Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

82 Pages V « < 68 69 70 71 72 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Project Anklebiter Build Thread., 8/29 Lid latches and glamor shots...
plymouth37
post Apr 4 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #1381

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Did you know the 16bit WRX computers only use the rear O2 sensor for emissions purposes? The JDM cars don't even have it. Time for more simplification and weight savings!
Attached Image

Got a shiny new plug for the bung, this will be a good spot for a wideband once I start tuning.
Attached Image

There! Saved a couple ounces and shed 4 more wires!
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KWPorsche914WRX
post Apr 4 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #1382

Member No.: 23,011
Region Association: None

Mr. Stokes...

I hope this post finds you well. It sure has been awhile. It is your old friend Keith from Vegas. Hit me up on PM. I am thinking about selling my 914 and wanted to talk with you regarding value before I go any further. Since we last taked, we have left the house in Henderson where we all used to live and moved to Colorado Springs. Hope to hear from you soon Dana.

Buds of old,

Keith Wilson
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 4 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #1383

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(KWPorsche914WRX @ Apr 4 2019, 08:22 AM) *

Mr. Stokes...

I hope this post finds you well. It sure has been awhile. It is your old friend Keith from Vegas. Hit me up on PM. I am thinking about selling my 914 and wanted to talk with you regarding value before I go any further. Since we last taked, we have left the house in Henderson where we all used to live and moved to Colorado Springs. Hope to hear from you soon Dana.

Buds of old,

Keith Wilson

Keith! Good to hear you are still around and in CO Springs. We had lunch at Hooters with LVSteve when I bought his Gold 914 years ago.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 4 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #1384

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 4 2019, 08:35 AM) *

Did you know the 16bit WRX computers only use the rear O2 sensor for emissions purposes? The JDM cars don't even have it. Time for more simplification and weight savings!

Same goes for the EZ-30D 6cyl.
+Quote Post
KWPorsche914WRX
post Apr 4 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #1385

QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 4 2019, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(KWPorsche914WRX @ Apr 4 2019, 08:22 AM) *

Mr. Stokes...

Buds of old,

Keith Wilson

Keith! Good to hear you are still around and in CO Springs. We had lunch at Hooters with LVSteve when I bought his Gold 914 years ago.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hey! How ya been???
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 4 2019, 12:35 PM
Post #1386

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just to clarify, all OBD2 cars have an after cat o2 sensor. It's sole purpose is to verify the cat is installed and working. Appropriately coded P0420 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Looking forward to seeing the car in person this WCR.

Did you know the 16bit WRX computers only use the rear O2 sensor for emissions purposes? The JDM cars don't even have it.

+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Apr 4 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #1387

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 4 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Just to clarify, all OBD2 cars have an after cat o2 sensor. It's sole purpose is to verify the cat is installed and working. Appropriately coded P0420 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Looking forward to seeing the car in person this WCR.

Did you know the 16bit WRX computers only use the rear O2 sensor for emissions purposes? The JDM cars don't even have it.

True, however the later drive by wire 32bit wrx/sti use the rear O2 sensor as a secondary input to correct the air/fuel ratio, while the earlier cars just use it check your cat health/existence.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Apr 4 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #1388

QUOTE(KWPorsche914WRX @ Apr 4 2019, 10:22 AM) *

Mr. Stokes...

Buds of old,

Keith Wilson

Hey buddy! Good to hear from you, you should start a thread here on the world, I bet we could dial in your car's worth together!

Tom's is a pretty relevant recent sale, went for around 30k, I bet yours is probably in that ballpark.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335699
+Quote Post
KWPorsche914WRX
post Apr 5 2019, 10:09 AM
Post #1389

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 4 2019, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(KWPorsche914WRX @ Apr 4 2019, 10:22 AM) *

Mr. Stokes...

Buds of old,

Keith Wilson

Hey buddy! Good to hear from you, you should start a thread here on the world, I bet we could dial in your car's worth together!

Tom's is a pretty relevant recent sale, went for around 30k, I bet yours is probably in that ballpark.

Thanks Dana! Tom's car is nice, very nice. Do you think that due the the various magazine articles on my car raises the value at all? I have a standing offer right now for $25k but I think it is worth more. I put $60k into it and just can't let THAT much $$$ go down the drain.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335699

+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Apr 25 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #1390

My 930 boost sender wasn't working, and verifying correct boost is pretty critical as I dial in the car. This was a parts bin freebie from when I worked at Renegade, a new one is like $180 so the goal was to restore the one I had. I found the issue as soon as I pried the cover off, the little piece of aluminum that holds the end of the return spring had snapped off. (Circled in red)
Attached Image

I drilled a tiny hole in another piece of the case in a spot that would tension the spring in a similar way to the original then temporarily installed it to tune it.
Attached Image

There are a few tiny metal tabs inside the sender that you can bend to adjust the min and max travel of the potentiometer. I pressurized my intake and verified the gauge against a second pressure sensor I rigged up. it took a little poking to adjust it but it reads correctly now.
Attached Image

After a test drive to ensure it worked well I painted the cover I scratched up prying it off. and soldered a longer wire in. finally I put it all back together.
Attached Image

Then I installed it. Eventually I would like to drive my gauge off of the Subie MAP sensor and eliminate all of this but this will work for now!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 25 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #1391

My car is too small, or at least these seats are too high, time to address that!
Attached Image

I picked up some cheap Bride knockoffs, i was being optimistic and tried just mounting them with the stock rails.
Attached Image

Predictably they sat way too tall...
Attached Image

So I took out my angle grinder and removed the floor support.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 25 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #1392

I threw some paint on the floor, I will probably add a floor support back in there, haven't figured out how crucial it is yet.
Attached Image

I mounted the seats on their runners, they are already pretty low but I lowered them an additional inch in the rear to replicate the 914 seating angle.
Attached Image

then I bolted them to the floor using monster fender washers
Attached Image

Attached Image
I am going to reupholster and modify these so these are perfect, I fit in them pretty well as well, next step belts!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 26 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #1393

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) I almost missed this update. Wish you were local. I'd love to get an up close look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 26 2019, 10:09 AM
Post #1394

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

What are you going to do when its actually "done" ... so much work modifying every single item on the car
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 26 2019, 11:05 AM
Post #1395

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Nice work, and choice on seats!

Not sure how crucial those cross-beams are, but a race shop felt they were important enough to save when we lowered my driver's seat. Got about 0.8-inch while keeping sliders.

From post #75 on:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...80724&st=60

And some more recent pics here, in post #44:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37884&st=40
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 26 2019, 11:39 AM
Post #1396

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 26 2019, 10:09 AM) *

What are you going to do when its actually "done" ... so much work modifying every single item on the car

Don't worry, it will never be done, just wait until I disassemble the whole thing again before paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 26 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #1397

I bought some Schroth 4-point harnesses with anti-submarining technology, I eliminated the original upper seatbelt mount so a 4-point solution made sense, also this isn't really a full blown race car so I wanted to avoid a 5 or 6 point race harness.
Attached Image

They mount to the main hoop that passes through the firewall, typically your belts should be between level or sloping up to the seat less than 20 degrees, mine are about dead straight.
Attached Image

Here they are, next problem to solve is replacing the handbrake I had to eliminate to get these seats to fit in the car...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 27 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #1398

I need to move the handbrake in-between the seats now that I have wider seats. Browsing ebay I found one that was perfect for adapting to a 914, it has a built in mount for the cable ends, and the perfect recess that corresponds to the wiring trough in the console.
Attached Image

Here is the unfortunate victim that gave up its handbrake handle for the build, thanks Ferrari! Second Ferrari bit on the car, that has to be worth a couple hundred horsepower right?
Attached Image

The Ferrari handbrake mechanism has a pully wheel that the cable loops around, I replaced this with a more normal equalizer, this requires a more conventional end on the cables. To make a more conventional end on the cables I cut a chunk of a bolt and drilled a hole in it, then threaded the cable through.
Attached Image

Then I blasted it with a nice hot blob of weld.
Attached Image

To relocate the handbrake to the center you need to buy a second passenger cable to replace the driver side, here is the handle base with the cables and equalizer installed.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 27 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #1399

I have to say I am pretty darn happy with this. It is about as close to a bolt in solution as I could find.
Attached Image

It is reasonably ergonomic and controls the brakes perfectly, there is another thing off the list! Woohoo!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 27 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #1400

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) thats fuchin awesome... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

82 Pages V « < 68 69 70 71 72 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:48 PM