Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OE fog lamps, can they be restored or should i get new ones
justdrive914
post Sep 22 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,374
Region Association: South East States

Ok, I have my old fog lamps and the glass is really ruff looking, has a lot of rock chips small ones. So is it best to try and get the stone marks out is that possible, or should i just get some new ones? What is the best new brand to get?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 22 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

For me... $33.00 (not sure if that's still the price) each is cheap vs. all the polishing etc. that will never look right. You'll spend hours if not days trying to get them right.

Buy them from our friendly Glenn at Pelican Parts.
+Quote Post
scotty
post Sep 22 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #3

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718
Region Association: None

they won't be original/correct... you'll open yourself up to endless ridicule by people who know (see 911 v 356) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Buy some from Pelican (or other aftermarket).
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Sep 22 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

Pretty soon im gonna try to polish my fogs. I did my headlight for my acura when I modifed the housing, and it turned out great.
+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 22 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Yeah so im going to try and find some euro fogs i think i know a guy who has a few sets now that i think of it. and or go after market, plus the us fogs suck with the lighting anyways i want the sun to be out when im driving at night.

As to those 356 911 guys its my car I do whatever the hell I want to it. Ever seen those top gear guys with that 911? and the wreck it into shit on purpose... that even hurt me.. think its on you tube
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 22 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(justdrive914 @ Sep 22 2008, 06:02 PM) *

Ok, I have my old fog lamps and the glass is really ruff looking, has a lot of rock chips small ones. So is it best to try and get the stone marks out is that possible, or should i just get some new ones? What is the best new brand to get?

OK, you got my curiosity up!

Are you only concerned with lenses, or the bodies too?

I have some new lenses, but I'll only let them go to a CW. Are you one?
Pat
+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 24 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 22 2008, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(justdrive914 @ Sep 22 2008, 06:02 PM) *

OK, you got my curiosity up!

Are you only concerned with lenses, or the bodies too?

I have some new lenses, but I'll only let them go to a CW. Are you one?
Pat

Pat what is CW and please don't think im stupid for asking! anyways i suppose i'll let you know..
Thanks andrew
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 24 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #8

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Easy Auto Wreckers in Emeryville, Ca has a guy who does a nice update to the lense and bulb on the factory light! It looks good and functions great!
You can see them here!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 24 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #9

Ski Bum

another

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ericread
post Sep 24 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #10

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

Do you know what the "Auto Wreckers" setup has done voltage wise? I'd like to increase my beam efficiency, but I'm wary of any significant voltage/wattage increase on my 35 year old wiring harness.

Thanks.

Eric Read (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 24 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Ski Bum

I think they were increased to 150w bulbs with narowed beam reflectors inside!

PS: They recomended a new power wire with a relay due to the increased load.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 25 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #12

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Do a search on "Pilot lights"

CW means "concours weenies" anally retentive people that will tell you that a nut is a 1/8th turn off of the correct orientation from the factory so it's not correct.

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 25 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #13

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The placement of the fog lamps is low, as fog lights are supposed to be. They're linked to the low beam circuit because that's the DOT reg. Using low mounted lights as driving lights, i.e. narrow focused, high wattage beams, is pretty much a waste of effort, as they can't possibly be of any use down there. Furthermore, it's been proven in scientific testing that using your fog lights as "fill-in" when there's no fog out there actually significantly REDUCES your overall night vision, especially at distance, which is where you really need to see. Driving lights mounted down there would only make the situation worse. Loss of lighting effectiveness at speed is called "overdriving your lights". Besides, people who use their fog lights when there's no fog PISS ME OFF. Trendy drivers tend to do this, mostly because they're moronic lemmings.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 25 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #14

Ski Bum

They are not pointed up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

They just extend the beam brighter and a bit farther over the surface of the road!

The old ones don't give off enough light for anything, at least my old ones didn't! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 29 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 25 2008, 11:09 AM) *

The placement of the fog lamps is low, as fog lights are supposed to be. They're linked to the low beam circuit because that's the DOT reg. Using low mounted lights as driving lights, i.e. narrow focused, high wattage beams, is pretty much a waste of effort, as they can't possibly be of any use down there. Furthermore, it's been proven in scientific testing that using your fog lights as "fill-in" when there's no fog out there actually significantly REDUCES your overall night vision, especially at distance, which is where you really need to see. Driving lights mounted down there would only make the situation worse. Loss of lighting effectiveness at speed is called "overdriving your lights". Besides, people who use their fog lights when there's no fog PISS ME OFF. Trendy drivers tend to do this, mostly because they're moronic lemmings.

The Cap'n

Trendy people piss me off too! I want to get bright lights just so I can shine them in there mirror and watch them wreck there trendy ass cars! good point with the lights I just need a replacement because mine are gone now.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Sep 29 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #16

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a friend who used to fix annoying trendy drivers as he drove home from work at the cape.

He mounted a capacitor bank from a flash in the car, and aimed the bulb out the rear window and hung the little red LED in the rear window.

Some jerk starts riding his ass with lights blazing and he would hit the switch on the dash.

You could see the LED click on, and hear the cap bank charging and FWOOSH!

The flash went off.

The jerk usually stayed back after that.

Ken
+Quote Post
number6
post Oct 4 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,546
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 25 2008, 12:09 PM) *

The Cap'n

Wow, good stuff. I've always been surprised to experience the reduced effectiveness w/ my driving lights on (they came on the car instead of OEM fog lights). People always tell me I'm crazy when I make this observation. Crazy I still may be, but at least now I know my vision isn't impaired.

The morons who drive with fog lights on...why is it that they are always in a Lexus, with those ANNOYING yellow fogs? Argghhhh!!!!

On a positive note, I've been encountering more and more considerate truck and SUV drivers who turn their lights off when behind me at a stop light. Restores my faith in humanity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:08 PM