Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More V-8 conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Its getting closer, but still have a few more questions: Here is the progress thread.

I would like to mount the throttle coming up the firewall (renegade suggestion). Can someone post any pics if they did it that way? I bought a bracket that Scott said would fit my Chevy 305 eldebrock torquer manifold but the holes aren't quite wide enough and I'm doubting if it will work even if I modify it.

Time to lengthen the sideshift rod....my oil pan is not the typical stock one. It appears it may be too wide for just the typical 1 1/4 length addition. Cable shifters seem pretty pricey..$600?, looking at options.

Brakes: I have read so much on brakes my eyes are are tired. I have removed the proportional valve and replaced with a T. I still have stock, but all new rotors all the way around. I'm looking at adding some BMW calipers with a 19mm MC, but after reading Lampuwali's brake thread (whom I highly respect) makes me question whether it's worth it...doesn't sound like it.

Front Bumper and Grill. I have an nice, early bumper that needs to be cut for the radiator air. I was thinking about going to the wrecking yard and looking for a engine grill that I could mod to install on the backside of the bumper. Any tips or tricks? How did you cut your "chrome" bumper hole? Does it mess-up the chrome trying to cut it?
Thanks
IPB Image

IPB Image
plymouth37
As far as the brakes go I would install a complete carrera front end (but it will cost ya)

As far as cutting the bumper goes:
1)Tape the line you want to cut and mask the hell out of the area around it (this way if your cut-off wheel slips you won't nick your bumper)
2) Take a hole saw and cut out the corners for that rounded look (go slow!)
3) Cut out your opening with a cut-off wheel (go slow and don't build up to much heat)
4) remove masking tape and finish with some knock-on if desired.
Heres mine.
Click to view attachment
cobra94563
For openings - I've seen big openings and smaller openings. I think it partly depends on how much HP you put out and good your radiator/fan setup is. If you can get by with a smaller opening, it looks less like a obvious conversion.
I'm looking for a grill, now that my cooling is worked out ( more or less.)
Last weekend I saw a rear lid grill from a 2.4 that looked like the right size and styled similar my the full grill fog light covers. Too bad someone bought it before I could grab it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.