Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

82 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Project Anklebiter Build Thread., 8/29 Lid latches and glamor shots...
plymouth37
post Jun 12 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 07:33 PM) *

I'll be in Vegas the weekend of June 28th. Will it be ready by then?????

(hint, hint)

Got out of that crazy town but if you ever come through Laramie a cold one will be waiting for ya (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wow up to 100 posts already! Thanks for the support guys!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 12 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #102

Tonight I pulled my tank and gutted everything in the front trunk, I bagged and tagged everything, next stop for the parts I am keeping is the powder coater.

I will be welding up all of the un-needed holes then stripping the remaining paint in preparation for primer.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Jun 12 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

Wow up to 100 posts already! Thanks for the support guys!

...has something to do with a sick whip i think...
+Quote Post
somesonofabeach
post Jun 12 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #104

Great Lakes Pirate

Member No.: 9,014
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I didn't think it was possible to have a gas tank area that clean. Yours looks better than factory compared to mine. KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 13 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #105

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 04:05 PM) *

100-125 MORE horsepower in a 1900 pound car? Damn that sounds terrifying! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
You are such a bad influence, I suppuse I need a 930 transaxle too while I am at it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Well crap, now I am going to have to sink even more money in to this fricken car!
I thought a Murcie was out of reach but now, well, can you imagine a 914 beating a Murcielago in a race? I think I would die laughing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
What have I done...

Yup.... My 2006 WRX (stock) is 230hp, after 25% in drivetrain loss, you're only looking at about 175 hp to the wheels.

Bellmouth downpipe, 3-inch exhaust, and a cobb accessport... I was at 285 hp (stage 2)... I think that ends up to be around 230 at the wheels.

Bolted on a VF39 turbo (it was a straightforward install), downloaded a free map online from Cobb..... boom, 362 hp.... just like that.... free, no dynotuning required.

I got ancy... and forked over $400 for some fine-dynotuning at Cobb in SLC.... they got me up to 304 at the wheels by maxing out my injectors.... 380-ish at the crank. All I've done since then was add an intake... so I'm guestimating right at 385 crank hp.

Keep in mind.... I'm turning 5 driveshafts and heavier wheels.... you're not.

My local club/website (SLCSUBARU.COM) has several guys running WELL over 350 WHP (close to 450 crank hp) on the stock internals. I've seen STI guys run close to 600hp on the stock internals..... It's all about the size turbo, the fuel system to support it, and the tuning.

I would say your biggest issue is going to be tranny strength..... and traction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 13 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #106

QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 13 2008, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 04:05 PM) *

100-125 MORE horsepower in a 1900 pound car? That sounds terrifying! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
You are such a bad influence, I suppose I need a 930 transaxle too while I am at it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yup.... My 2006 WRX (stock) is 230hp, after 25% in drivetrain loss, you're only looking at about 175 hp to the wheels.

Bellmouth downpipe, 3-inch exhaust, and a cobb accessport... I was at 285 hp (stage 2)... I think that ends up to be around 230 at the wheels.

Bolted on a VF39 turbo (it was a straightforward install), downloaded a free map online from Cobb..... boom, 362 hp.... just like that.... free, no dynotuning required.

I got ancy... and forked over $400 for some fine-dynotuning at Cobb in SLC.... they got me up to 304 at the wheels by maxing out my injectors.... 380-ish at the crank. All I've done since then was add an intake... so I'm guestimating right at 385 crank hp.

Keep in mind.... I'm turning 5 driveshafts and heavier wheels.... you're not.

My local club/website (SLCSUBARU.COM) has several guys running WELL over 350 WHP (close to 450 crank hp) on the stock internals. I've seen STI guys run close to 600hp on the stock internals..... It's all about the size turbo, the fuel system to support it, and the tuning.

I would say your biggest issue is going to be tranny strength..... and traction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wow! That is wicked! Thanks for the info!
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jun 13 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #107

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Absolutley WICKED Dana... this is going to be one of my favorite project threads ever.

Keep it up
+Quote Post
Slider
post Jun 13 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #108

Problems are like cockroaches you find 1 and theres a 100 more

Member No.: 7,591
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice job Dana,

the car looks awesome

im looking forward to seeing this beast...
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Jun 15 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #109

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 12:53 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

This is the Renegade Hybrids Subie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No, I don't think that's the same one...

My bad, sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

WTF? IMHO your car (in its previous incarnation anyway) is the iconic RH conversion!
Subscribed for sure!
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jun 15 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #110

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 15 2008, 07:06 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

WTF? IMHO your car (in its previous incarnation anyway) is the iconic RH conversion!
Subscribed for sure!

Damn, I hate having to explain jokes. See, the expert identified the vehicle, then the person without any knowledge whatsoever, challenged the identification. Lastly, the expert, rather than fall into the trap of justifying his expert knowledge, agreed and apologized.

Another variation of this is when you meet someone, tell him "I know your, name... don't tell me... it's John" The person you're meeting corrects you and says "No, my name is Brent". Then you tell him "No, it's not Brent, I really think it's John". The fun begins when Brent tries to use logic to prove his name is Brent. At that point, you have drawn Brent into an argument over what his name is!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Damn... Now that's funny!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Jun 15 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #111

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Subscribed for sure!

Damn, I hate having to explain jokes. See, the expert identified the vehicle, then the person without any knowledge whatsoever, challenged the identification. Lastly, the expert, rather than fall into the trap of justifying his expert knowledge, agreed and apologized.

Another variation of this is when you meet someone, tell him "I know your, name... don't tell me... it's John" The person you're meeting corrects you and says "No, my name is Brent". Then you tell him "No, it's not Brent, I really think it's John". The fun begins when Brent tries to use logic to prove his name is Brent. At that point, you have drawn Brent into an argument over what his name is!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I get it - kind of like - "My bad, sorry (not)" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jun 15 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #112

The Viper Blue 914

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 15 2008, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Subscribed for sure!

I get it - kind of like - "My bad, sorry (not)" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

OK, it's not the funniest joke in the world... I try to being a little light humor to your dry, boring, nothing lives, and that's the thanks I get???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 23 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #113

Well, it's been a while. Between painting my house and haven't had much time to work on the car!
I snuck away last night and got the windshield cleaned up and reshaped.

I started out by using the templates I made earlier to position the frame where I wanted it. I was going to mount the frame so the top of it was even with the top of the head hoops but it just didn't look right. Now that the lift off hard-top is looking like its going to happen having the frame a little higher will be better anyway. I ended up mounting the windshield an inch higher than the hoops so now the car will be 41" tall not 40".
Attached Image

I welded up the relief cuts I made in the corners, then I rounded off the corners of the frame and boxed them.
Attached Image

I then ground down the pinch welds and rewelded the frame with butt welds.
As you can see I left a small bit of the pinch weld at the bottom of the frame so I would have something to clamp to for final adjustments, this will be ground down once I have welded the frame in place.
(Did you notice the wall? I did a little painting while I was waiting for the welds to cool, I figure if I paint it four feet at a time that wall will be all white by fall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

Here is a good shot of the new rounded frame.
Attached Image

I boxed in the corners but left the center un-boxed. The interior side and back of the frame will be wrapped in vinyl and I will make a matching removable filler piece for the center of the frame. When I make the top I will design it so its front lip fits into the center slot (with the filler piece removed) for a secure and fairly water tight fit.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 23 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #114

Here is how things are looking now.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Next I will fabricate the backing plates for mounting the windshield. I am going to plug weld in a second layer of metal inside the frame at the connection point so I will have a backed butt-weld, and double the stock metal thickness where the frame meets the cowl. I will then drill an access hole in the back of the frame so I can weld up the interior support plate, then weld up the access hole. If I do this right the frame will be much stronger than stock.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 23 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #115

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) Looks sweet Dana.

Any chance you want to come out here and make me a cage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jun 23 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #116

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

yeah, wow dude, you are doing some very nice work!
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jun 23 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #117

The Viper Blue 914

I'm still not sure why you'd want to paint that??? It would look awesome with a clearcoat!!!

Great work. Are you sure this is your first 914 project???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 23 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #118

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

I expect to see the whole garage painted now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Jun 23 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #119

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590

OMFG!!!!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

This is the coolest thread and build!

I feel completely inadequate! (Shrinkage here!)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 23 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #120

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 23 2008, 10:54 AM) *

I'm still not sure why you'd want to paint that??? It would look awesome with a clearcoat!!!

I could do a 914 "Pur Sang" in honor of the Bugatti Pur Sang (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Polished steel and carbon fiber trunks and humps would be pretty sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Although it would be a lot easier to sand bondo than metal finish the whole car...
Attached Image
+Quote Post

82 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:14 PM