Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> turbo install, For the 3.0
Sammy
post Jan 27 2004, 03:24 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 178

All Porsche 930 turbos from 1976 thru the later part of the 80s had CIS injection and it works very well with boost.
Up to at least 5 psi a stock N/A CIS system compensates for boost with no other modifications needed. It is after all an air flow sensored system that adjusts for air density and temperature by design. The stock CIS injection on a 3.0 is said to be capable of supporting well over 300 hp.
The reason for the extra injector is not so much to prevent a lean out but more to provide "extra" fuel as a safeguard and to aid in cooling. I could dial the CIS so that it would maintain at least 13 to one at 7# boost, but with a compression ratio of over 9 to one and the crap they call pump gas now days I would feel better having it down around 12 to one while under boost. I know that's a little too rich but it is also safer for the motor.

IMO a DIY fuel injection "kit" is much, much more prone to an OOPS than CIS with an extra injector.

Same goes for aftermarket fuel injection systems. They work great after they are dialed in and the bugs are out, onlyest problem is those bugs can fry an engine before they are sorted out.

To me the CIS route makes much more sense. It's been done many thousands of times with turbocharging.

When the same thing can be said about megasquirt I'll buy it.
I know of two people who have installed megasquirt on a Porsche and have it dialed in. Sure there are more but I only know of two. Neither of the cars are turbocharged.

This megasquirt thing is all fine and dandy but it seems like there are way more people talking about it but very few doing it. I'm a little sceptical. I also don't have time to go around re-inventing the wheel. If I have something that doesn't work I look for a better solution. If I have something that works very good I look for something else to worry about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 27 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #42

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Up late, Sammy?
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Jan 28 2004, 01:50 AM
Post #43

Hya JP. Yup, working 5 pm to 7 am 7 days a week. Sux major.
Goofy set in last week, I'm working on zombie mode now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 12 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #44

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I will be receiving my bae turbo kit this week and have been putting together parts needed for the install, I will install the an enrichment injector and pressure switch at this time, I'd rather be safe than sorry even if I dont plan on boosting it any higher than 8lbs, knowing me that idea wont last long.
The kit comes complete even has the original instructions. I purchased a msd btm boost retard ignition to replace my msd 6a. I felt the built in rev limiter and the retard control were worth the investment. It will be interesting to see how it will all fit into the 914, what will be useable and what I will have to fabricate. The use of silicone hoses and elbows will make the plumbing easier, I will use pvc plumbing pipe and fittings for the mockup when all seems to fit I will replicate and fabricate in aluminum or steel or with silicone hose and couplings.
I am very excited in starting this project wish me luck. The paint job will have to wait.
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Feb 12 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #45

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 110

TURBO
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 12 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #46

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Sammy @ Jan 27 2004, 01:24 AM)
When the same thing can be said about megasquirt I'll buy it.
I know of two people who have installed megasquirt on a Porsche and have it dialed in. Sure there are more but I only know of two. Neither of the cars are turbocharged.

This megasquirt thing is all fine and dandy but it seems like there are way more people talking about it but very few doing it. I'm a little sceptical. I also don't have time to go around re-inventing the wheel. If I have something that doesn't work I look for a better solution. If I have something that works very good I look for something else to worry about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Join the megasquirt list on Yahoo!. I agree that there are only a couple of porsche's running it, but there are A LOT of other cars running it, and a LOT of other turbo mods, on all kinds of crap from pintos to motorbike engines running in bonneville contenders. There is a huge body of knowledge on it at this stage, it may not be porsche specific, but for that you can talk to the 914 board, rennlist, and pelican.

As for dialling in FI systems, I don't advocate trying to get a turbo running AT ALL without a wideband O2 sensor that is calibrated and working. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have a quantitative AFR measurement, you ain't got nuthin'.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 3 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #47

It all happens so fast!

Turbo update, Intake is roughed in as you will see in the pictures, the crossover pipe with the turbo flange and wastegate is being fabricated and I'm waiting on the turbo rebuild. I have a Tilton electric oil pump to drain the oil from the turbo as I couldnt mount it high enough for a natural drain that was the only problem that Ive encountered so far, everything else has fallen into place. After I get it all plumbed together I will post the complete process of how to do it. I will be using a Tial wastegate,and bov, A turbo X boost controller, a 3lb pressure switch to activate a 911 SC cold start valve mounted just below the throttle body for enrichment, and will use a MSD boost retard ignition system.
I dont plan on boosting much higher than 8lbs to start with because the 901 and clutch will be at there limit at 300hp.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 3 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #48

It all happens so fast!

914 6 3.0 turbo

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 3 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #49

It all happens so fast!

914 6 3.0 turbo

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Mar 3 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #50

I was wunderin about using a BOV on CIS. Seems to me that you will be relieving pressurized air to atmosphere, after that air has been metered by the air flow metering thingy.

Do you think that will make it go rich when the BOV opens?
The CIS would be thinking that air is going in the engine and adding fuel to compensate when in reality the air isn't going in the engine.

Any thots? Heck it might be an easy way to fuel enrichment, set the wastegate to 15, set the BOV to 8 and let the metering take care of adding extra fuel under boost.
I'm just kidding of course. That would be a waste of energy using exhaust gas pressure to compress air and then send it off to never never land, but it does make the gears start spinnin.................
+Quote Post
fiid
post Mar 3 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #51

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

looks like a nice install!

If CIS does the air metering thing then I think a blowoff would cause it to go rich for a brief moment, however - the blowoff should only release gas when you let the throttle close (to brake or change gear). I don't know if that very brief richness would cause the engine to stutter or not. Would be an interesting experiment.

Turbos rock.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 3 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #52

It all happens so fast!

I am thinking of installing the pressure switch below the throttle body in the lower air box that way when it's off throttle the fuel enrichment will stop. and by mounting the CSV below the throttle plate I wont be venting fuel all over the place when the bov opens. I will start slow like 5lbs or 6lbs and see how it all works and slowly build pressure if all is well. I have 2 air fuel ratio meters that will help in tuning it.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 3 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #53

It all happens so fast!

Oh I see what your question is, hopefully when the bov lets go off throttle, the pressure will drop the cis metering plate, otherwise maybe it does go rich I will have to ask others how it has effected there air fuel ratio.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #54

It all happens so fast!

I'm back to show you some progress being made on the install. Everything but the cross over pipe and muffler is done. MSD BTM boost retard ignition, fuel enrichment injector, Tilton oil pump to drain the turbo, Hobbs n.o. pressure switch set at 4lbs. to fire the enrichment injector, a Tial bov, A Turbo X boost controller, and a 38mm Tial wastegate. I am using a Flowmaster 3" in 3" out series 50 delta flow muffler as I wished to keep the noise down abit, and a freshly rebuilt Rayjay TO4B turbocharger from the Bae kit. All thats left of the Bae kit that I started out with are, the silicone intake bonnets, the piping and turbocharger.
The crossover pipe fabricator was out sick this last week so I will have to wait till next week to tell you about the test drive.
Here come the pictures.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #55

It all happens so fast!

Did some brake work during the down time

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #56

It all happens so fast!

front brake

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #57

It all happens so fast!

rear brake

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #58

It all happens so fast!

cockpit

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #59

It all happens so fast!

controls/gauges

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 16 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #60

It all happens so fast!

Tilton oil pump for turbo drain, being pumped back to the top of the oil breather.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:45 PM