Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

36 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing out the dead
Jeff Hail
post Nov 11 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,712

Already ordered some tubing from McMaster-Carr.......................

Lets make a couple of clutch tube brackets. Take some measurements.
Cut out some burly 16 gauge steel. Drill the hole and form the bracket.

Instead of 3 mounting point's I will have 4 (front, middle and rear, plus the firewall. It will never break loose.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Nov 11 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #102

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

Jeff, I have been reading your thread as you go along and I only have one question. Can I have your car when you are done??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 11 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #103

A little work on the tunnel also.

Made a template from paper and transferred to metal for the driver side rear.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 11 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #104

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Nov 11 2007, 09:05 PM) *

Jeff, I have been reading your thread as you go along and I only have one question. Can I have your car when you are done??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

No!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Nov 12 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #105

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Subscribed -I love metalwork threads
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Nov 12 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #106

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Absolutley incredible Jeff... you have the talent I only wish I could have.

Very nice INDEED !

+Quote Post
flippa
post Nov 12 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #107

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

Jeff, you are the man!!!!!

I am just beginning my project. Thanks for taking the time to post all this great work. You don't even know how helpful this has been and how much time & aggravation you are saving me.

Keep the great work & education coming.

Thanks

+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Nov 12 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #108

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037

Jeff,

Have you ever used Picklex-20 before?
If you have what's your opinion of it?

The reason I'm asking is, when repairing several small areas on one or more panels rather than mixing up a small amount of epoxy primer and spraying the bare metal a spot at a time you could use this to protect the metal until you have a large enough area to mix up one batch of epoxy primer to cover all the small areas.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 12 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #109

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Nov 12 2007, 05:06 PM) *

Jeff,

Have you ever used Picklex-20 before?
If you have what's your opinion of it?

The reason I'm asking is, when repairing several small areas on one or more panels rather than mixing up a small amount of epoxy primer and spraying the bare metal a spot at a time you could use this to protect the metal until you have a large enough area to mix up one batch of epoxy primer to cover all the small areas.

Never used the product. I do not think the tradename actually refers to Pickling though.

Pickling is a process used to remove mill scale during the manufacturing.
Mechanical removal and then a solution called Pickel liquor which is usually hydrochloric acid or nitric acid. Different types of steel (carbon, stainless etc) use different process's and chemicals.

I do not like mixing small quanities of epoxy primer either. The primer and activator are expensive. It takes me longer to clean the spray gun than it does to apply. If I have to mix up some EP I try to find other things that need priming too like the dog, the neighbors kid (kidding). I will use EP on anything I take down to bare steel. It has better adhesion qualities than surfacers do. Super sticky and holds up better than standard catalyzed primers. Everyone has an opinion as to what is best. EP works for me.

Actually if I have a small spot I will use some etching primer if it's temporary. I will sometimes let bare metal sit knowing I will be back in a day or a few to finish the area. If it is going to be a long period I will try to throw some cheap primer on even if it means sanding it down at a later time.
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Nov 12 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #110

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037

I was watching an episode of Trucks (Spike TV) this weekend and they mentioned it as a way to seal the bare metal to prevent flash rust. First time I had heard of it.
I have done a few searches on a couple forums and really haven't read anything negative. The people who have used it commented that it works.

I might give it a try when I start doing body work on my teener.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 17 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #111

Still waiting on tube for the tunnel. I hate waiting on parts!

Did some finish work in the trunk. Welded up some pin holes from the floor replacement. 100 pounds of StarBlast just sitting, might as well strip some paint!
Media blasted the rear trunk, removed some scale at the taillight pockets and wheelhouses. A little feather edging. Now it's about 6 o'clock and the sun is down.

A little fog is coming in tonight. Moisture and cold air is not what I need right now. The media blasting removed the zinc coating on the new rear floor. I need to get a coating on this now.

Epoxy primed the rear compartment in the dark with a couple of floodlights so I can see. Finished the primer and the temperature dropped to about 58 degree's. Epoxy Primer won’t kick if it's to cold.

With two heat lamps I created the "Worlds Largest Easy Bake Oven". It's a toasty 85 degree's inside the trunk. Enough to cure the Epoxy primer.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 20 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #112

A little more on corrosion protection and applicators.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78326

In case anyone wonders I am not a salesman for Wurth Products. I use them because they are superior to most of what I have found available on the market today. Start with the best and the finished product will speak for itself.
+Quote Post
Twise
post Nov 20 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 19 2007, 10:11 PM) *

A little more on corrosion protection and applicators.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78326

In case anyone wonders I am not a salesman for Wurth Products. I use them because they are superior to most of what I have found available on the market today. Start with the best and the finished product will speak for itself.

I second that...
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 24 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #114

Sprayed the Wurth Seam Sealer in the trunk. Finally looks like a trunk again.
This will all get get covered in color later.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 24 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #115

Did some more access work for the right rear long replacement. This piece is a bitch to install the entire part. Would be easier to section it behind the suspension console. The high road taken.

I had to cut a window at the trunk bulkhead. No way to get the whole piece in without the cut because it installs from below. I also media blasted the wheelhouse
and bulkhead joint. This area is really tight to weld in so better it as "clean" as I can get it.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 24 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #116

As you can see the rear long junction at the bulkhead is really confined behind the first wall. It was gas welded at the factory behind the first bulkhead wall. No access for factory resistance welding. This is a significant connection so I want full access to weld all 3 sides. I used a worn cut off disc to get access ( 2 inches of disc) for the vertical cut.

The last pic is before the prep work (ugly)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 24 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #117

Applied some Metal Ready for conversion coating. This way once I install the rear long it will have some corrosion resistance inside the panel. These will get cavity waxed at completion after epoxy primer.

I am going to section the lower wheelhouse. You can tell from the battery tray area down the rust has perforated the panel just behind the firewall. This was planned so when I install the inner rear long I will not weld it to the wheelhouse.
Not even the media blasting would remove the rust. Pitted badly.

I do not want to cut both the wheelhouse and inner long at the same time because the entire right 1/4 of the car is supported right now. I will join the rear inner long to the mid long and weld at the trunk bulhead. This way I have still retain full support during structural repairs.

Once I cut the wheelhouse section I can coat the entire inner long from the wheelwell side with epoxy primer (except the flanges) and it will have superior protection.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Nov 24 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #118

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Jeff,
Rumor has it that you did all of the above work while cooking a turkey, watching a football game, solving a Rubics cube, winning 3 games of online poker and solved the Aids crisis in Rhodesia.

How the hell do you do that....???????? LOL....

Jeff, This is simply great stuff that you are doing. Like many others. I am in awe of what you do.

By the way... Joe Sharp is having a couple of get togethers in Huntington Beach on the first and the seventh of December. Ya wanna come down and meet the 914 peeps...?????

You would be a most welcome guest. And I am bringing enough coffee for both of us..... And a backup pack of smokes....

By the way.... Ya know anyone that has a spare set of 15 X6 Fuchs for cheap??? (not deep ones)
I need them to swap for a set of 7s and 8s.

Cheers and keep it going bro.. This is so much fun to see this work in progress.

If ya need me up there to help ya... Just PM me. I'm down to help if needed.

Clayton
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 24 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #119

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 24 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Jeff,
Rumor has it that you did all of the above work while cooking a turkey, watching a football game, solving a Rubics cube, winning 3 games of online poker and solved the Aids crisis in Rhodesia.

How the hell do you do that....???????? LOL....

Jeff, This is simply great stuff that you are doing. Like many others. I am in awe of what you do.

By the way... Joe Sharp is having a couple of get togethers in Huntington Beach on the first and the seventh of December. Ya wanna come down and meet the 914 peeps...?????

You would be a most welcome guest. And I am bringing enough coffee for both of us..... And a backup pack of smokes....

By the way.... Ya know anyone that has a spare set of 15 X6 Fuchs for cheap??? (not deep ones)
I need them to swap for a set of 7s and 8s.

Cheers and keep it going bro.. This is so much fun to see this work in progress.

If ya need me up there to help ya... Just PM me. I'm down to help if needed.

Clayton

Well the turkey has metal shaving's in it. Good source of iron though!
The Rubiks Cube wasn't a challenge and I used it as a decoration in my fish tank years ago. Football? Nope....I like sports that use a stick. My best friends son was just voted National Rookie of the Year in baseball. Proud pappa! No gambling except for an occassional lottery ticket. Porsche's cost money you know? Hunger is cured with coffee, lots of strong black coffee.

I have only been working on the car on the weekends. 10 hours or so a week. I want summer back.

Won't be able to make the 1st or the 7th. Thanks for the invite.

Wheels? I need a set of Rota's in 7 and 9 for my car. Something tells me I am going wih glass 1/4 panels so rear 10's might be in the lineup. If I can make my buddy part with an original set of RSR 9's and 11's I might shoehorn them in.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 24 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #120

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jeff, I have been reading your thread as you go along and I only have one question. Can I have your car when you are done???

No!

How about me? Can I have it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

36 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 02:00 PM