Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP!, Splitting the crankcase
dbgriffith75
post Mar 16 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #1

TheGrif

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So it's like this-

I'm splitting the crankcase on my '75 2.0, and for about the past 4 hours I haven't been able to figure out what the crap I'm doing wrong. I'm almost 100% positive that I've loosened every single nut and bolt that's holding it together. I've double checked my Haynes manual a few times, but from the start of this project it's pretty well been useless and isn't offering me any extra help. I've even been switching back and forth between the garage and 914world.com re-reading and re-checking posts that I've read on here about splitting the case. And from what I've gathered there's one bastard nut or bolt that's keeping me from doing it; but it's possible I'm wrong in another area.

So here's my question: assuming that I have loosened every fastener necessary, do the 6 main bolts running through the case actually have to be removed before the case will split? Don't get me wrong, I've taken the nuts off of them, but I've left the bolts in because I'm sure they're what's holding the main bearings in place, and I don't want to remove them for fear of losing track of the positions of the main bearings.

A lot of the older posts mention bolts that are hiding under dirt and crud in deeper crevices of the case, but I've scraped them all clean and haven't found a single hiding bolt or nut. The only one I found that came close was the bolt that runs through the case to hold the oil sump in place; and the oil sump is loose now so I know that's not the one.

If it is a bolt or nut I'm missing, can anybody give me an idea of where to look for it?

Thanks for the help.
-Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Mar 16 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #2

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you haven't seen this thread this one should help you out. Shows all the nuts and bolts to be removed from the case before splitting.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50873
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 16 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

That thread's a good'un! The nut behind the flywheel is very easy to miss, as is the one that holds the oil pickup in.

--DD
+Quote Post
Van
post Mar 17 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,571

A tip from Jake's video: leave the fan hub on the crank and use it as the fulcrum for a screwdriver (or prybar) piercing the front oil seal. This way, you distroy the oil seal, but protect the machined surfaces of the cases as you start to pry them apart.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 10:29 AM