Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a stock 914-6 even better-
brp986s
post Nov 28 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,167

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 28 2008, 08:31 AM) *

You could wax it... Your 914 is doing better than the stock market.

thats not saying much. But, speaking of the stock market, now may be the time to buy non-rustable metal. sorry for the hijack, but thought this was interesting:

gold
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 28 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #22

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Lou W @ Nov 27 2008, 11:53 PM) *

I say, leave it alone, enjoy it for what it is.... buy the engineless blue converted 914-6 at CAMP914 listed in the classified and go crazy with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 28 2008, 12:15 AM) *

Lou does have a point on the blue car. I was thinking of getting it for myself last week but it needs more brakes and suppression now that that has gone on the yellow car. A 3.2 back in there with more brakes and you have it. That is a great deal.

Bob

I don't think that Duc took the brakes off the Blue car @ Camp914. Just the engine & tranny. So that is a SWEET car for someone to build & play with.

I'm restoring a 914-6, but I'm doing things to it that CWs would cringe at. I don't care, because 1st. they are being done First Class and 2nd, I don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

T.C.
+Quote Post
carcam
post Nov 28 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,334

Thanks for all the replies. I just got back from a nice drive and I'm going to keep it a is. It's lots of fun without 200hp. The carbs are a little touchy. It's kind of rough at idle- maybe I'll change the plug wires,coil, distributor cap. The 914 was my first Porsche in college ('70 1.7ltr) and after some new 911's, it' nice to get in the teener on sunny days. I appreciate all your help on these boards- really great bunch of guys (no offense to any lady members).
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 28 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #24

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Bob
[/quote]

I don't think that Duc took the brakes off the Blue car @ Camp914. Just the engine & tranny. So that is a SWEET car for someone to build & play with.

I'm restoring a 914-6, but I'm doing things to it that CWs would cringe at. I don't care, because 1st. they are being done First Class and 2nd, I don't ever plan on getting rid of it.

T.C.
[/quote]

T.C.,
The suspension was switched. They’re where a lot of post but as of last week I was just ready to do it and changed my mind because of that very thing. If you look at the pictures of the changing of parts you will see that the blue car ended up with the yellow cars suspension.

Bob
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 28 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #25

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I also own a 70 914-6, but it has been hot rodded (2.7) & I suspect it's what you'd like. However, hot rod another car & do not mess w/ that beautiful blue baby. Find the Webbers put them back on. Build another "super 914" or buy one that has already been bastardized, as I did.
+Quote Post
Bill D
post Nov 28 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,558

My initial reaction was to keep it stock but when you think about it it's your car and if you drive it make it what you want. I modified my 6 30+ years ago starting with a 2.2E with 40IDAs and it took off from there. I never regretted it.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 28 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was faced with the same dilema, I wanted more power from my 1970 factory 914-6. I'd had the car since 1977, and did finally succumb to changing out the 27 mm venturis to the 30 mm ones, and rejetting the carbs as was mentioned in the old Panorama articles or Upfixen der Porsche (for you PCA types like me).

To curb my cravings, I purchased a 1973 914 1.7, pulled out the engine and trans, and all the stops. Now, 2.7 liters with nice E cams, 915 transaxle, metal flares, Carrera brakes, stiffened chassis, etc., etc., I have my toy with no worries about destroying a nice original -6. It still goes out on nice sunny drives, but now to just simply cruise around and not race around. I figured that after all these years of reliable service, she deserved to be able to semi-retire (like her owner!).

+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Nov 28 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ok, here is usually I would say "it is your car, do what you want." However, in the case of something as well kept and rare as this one.... well it it kind of the case of "it is not your car, you are merely keeping it in safekeeping for the next guy." The car is a beautiful piece of history, and it would be great for it to stay the way it is.

However, (again) it really is your car and you can do what you want to it. We can only encourage you to try to maintain what originality it has left. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
post Nov 28 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 8,545

you know if you didnt care about the 911 turbo underneath, you could pull that engine and put it in the teener!!! 480hp or so right? what a nightmare. but of course you could just go hunt down a 3.2 and put the original in dry storage
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Nov 28 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #30

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I think the 3.0 can be run fine without an external oil cooler! Modify the existing cooler, throw on a flywheel, clutch, crank fire ign and carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) and put the 2.2 in dry storage until you decide to sell the car!

That's my $.02
+Quote Post
sbonthemesa
post Nov 28 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #31

Semi-Lurker

Member No.: 4,895
Region Association: None

Sorry, no. The 3.0 and up all need extra cooling. There HAVE been a few that haven't. It's not an instant 20 minute need, it's a long term 1 hour plus linear need or a track need.

Just speaking from experience.
+Quote Post
westgl
post Nov 28 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 9,756

I'll tell you what just sell me that blue 914-6, and Then the sky's the limit, your ready to build a beast

Westgl
+Quote Post
6freak
post Nov 29 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #33

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 27 2008, 07:08 PM) *

I have a perfect 914-6 that is a great car. In 1970 it was incredible. I am tempted, as have others for 38+ years to make it a little better... I want to keep it looking stock but perform better. I know I could do exhaustive searches and learn all the tricks and upgrades and I have bought all the books but I want to know what you, the forum members would do. Keep it stock and do nothing, upgrade...--- ignition, cylinders, pmo's, suspension...

I'd like to lower the front end to look better but I suspect it adversely affects handling. My 2 L engine has been upgraded to 2.2 L w solex cams and it runs good but not great. But looking at it and it looks stock. And it shifts well. What about MSD, ignition upgrades, pmo's.

This is a wonderful forum, without it I couldn't have got such an old car since nobody around here even knows what it is and I'm not on the same level, mechanically as most of you.

Thanks!

All bolt ons you can remove and dont go with big power you`ll twist it all up and start bracking welds....If you want to freak something out go with the ass dragger those are a dime a dozen...save every part you remove so you can put it back when needed.I have a factory six and ive upgraded the suspension and a few other small things and im someday wanting a 2.2 but i will mothball the stock motor and go with a defferant case and everything just so i have the original stuff to put it back if needed.....Good luck with it all ,,,,That car is a peach
+Quote Post
carcam
post Nov 29 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 9,334

Stock it is- or at least a stock as it is now. We've been tweaking it this weekend and got it running great (a little rough at idle). As tempting as it is to put a bigger engine in it, I'm finding I really like making a slow car go fast as opposed to driving the fast car slow. My favorite 356's are always the outlaws- I just need to get over it.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Nov 29 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 29 2008, 09:06 AM) *

Stock it is- or at least a stock as it is now. We've been tweaking it this weekend and got it running great (a little rough at idle). As tempting as it is to put a bigger engine in it, I'm finding I really like making a slow car go fast as opposed to driving the fast car slow. My favorite 356's are always the outlaws- I just need to get over it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Good choice!
+Quote Post
jfort
post Nov 29 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

my six came with a 2.5L "short stroker," E cam and Webers. I like the torque, the quickness and the sound.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 29 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #37

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

it looks like you have the Porsche Spectrum of Driving
Vehicle's right there!........Be content (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Nov 29 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #38

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 29 2008, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 29 2008, 09:06 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Good choice!

+1. Good choice. What a great looking car.
+Quote Post
number6
post Nov 29 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 9,546

QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 28 2008, 12:06 PM) *

T.C.,
The suspension was switched. They’re where a lot of post but as of last week I was just ready to do it and changed my mind because of that very thing. If you look at the pictures of the changing of parts you will see that the blue car ended up with the yellow cars suspension.

Bob

Just a clarification: The blue car remains EXACTLY as it was first advertised. I believe Bob is referring to my conversion thread, where some (but not all) suspension components were switched around between this and my yellow car prior to it being listed. What is for sale is what is (and has always been) listed. Hope that clears things up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
number6
post Nov 29 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 9,546

QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 29 2008, 08:06 AM) *

For everyday driving, I'm with you 100%. Having just converted to a 3.2, I can tell you it's wicked fun, but I miss pushing the car to make it go.

From the look of your garage, though, I'm guessing the -6 is not a daily driver but instead only comes out for fun jaunts. In that case, I think you would really enjoy something like a well-tuned, FI 2.4, just to give you that little extra go. No permanent mods to the car, of course! Depending on your driving preference, you may actually like a non-S motor more. My '73.5T is an absolute blast to drive - it's surprisingly quick, and that's in a car that's several hundred pounds heavier. 140HP for a later 2.4T may not seem like a lot on paper, but a good example will surprise you. Before finding my car (47K original miles), I drove dozens of early T's, E's, and S's, and the difference between so-so-tuned cars to one setup as the factory intended is night and day! I think such a motor would be the perfect match for a 914 without compromising overall balance. Again, for a street setup, especially given your preference.

Your car is gorgeous, btw! Is that original paint?

-duc

(Oh, and you obviously know about Emory Motorsports for 356 Outlaws, no? http://emorymotorsports.com/ )
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:40 PM