Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Cleanup & Detailing Thread
jonferns
post Mar 16 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Ok, weather is finally nice enough to drive! Gas tank area is detailed (no pics), new SS fuel lines and german hose under the tank, tank cleaned and reinstalled. It runs great!

I has never messed with the headlights so I decided I would tackle that today. Popped them open and disconnected the battery, lots of crud inside the buckets but since this car hasn't seen much water in its life, theres no rust. The plastic headlight surrounds came out looking like new after I scrubbed them with purple degreaser and a brush, same goes for the headlight chrome ring.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Oh, not sure if anyone remembers but a few years back I had started a thread about how a PO had painted the bumper while it was on the car and they got black spray paint all over the yellow paint underneath. Well, I was finally able to get that off. Dare I say, I used paint stripper very carefully and it took some time but it looks great! Here's a pic from that old thread, shows the unpainted bumper and the black paint. Also, im still tempted to install fogs on this car, that one in the pic is just there for show.

Attached Image
Attached Image

And I also painted the rockers, valances and front bumper. I'll get a pic once I take it out of the garage.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 16 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #82

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 16 2010, 06:25 AM) *

Ok, weather is finally nice enough to drive! Gas tank area is detailed (no pics), new SS fuel lines and german hose under the tank, tank cleaned and reinstalled. It runs great!

I has never messed with the headlights so I decided I would tackle that today. Popped them open and disconnected the battery, lots of crud inside the buckets but since this car hasn't seen much water in its life, theres no rust. The plastic headlight surrounds came out looking like new after I scrubbed them with purple degreaser and a brush, same goes for the headlight chrome ring.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Oh, not sure if anyone remembers but a few years back I had started a thread about how a PO had painted the bumper while it was on the car and they got black spray paint all over the yellow paint underneath. Well, I was finally able to get that off. Dare I say, I used paint stripper very carefully and it took some time but it looks great! Here's a pic from that old thread, shows the unpainted bumper and the black paint. Also, im still tempted to install fogs on this car, that one in the pic is just there for show.

Attached Image
Attached Image

And I also painted the rockers, valances and front bumper. I'll get a pic once I take it out of the garage.

Jon - you are a stalwart! Nice jobs, really well done. I seriously think that you are the next gen for original 914's. Two years ago I figured you'd never stay with it. You have made me happily wrong. You ARE the next gen dude. Proud to know you! Keep it going.
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 16 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Thanks so much Pat! It's because of you and a few others that have encouraged me and offered great advice that has helped me with my car. Only question is, what's next?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 17 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #84

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 16 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Thanks so much Pat! It's because of you and a few others that have encouraged me and offered great advice that has helped me with my car. Only question is, what's next?

Well, keeping these things alive never end. After a point, it isn't mechanical, or even cosmetic things that begin to fail.

No matter how much time and goo you spend keeping your rubber pieces supple, the eventually succomb to ozone.

Just last summer, I had to replace the boots for my turn signal/side marker boots - and what a bitch that was. A week later, while working in the engine compartment, I nudges an injector boot - turned to dust, as did all 4! I know the boot for the alternator has to be gone. I know the snubber for the fuel pump has to be hard as a rock.

Yeah, I'll get them soon, but it just shows you that rubber has a limited life, no matter how you care for it.

So, yeah, you'll find more to do - FOREVER!

But, we sorta like it that way don't we. Else it wouldn't be fun!
Pat

But Glycerin, in any form & use it.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 18 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Very nice detailing Jon. Hope you enter it in some events this year.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 23 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Well, I put about 50 or so miles on the 914 last week. The weather was great, and had to take advantage of it! Had a few customers ask me if it was for sale when I had it parked at my job (for those of you who don't know, I work at an aircooled VW garage), but of course I said no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Didn't do much as far as cleanup, but I did get the rockers and valances on with fresh hardware, the proper spacers, and Tod's rivets. Bumpers went on with stainless hardware, and a newer bumper pad for the front. Also, took care of the only rust on the car; a bit of surface rust in the trunk. I first treated it with a prep & etch acid that we use at work for rust, then it was cleaned and a few good coats of rust bullet, my preffered rust inhibitor. This winter the motor will be coming out for detail, and I will detail the engine bay, which will need some paint touchup (with a mini-gun) so i'll paint the trunk at that time too.

(my trunk is a mess compared to the rest of the car)
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 14 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Hey guys, its been awhile. We're in the middle of a move so the 914 hasn't gotten much attention. Plan on getting it up on the lift at work this weekend, doing oil change and adjusting valves, and doing some cleanup underneath; I would do a full belly detail, but the guys I work with would think im a nut.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jun 16 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Very nice Jonathan. P.S. they don't judge undercarriages at PCA events; at least in this chapther. Keep me posted of events. Will definetly do the Hippyfest, Aircooled gathering, and the New Hope show.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 16 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Hey Tod, I'll also be doing the AACG in September.

On July 11th theres a show & shine at Foreign Car Werks in Bound Brook, NJ. I'll probably be heading over there with the usual VW suspects from my job.

Doesn't look like i'll be around for the Hippy Shop show, ill be in Portugal. Let me know about the July show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:28 AM