Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anything break on your car latley?, Vent Here
sww914
post Nov 1 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Rear window rattles like crazy over every bump. My fresh duct tape windshield molding came off. I'm waiting to fix the loose glass until after I paint it. I have the paint, I just don't have the time.
My clutch cable tube broke at the firewall, I fixed it and the car shifts a hell of a lot better when the clutch fully disengages. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
My door buzzer only works after I take the key out, I gotta find that little POS and pull it out or shoot it with a .45. Either way, I'll be happy to never hear it's anemic whine ever again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 1 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #22

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Now that you mention it... that stupid tape along the bottom of ny rear window is loose. It buzzes when the wind buffets it. Driving me bonkers.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 1 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 31 2008, 06:19 PM) *

YOU have a cup holder???

Two actually. I got one of them generic center trays from FLAPS with two cup holders. Fits perfectly between the stock seats.

It's a must for any road trip, and i have done two of those since i got that little bump in displacement ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 1 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #24

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Never driven the one I have yet. Give me some time, I'll break plenty on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Nov 1 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #25

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

You don't have to drive one to have something go wrong. This is what I came home to the other day... It left a nice little dent in the dentless fender.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Nov 2 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #26

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

October 26th, nice drive in the mountains, figured last drive before tucking it away for the winter. Driving up a hill and it starts cutting out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) and dies.
Pull it over and thinking dead fuel pump. Call AAA and have it towed (the ultimate embarassment) and I'll just worry about it in the spring. (sigh).
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Nov 2 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #27

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Nov 2 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Call AAA and have it towed (the ultimate embarassment)

Dont be embarassed...

My last 914 did not have a fuel guage, one morning I was driving tward the gas station to fuel up and sure as shit died 9 blocks or so from the station, 5 min drive or 20 min walk back to the house to get the can and 45 min walk to station plus 25 min walk back to car. I decided to call AAA and they gave me a 5 min piggy back to drop me at the pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Nov 2 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, let's see... here's the saga with the new car.

Transmission was noisy but functional except for the occasional clunk when coasting. Decided to change the oil and run it until it died. When draining the oil I heard "clink, clunk" as pieces fell out into the drain pan. Big roller bearings. Okay, guess that transmission is done.

Put a good used transmission in the car and took it to the local PCA autocross to shake down other issues. Broke a transmission mount which broke the ear off of the "new" transmission and tore one of the oil lines going to the oil tank. Hmmm so far the car isn't living up to expectations.

Keeping a stiff upper lip though I tore down the original transmission and took off the rear housing to put on the "new" transmission. While the car was down waiting for gaskets I tore into the dash to figure out why none of the idiot lights or tach were working. Still don't know why the tack isn't working but found all of the idiot lights were disconnected. Looks like the PO had an aftermarket gauge package installed at one point and bypassed the idiot lights but the gauges are no longer in the car so it seemed prudent to hook up the idiot lights again.

Okay, fast forward 2 weeks: idiot lights hooked up, rear transmission cover replaced, new transmission mounts installed, new oil line installed, ready for a test drive. Start up the car and the newly hooked up oil pressure idiot light is flickering on and off at idle, raise the RPM and it goes off. Once the car is warm though the light stays off. Head scratcher, backwards from normal. Usually its when the motor is warm that you get low oil pressure at idle.

Fast forward 2 more weeks: installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure the problem is real and not just a faulty sending unit. Yep, its real. Condition is degrading too. Started the car yesterday, no oil pressure for 5 secs, then built up to 70psi at idle for 15 sec, then dropped to zero. Shut down and restarted multiple times, no oil pressure.

Grrr... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I guess the old addage is true: buyer beware.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Nov 2 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #29

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 31 2008, 05:44 PM) *

WTF happened there?

Don't know yet. I am too disgruntled to find out.

As I turned on to my cul-de-sac coming home from RRC I heard a sudden & loud tapping noise from the engine. I looked back and saw a boat load of smoke coming from the exhaust. I tapped the gas enough to get up the curb and shut it down. I haven't started it since. Now, my once dry as a bone underside is also covered in oil and the garage floor has about 2 quarts neatly spread all over it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'll have it back on the road for Route 66. That is my goal. Who knows....maybe it'll be a 3.4 by then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post May 4 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #30

Speed Up !!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) I declare this thread will never die (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Driving home last night, i got up to speed on the freeway, just about 4200 rpm and i hear...

BAM !@

The rain + speed + 30years = the bueatiful metal trim around the top/ side windshield frame blows off the car into the dark night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

it smacked the roof really hard just befor it flew away.

a moment of silence for the missing part.

i will have a brief search party on the way home tonight.
+Quote Post
derekdenman
post May 4 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,852

My 914 has become my primary driver again because my Toyota Corolla brokeā€¦ If that counts.

Toyota has 312K on it and the igniter within the distributor stopped working. I have to replace the whole distributor to fix it and that is a cool $300. I only paid $500 for the car.

On top of that it broke down in Downtown (southeast) Dallas, which is a very rough area, at 2 am last Thursday.

Then the next day I found out that I had gotten evicted because my roommate took my rent money and skipped town.

The plus side is that now I have a perfect excuse to drive the 914 every day.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 4 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #32

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 4 2009, 03:40 PM) *

The rain + speed + 30years = the bueatiful metal trim around the top/ side windshield frame blows off the car into the dark night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

it smacked the roof really hard just befor it flew away.

a moment of silence for the missing part.

i will have a brief search party on the way home tonight.

My old trim is in the garage somewhere. Yours if you want it. Has to be in better shape then yours after taking flying lessons.

Okay, fast forward 2 weeks: idiot lights hooked up, rear transmission cover replaced, new transmission mounts installed, new oil line installed, ready for a test drive. Start up the car and the newly hooked up oil pressure idiot light is flickering on and off at idle, raise the RPM and it goes off. Once the car is warm though the light stays off. Head scratcher, backwards from normal. Usually its when the motor is warm that you get low oil pressure at idle.

Fast forward 2 more weeks: installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure the problem is real and not just a faulty sending unit. Yep, its real. Condition is degrading too. Started the car yesterday, no oil pressure for 5 secs, then built up to 70psi at idle for 15 sec, then dropped to zero. Shut down and restarted multiple times, no oil pressure.

What was your problem? My car has the exact same symptoms.

Zach

+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jul 27 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #33

Speed Up !!!

update:

Fixed all transmission problems (thanks Evil) and the exhaust wont go back on, one stud dropped out of the head and left a crater the size of the moon. po filled the void with some kinda putty. Now have to pull the head, meanwhile the passenger side shoulder bolt gave up last night, i got a kit from j-west (i think) and replaced the driver side few months back. The entire pivot on the passenger side was no longer connected to the car.

And then to top it off.... while i was drilling the jwest trunk hinge, i placed the corded drill on top of the car for a second, only to trip on the cord and have it wack the top of the passenger door with the drill bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

one more ding

This thread will continue F O R E V E R
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:44 AM