Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this part?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boston914
In the photo below, there is a part hanging down. It looks like a cover or a sump.
I have no idea what this is.

Can someone help me ID this part and its function?

Thanks!!IPB Image
r_towle
laugh.gif

that is the cover of your shifter at the transmission.
It should be held up by a very large screw clamp on the shifter console.
A few zip ties also works.

Rich
boston914
Thanks.

Does the clamp go around the entire perimeter of the cover?

I assume that this is there to keep dirt and grime out of the shift mechanism?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am not very mechancally inclined, but I love to drive 914s! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 1 2009, 05:24 PM) *

laugh.gif

Rich

jsayre914
QUOTE(boston914 @ Dec 1 2009, 08:28 PM) *

Thanks.

Does the clamp go around the entire perimeter of the cover?

I assume that this is there to keep dirt and grime out of the shift mechanism?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am not very mechancally inclined, but I love to drive 914s! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 1 2009, 05:24 PM) *

laugh.gif

Rich

yes it does
r_towle
the clamp goes all the way around the top, it lays in the groove you can see on the top of the cover.
OR
Run zip ties around it front the bottom all the way over the console so it stays put.
Yes, it is there to keep dirt away from the grease shifter bushing in there. You should probably clean and regrease it before you put the cover back on.

rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 1 2009, 05:31 PM) *

You should probably clean and regrease it before you put the cover back on.

agree.gif

Clean, check the bushings and cone set screw, then re-grease and put it back on ...
smash.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Zip ties are your friend...
type47
A stainless steel clamp from local hardware store (or 2 clamps put together) also works. They also should have a 4" exhaust duct clamp that could work.
Katmanken
My Sears tool store used to have stainless band clamps in a huge array of sizes- including enormous ones.....

A little tape measuring, a trip to the store and .......

IronHillRestorations
I'll 2nd the stainless steel hose clamp. Shouldn't be too hard to find one large enought to go around, they have them here in "nearly lost" TN
eg914
I couldn't find a clamp that fit in the groove on the cover, but found a BIG zip tie that fits perfectly. Only bummer is you need a new tie each time. I bought a package of them.
kenshapiro2002
See the shit you learn on here...guess I need a cover too?
Click to view attachment
type47
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 3 2009, 12:12 PM) *

...guess I need a cover too?

yep
7TPorsh
There's a cover that goes there??
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 3 2009, 01:56 PM) *

yep
7TPorsh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *

yep

Makes me wonder what else I'm missing...
flipb
Pelican has them - mine was missing too.

You do have to disconnect the shift linkage to put it on, however... (I have to anyway because my firewall bushing was also absent!)
kenshapiro2002
This group helped me realize I was missing the throttle and clutch stops on my pedal board, and now the cover for my shift linkage, as well as some screwed up wiring in my engine compartment. Every once in awhile I just put up a shot of a certain area and let the Ninefourteenophiles have at it...constructive criticism, and all... lol-2.gif

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 3 2009, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *

yep

Makes me wonder what else I'm missing...

jk76.914
Pic.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Slightly modified to fit my J-West shift linkage:

IPB Image

And more piks here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72363

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72775

smash.gif Andy
jsayre914
Im missing that rubber boot, and my wires have broken because of it dry.gif

i didnt know i was missing that av-943.gif
boston914
Went to see my mechanic on Thursday.
He cleaned and lubed the linkage, and used a 24" stainelss steel "hose clamp" to re-attach the cover.

Yesterday, I sold the car. mad.gif

It was strange this morining looking at the empty space in my garge.

The good news is that the space will soon be filled by a 911. smile.gif
kenshapiro2002
Don't feel too badly...maybe in the future you can work your way back up to a 914.

QUOTE(boston914 @ Dec 5 2009, 11:15 PM) *

Went to see my mechanic on Thursday.
He cleaned and lubed the linkage, and used a 24" stainelss steel "hose clamp" to re-attach the cover.

Yesterday, I sold the car. mad.gif

It was strange this morining looking at the empty space in my garge.

The good news is that the space will soon be filled by a 911. smile.gif

Joe Bob
Think of the 911 as a donor car....
kenshapiro2002
New 911...how boring...a car that works. yellowsleep[1].gif
r_towle
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I am not in any way trying to be a wiseass...but think through what I am about to say and make your own decision.

The engine is not a safe place to jack up a 914.
The engine bar is not a safe place to hold up a car.

The engine bar is held on to the body bye two small diameter 10mm nuts/bolts
They are not designed to lift the car, they are designed to hold up the motor.

The rubber motor mounts also disintegrate and break.

Both of these issues, a breaking rubber mount and/or a breaking 10m bolt will be a really bad thing.

Think about using the firewall and the long to jack up the car, or even better, the rear suspension right under the shock...that is where the weight is all the time, so its quite capable.

Just a thought as I took a look at your picture.
Take a look at the front engine bar and how it hooks up....you will see what I am talking about...

Rich
kenshapiro2002
Not a wiseass at all..I need the help. So if you use the rear suspension, you do one side at a time and put the supports where? If you use the long (guess you mean to use the jacking points on the sides?) where should I put the stands?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I am not in any way trying to be a wiseass...but think through what I am about to say and make your own decision.

Both of these issues, a breaking rubber mount and/or a breaking 10m bolt will be a really bad thing.

Think about using the firewall and the long to jack up the car, or even better, the rear suspension right under the shock...that is where the weight is all the time, so its quite capable.

Take a look at the front engine bar and how it hooks up....you will see what I am talking about...

Rich

r_towle
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 06:59 PM) *

Not a wiseass at all..I need the help. So if you use the rear suspension, you do one side at a time and put the supports where? If you use the long (guess you mean to use the jacking points on the sides?) where should I put the stands?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 7 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Rich

I use the long with one jack or the suspension with two jacks.
I suggested the suspension because I know you are hoping to fix your jack point soon...you dont have one on one side...

If you jack it up under the long...right about where the jack point it, it picks up the whole side of the car. (jack stand under the firewall or the long is ideal.
When you go jack up the other side...as your jacking, the opposing front tire settles back to the ground and all is good.
It is an odd car to jack up, but its built to do this.
The engine bar should have been built to do this, but its really not designed for that kind of stress and it wreaks havoc on the rubber mounts..

Rich
kenshapiro2002
I have fixed the jacking donut, but somebody, Sir Andy I believe, said not to jack using the jacking donuts...that they are not made for that. The firewall is strong enough for stands?
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:28 PM) *

I have fixed the jacking donut, but somebody, Sir Andy I believe, said not to jack using the jacking donuts...that they are not made for that. The firewall is strong enough for stands?

If your rear triangle was done right, the rear donut should be below some solid metal ...

shades.gif Andy
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 7 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:28 PM) *

If your rear triangle was done right, the rear donut should be below some solid metal ...

shades.gif Andy

The rear donuts are fine for jack stands or for jacking.
the front ones are questionable...they are not supported by the long, they are in the floor area. That may contribute to the confusion or miscommunication.

Rich
kenshapiro2002
This is a direct cut and paste...Sir Andy said, in reference to using the rear donuts:

Except, that's not a jacking doughnut ...

There's nothing structural to support the weight of the car on the backside of that doughnut. It was never meant to be used as a jacking point and it will deform if used in such a manner.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: BTW: ETC: The same goes for the doughnut in the front.

He also said the engine mounting bar was fine as long as the car is a side shifter.

I respect both of your opinions, and they differ. WTF.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 07:08 PM) *

This is a direct cut and paste...Sir Andy said, in reference to using the rear donuts:

Except, that's not a jacking doughnut ...

There's nothing structural to support the weight of the car on the backside of that doughnut. It was never meant to be used as a jacking point and it will deform if used in such a manner.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: BTW: ETC: The same goes for the doughnut in the front.

He also said the engine mounting bar was fine as long as the car is a side shifter.

I respect both of your opinions, and they differ. WTF.gif

Jeeze ... screwy.gif

AGAIN: That's not a jacking doughnut ... Never was ... Never will be ...

However, it is safe to put a jackstand under the rear donuts as they are (if properly installed) right under the long, which (in a solid car) is strong enough to support the weight.

Please let me know what part of that you don't understand and i try to repeat it for you in REALLY LARGE PRINT ...
WTF.gif Andy

The engine mount bar is fine FOR A JACKSTAND (if it's a sideshifter), but it's NOT A JACKING MOUNT BAR ...

Please let me know what part of that you don't understand and i try to repeat it for you in REALLY LARGE PRINT ...
WTF.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Again...Rick says the engine mounting bar is a no-no for jack stands, and you say it's fine. It's confusing because I said I respect both of your opinions. What's with your fuckin' attitude...have a bad day or something? WTF.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 07:37 PM) *

Again...Rick says the engine mounting bar is a no-no for jack stands, and you say it's fine. It's confusing because I said I respect both of your opinions. What's with your fuckin' attitude...have a bad day or something? WTF.gif

I'm done ... Good luck with your car ...
bye1.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Sorry I upset you by saying I respected your opinion and was confused. I guess the problem is that I remember and give weight to your advice...when it is in direct conflict with soething else you taught me, I ask about it.

On November 12th you said, "There's nothing there to support the weight of the car on the backside of that donut...the same goes for the donut in the front."

On December 7th you said, "It is safe to put a jackstand under the rear donuts as they are right under the long which is strong enough to support the weight."

Now I understand...the rear donut can, and cannot, support the weight of the car. I apologize.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 7 2009, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 07:37 PM) *

I'm done ... Good luck with your car ...
bye1.gif Andy

Joe Bob
Use the donuts on the four corners to lift the car.....

Pull finger out of ass....

Close the fucking thread.....

Asshats....
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 7 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Now I understand..

bs.gif

You read, but you do not understand. Fair enough.

I don't have the patience to reiterate my advice over and over and over again to someone who is not willing to listen.

There's plenty of experienced people here, i'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.