kardex, can anyone explain why the Karmann tag would be missing the body number, and only show two digits of the paint code? I've found examples of this
on GTs, per this photo. All body panel numbers (including hand-written ones) match with the VIN stampings, tags and door decal. Thanks for the clarification
if there is one!

914-6's were made by Porsche and 914-4's were made at the Karmann factory. That is why your 914-6 doesn't have a chassis number on the Karmann tag.

All 1970-71 914-6's show a 2 digit paint number on the door jam tag.

Unless your 1970 914-6 is a factory GT, your six more than likely didn't originally have flares. You would know if your car was a real factory GT (many interior differences, front oil cooler, engine, unique engine lid, 100 liter gas tank, etc. etc. etc.). All the flared bodied 914-6's produced in 1970 were GT's. The 914-6 M471 optioned (homologation, Street GT's) were only available in model years 1971 and 1972.
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Jun 29 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #85

Oil Cooled heart

Thank you, Steve and Wolfgang. Finally found B. Johnson's 914-6 resto guide and authenticity book my wife got me a couple of years ago, a big help. The car was steam-cleaned today in prep for disassembly, will take some photos this week to post. There is no cooler now but the front pan has a louvered floor. The flares were skillfully butt welded... both front and rear decklids have been replaced; they are different colors. The tach is missing as well, replaced with a 914-4 unit. What interior pieces there are seem to have been to someone's taste, brown cord-insert seats and wooden dash inserts. It has 908 front brakes, but the bumpers are chrome. There's still some stuff to collect from the seller. Regardless of how it got the mods, my intention is to build a GT clone.

VIN #9140431396 was built 4/70 and is 1410 Signal Orange.

While waiting for info on the car I posted the VIN here and found a Texas member had already, so assume he was a PO. He hasn't yet responded to a PM sent and unfortunately listed no email address. The Arkanas title is from 1997 but I didn't find that person's name in the membership rolls. If anyone knows of this car, any history available is appreciated.

Much obliged, looking forward to learning more about these great Porsches, and patiently building an accurate example of the GT.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Jun 29 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #86

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

You're probably aware of this website but just in case your not.....

Armando 914-6 GT website

The best 914-6 GT website on the net.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 30 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 30 2010, 05:36 AM) *

If anyone knows of this car, any history available is appreciated.

this car sold via eBay on August 26, 2007

here's the vehicle description from the auction:

This is a factory 914-6 # 1396 manufactured April 1970. It has factory steel flares and was raced for a number of years before going into storage. I don’t know the extent of its racing history, however there are IMSA, SCCA and PCA stickers on the windshield. The previous owner was an active member of the Porsche community, but I have been unable to get in touch with him to get more history on the car.

My plan was to restore it to be street legal with factory racer look. While there is currently no drivetrain, it does include very hard to find items like the factory 914-6 oil tank, factory 914-6 oil cooler, and factory engine mount, as pictured. The car also comes with freshly rechromed front and rear bumpers. The bumper tops are just ok.

When the car was retired many of the race spec parts were removed, like the fiberglass hood and deck lids, so they have been replaced with stock steel parts, and were given a quick coat of orange. The pedal assembly, calipers, and rear rotors were also removed. Replacements are readily available. The only part that would be difficult to find are the original rear calipers, but later 911 calipers are very affordable and perform much better. The master cylinder is still there, as well as front rotors, and stainless brake lines. It also has turbo tie rods. There is an adjustable proportioning valve that’s still in the center tunnel.

The body is very straight and the doors both open and close easily. It looks like someone started sanding it down for a repaint. There were a couple spots where the paint/primer got thin, so I hit those areas with orange paint just to keep corrosion at bay until it was time to restore it. The only ding worth mentioning is towards the front of the hood on the passenger’s side, and it’s small.

While the car is solid, there was a repair done to the passenger’s side longitudinal that is clearly non-factory. The work appears to have been done a long time ago, and perhaps the factory repair panels were not available at the time. In any event, I’ve included pictures of the area in question, and I would personally consider replacing the section with a factory piece from restoration design or from a donor car. The door gap and alignment is excellent, and while a bit creative, it has evidently been strong enough to withstand the rigors of racing. It’s hard to tell if it was replaced as a result of corrosion like most of them have, or as a result of an accident. If I had to guess I’d say probably an accident, as the car does not
appear to have been particularly rusty.

I did find a little bit of rust in the front trunk, where the wiring harness exits the firewall (see pic) and it appears to be fairly minor. There is a small spot at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side where some pitting took place, but the steel is still solid. There's a small area on the pass. fender, near where an antanna hole would be where some filler was used. I don't know if it was related to corrosion or not, but worth mentioning.

I would strongly suggest removing all the suspension and inspecting all the load bearing mounting points, as they are subject to fatigue with track use, and even with spirited road use. I would personally consider doing a chemical dip/strip on the entire chassis. That way it reveals the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The 914-6 is finally going up enough in value that it makes financial sense to do a thorough restoration. With the chassis stripped it would be fairly straight forward to graft in any needed parts from a nice west coast donor car. It’s not uncommon to see a solid 914-4 chassis sell for a few hundred dollars and provide all the necessary factory sheet metal. The two other areas I noticed were a small repair in the front left corner under the head light that was pretty well done and the sheet metal apron behind the rear bumper looks to have been bent up at some point and then straightened. Access is very good and it would be easy to repair.

The rear spoiler is not currently mounted, and no holes have been drilled in the lid. The wheels are factory forged 15x8’s in the rear, and 15x7 pseudo fuchs in the front. The front targa seal is in nice condition, as are the side seals on the targa bar. The wiring looks to be in very good condition. The rear valance and rocker panels are stock steel pieces. The oil tank should be cleaned by a radiator shop before use, but appears in excellent condition. The oil cooler has been cleaned and pressure tested, so should be fine to use as is.

The interior is really quite nice and in good condition. Obviously no carpets, but the car still retains the factory non-movable passenger seat. I should also note that the car still has the correct 914-6 steering wheel. These wheels are sought after by the 911 crowd to make a correct 911 RS wheel. They typically sell between $350 and $500 unrestored, and are very difficult to find. The part number is 914.347.803.10 and is dated 10/69.

The rear wheel bearings were just replace using new FAG bearings. The hubs and stub axles were converted to use the more commonly available 914-4 CV joints and axles. The 914-6 joints have been unavailable for some time. Both joints are the same size, but have a different axle spline count. The stub axles have been torqued to 225 ft lbs. The bearings were replaced because someone didn’t realize the stub axle has to be in and torqued to prevent the bearings form being damaged when the car is moved.

I guess that about covers it. I’ve taken pictures of all the areas I’d like to see if I was looking at a car in person. The life of a race car is not an easy one, but this one should be pretty easy to bring back to life. It’s not uncommon to see vintage racers where the vin plate is the only thing left of the original car. There is a lot of debate as to whether those cars are really worth the financial premium they command considering there isn’t much left of the original chassis.
Fortunately this car isn’t in that category.

With a little sweat equity, this car should make a lot of financial sense for whoever finishes it. While the chassis will need some work, it’s still considerably better than doing the extensive rust repair than so many 914’s need. Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer in a timely manner. I always suggest inspecting a car in person, but I know that’s not always possible, so I’ve taken lots of pictures. If you or a friend would like to inspect the car I’ll do my best to accommodate your schedule.

The car has a clean and clear title. I’ll be happy to work with a shipping company if the buyer makes the arrangements. I’ll also offer to transport the car for about $1 per loaded mile. That means $275 to Phoenix or LA, $500 to the Bay Area, etc. I hope that helps. Of course the car will have to be paid for in full prior to being loaded on a transport or me delivering it. A cashier’s check is probably the most common form of payment, but I’ll have to cash it before releasing the vehicle or title. I’ll be happy to take cash in person should that be preferable. I can give plenty of references of people I’ve both bought and sold high dollar items to.

My feedback and ultimately your satisfaction are very important to me, so please only bid if you are a serious buyer. I take my responsibilities seriously, please do the same.

If you are new to ebay, please contact me and I’ll do my best to walk you through it and explain the process. I do reserve the right to cancel any bids I feel may compromise the integrity of the auction, and to end the auction early should a
local sale occur.
Thanks, and good luck
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Jul 4 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #88

Oil Cooled heart

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 30 2010, 01:02 AM) *

You're probably aware of this website but just in case your not.....

Armando 914-6 GT website

The best 914-6 GT website on the net.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Without a doubt! Have emailed Armando about some details and parts, glad there are folks like him around.
Thanks, Wolfgang... really appreciate the sales link & photos. Looks exactly as I bought it.

Accumulating GT specific parts for now, will start the chassis mods and paint prep soon and post them to a build thread.
Here's the manual headlight accuators, purchased from a gentleman in Austria. He has a couple of sets if anyone is interested... PM me for his contact info.
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Jul 21 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #89

Oil Cooled heart

Recently bought a couple of cheap steering wheels, both with 914 part numbers. The hub extensions are different... which is correct for 914/6?
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756620.1.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756734.1.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756620.2.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756735.2.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756735.3.jpg)(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i860.photobucket.com-11875-1279756736.4.jpg)
The wheel currently on the car has the full horn covering, and is not pictured. As shown above one of these wheels came with the hockey puck.
I believe from the date, that wheel is also correct for 911RS. The leather cleaned up very nicely.

Thanks in advance...
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 21 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #90

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jul 22 2010, 12:54 AM) *

... one of these wheels came with the hockey puck.

wow - you're the lucky dog of the day !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dug
post Jan 22 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #91

Member No.: 7,382
Region Association: Northern California

Several have mentioned all the front end differences, but everyone leaves out the cross member. I have two complete 914-6 front ends. Both have front cross members that differ from 4 cylinder ones that I have. At the ends where the A-arm adjusters are inserted, the six parts are squared off, while the 4 cylinder parts are rounded. Sorry I don't have a photo.
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Feb 7 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 9,534

This may have been covered somewhere already. If so, sorry.

I am hunting for carpet for my 1970 6 (710). Have wanted to get as close to OEM as possible. One possibility (I thought) would have been OEM. For example, AA has a drivers OEM carpet, advertised as 914 914-6 factory new nos drivers carpet.

Knew I couldn't afford OEM (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), but thought I'd at least ask AA what they had that was their next best thing.

Their response.

The 1970 914-6 is unique re interior carpet. It came with PERLON felt, like the front and rear trunks. The LOOP carpet (as per their item advertised) was for 914s 1970-74, and 914-6s, 71 and 72.

Is there anybody out there with OEM carpet for a 1970 914-6.....I'm sure that AA is on, re facts, but very peculiar....

Is perlon less, or more, durable than loop (although I'll have to go with what is closest to factory....) I would have thought the first year 6 would get a product superior to the 4s...(sorry, 914 owners...just a reflection of sticker price on the car)

Thanks
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Apr 3 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(porbmw @ Feb 7 2011, 04:01 PM) *

This may have been covered somewhere already. If so, sorry.

I am hunting for carpet for my 1970 6 (710). Have wanted to get as close to OEM as possible. One possibility (I thought) would have been OEM. For example, AA has a drivers OEM carpet, advertised as 914 914-6 factory new nos drivers carpet.

Knew I couldn't afford OEM (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), but thought I'd at least ask AA what they had that was their next best thing.

Their response.

The 1970 914-6 is unique re interior carpet. It came with PERLON felt, like the front and rear trunks. The LOOP carpet (as per their item advertised) was for 914s 1970-74, and 914-6s, 71 and 72.

Is there anybody out there with OEM carpet for a 1970 914-6.....I'm sure that AA is on, re facts, but very peculiar....

Is perlon less, or more, durable than loop (although I'll have to go with what is closest to factory....) I would have thought the first year 6 would get a product superior to the 4s...(sorry, 914 owners...just a reflection of sticker price on the car)

Thanks

We are in the same boat, the guy who is doing most of the rest-o on our "six" says he can match the factory carpet.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 21 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #94

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(dug @ Jan 22 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Several have mentioned all the front end differences, but everyone leaves out the cross member. I have two complete 914-6 front ends. Both have front cross members that differ from 4 cylinder ones that I have. At the ends where the A-arm adjusters are inserted, the six parts are squared off, while the 4 cylinder parts are rounded. Sorry I don't have a photo.

I do! And the pictures are even of your crossmember. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
The adjusting screw is different (allen versus hex) and the torsion bar has the arrow embossed instead of stamped.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 22 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #95

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 21 2011, 03:31 PM) *
I do!

Well, at least the dirty looks the same on the /4 and the /6 ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JMKnight
post Nov 22 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #96

Aces & Eights

Member No.: 11,188
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2007, 04:40 PM) *

i'll start ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

- it should have a flat /6, 2.0L motor (doh!)
- firewall center engine mount
- no /4 mounts
- factory oil-tank
- different relay board
- "hook" for the oil-line on drivers side rear long
- 911 style ignition switch and column for '70/'71 models
- *no* hole in the front trunk for the /4 air hose to the spare tire
- black "tar" around the front upper shock towers
- different windshield washer bottle
- electric washer pump
- real 5-lug axles
- "914-6" badge
- handthrottle in front of the shifter
- different throttle cable routing, using a tranny mounted pivot
- different paint code on the karman badge
- different VIN, starting with "914" (doh! again)
- no rain-tray under engine lid.
- Dash top has no center vent

- "dogbone" pass. side footrest (did early /4s have those too?) - Yes
- different center console (did early /4s have those too?) - Yes

what else?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy

Rear valance has a hole in which the exaust pipe pokes through, rather than a slot like on the 4's!
+Quote Post
6freak
post Nov 22 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #97

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

rear bumpers?? i do believe...

wireing harness for the intire car.....color codes

and the 6 wheel base is actually wider then the 4 .....if memory serves its 3mm wider...cause of the brake hubs off the 911 ??????I THINK
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Nov 22 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #98

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Rear bumpers were different on very early cars (MY '70 and at least part of '71), but this was true of both the 4s and the 6s.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Nov 22 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #99

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 22 2011, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Rear bumpers were different on very early cars (MY '70 and at least part of '71), but this was true of both the 4s and the 6s.

RIGHT ON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

did the 4 s come with a red valet key??
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Nov 22 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(6freak @ Nov 22 2011, 09:17 AM) *

RIGHT ON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

did the 4 s come with a red valet key??

Yes
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:26 PM