Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: preserve your Rubber with this stuff...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 14 2009, 05:10 PM) *

Here's a shot of the undercoating I was refering to. When I have more time, I'll use some of the Griots rubber cleaner on it so you can see how well it works. The shot is alittle blown out due to the camera flash.

Click to view attachment

Tod - that looks just like my 73 2L's wheel wells' undercoating (sorry, pix on the broken laptop), & the red paint showing through on the lower left may indicate that it was a dealer add-on.

The dealers made 50-60+% profit to sell cars with it added on the sale price, which I'm sure is why mine sold in CA was so undercoated & as were many sold out here.

However, it was probably a good thing to have done anyway - given the salt air near the coast, people going up to the local mountains to ski/etc. & getting unexpectedly caught in a snow storm in the Cajon Pass on I-40 or Grapevine on I-5 etc., & occasional El Nino years of heavy rains.

1973 & 74 were two consecutive of those El Nino seasons (worst was Fall 72 thru Spring 73, then Fall 73 - Spring 74 a little less so), where I frequently found my big ole 69 Pontiac Ventura 4 door up to the underside or rockers in a foot+ of water over the curbs while parked on city streets, after I was in classes at USC near downtown LA back then.

Those with small & sports cars had to find high ground on which to park, since we use all surface drainage out here (no storm sewers), & with the 914's mere 4.7" of ground clearance, that's 8"+ underwater! hissyfit.gif

So Cali 914 buyers, those were also the most popular 73 & 74 MY 914-2.0's first year out, & makes a close check for underbody rust problems well worthwhile to those looking to buy!! ...just a word of warning based on history folks! shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 15 2009, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 14 2009, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 7 2009, 10:16 PM) *

Pat to clairify, it was the black coating put on either by the dealer or the factory as an option, after the paint. Have to get a COA to determine who did it. It's certinaly not the Ziebart that's on there. I'll try to get some shots so you see what I mean. I guess it's possible it's tar, but seems to be more of a rubbery compound.

Tod,
A COA will probably NOT list any rustproofing, factory or dealer.

So, let's get the the facts together on early '70's Ziebart. That way, we can segregate the Ziebart from the factory coatings.

Ziebart was tar-based. May have had some wax tossed into it also, but I don't know. What I do know is that a Ziebart treated car had numerous holes drilled into body cavities and structiral parts, to allow spraying the compound into them.

On a 914, these areas included:
Rear door jambs
Front and rear structural hood elements
Sail panels

Holes were drilled, sprayed into & then capped with plugs. The entire rest of the underbody was sprayed with the same substance. Most cars that have had the treatment still have it on suspension pieces, because the folks at Ziebart thought they were doing a good thing (which they were).

Ziebart was not a fools folly - it worked, and still does today. Thiers was a well thought out process that actually helped protect cars, particularly in the rust belt of this country.

Now, with that said, the factory wheel well coating was a Schutz compound, which is rubber based and paintable.

Both compounds, after these many years, are renewable and paintable. See my earlier text on renewing.

Now,the easy way to determine a Ziebart-treated car.......look for the yellow/black/red plastic plugs covering the drilled holes.

Hope this helps.
Pat

Thanx for clarifying that Pat. I recall the Ziebart treatment system now, but would've never allowed anyone to punch holes in my 914, esp. with it being overkill out here in Calif., where only sand & cinders were ever used on the mountain roads & high passes with snow.

And yes, I did take mine up there with ski racks to ski, and was "caught" in snow on the Grapevine & Cajon Pass a few times as well!

So back in the 70's & early 80's it saw some snow, but has/had an aftermarket/dealer undercoating which looks similar to Tod's Red 73 in the pix above.

I'll need to remove all of my undercoating to go to bare metal & repair & re-prime/repaint everything, and would like to retreat it afterwards with the best available rubberized undercoating, which I'd probably not paint over & leave black cuz I like that look in the wheel wells on a white/light color car).

Is the Porsche body schutz the same product as the Wurth one which someone mentioned above, or a different product? confused24.gif

...if different, where can one get the original Porsche body schutz & by what name?? confused24.gif

...& is it better, the same or not as good as either the Wurth & 3M etc. "modern" products for their intended purpose of rock/gouge & rust prevention?? confused24.gif

Body Schutz IS a 3M product, and was the original used by the Factory, prior to painting.

"Schutz" is readily available in bulk (small quantities), or as an aerosol spray. I don't recommend the aerosol beacuse it does not "lay on" with the original texture.

A pressure gun (35 psi) is available for the bulk product. I have one around here somewhere, though haven't seen it in 20+ years. If I can find it, you're welcomed to use it.

What I said earlier about the aerosol product is not meant to mean tht it doesn't work well - just doesn't give the proper texture.

If you want to see the "proper" texture, search for my find on a "snow plow" rear valence. It has the perfect, original texture on the rear (unpainted), and the perfect texture (painted over) on the front side. The aerosol has a the wrong spray head to duplicate this finish.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.