Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
So it's like this-

I'm splitting the crankcase on my '75 2.0, and for about the past 4 hours I haven't been able to figure out what the crap I'm doing wrong. I'm almost 100% positive that I've loosened every single nut and bolt that's holding it together. I've double checked my Haynes manual a few times, but from the start of this project it's pretty well been useless and isn't offering me any extra help. I've even been switching back and forth between the garage and 914world.com re-reading and re-checking posts that I've read on here about splitting the case. And from what I've gathered there's one bastard nut or bolt that's keeping me from doing it; but it's possible I'm wrong in another area.

So here's my question: assuming that I have loosened every fastener necessary, do the 6 main bolts running through the case actually have to be removed before the case will split? Don't get me wrong, I've taken the nuts off of them, but I've left the bolts in because I'm sure they're what's holding the main bearings in place, and I don't want to remove them for fear of losing track of the positions of the main bearings.

A lot of the older posts mention bolts that are hiding under dirt and crud in deeper crevices of the case, but I've scraped them all clean and haven't found a single hiding bolt or nut. The only one I found that came close was the bolt that runs through the case to hold the oil sump in place; and the oil sump is loose now so I know that's not the one.

If it is a bolt or nut I'm missing, can anybody give me an idea of where to look for it?

Thanks for the help.
-Brian
StratPlayer
If you haven't seen this thread this one should help you out. Shows all the nuts and bolts to be removed from the case before splitting.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50873
Dave_Darling
That thread's a good'un! The nut behind the flywheel is very easy to miss, as is the one that holds the oil pickup in.

--DD
Van
A tip from Jake's video: leave the fan hub on the crank and use it as the fulcrum for a screwdriver (or prybar) piercing the front oil seal. This way, you distroy the oil seal, but protect the machined surfaces of the cases as you start to pry them apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.