Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Annual "What's your Winter Project" thread... UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
naro914
OK, so it's not winter yet, but my season starts early next year so I need to get a lot of stuff done soon. Last year, I had a LOOOONG list. I finished most of it, but here is the 2009/2010 winter list...

UPDATED 3/3/10

HUEY Projects:
- Install Tilton Brake Bias adjuster (project from last year)
- install blade fuse panel (from last year) DONE
- re-do door panels
- re-do dash face
- new plug wires - blue?DONE
- carpeting (from last year) with soundproofing on fire wallDONE
- relocate battery
- new mufflerDONE
- new clutch/pressure plate
- limited slip???
- new suspension - maybe Koni adjustable or something
- figure out how to make 914-6/911 left hand key ignition
- fix an old/new oil leak that is driving me crazyDONE
- fix weird ignition problem (not fixed but I think I know what it is)
- maybe do megasquirt EFI....not sure yet...maybe just PMO carbs (Actually became 'replace 2.7 with 3.2 motor')

PAPA SMURF Projects:
- Install new Wevo engine mounts DONE
- new clutch/pp/lwfw
- limited slip
- install hood pinsDONE
- scrape tar off floor/paint pass compartmentDONE
- make new custom wiring harnessDONE
- fix fuel guage/sending unit DONE
- fix temp guage/sending unitDONE
- repair fiberglass from agricutural excursion of 2008 at VIR (from last year)
- rear brake padsDONE
- new fuse panelDONE
- push button startDONE
- repaint interiorDONE
- new belts/harnessesDONE
- lighten car by 50 lbsDONE

most of the important stuff with Papa Smurf will be done this week before our last event of the year (VIR the weekend before Thanksgiving)

Thats it for me, I think...

Anyone else?
VaccaRabite
Build a new set of carbs.
Add more sound proofing to the cabin firewall, and maybe the doors.
Fix electrical gremlins in the front of the car.
recover my seats.

Zach
naro914
ah, gotta add the sound proofing in with the carpet thing in Huey...what are you using?
tat2dphreak
I've already started, yea, it's a bunch of little shit, but that counts biggrin.gif
euro tail-lights - done. one tail light was causing fits so I replaced the buckets too
custom door pulls (no stock door pockets covering the beautiful 914ap.com panels. - done... (I'll post pics later) wink.gif
chrome trim - sail panel, thresholds, door handles(in and out) - done.
heat installed for "winter" driving if texas has a "winter" - done
5-lug conversion - got the parts, so far
external oil cooler - got a little warm in traffic the other day... it was about 80 that day, and 5pm traffic was BRUTAL... but this has to get done before it gets warm.
pilot driving lights
stereo and speakers

damn, I want to add sound proofing to the list too... I have a bunch from mcmaster carr I forgot about, too.
Dr Evil
God, I hope it is not my bus sad.gif

The rest depends on Scotty B and my availability to get the 914 finished after he does the hard stuff.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 9 2009, 06:06 PM) *

God, I hope it is not my bus sad.gif

The rest depends on Scotty B and my availability to get the 914 finished after he does the hard stuff.

poke.gif Ironically your car is my winter project rolleyes.gif Oh and for me personaly, my motorcycle.

again......

I will get it done this time......

probably not................

unsure.gif
flipb
Unfortunately, I will be outsourcing much of this. But here goes:

- Convert from Weber Progressive to dual 40mm (Sorry FI purists, decided to go carb)
- Install cooling system components (thermostat, flaps, etc) removed by a PO
- Clutch adjustment
- Valve adjustment
- Permanent repair of fried wires
- Fix Odometer
- Perhaps new fuel lines
- Shift linkage firewall bushing (missing!)
- Shift linkage rear cap
- Debating whether to apply the Porsche side stripe decals that the PO gave me... (input welcome!)

- Fix whatever else I break in the process of fixing the above
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 10 2009, 07:48 AM) *

Unfortunately, I will be outsourcing much of this. But here goes:

- Convert from Weber Progressive to dual 40mm (Sorry FI purists, decided to go carb)
- Install cooling system components (thermostat, flaps, etc) removed by a PO
- Clutch adjustment
- Valve adjustment
- Permanent repair of fried wires
- Fix Odometer
- Perhaps new fuel lines
- Shift linkage firewall bushing (missing!)
- Shift linkage rear cap
- Debating whether to apply the Porsche side stripe decals that the PO gave me... (input welcome!)

- Fix whatever else I break in the process of fixing the above

there's nothing there you can't do, if you have the time biggrin.gif in fact I've done all those things over the years except the odometer. the board helped, of course wink.gif

I would definitely do the fuel lines, you'll have to have the engine out to install the flaps anyway.

do the valve adjustment out of the car. it's easier to reach.

I don't like the side stripes, but that's just me.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 9 2009, 08:28 PM) *

ah, gotta add the sound proofing in with the carpet thing in Huey...what are you using?

I have 1/2 a roll of RaaMat left from last winter when I put in the first rounds of sound proofing. I am going to put another layer on the cabin side of the firewall. if I can just get to the car where a longer drive is not intolerable without earplugs, I'll be well on my way.

I'll probably add a relay to my driving lights when I figure out what they grounded against or what caused them to pop the fuse. I need to figure out why my drivers side bulb won't light. And I need to shrink wrap all the spade connectors at the fuse block (that are not already wrapped.)

Zach
SGB
-Sand, fill, prime doner hood and trunk for impending repaint.
-Send old heads to Len for rebuild. Fix another pulled exhaust stud on my "new" heads.
-Go through parts stash acquired from Rob and Nel, put up some for sale ads.
-Try to squeeze 215/50-15 tires under unflaired rear fenders
-Maybe put original interior back in.

-Fix whatever breaks or is broken when I start any of the above.
Soul
I will be cutting out some rust under the windshield and hopefully prepping for paint......assuming I am able to rebuild these calipers without any problems.
rohar
Engine swap. If I make it through that, bodywork to prep for paint.
NS914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 9 2009, 09:14 PM) *

OK, so it's not winter yet, but my season starts early next year so I need to get a lot of stuff done soon. Last year, I had a LOOOONG list. I finished most of it, but here is the 2009/2010 winter list...

HUEY Projects:
- Install Tilton Brake Bias adjuster (project from last year)
- install blade fuse panel (from last year)
- re-do door panels
- re-do dash face
- new plug wires - blue?
- carpeting (from last year) with soundproofing on fire wall
- relocate battery
- new muffler
- new clutch/pressure plate
- limited slip???
- new suspension - maybe Koni adjustable or something
- figure out how to make 914-6/911 left hand key ignition
- fix an old/new oil leak that is driving me crazy
- fix weird ignition problem
- maybe do megasquirt EFI....not sure yet...maybe just PMO carbs

PAPA SMURF Projects:
- Install new Wevo engine mounts
- new clutch/pp/lwfw
- limited slip
- install hood pins
- scrape tar off floor/paint pass compartment
- make new custom wiring harness
- fix fuel guage/sending unit
- fix temp guage/sending unit
- repair fiberglass from agricutural excursion of 2008 at VIR (from last year)
- rear brake pads

most of the important stuff with Papa Smurf will be done this week before our last event of the year (VIR the weekend before Thanksgiving)

Thats it for me, I think...

Anyone else?

Hi Guys,

I keep on saying I have to get pictures on here and haven't done so yet. I live here in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada and am just a few hours away from Ian Stott, Moncton New Brunswick (haven't met Ian yet either) who posts here as well.

I am restoring / building my 74 914. I want to run it on the street but at the same time run it for track days, DE Events (member of Acadia Region PCA) and generally drive as much as possible from May to November / December each year.

You guys have given me all kinds of ideas but, the key for now is to get the car finally back on the street.

Projects for this Winter Include:

Engman Long Reinforcements - Received, thanks Marc
Order / Install Hood Shocks front and rear
Order / Install Driver's side floor panel - mine is not all that bad but I am in here and I really want to maximize the benefit of Marc's Sill panels.
Order / Install Fusebox form Engman - clean up that side of things
Reassemble Heater box and all pipes at back.
Finish brake brake lines and plumb system re fluid etc.
Figure out what I am going to do re Park Brake - need to run new lines through new rear fire wall panel - person who installed did not allow for holes to go through but, easily fixed once I get at it.
Reinstall Shift rod under car
Install Clutch and Throttle cables
Install Carbs adn sync (should be fun)
Order / Install MSD Box
Install Exhaust
Test, Tune, Drive

Much thanks to you guys for all of your information and the fantastic work that many of you have done on your cars. I am busy ordering parts for the Winter with the thought that I can get a little done this winter (no heated garage and temperatures get down to -18 - -20ish on a regular basis in winter - not so bad but it is a damp cold as we are on the coast as well) re longs, floor, fuse panel and some cleaning up of wiring especially in the front trunk area.

Regards,

Grant

naro914
QUOTE(rohar @ Nov 10 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Heck, engine swap is easy..it's the body work that's harder and more time consuming.

We used to have only one engine for Papa Smurf and Huey, so when I needed one car or the other, inevitably the engine was in the wrong car. We got it down to 2.5 hours from running car to running car. Needless to say we did it A LOT...
rohar
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 10 2009, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Nov 10 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Heck, engine swap is easy..it's the body work that's harder and more time consuming.

We used to have only one engine for Papa Smurf and Huey, so when I needed one car or the other, inevitably the engine was in the wrong car. We got it down to 2.5 hours from running car to running car. Needless to say we did it A LOT...

It gets a bit more complicated when you're trying to stuff one of these in there:

IPB Image

happy11.gif

naro914
oh...
aircooledtechguy
This winter it will be (hopefully):

1. Going through the brakes front and rear
2. New front shocks. Would love Koni yellow$. . .

The rest in no particular order. . .

- Get the speedo fixed/restored so I have a working odometer
- Replace the windshield wiper motor
- Get fresh air fan working or replace it as required.
- Recover the front seats or at the least the passenger seat
tat2dphreak
Would love Koni yellow

watch for used ones. I see deals on them quite a bit... I think I paid 125 for a pair.
Scott S
I have three…
- Get the -6 jammed into the martini car

-Figure out how to get the d-type through emissions and registered (car has not been registered..... ever.)

-Replace the horrible “builder grade” tile on our fireplace

I need to get my @ss in gear. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
naro914
one of these years, I hope my "winter projects" consists of absolutely NOTHING...

then again... I have a '69 911 that I may do once that happens with the 914's, so it looks like I'm doomed forever.... sad.gif
d914
finish welding projects
finish paint
drop from rotessire

maybe actually start to bolt things back on!!!!!!!!
mpoffers
1) Rebuild pedal cluster

2) Replace rubber fuel lines

3) Replace vacuum lines

4) Adjust valves, timing and dwell

5) Hope it will idle without me feathering the throttle

6) Enjoy sense of accomplishment

smilie_pokal.gif
montoya 73 2.0
My list;

1. Pull motor (powder coat tins, clean-up and make pretty so the wife wants this car so I can have the other one and put a 3.2 in it! w00t.gif ).
2. Pull interior out, grind off tar crap, clean, re-coat and add some sound mat. Install new (Full) interior including new dash top (i've had since February).
3. Install new rubber seals I've had for over a year (thanks Mark)!
4. Strip and paint the hood, engine lid, roof and rear lid.
5. Straighten and paint front / rear bumpers. Add new bumper tops also!
6. Install all new shift bushings for my Re-furbished transmission! Thanks Doc!
7. And some sawzall-smiley.gif with a little welder.gif then a bit of headbang.gif alot of beer3.gif and possibly hissyfit.gif and last but not least driving.gif

Elliot Cannon
My winter project/projects.
1. Put roofs back on cars.

Cevan
Rebuilding my tired 2.0 to a 2056. Oh and beer3.gif
SLITS
Spiff out the Gayman.
Sleepin
Five lug on the white car whenever I can post-2-1117899824.gif the money. I also have the $0.25 O-Ring to replace on the Silver car's speedo drive. yellowsleep[1].gif
raw1298
Lots to do this winter!
Replace rotors and install brakes. Done!!
Finish hell hole repair. welder.gif
Install engine.
Weber 40's. Done!!!
Stainless fuel lines.
Install flares and get body ready to paint! sawzall-smiley.gif

And for next week.......... biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Just finishing up my first winter project...

Upgrade my 2.4T MFI motor to a 2.4S MFI motor.

It is done and back in the car.. just fired it off this afternoon. It was a bitch to get the MFI motor lit for the first time..... took lots of carb cleaner sprayed down the stacks to get it fired. It runs with no oil leaks. Ran it about 10 minutes, then had to shut it down, as I had to leave for class. Tomorrow I have some injection adjustment to do, and I have to mod the right hand air cleaner. K&N watershield air cleaners won't clear the injection pump without some slight modification to the inside rear of the top.

Second winter project.

Rebuild the engine in the Wife's 914. After the engine spit the fan and chewed up the woodruff key slot, I decided to go through it.

Oh.. and after 9 months of unemployment, I have a new job to start on Monday...... smilie_pokal.gif

Long term project.

Get the 4.0L engine back in development. I am still looking for a crank for a 3.6, now that I will have the money to actually buy it. biggrin.gif

tat2dphreak
Oh.. and after 9 months of unemployment, I have a new job to start on Monday...... smilie_pokal.gif

GRATS!!
jmill
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 10 2009, 09:11 PM) *

Spiff out the Gayman.

Damn I must be getting old. I have the slightest idea WTF that means. unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 10 2009, 10:20 PM) *

Spiff out the Gayman.

Damn I must be getting old. I have the slightest idea WTF that means. unsure.gif

Slits bought a Miata...... and everytime he drives it, it goes "Immmmmmmm Gayyyyyyyyyy".

gayfight.gif

PanelBilly
I want to design and build a set of rockers that are different. I may end up just making a set of flared steel rockers to match the body lines.
914junkie
Paint it...finally. I'm leaning towards silver with sunset orange wheels, mirrors, rockers and tail. Sort of a GT3 scheme with a little twist on the orange. Kept think'n bout that Chromesicle thread awhile back. idea.gif It's that or the same scheme but with Mexico blue accents. confused24.gif I'll post some pics when I get it done. Good luck on your to do lists guys, hope ya get it all done. beerchug.gif
MrKona
Finish up the five-lug conversion and 2.0L engine build. I took a self-imposed hiatus from the 914, but I'm back, and it's raining out, so it's time to get started again.
914_teener
1. New rims 2.0's.... Need to send to Al Reed

2. Rust repair in the front boot channel.

3. Relocate fuel pump to front.

4. New fresh air fan... thanks Bruce.....while I have the tank out check the sock ect.

That's enough.

BTW anybody want a set of 5 Riv's for cheap....?

Dr. Roger
make enough money to keep my house and afford a new 930 with all the bells and whistles... new renegade cooling, bigger clutch, cable shifter, ls2 all aluminum v8... oh yea'.... =-)
nsr-jamie
Grind the floor panels down to bare metal

Install the rear 914/6 hub kit to match the 911 front end

Do some work on the interior

Degreasse the engine and gear box and some minor detailing

Have some fun and beers too while doing some of this work with a couple of my friends here in Japan

Cheers! beerchug.gif
RON S.

I'm having to rebuild the 3.6 in my 6r.

The car had a spun rod bearing in it. Not fun, but something I knew was coming eventually.

Ron

J P Stein
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:11 AM) *

one of these years, I hope my "winter projects" consists of absolutely NOTHING...

then again... I have a '69 911 that I may do once that happens with the 914's, so it looks like I'm doomed forever.... sad.gif

This is as close as I have been to that lofty goal in....10-12 winters.
All I need are tiars/wheels/shocks for Mr.2.
J P Stein
QUOTE(RON S. @ Nov 11 2009, 08:15 AM) *

The car had a spun rod bearing in it. Not fun, but something I knew was coming eventually.

Ron

Maybe what they say up this way about SC folk is true. idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 10 2009, 09:20 PM) *

Spiff out the Gayman.

"Spiff out the gay man". Something about coming out of the closet. It was a deleted scene from "Broke Back Mountain". lol-2.gif
1. 2056 rebuild/Evil Tranny install....Back in car ready to crank!! Sunday I double and triple checked torgues, wires, hoses, etc

2. Go to braided brake lines and Racing Fluid....Done

3. Add Front Sway....19mm Welt installed. Needs a little more work before road ready. Need bushings so I don't have stress problems at the bracket.

4. RennShifter....installed and drove once before dropping 1.8 out of car back on last weekend in Sept. Will take getting used to but man the shifts were short and sweet.

I have missed three AX's so that makes me sad BUT my baby will be ready for the spring. SSM or do I lie about my cam and run CSP. Possible dyno time in Dec if all goes well.

Oh and Clay...congrats on getting off your arz and getting back in society.... biggrin.gif
Also get in touch with DR about what he has put together. He was the Front Man in setting up everything in HS with the hotel.

KP

Oh and I really would like to find a set of slicks that would fit my 16x7's!! Gotta figure that is 2 to 3 seconds on a 60 second run.
johnnie5
I have almost all the parts in the garage to do these projects...

1. Install Euro rear lenses to match front (thanks Wes!). - DONE!
2. Plumb in heat. Flapper boxes and new heater hose (hadn't done it since motor swap last January). - DONE!
3. Remove driver and passenger outer door handles and inner latches. Clean, grease, and replace. - DONE!
4. Remove factory steel rockers for long inspection. Clean, paint, and replace. - DONE!
5. Install Yello914's beautiful aluminium door jamb sills and carpet rails. - DONE!
6. Remove Birsch exhaust, paint with black VHT paint, replace. - DONE!
7. Install Engman's rear trunk release. - DONE!
8. Install factory right side mirror. - DONE!
9. Install factory front sway bar with adjustable drop links. - DONE!
10. Remove dash to have re-upholstered and replace. - DONE!
11. Replace front dash to windshield piece. - DONE!
12. Replace basketweave on dash face - DONE!
13. Install 19mm master cylinder. - DONE!
14. Replace driver window weatherstrip piece on targa top. -
RON S.
[quote name='J P Stein' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:37 AM' post='1237351']
[quote name='RON S.' post='1237339' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:15 AM']

Maybe what they say up this way about SC folk is true. idea.gif
[/quote]

JP,

I'm polishing up my resume as we speak biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ron
J P Stein
I'm truly sorry about the spun bearing in your motor, but it was not "coming eventually". I spun 2 rod bearings on the first motor I ever built....bout 40 odd years back, but never let it happen again....I'm a CSBO and that shit proves costly....much more so than tearing it apart before you break it. If you think it might need a rebuild, do it.

A lot of folks up this way say that SC folks are a bunch of ignorant louts/rednecks.
Ignorant, maybe, I think....but stupid, no. No more than some of the stupid louts we have up here. Ignorance can be cured by education/experience....unless your stupid & refuse to learn.

Building airplanes isn't like building BMWs....as some ignorant political or management types think.
BMWs don't go 450 knots @ 35000 feet. I've been building ships, boats, trains, structural steel, houses, & planes for 40 odd years....and nothing is as rigorous as planes. It isn't rocket science but it is chapter, book, & verse.....with no shortcuts.

Go for it. 12 bucks an hour makes it tough to attract good people. Boeing is too dumb to cull the herd......we have any number of 30 year service trolls running around. Fortunately we have some top notch/experienced people at the floor level to keep the wheels going around. Ya can't engineer or manage a plane together those days disappeared with the coming of the college boys and it's now beneath them to get their hands dirty....the snuffies with tools have to do it & do it right.

Boeing is gonna offer paid training. There are certifications that you MUST have to
work on airplanes (per the FAA)....get em' and finish at the top of your classes. Learn the Specs....there are a shitload of em'...more than you can imagine.
Become computer savvy if you're not already...you'll use the hell out of em'....don't come to hate the things as I do. Boeing throws lousy computer systems over the fence....which figures. If the IT people were any good, they'd go to work for Microsoft & get rich....Boeing get the culls of the Seattle area.

OH, BTW, emphasize your manufacturing back ground.

I think I'm done preachin'.

Good luck
ArtechnikA
I hope to be able to at least START working on the Porsche again. The Plan is to at least get the engine torn down and shipped off to Competition Engineering for their magic. There's no lack of stuff that needs doing, and being on the critical path for a high-visibility project at work is not adding to my 'spare time' opportunities... But after 6 years of work on the house and yard I'm going to be able to divert a bit of resources back into Porsche stuff...
r_towle
Put a six in my 356.

Rich
championgt1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 11 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Put a six in my 356.

Rich

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.