Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3D914s 914-6 SHO 3.2L v6, Build Thread - Project for sale. See classifieds
tygaboy
post Nov 13 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #501

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

DUDE! Looks like your careful planning and patience is paying off. Fit is looking really nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 21 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #502

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Got a little more done on the right panel this weekend. Weekend went kind of crappy, so didn't get all I wanted done. Decided to take Monday off to make up for it. Glad I did.

Welding on the panel went well. Just combined multiple spot welds at alternating positions and used compressed air to keep things from getting too hot. I'll save the grinding with a 80 grit flap disk for during the weekday evenings.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Picked up my cut mounting brackets for the trunk hinges. Started working on the flanges already and will finish the others once I get the circular flange tool in this week.

Attached Image

Also had time to start cutting the air box out of the 1/8 inch ABS sheets I found online. I was concerned about the amount of heat this may take in the back of the trunk above where the muffler sits, but I'll be retaining the stock heat shield and will also have this mounted a couple inches up off the trunk floor. We'll see how it goes. I may need to rebuild later from slightly heavier material.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 24 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #503

Had to move part of the work indoors because the garage is getting too cold to work with this plastic. The glue I'm using also requires warmer temps. Next time though I think I'll try a plastic welder over the glue, or find glue in a better dispenser so it can be applied cleaner.

Now I just need to add the rubber seal that goes along the top edge & mates with the underside of the trunk lid.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 27 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #504

Didn't work on the 914 over Thanksgiving weekend. Promised my wife I'd get the flagstone laid out for the patio and work on setting her step stones. I did get the flagstone laid out and numbered - and fortunately I won't have to do much chipping/cutting for fit. Now I'll have to pull it up to put the aggregate down to set the stones in.

Had just enough daylight left today to get six of her 18 step stones set in mortor.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 2 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #505

Since I'm up here posting end-of-month for challenge, figured I'd post update pics for the trunk hinge mounting brackets. Picked up a 1.5" flange die and used it to get the angled flange I was after.

Also have some work to do on my daughters car that threw a rod. That may wait till next weekend when she has some time off. Ohh, the fun never ends!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 4 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #506

Spent part of Friday getting my daughters car ready for a transplant. Here's the car & the new (used) motor.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 4 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #507

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Good car!
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 4 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #508

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 4 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Good car!

Andy, the MR2? What's your experience with them? This is our first.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 16 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #509

Well it looks like I won't be getting the 914 painted as soon as I had hoped. With the motor to swap on my daughters MR2 and a bearing replacement to do on my son's 996, I spent my painting money on a single-post lift. I've done enough repair work under cars on my back - figured it was time to upgrade.

This is the Eagle single-post lift rated at 6000lbs. So I'll likely be busy getting this together over the weekend.

Attached Image

My wife and I already spent the most of the day unloading the beast. Here's all the packing material: a metal support frame, encased in a wooden crate. And my make-shift ramp I build from some of the crate material - so we could roll pieces off the trailer.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 17 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #510

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Cool lift. Enjoy that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 17 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #511

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You will never regret that investment. I've had mine for about 1 yr and wonder why I'd waited so long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 18 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #512

Thanks guys. As of around 2:30 this afternoon, I now have a working lift in my garage. What a relief. First car to go on will be the daughters MR2 - so we can get the motor pulled next weekend.

The fun continues . . .

Attached Image

+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 13 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #513

OK, first of the year is over, got caught up on all vehicle maintenance, now I can get back on the teener.

Spent this last weekend on the soda blasting. I've decided the larger outer panels will get paint removed with flapper discs. But the trunks, engine bay, etc, will get soda blasted. It's ideal for all those irregular shapes, little corners, etc.

Before I could do any blasting I had to build a ramp that I could roll the rotisserie out on. Gravel just doesn't cut it. Had lots of scrap left from the car lift crate so it's not going to waste.
Attached Image

The blasting progressed a little slow until I got things dialed in properly. Had Friday afternoon to work on that. Love the look of the clean metal. Using a tarp under the car and plastic sheets surrounding the work area I was able to reuse almost 75% of the material.

Attached Image

Then was able to spend most of Saturday working on the engine bay and under the trunk. Cleanup after soda blasting is a big job, but it's well worth the time saved. Sunday started to get humid and rained in the afternoon, so didn't get much done then.

Attached Image

Decided to remove the muffler heat shield. I wanted to drill the welds from inside the trunk but was unable to locate them accurately. Decided to do them from the shield side. I've got nuts I'll weld to little stop plates that will go behind the drilled mounting brackets. They get flood welded then a single hole drilled for a hex bolt.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 14 2017, 08:10 AM
Post #514

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Very nice to see clean metal.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 15 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #515

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 14 2017, 07:10 AM) *

Very nice to see clean metal.

I agree. Almost tempted to leave it that way.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 19 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #516

Nothing worth photos today. Just paint removal on the muffler heat shield and cutting metal backing pieces to reinforce the mounting points for the heat shield. Was cloudy and humid all weekend so had to put soda blasting off till next weekend.
+Quote Post
john77
post Feb 19 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #517

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

Nice work with the soda blasting. I need to do my front trunk and after stripping the engine bay on another car with aircraft paint remover/flap disk/wire wheel on a drill/will this never end/please make it stop I was thinking blasting might be the way to go. What set up do you use?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 22 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #518

QUOTE(john77 @ Feb 19 2017, 05:04 PM) *

Nice work with the soda blasting. I need to do my front trunk and after stripping the engine bay on another car with aircraft paint remover/flap disk/wire wheel on a drill/will this never end/please make it stop I was thinking blasting might be the way to go. What set up do you use?

John, Harbor Freight 40 lb media blaster with Soda conversion kit. THe XL soda media I was using required that I remove the nozzle built into the soda kit fittings that replace the std fittings that come with the blaster. Look at the instructions for the soda kit and you'll see an exploded view showing the nozzle. It may work well for fine media, but didn't with what I was using.

If you want to use other non-soda media, be sure to get a fine grade, not course. I tried coarse walnut shells but couldn't get it tp work with the limited nozzles provided with the blaster.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 26 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #519

Had another 3-day weekend so spent Friday & Saturday blasting. This is tedious work - especially in the engine bay. Put my sanding booth together hoping that would make it easier to move around and still collect the media so I could reuse it. Worked OK, but not great.

Attached Image

I kept the opposite side covered in plastic also to help contain the media. That and the booth weren't air tight but I was still able to collect about 50% of the media. I've only been able to get one reuse out of it because it starts to break down into finer particles and just blows away when collecting it.

Attached Image

The other factor is keeping dust off the hoods plastic lens. It collects soda dust after 5-10 min and makes it hard to see. I keep missing little patches that will have to be cleaned up later. Gettin a little frustrated, but still making progress. Probably have a couple more days just to finish off the engine bay and rear section of the trunk - then I can primer.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 26 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #520

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

That is looking really nice, can't wait to see it in paint.
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:57 PM