Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 Automatic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
dlo914
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 11 2009, 12:55 PM) *

In the risk of sounding stupid....Which I tend to be....why cant we just use a 944 Trans....will it bolt in a 914 for the most part?

I'm guessing it's similar to the use of 2WD to AWD subaru transmissions. The 2WD trans you don't have to worry about blocking/disabling the the other drive portion of the trans. While the AWD trans you have to purchase a kit to disable and block off the rear drive section of the trans.

What i meant was the 944 trans is located at the rear of the car w/ a driveshaft coming from the front of the car from the engine. While the Audi 5000 version is attached to the engine (like the 914) and there's no messing w/ blocking off the input hole for the driveshaft.

Porsche 928
IPB Image

Audi 5000 (ignore the V8)
IPB Image
ClayPerrine
The 944 trans doesn't have a throwout bearing or arm. It has a tube for the shift linkage to run through the bell housing. The rest of the trans is identical. The driveshaft is clamped to the input shaft on the trans, and a big plate is bolted to the bell housing, adapting it down to the torque tube.

For the most part, the audi and 944 transmissions are interchangeable.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 11 2009, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 11 2009, 12:55 PM) *

In the risk of sounding stupid....Which I tend to be....why cant we just use a 944 Trans....will it bolt in a 914 for the most part?

I'm guessing it's similar to the use of 2WD to AWD subaru transmissions. The 2WD trans you don't have to worry about blocking/disabling the the other drive portion of the trans. While the AWD trans you have to purchase a kit to disable and block off the rear drive section of the trans.

What i meant was the 944 trans is located at the rear of the car w/ a driveshaft coming from the front of the car from the engine. While the Audi 5000 version is attached to the engine (like the 914) and there's no messing w/ blocking off the input hole for the driveshaft.

Porsche 928
IPB Image

Audi 5000 (ignore the V8)
IPB Image

I think that is "Ignore the V12". Nice BMW V12... happy11.gif
computers4kids
I decided to go ahead and clean-up the look of the shifter inside the 914. I removed the the modified console and as you can see further down the end result is a much cleaner look...at least I like it. The gauges will end-up being intergrated into the 3 gauge dash cluster.
Before Picture

IPB Image

As you can see, the shifter is raised up about 1/2 inch, levers from the shifter actually protrude down into the tunnel.

IPB Image

If I wanted, I could cut the shifter mechanism tube that sticks upward and lower it about 4inches without too much problem. I would then either have to shorten the plastic shift mechanism cover or get a large boot. For now, I think I'm going to leave it be.

IPB Image

In this picture you see where normally a CA 75 has an EGR valve placed where the speedometer goes to and then leaves to be routed to the transmission. The cable coming from the Audi transmission is "Audi" and travels up the tunnel to this connector in the passenger foam cutout. The other side of the connector is a porsche speedo cable that travels up to the speedometer. I'm not to sure what this "connector" is but it makes the transfer from Audi part to Porsche part.

IPB Image

The new look... Eventually, I'll put a carpet kit in the car and it should look pretty good.

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Why don't you have an uphostery shop make a leather boot and remove that big plastic uglee thingy.....not like you don't know what gear it's in.
computers4kids
It was raining but wanted to go for a spin around the block. Not quite the "twisty" video that I hoped to first post, but at least it will give you a peak. Next time I'll have to figure out a better way of positioning a camera that will take some bumps...kept loosing the camera's focus from bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN2gZ-nYLA
oldschool
Dude! that's so sweet I think I'm going to make a custom T-Shirt just for you, aktion035.gif what app. is that,and I now I know were to put my iphone rolleyes.gif
any rain inside the car after the drive?
computers4kids
The iphone app is "speed-o-meter"...it's either free or $1, I can't remember. It's pretty darn accurate.
zx-niner
This is so cool! Good for you.
rick 918-S
Porsche missed a market segment with that one! Very Cool!
tat2dphreak
that's awesome, I'm so cutting an iphone jack into my ashtray, now!
jaxdream
Dude , I think you may be able to find a shifter setup that will get it down closer to the tunnel , after all it's just standard automatic shift pattern PRND21 , with some adjusting , you could get it to work. Just take a trip to the Pick& pulls , scope out a shifter , maybe console combo to get the whole mechanisim down some, unless you're totally happy with what you have . My $.02.

P.S. I'm very interested in this setup , as it gives another option for a transmission in a 914.

Jaxdream
pktzygt
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 12 2009, 11:53 PM) *

Porsche missed a market segment with that one! Very Cool!

I agree, it would have been neat to see how a properly engineered factory auto would have turned out. I think George has/had one of the sport-o-matic ones though.
Mike Bellis
I bet a B&M ratchet shifter would fit in there. it comes with adjustable shift arms for the tranny side.
computers4kids
After not being able to find a suitable shifter replacement, I decided to redesign the tall vanagon one that was used. I literally took a good 7 inches off the old shifter. I took several inches off the middle of the bracket and some off the extension rod. It actually was more difficult than I first thought, especially keeping the geometry and throw the same. Anyway, good for now.

I had called Jeggs and it turns out that all the generic shifters they sell, i.e Hurst, B&M are made for American cars and transmissions. sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Looks much better. I like it!
Rand
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 12 2009, 07:55 PM) *

The iphone app is "speed-o-meter"...it's either free or $1, I can't remember. It's pretty darn accurate.

My bike doesn't have a speedo, so I tried several of the iphone apps. My favorite is called "SpeedBox."

Very nice find Mark! One of the most unique 914s around, in a cool way.

I agree, a nice leather boot would be the perfect finish.
JRust
Very nicely done Mark. That looks much better. Still doesn't quite look like it belongs confused24.gif but is closer. How does it drive & shift? driving.gif
TC 914-8
Hey Mark, Great work, Great find.
jaxdream
Not too bad !! I am interested in this conversion , as I would like to do this so the little woman could drive it, besides an automatic 914 would be cool !! piratenanner.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 25 2009, 11:30 AM) *

Very nicely done Mark. That looks much better. Still doesn't quite look like it belongs confused24.gif but is closer. How does it drive & shift? driving.gif

Now that the shifter is cut down, a 930 boot will fit nicely if I decide to go that route. I
hesitate losing the gear selector--it's part of the novelty. I'm not to sure anything is going to look correct, as 914 owners we just don't have any schema for an automati 914. I wonder what Ferry would have designed?
ahdoman
Mark - It looks like you've got it down just a little taller than a stock center console. Why not just try to put one around it and build from there?
Rand
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 25 2009, 12:42 PM) *

hesitate losing the gear selector--it's part of the novelty. I'm not to sure anything is going to look correct, as 914 owners we just don't have any schema for an automati 914. I wonder what Ferry would have designed?

Ferry would have said, lose the plastic console! And one million other peeps here agree! Leather boot! wink.gif
Hint hint. biggrin.gif

morph
idea.gif i like it
james
nomore9one4
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 7 2009, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 7 2009, 09:38 AM) *

My 75 doesn't have the bumper tits they must have been a option.

"Tiny Tits™" are '76 only ... shades.gif

Nice find!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

I had tiny tits on my 75 and it was original. I bought it from the original owner and it was never modified in any way.
computers4kids
I decided to pull the black cover in the trunk today which is where the starter is located at 12:00. Normally there is no starter normally located at 12:00, but the only location that would work in a 914/4--Audi transaxle conversion. I was curious if I could learn more how they made the starter work.

As you can see a "stock 914" starter was used. It was bolted to an adapter that looks like it was custom made. The starter connects to the adapter and the adapter bolts to the adapter plate mated to the 914 motor.
Click to view attachment

Here you can see the two 19mm bolts that secure the starter from the back side of the adapter plate (engine compartment). You can also see the shaft of the bendix gear rides on protruding through part of the adapter plate and part of the edge of the 914 case.
Click to view attachment

An hole was opened-up on the top side of the transmission to expose the teeth on the torque converter. You can see the two bolts that secure the starter. You can't see the bendix shaft hole. If you look at 10:00, you'll see where the starter is normally on this Audi 5000 application.
Click to view attachment

These next two pictures show how an extension was made to space the bendix gear at the right distance so to engage the torque converter teeth properly. You'll also notice the teeth on the bendix gear on the 914 starter is different than the end that meets the torque converter teeth. The extension is held on by three allen bolts. A notch for each of the bolts was cut in the actual 914 bosch starter bendix gear.to lock the extension in place.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I still don't know how the torque converter connects to the 914 crankshaft.
rick 918-S
Very crude looking construction but I really really like it! This was clearly built and designed by a true free thinker. This is how real men build stuff. Just imagine how well this has werked for the former women owner. Pure mechanical function! aktion035.gif
Mike Bellis
That's not bad backyard fabrication. I bet you could buy something to work today. The shop that did the work deffinately has a "thinker" working for them.

Very cool.

I've been thinking about an automatic for my 14. I'm not sure I could fab that trick starter set up. Not sure I would want to.
zx-niner
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 24 2010, 08:02 PM) *

Is that a booster relay in there?
computers4kids
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jan 24 2010, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 24 2010, 08:02 PM) *

Is that a booster relay in there?

Hi Steve!
No, I believe it's connected to the Park/Neutral safety switch on the automatic shifter selector. Essentially it disables the starter when not in park or neutral.
rick 918-S
Great car! Post more photos when you get them.
computers4kids
The mechanic that did the pedal cluster conversion did do a pretty nice job creating the double brake pedal, but I was pretty happy with the ebay auction that I won for $41. AutoAtlanta was selling off what look like a NOS Sportomatc pedal cluster for 914-6. Perfect! piratenanner.gif I was glad to see the auction didn't get much attention. It was a gold find for me. James from Morphenspectra is going to make a carpet kit for me without the clutch pedal slot and no hole for the piece that goes over the tunnel for the shifter. All in all, it should clean up the look nicely.

Haven't decided what to do for a brake pedal pad.
markb
See if the pad from a VW sporto pedal will fit.
Coy
Very cool Car Mark. How do you like driving it?
914werke
This is one cool thread! smile.gif
computers4kids
Boy, I just can't seem to get time to work on this car...too many things going. I did however get the sportomatic pedal cluster installed. Works beautifully.

What's wrong with this one...
The worst thing, one of our boy's car died and we gave him our Honda to get him through his last couple years of school. Consequently, we needed a car so we went out and bought a new Honda. OK...so I have a two car garage, one sbc914 goes insided and guess whose project car got kicked outside...yep this red one. hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Feb 15 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Boy, I just can't seem to get time to work on this car...too many things going. I did however get the sportomatic pedal cluster installed. Works beautifully.

What's wrong with this one...
The worst thing, one of our boy's car died and we gave him our Honda to get him through his last couple years of school. Consequently, we needed a car so we went out and bought a new Honda. OK...so I have a two car garage, one sbc914 goes insided and guess whose project car got kicked outside...yep this red one. hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif

That thing is bitchin! I second the VW sporto pad. Or maybe Mark Whitsell can make you a custom one! idea.gif
hwgunner
Very cool Mark, very cool!

G Man
Very cool and thanks for sharing. I know nothing about Audi's. Do you know what year's of Audi 5000 this transaxle is from. This is really interesting to me. smile.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(G Man @ Mar 2 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Very cool and thanks for sharing. I know nothing about Audi's. Do you know what year's of Audi 5000 this transaxle is from. This is really interesting to me. smile.gif

The transaxle is from an 85 Audi 5000, while the shifter they used was from a vanagon, which I never liked. I just recently had purchased an actual 85 Audi 5000 shifter from a wrecking yard because it looked like it would work much better than the tall vanagon shifter.

With some minor modification the shifter fit perfectly and works beautifully, which really has me a bit baffled why it wasn't used in the first place.

Normally the shifter would be pushing and pulling linkage going from the shifter forward to the transaxle in the Audi. By removing the guide bracket on the shifter that allows for the linkage to push and pull the same but now the linkage goes from the shifter back the transaxle towards the rear of the 914. Essentially the principal it works on is the same. All the gears hit perfectly with this setup.

The shifter now is mounted very close to the tunnel and looks like it belongs. As soon as the carpet kit arrives I'll snap a completed picture with it mounted.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JRust
I think you should drive it to Route 66 next week just to show me in person blink.gif

This is probably one of those total photoshoped threads. I bet this car doesn't even exist happy11.gif
computers4kids
I finally had some time this week to completely give the interior a make-over. Installed the 85 Audi shifter, gutted the interior, media blasted everthing that could be refurbished, repainted, new custom carpet kit by morph, and new seals where appropriate. I'm very please with how well it all cleaned-up and shifts beautifully. piratenanner.gif You can see how the Audi shifter fits perfectly in the 914 tunnel. I tried a 930 boot just for fun but it's a bit to tight to go over the mechanism. Anyway, whether I have a boot made or stay with the plastic cover, the interior is done. I also added a combo gauge in the dash.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Looks fantastic!!!
markb
Nice job, Mark!
Coy
That interior looks great!
messix
please throw that plastic thing in the garbage.
this may work http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/397/M-72...roductId=757434
Katmanken
That new shifter looks great.

A smaller plastic housing might look better but that is something you can be on the lookout for.

Drive it like you stole it.
Jacob
That shifter looks so much better!
Rand
Oh man, SOOOO much better, but yet just not quite there. I'm with Troy. Lose the plastic crapper rigid console and find a classy boot!! Close! So close to perfection. Soft boot all the way!!!! Dude, congrats on an epic cool 914!
computers4kids
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 20 2010, 11:23 AM) *

please throw that plastic thing in the garbage.

OK............OK smile.gif
Finally found a real nice boot that would fit the 914 interior decor and work well with the automatic audi shifter. The boot is actually mounted with bolts through the carpet and onto a thin piece of sheet metal shaped to the width of the tunnel and about 27mm long. A hole for the shifter is cut in the sheet metal. You just lower the hole unit, carpet and all over the shifter shaft and down to meet the tunnel. The sheet metal attaches to the tunnel in three places under the carpet. It turned out very clean and allows for quick access to the tunnel (like lifting the hood of a car) biggrin.gif if need be.

Summit Boot: Lokar X70BHRB - Lokar Midnight Series
Next, replacing all the brake pads and turning the rotors.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.