Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread, The car is real scary to drive, clutch is broke in, im not!
iamchappy
post Oct 1 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #481

It all happens so fast!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am going to try and embed this slide show of my gauges behavior. i imposed the gauge faces so you can get an idea of the numbered markings.

[code]<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkoFgdHKcc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkoFgdHKcc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Oct 13 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #482

1975 914 3.0SC

Member No.: 3,523
Region Association: None

Your car sounds exactly like my brother's '76 911 with a 3.0SC in it with B&B headers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) that exhaust note when you start in 3rd is just flat out amazing! I love your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
-Chris
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 13 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #483

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

without going thru the thread (lazy) are you using the 901 box as you stated you intended to on the first page?!
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 13 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #484

It all happens so fast!

Yep, the 901 is still turning the wheels...
The clutch really slips running the boost at 14lbs, I will need a heavier pressure plate
if i want to run the boost 12lbs or over.

I hope to get into a stronger box next Spring.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 14 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #485

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

I wouldn't even bother with trying to get a better PP frankly... I will go back and see if you have upgraded to a clutch master and slave hyd setup, but I had a KEP hi-perf PP in my 901 a long time ago and I couldn't keep a clutch cable in one piece for any real length of time. I think I broke 3 in one year.

And the disk diam is so small it isn't going to hold 320 ft-lbs (a guess on 187 cubes at about 1 atm of boost) and 380 HP very well... it takes a lot of spring force in that PP to make that stick and it is better to just upgrade to a better trans and a larger clutch. I know V8 guys use those transaxles up to 350 ft-lbs (supposedly tho' I have see them broken by that level) and the big KEP PP but many of those cars blow off the radials easily and don't slip the KEP clutch because of that... but put some slicks or sticky tires and get it to hook up and the clutch will slip.

Just focus on getting a better transaxle for your setup and save the money on a beefy PP and turn the boost back over the next few months until you can upgrade, no reason to waste money on a PP you won't want in a few months IMO.

The stock geared 930 would work well with your 930-ish setup. The limit isn't whether you want to go 120, 140 or 180 but what rpm you want to be turning at 75mph on the interstate - the high gear may be good for 160 mph at your max rpm but irrelevant to fwy cruising. If you think of gearing for 120 or 140 even you will be turning big rpm at fwy speed.

edit - "Kennedy stage 2 clutch and pressure plate with starter ring" - you already have this one?! Not much more you can do to keep the clutch from slipping.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 14 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #486

It all happens so fast!

The beauty of the turbo is i can dial it back as i did today to 10.5lbs. the clutch will hold and i probably am still transmitting over 300 hp.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Oct 14 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #487

Member No.: 1,590

"am still transmitting over 300 hp."

I was wondering what that vibration was that I felt in ST Boni (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 14 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #488

It all happens so fast!

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Oct 14 2008, 03:59 PM) *

"am still transmitting over 300 hp."

I was wondering what that vibration was that I felt in ST Boni (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

I hope it was the Alien . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif)
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Oct 14 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #489

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Chappy that thing sounds meaner than hell. I am SOOOooo Jealous!. Awsome ride dude!

Josh
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 21 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #490

It all happens so fast!

Temps are decreasing around here and it will be time soon to put the HE's back on.
This will be a good time to drop the engine adjust the valves, retorque the headstuds and see if i can shore up the area it has been leaking oil.

I will inspect the clutch for glazing from it's slipping, and may opt for the stage 3 pressure plate for the time being. I hope to still drive my car until it snows, the Dot R tires are off and the all season ContiExtremeContacts on.

I had a chance to shoot some pictures of the car rolled out on the lawn last month and posted them here.

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchapman1/PhotoAlbum26.html
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 21 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #491

It all happens so fast!

I talked to Kennedy today about my pressure plate and clutch, I am going to send it back to them for testing, they think they can make some adjustments to the pressure plate and make the change to a different clutch to make it hold without going to a Stage 3 setup.
+Quote Post
jc914
post Oct 23 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #492

Member No.: 9,548
Region Association: South East States

I just finished looking at the entire post. I LOVE your 914. Great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) . Your workmanship is excellent WOW. Maybe one day mine will be like yours.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 23 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #493

It all happens so fast!

Thanks, I still have a few minor things to workout still with the clutch and oil leaks.

Just yesterday i noticed that i had my seats in wrong and had to swap my driver and passenger seat.

It has been great getting to the end of this project and enjoying the car the past few months, i will miss driving it when the snow flies, were expecting some this Sunday.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 23 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #494

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) SNOW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I hate effin snow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I was hoping to take one more run down to the metro and meet up with everyone before the big sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Lets hope spring comes early. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 23 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #495

It all happens so fast!

There is still hope it wont stick. But remember Halloween 92 when we got the major storm. Instant winter.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 23 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #496

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 23 2008, 02:32 PM) *

There is still hope it wont stick. But remember Halloween 92 when we got the major storm. Instant winter.

Sandy and I were just talking about that. Bringing the kids trick or treating in the Samurai. Wading through deep snow drifts to get to the houses. What a nightmare! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Ya, I was thinking maybe next weekend. Then snow won't stick. If I can get my injection sorted and oil leaks fixed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 23 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #497

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Wow!

I'm glad you have it running now. I've only been on here infrequently as I'm still in the process of moving. (only about a month before we get our house).
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post May 29 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #498

It all happens so fast!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I finally got the car back together since i tore it apart last Fall. The engine builder
would not stand behind his work and fix the oil leaks this time around unless i paid him again, fat chance that was going to happen. I was going to hold out and wait for more car fund money and ship the engine out to California for Henry Schmidt to fix. Henry was going to give me a screaming deal to rebuild it again from the ground up but at this time i just cant afford to to that.

So i decided to fix it myself...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I pulled everything off with out pulling it apart. Hosed it down good with brake cleaner and when i was ready to re-torque everything back together i sprayed the engine down with Acetone. The Acetone rinsed anything oily left hidden out, and is thin enough to get into the slightest clearances. It also re-goo-afied the Curil T that was used as a sealant when it was built. I torqued everything and adjusted the valves.
I drove it yesterday for about a half an hour and Ollie and i just got back from a nice long drive and i can say my car is leak free atleast for now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The engine leaked all the time before even idling, so this is a huge victory for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I am going to drive the crap out of the car now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and start to really really enjoy it.
Time to celebrate - cheers- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
Oh ya, the car made me look like this on a freeway on ramp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post May 29 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #499

Member No.: 3,795

You rock.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post May 29 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #500

It all happens so fast!

Paul I pulled the upper valve cover off this morning and retorqued the one Headstud that i told you about that i had a hard time getting a clean torque on when i had the engine apart. Well that seemed to do the trick.
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:35 PM