Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Column Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
From the Steering Wheel Thread:

QUOTE(markb @ Oct 9 2009, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 8 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Not a real six.. just the dash frame out of a totalled real six. I had to build the column up from scratch.

Thanks for the compliment though. biggrin.gif

It's a good looking dash, & I'm still hoping you find the write-up on how you did that column..... dry.gif

Ok.. I found the pictures. Not really too detailed, as I got involved in making it instead of taking pictures.

Start with a 4 cylinder column. Remove the mounting plate from it.

Pict is of the leftover column tube. sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment

Now you have just the column mounting plate.

Remove the mounts from the 911 column, saving the tube. sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment

Weld the 4 cylinder mount to the 911 column. welder.gif You should end up with this.

Click to view attachment

Now you can put the column back together. I don't know about a car with a stock 3 gauge dash, but with the 911 style dash I had to trim the front edge of the top clamshell to get it to clear the gauge assembly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now on to the dash frame.

I got a rusted out six dash from a guy who totalled his six.

Here are both the 4 cylinder dash and the six dash together.

Click to view attachment

The four dash is from a 73. To use a six style column, you have to modify the dash to hold the ignition lock. I had the six dash, so I used it. The six dash doesn't have the holes for the air vents, and I have a future use for them (Air Conditioning) so I chose to keep them. This entailed cutting a hole in the left side of the dash for the vent.

Click to view attachment

I then took the dash frame and cut the glovebox end off because there is no hole for the vent on the right side. I spliced in the end from the 4 cylinder dash to add the hole. You have to remember that the early no vent glovebox is an inch wider than the 73 and later glovebox. I mounted the glovebox door from the 73 in the frame to hold it in place while I tack welded the frame parts together.

Finished dash....

Click to view attachment

The conversion also meant that I lost the location for one switch to the left of the column. So I moved the hazard switch to the right of the column.

If someone wanted to make a copy of the key location for a six column that could be welded into a 4 cylinder dash it would make this much easier to do. I am not a body man so I can't do something like this.

I know this is short on picutres. If someone wants one of these done, and can supply the parts. I will be glad to do a second one. But you have to come take pictures while I build it. biggrin.gif

rick 918-S

Clay,

Very nice write up.

If you take and cover the key switch stamping with masking tape, lightly apply some wax to the tape and make a fibre glas plug of the stamping and send it to me I think I could make some out of sheet metal. smash.gif
type47fan
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 11 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Clay,

Very nice write up.

If you take and cover the key switch stamping with masking tape, lightly apply some wax to the tape and make a fibre glas plug of the stamping and send it to me I think I could make some out of sheet metal. smash.gif

Rick,

I did this with a -6 dash I had. PM me your address and I'll send you the plug and a couple of tin foil impressions I made of the key switch depression.

Thanks,
rick 918-S
QUOTE(type47fan @ Oct 11 2009, 03:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Clay,

Very nice write up.

Rick,

I did this with a -6 dash I had. PM me your address and I'll send you the plug and a couple of tin foil impressions I made of the key switch depression.

Thanks,

PM sent bye1.gif

Oh and here's a link to Andy's column conversion
bcheney
I think this should go over into the Lapuwali classic thread area. I have always wondered how difficult this would be. I am doing a six conversion. VERY cool topic.
Todd Enlund

Clay,

Very nice write up.

beer.gif popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
I used the -4 cheap switch and made it look like the six $$$one
markb
piratenanner.gif Thanks Clay!
I have the switch part from a 911 dash that I'll ave to make work, but I needed the column stuff most. pray.gif
bandjoey
Definitely a classic entry Clay! Good write up.
70Sixter
Nice work. I'd always been told this couldn't be done.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Oct 14 2009, 04:16 PM) *

Nice work. I'd always been told this couldn't be done.

When someone says it can't be done, I look at it as a challenge. biggrin.gif

type47fan
Click to view attachment

The perfect companion to this thread would be a wiring diagram of the new column switches mated to the -4 wiring harness!

But, "it probably can't be done." tongue.gif
Jgilliam914
After scouring the archives I have found this one to be the easiest. I had the 911 column and was given a switch both out of a SC. No offense to anyone who has tackled this and thought there was was better. I basically read several and took bits and pieces of infor from many of them. The hardest part was cutting the old mount from the 4 cylinder column. sawzall-smiley.gif Then a little welder.gif and you got it!!
I love it that all you guys who have blazed the trails before me! first.gif It makes it much easier for the rest of us!! pray.gif One thing I would add is that before you weld everthing up align the notches in the steering shafts with the universal joint to make sure you have your mounting plate in the right location. I know it seems elementary but know this ahead may save you time and keep you from screwing it up :-) I know my car is already tore apart but it took little time to do this.
edwin
Anyone have a ball park figure of what the parts should cost?
The dash in my project is cut out and I'm really thinking of going this way
Cheers
Edwin
Jgilliam914
I did some looking before I got all my parts. The conversion could be less than $350. 100- 150 for the keyed switch and the same for a colum with the turn signal and wiper switch. I am sure I will incur more costs than I already have but I am pretty sure the switch and column are the two highest priced pieces
jm993rs
Very good idea !!!
Harpo
Good afternoon

To those of you that have blazed the trail before me did you have to do anything special to retain the steering wheel lock. Will the 911 ignition switch lock in to the 914-4 steering shaft.

Hopefully most of my pieces for my conversion will arrive this weekend,

Thanks

David
Jgilliam914
I do not think so. You will have to convert a 911 steering column to fit in the 914
913B
So is there a particular year for the donor clam shell and electrica switches to get ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Apr 11 2013, 10:50 PM) *

So is there a particular year for the donor clam shell and electrica switches to get ?

Here's a link to my column conversion thread with pitchers ( beer3.gif ) and part numbers ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.