Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

82 Pages V « < 48 49 50 51 52 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Project Anklebiter Build Thread., 8/29 Lid latches and glamor shots...
flipb
post Jul 11 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #981

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 11 2012, 10:10 AM
Post #982

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
rockin! spectacular work Dana.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Jul 11 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #983

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

It's tomorrow.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 11 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #984

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Satin black chassis paint is on! I found it sprays the best reduced by about 20%, I put on 2 light coats and got the coverage I was looking for.
I turned the heater in the garage up as far as it goes and will leave it to bake overnight.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 11 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #985

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 11 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #986

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Sorry Dana, I can't resist...

That'll buff out!
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 18 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #987

I did a bunch of little tasks to get the engine ready to install.
First I replaced my thoroughly melted clutch and reinstalled my freshly turned flywheel.
Attached Image

Then I installed a new Perrin light weight pulley, this took 3lbs 8.8oz off of the rotating mass of my engine, that aught to change it's revving characteristics!
Attached Image

Next I installed the rear piece to the JWest shift linkage.
Attached Image

Finally I mounted the rear tube chassis to the drivetrain. I even miraculously avoided scratching the new paint!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dasnowman
post Jul 18 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #988

You miss 100% of shots you don't take!

Member No.: 14,477
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:37 PM) *

Then I installed a new Perrin light weight pulley, this took 3lbs 8.8oz off of the rotating mass of my engine, that aught to change it's revving characteristics!
Attached Image

Being a Suby guy I would keep the factory one on it works as a great harmonic balancer, for the little differance you feel from the Perrin it's not worth the relaibility issue's you "WILL" have. Even with a B & B engine I still think the factory one is the best option. I know it's really easy way to drop some weight especially on a rotating mass but sometimes weight can be a benefit.

I have read though your whole thread and love everything you have done and wish I had the dedication and know how to do the things you are doing.

Cheers,
Marlon

Might putting something like this in my Teener was in my 07 Ltd STi. Built short block, TVG deleats, meth injection, AP2 engine managment, 380 WHP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i156.photobucket.com-14477-1342668472.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 18 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #989

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jul 18 2012, 09:27 PM) *

Being a Suby guy I would keep the factory one on it works as a great harmonic balancer, for the little differance you feel from the Perrin it's not worth the relaibility issue's you "WILL" have. Even with a B & B engine I still think the factory one is the best option. I know it's really easy way to drop some weight especially on a rotating mass but sometimes weight can be a benefit.

Yeah, I have read the thousands of arguments on nasioc.com Here is a good one regarding the aftermarket pulleys, some guys (myself included) are of the opinion that they are safe to use, some guys think the engine will grenade if you remove the stock one. I have a couple friends with over 50k miles on their pulleys without experiencing problems, hopefully I will be as lucky as they have been. I figure I will try this one out and if I am not happy with it I can always swap back, thanks for the advice!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 18 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #990

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Less rotating mass is cool to a point. My rotary setup has a lightened flywheel. It gets a little "jumpy" at low speed low throttle driving. A heavier flywheel would help prevent this but would make the wind up slower.

There are pros and cons to rotating mass, especially when our cars are so light...
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 18 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #991

I think this is one of the components that I will just have to wait until the R&D portion of the build to see if I like it.
Right now I am sticking to the theory that lighter is better, if my driving experience starts to tell me otherwise I will reevaluate.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jul 19 2012, 02:49 AM
Post #992

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

You will know real quick if its causing a balance issue and it will only grenade if you then choose to ignore it. IMHO
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Jul 19 2012, 03:43 AM
Post #993

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jul 9 2012, 07:20 PM) *

I think you should make a mold of that tub as is in preparation for making copies out of carbon fiber...hmmmmmm.....just saying...

i saw all the pieces disassembled and thought the exact same thing!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
fat73
post Jul 19 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #994

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jul 18 2012, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:37 PM) *

Attached Image

I have read though your whole thread and love everything you have done and wish I had the dedication and know how to do the things you are doing.

Cheers,
Marlon

Might putting something like this in my Teener was in my 07 Ltd STi. Built short block, TVG deleats, meth injection, AP2 engine managment, 380 WHP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i156.photobucket.com-14477-1342668472.1.jpg)

I beg to differ about the pulley. I have a lighweight COBB Performance pulley on my '73 914/2003 WRX conversion with 25k on it (the engine has 58k now). No problems and it hasn't been pampered in terms of how I run it.

Ed
+Quote Post
stickerdick
post Aug 17 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #995

Member No.: 14,812

I just got through going over your build, very impressive. I am in the process of building a tube chassis based on a914 drivetrain for a landspeed buggy and I find your ideas for the rear setup of your car to be very helpful for what I am doing. Thank you for being so talented and detailed with your build. Can't wait to see what you do next.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 29 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #996

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

It's not the longetivity of the pulley that is the question. The oil pump is right behind the pulley. The balancer is there to smooth out the revolutions. ATI, check out their faqs. Most suby beginners crater a motor from many different things, mostly thinking the oil level is good between changes because it aways was in the na honda they dogged before the wrx they moved on to. Subys are a different motor entirely and were originally meant for under 7k operation in the snow but the engineers didn't cut the cost of the motor by using a solid light weight pulley, wonder why? Most hard hotrodded subys don't make it far enough to find out if the lightweight pully helped cause the destruction. Some people even have cel issues from lightweight flywheels at idle.

Unabomber only writes what he reads, he is not a engine builder or a mechanic. All you need to do is look at a suby stock balancer and you will see the rubber and metal parts of a balancer built to try and smooth hormonics out, but like most oem stuff it's really only designed to smooth it out where the normal guy uses the motor, not at the rpms a high reving hotrodder uses. Thats why nascar uses ATI balancers. You think they aren't looking for every hp they can find?

I guess light pulleys do look better than a stock hormonic balancer though.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Sep 30 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #997

Attached Image
+Quote Post
David J
post Sep 30 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #998

Member No.: 14,577
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 30 2012, 07:06 PM) *

Like I stated earlier, I have made my decision and am sticking with it, I have done my research and based on what I know I feel comfortable running a light weight pulley.
Thank you for your input but I am sticking with what I have learned from my experiences within the Subaru community.
If I blow my engine because of this I will let you say I told you so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).

Here is a pretty picture to get everyone back on topic...
Attached Image

That is one awesome 914! Congratulations for your vision and your skills.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Sep 30 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #999

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

New Background... Check.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 30 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #1000

Member No.: 7,712

Dana

Always like your style, form and fabrication skills.

Without going back on your entire thread what did you do in the highlighed area to beef up the area where the lower tube ties into the remaining uni-body? I see that plate that drops down .. just wondering whats behind it. Is it tied into another tube or boxed in? The angle of the pic's gets my brain wandering.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

82 Pages V « < 48 49 50 51 52 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:50 PM