914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Bill Smith
Click to view attachment

the link to the site is http://www.nationalroadrally.com/914cookout.html

Where - Cumberland, Maryland
When - Sept 18 Saturday, and Sept 19 Sunday

Autocross Saturday - Cumberland Regional Airport, Wiley Ford - West Virginia
Registration 7:30 - 9:00 AM Can and should Preregister thru mail or www.myautoevents.com. Cost $35

Satuday After Autocross Picnic at Dr. McCaugh's Starts 4:00 PM
The picnic is fully stocked with food, beverages and beer. All you need to bring is you Cost for the picnic is $20 per person. There are also numerous restored cars in 2 museums at the picnic.

Lodging - Cumberland has plenty of hotel choices, Camping is allowed at the airport, also Camping is provided at one of our 914 guys house about 10 miles from the airport.

Alcohol policy is bring what you want to consume, there can be no open alcohol during the Autocross Sat or Sunday.

Drop off of Cars is allowed Friday at the airport and we will probably have a get together Friday night in Cumberland at the Friday after 5pm city party.

We will have a few Folding canopies and some chairs available, please bring a chair

Link to the official site is http://www.nationalroadrally.com/914cookout.html

other area attractions can be found at http://www.mdmountainside.com

Bill Smith's email is Wm.Smith@atk.com for questions
Click to view attachment

thanks, Bill
VaccaRabite
Bill has been trying to get us over to Cumberland now for 2 years, and I think this could be a fun way to celebrate the ECC. I'm looking forward to it, as it will be the first event I'll be able to atend without the specter of grad school the following Monday.

Bill could you tell us more about the camping? Would we be able to set up a 914 specific area? Could non AX folks come and hang out and watch the runs, party, camp, etc? Got pics? Is there a flat fee we could get worked up for the event that would include food, runs, and camping?

I will help plan as much as I can, but I don't know how much that will be as I polish off my schooling.

Zach
zymurgist
Cumberland is a day trip from Leitersburg. With a 15+ year old dog, it's a major plus for me. thumb3d.gif
type47
If you offer chowtime.gif and beer3.gif they will come. Add to that driving.gif and it should be a hit
JmuRiz
Maybe my 914 will be back in a state of 'running' at that time. Could be fun...about a 2.5 hour drive from Arlington.
type47
We drove up to Kerry Herrs in Kennett Square in about 2.5 hrs so Cumberland should be doable. This time I'm campin' out...
plas76targa
This sounds good, but would SCCA and the Corvette folks accept a bunch of partying NARPS like us? Regardless, an AutoX along with ECC would be a first!
VaccaRabite
From what Bill was telling me, there is already a small cadre of 914 owners that show to this A/X. I have been wanting to go for years, but have been too busy. Cumberland is BEAUTIFUL country, too.

Zach
pktzygt
Sounds like a plan to me. I'll plan on it.
Bill Smith
The autocross is really set up for this type of thing. There is a fence between the runs and the spectators. So almost all of the course except for one tunr can be seen from this perspective. The club is very open to all cars from a beat up green MGB that runs to the entire Pittsburg Steel City Corvette club to the DC Cobra Club and several other clubs. The autocross overs Instructors to ride along for those newbees at no added cost. Anyone can come to the Saturday night picnic for the $10 or 15 ticket where they provide food, soda, beer, and alot of car talk. there are several people that camp out at the parking area with there cars and one of the 914 guys (Steve Lutz - formally from Calif. that drives a look-a-like Davey Allison 914 #28) has offered his place as well.

There could be about 6 local 914s there from my beat up street 75 to the Pfieffers 59 Orange - Bromos look-a-like. The Aircooled 914s could possibly show up if they arent doing anything that weekend but it might be a stretch.

The bottom line is that it is not a Stuck up SCCA type event - its a down to earth nice low key event for the fun of doing it.

The website www.nationalroadrally.com has alot of info for the events.

There is alot of space - so getting the cars in one spot will not be a concern at the autocross and Steves place is wide open but his basement is full of all of his California trophies from events he won - so you might have to listen to that type of stories.

zymurgist
One question: will there actually be a cookout? wink.gif
Bill Smith
Click to view attachmentwe will be there
Bill Smith
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jan 1 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Is there any interest?
scotty b
Oh yeah that thing. idea.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 15 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Oh yeah that thing. idea.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif

Scotty, you need to come down for the MUSR also, on me.
VaccaRabite
yep! Looking forward to it!
type47
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jun 15 2010, 05:35 PM) *

Is there any interest?

Yes! I would say don't be too concerned that there is not alot of commitment this far in advance of the event. Maybe the best thing to do is have agreement on the location and announce the event on all boards to make sure all have a chance to know about it.
plas76targa
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Jan 1 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Hey Bill, where's this photo taken? ECC 2007?
zymurgist
Crooked antenna on the left white car... looks like Babydoll to me.
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 16 2010, 06:20 AM) *

the left white car... looks like Babydoll to me.

agree.gif sail panel trim with no sail panel vinyl. Car to the right looks like norustscott's. Wonder what's up w/Scott. Setting looks like Matt's.
stepuptotheMike
ECC 2007... the last one I was able to make.... sniff

Click to view attachment

Mike

VaccaRabite
I missed last year due to a house full of sickness - myself included. Unless there is an equally catastrophic event this year, no way am I going to miss it!

Zach
plas76targa
Well that answers my question - Bill's picture was from my front yard. I recognized the neighbor's garage and fence in the background.

Let's support this idea of Bill's and plan on attending ECC2010 in Cumberland, MD.

[sshh, I'll host a warm-up event in August. 3rd annual BBQ. watch for separate post soon.]
zymurgist
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jun 16 2010, 12:15 PM) *

ECC 2007... the last one I was able to make.... sniff

Click to view attachment

Mike

yep, that looks like Caroline in the driveway there.
jimkelly
this is how i remember it - but i do drink too much : )
zymurgist
aktion035.gif
crash914
yea, yea, yea......no car yet, but I will help fund......beer, beer......beer....

lets do it!
flipb
I'm kind of impatient... Anybody in the DC Metro (broadly defined) interested in a get-together for brunch and a drive? OR an afternoon drive and a drink? Sometime in July or Aug?
JmuRiz
I'm totally game for an ad-hoc GTG. I'm out of town the last week of July, but I'm game for any other time.

The 914 is in need of a carb cleaning and tune-up, so I may be in the 356, if that's ok. I haven't made an appointment with ASG yet for the 914.
zymurgist
Not volunteering anyone for this... wink.gif

but a pool party would be nice with all this heat!
type47
QUOTE(flipb @ Jul 7 2010, 07:21 AM) *

Anybody in the DC Metro (broadly defined) interested in a get-together for brunch and a drive? OR an afternoon drive and a drink? Sometime in July or Aug?

PCA Potomac tech this Sun 9-2. Put your car up on a lift for DIY.
plas76targa
PCA Chesapeak has an AutoX in Sykesville, MD this Sat. Come on out so I'm not the only 914 there.

Ken - you can stop by on your way home from work to splash in the pool.
zymurgist
Hey Matt,

As my dog gets older and more invalid, I'm working from home a lot. But I would like to stop by... just need to know when a good time would be. Heck, I'm even up to riding on the 15 on Dirty Girl. biker.gif
crash914
Matt, what time is the autox?

Might drive by on the bike to say Hi...
MikeSpraggi
Bill, I'm up for a trip to Cumberland. Don't think I'll AX, but the event sounds like fun. biggrin.gif
firstknight13
biggrin.gif hello all we will be there when it happens.....ray
hot_shoe914
I hope all you east coast guys come down to the Dragon in October. You will be glad you did and you will meet teener owners that you might not otherwise meet.
okieflyr
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 7 2010, 09:05 PM) *

The car is looking nice Ray!
plas76targa
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 7 2010, 02:39 PM) *

Matt, what time is the autox?

Might drive by on the bike to say Hi...

Gates open at 8 am. first runs are around 10 am.
VaccaRabite
The Dragon is not going to happen for me this year, though I would love to do it. My work schedule is only allowing one excursion per season - and barely even that. That being said, October would be the season to hit the Dragon in my car.

Zach
firstknight13
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jul 8 2010, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 7 2010, 09:05 PM) *

The car is looking nice Ray!

flattery will get you no where !!!! coming from you that means a lot....thanks, ray
type47
icon_bump.gif the other thread.
scotty b
So we are now about 2 months out. I assume that all the regulars are planning to attend confused24.gif Hopefully some non-regulars and even some newbies beerchug.gif beerchug.gif I also assume the plan is still to do the A.X. Bill initially mentioned confused24.gif Either way I'll be there in the fo-fo driving.gif

Oh and Ken asked about a cookout ? That is a MUST mad.gif
type47
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2010, 01:47 PM) *

... about a cookout ? That is a MUST mad.gif

First post announced a picnic Sat night with Corvette club or some such. Cost $15. Do we rub elbows with Vetter's? Did Porsche beat the Corvettes at Le Mans this year? Maybe we can convince them that they really are Porsches...
scotty b
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 11 2010, 02:45 PM) *

First post announced a picnic Sat night with Corvette club or some such. Cost $15. Do we rub elbows with Vetter's? Did Porsche beat the Corvettes at Le Mans this year? Maybe we can convince them that they really are Porsches...

HMmmm missed that part. Reading really is fundamental rolleyes.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 11 2010, 06:45 PM) *

Maybe we can convince them that they really are Porsches...

The hell you say! bootyshake.gif

okieflyr
This is my kind of event and I can't go THAT weekend! headbang.gif
type47
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2010, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 11 2010, 02:45 PM) *

HMmmm missed that part. Reading really is fundamental rolleyes.gif

Yea and going back and rereading the info and I don't see the word FOOD connected to picnic. I see soft drinks, beer refreshments but not FOOD. We could cook at the campsite stirthepot.gif chowtime.gif
type47
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Dec 29 2009, 07:56 PM) *

The autocross is really set up for this type of thing. There is a fence between the runs and the spectators. So almost all of the course except for one tunr can be seen from this perspective. The club is very open to all cars from a beat up green MGB that runs to the entire Pittsburg Steel City Corvette club to the DC Cobra Club and several other clubs. The autocross overs Instructors to ride along for those newbees at no added cost. Anyone can come to the Saturday night picnic for the $10 or 15 ticket where they provide food, soda, beer, and alot of car talk.

DOH!
type47
In an effort to make sure as many people know about this and are kept informed, I thought I'd make an email list and send out a note when some info is posted. No email addresses will be shared. If you check 914world often enough that you don't need or want a note, that's OK too. If this is something you'd like, PM me your email address and I'll save it in an Excel file to use as an email list. Tell your friends that you might think would be interested in attending the ECC 2010.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.