Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crashed 914 in Malaysia - Opinions please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JoeSharp
Thanks Bruce, let me know if I can help.
Mr.242
Did we check on the seat cushion? Is it needed?
lol-2.gif

I jest in the humor because he has the option to rebuild and to learn from the mistake. Yes a mistake........it's all good.

He should smile, it could be his girlfriend, wife, or whomever who got pregnant......then it's payments for a very long time! WRECKING is cool.....he had that thing right to the edge but just went a touch too far. VERY FEWpeople have ever done that.

I meant NO attack on his driving; none. Just my job coming thru to ask questions about the collision. I'm always looking. I then typed my thoughts....

In my line of work we have TWO classifications of people:
1)Those who have wrecked.
2) Those who have YET to wreck.
Everyone makes it into one of these categories in their career of driving! happy11.gif

Here's to seeing the thing back on the road! beerchug.gif

Mark

p.s. My kids don't have a chance when they put the family truckster into the ditch and claim "I wasn't going that fast!" headbang.gif
maf914
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 1 2010, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Jan 1 2010, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 1 2010, 01:01 PM) *

Me says there is some engeneering issue with that security device.

My understanding is that the guard rail is set far too high for a 914.
The front of the car slipped under the guard rail and the car hit at least two poles.
This is a total failure of the security equipement.

(I believe the guard rail NOT to be in that design and TO BE shoved into the weird bow due to impact)
I DO NOT believe it to be a sign post or some sort of turn warning. The TWO poles seen on the picture are the same as seen behind the car supporting the guard rail.

Isn't that just what that type of barrier is supposed to do? I was pretty sure that they are sacrificial in order to dissipate the energy, ARMCO was a great invention that has probably saved as many lives as seatbelts, IMHO.

The poles aren't supposed to be that "agressive"

This discussion reminds me of the fatal accident in which Francois Cevert was killed when his F1 Tyrell Ford submarined the armco at Watkins Glen in the 70's. There is no question armco type barriers work when the accident is within the performance parameters of the barriers and the vehicle is contained, but get underneath the barriers and all bets are off. If you look at most new or renovated racing circuits, armco use is much more limited than in the past, having been replaced with concrete barriers, SAFER barriers, and tire walls.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 2 2010, 12:03 PM) *

1) Can you tell us if he removed the proportioning valve?

Does that mean i'm going to die? huh.gif
Kirmizi
Andy... lol-2.gif
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Eventually....happens to the best (or should I say all) of us. biggrin.gif
jimtab

Yes, ANdy, like everyone else, you are going to die.....sorry.
JoeSharp
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 2 2010, 10:40 PM) *

I am working with Meng to determine the best way to get him a very clean 1970 roller that I have.

smilie_pokal.gif
Rotary'14
Just seeing these pics make me want to cry (really) I killed one,, (some might say it needed killing), and now Meng's is on life support.

I say send Meng a shell,, I can only send him a clean driver door and probably a good windshield frame and a decent hood.

-Rob
Mr.242

NO ONE gets out alive....hate to ruin the ending.

But if one was to remove the proportioning valve and jam on the brakes causing the rear to lock.....SPIN, it rear comes to the front.

Last time I checked, that wasn't a good thing. confused24.gif

Just curiosity, but I don't need an answer. I hope the car will be rebuilt, it needs to be back on the road. It's just in ICU at the moment is how I see it.

Bring it back!!! Build it and do it again...... Take that turn and make it your BITCH!
sheeplove.gif
aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 13 2010, 07:47 AM) *

NO ONE gets out alive....hate to ruin the ending.
But if one was to remove the proportioning valve and jam on the brakes causing the rear to lock.....SPIN, it rear comes to the front.
Last time I checked, that wasn't a good thing. confused24.gif

You are making a very general statement that makes a lot of assumptions ...

- I removed the proportioning valve
- I replaced it with a "T"
- My front brakes lock up just before the rear brakes

Why? Because i neither have stock brake calipers nor stock brake pads nor stock brake rotors nor a stock brake master cylinder.

Your comment concentrates on one single component in a complete braking system. Without knowing any other modifications made to the brake system, your comment about the prop valve is useless.

Now if you had said "On a stock braking system, removing the prop valve is dangerous" i would completely agree with you.

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.