Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More V-8 conversion questions
computers4kids
post Jun 6 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

Its getting closer, but still have a few more questions: Here is the progress thread.

I would like to mount the throttle coming up the firewall (renegade suggestion). Can someone post any pics if they did it that way? I bought a bracket that Scott said would fit my Chevy 305 eldebrock torquer manifold but the holes aren't quite wide enough and I'm doubting if it will work even if I modify it.

Time to lengthen the sideshift rod....my oil pan is not the typical stock one. It appears it may be too wide for just the typical 1 1/4 length addition. Cable shifters seem pretty pricey..$600?, looking at options.

Brakes: I have read so much on brakes my eyes are are tired. I have removed the proportional valve and replaced with a T. I still have stock, but all new rotors all the way around. I'm looking at adding some BMW calipers with a 19mm MC, but after reading Lampuwali's brake thread (whom I highly respect) makes me question whether it's worth it...doesn't sound like it.

Front Bumper and Grill. I have an nice, early bumper that needs to be cut for the radiator air. I was thinking about going to the wrecking yard and looking for a engine grill that I could mod to install on the backside of the bumper. Any tips or tricks? How did you cut your "chrome" bumper hole? Does it mess-up the chrome trying to cut it?
Thanks
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1212678171.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1212678005.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 6 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As far as the brakes go I would install a complete carrera front end (but it will cost ya)

As far as cutting the bumper goes:
1)Tape the line you want to cut and mask the hell out of the area around it (this way if your cut-off wheel slips you won't nick your bumper)
2) Take a hole saw and cut out the corners for that rounded look (go slow!)
3) Cut out your opening with a cut-off wheel (go slow and don't build up to much heat)
4) remove masking tape and finish with some knock-on if desired.
Heres mine.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Jun 6 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

For openings - I've seen big openings and smaller openings. I think it partly depends on how much HP you put out and good your radiator/fan setup is. If you can get by with a smaller opening, it looks less like a obvious conversion.
I'm looking for a grill, now that my cooling is worked out ( more or less.)
Last weekend I saw a rear lid grill from a 2.4 that looked like the right size and styled similar my the full grill fog light covers. Too bad someone bought it before I could grab it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:49 AM