Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Steel Flare Group Buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mepstein
Official Steel Flare Group Buy

George Hussey, the owner of Automobile Atlanta, has offered a group buy special on his reproduction 914-6 GT steel flares. These flares are NLA from Porsche and have been successfully reproduced by Auto Atlanta. More facts about these flares are available at www.autoatlanta.com

The special, one time, discount price is $550.00 per set. Shipping to the lower 48 will be $50.00, shipped Fed Ex. Regular price in the Auto Atlanta catalogue is $1,095 + shipping. If you live outside the lower 48, please send $600/sets ordered and additional shipping charges will be determined by Auto Atlanta prior to shipping.

If you purchase flares under the package deal, you may also buy a set of duplicate GT rockers for an extra 150.00 + $35 shipping. Regular catalog price is $225.00 +shipping. Fiberglass rockers are measured from a factory 914-6 GT. Again, additional shipping charges outside the lower 48.

The flare order ends on January 31st 2010. Within about 2 weeks of George receiving payment, he will start production. I would imagine we could expect to receive flares by the end of February.

Payment will be in the form of USPS money order made out to Automobile Atlanta. The only way to hold your place and receive a set at this incredible price is to have payment to me by January 31st. Please do not send checks or ask about other forms of payment, we do not have the means to accept anything other than money orders. Money orders sell for $2.00 at your local post office. George would like all questions and payments to be first directed at myself, so he and his staff do not spend extra time and resources on the transaction. I will do my best to answer questions and will contact George or his staff if needed.

Please mail your money order to me and include the following:
Name
Address
Phone
# of flare sets and optional GT rocker sets ordered.

Please send me an email Mark@MarkEpstein.net with your full name and # of flare sets ordered so I can keep a running tally and have a check against money orders received.

Thank you,

Mark Epstein
5307 Limestone Road, Suite 100
Wilmington, DE 19808

302-355-0684
r_towle
Can we get a more firm date on delivery for this run?

Rich
pktzygt
Expect a check from me.
Todd Enlund
Damn! That's killer... $150 lower than the buy that I organized.
GeorgeRud
Thank George for going out on a limb and making these available at all. No business wants to spend money if it doesn't have to these days. If he's able to make a profit on them and get a a larger number made, it allows him to get the tooling costs amoratized much easier, and may allow more neat parts to become available in the future.

I've always been happy that people like Auto Atlanta, Vellios, Wevo, PMO, etc. have had the courage and guts to make unique parts available for a rather small, select market. Keep up the good work! thumb3d.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 9 2010, 10:59 AM) *

Can we get a more firm date on delivery for this run?

Rich

Well, I don't work at Auto Atlanta but if I had to guess...
Send money to AA
Production ~1 week later,
Post production,
Delivery to AA,
Pack and ship to customer
~1 month?

Probably hard to give an exact date because of all the different people who touch the flares but from what George told me, an end of February date is reasonable. Perhaps the organizer from the last group buy/George could chime in. Since AA is out of stock, this group buy is the fastest way to get a set at a price that can't be beat. Thanks, Mark
jsayre914
rolleyes.gif
Mabey this thread needs some motivational pictures (awesome flared cars)

At that price I was also thinking about it. What eles exactly is involved other than the welding and painting. Can you keep the stock suspension the same and use spacers, or is that silly. Do you have to go 5 lug to get wheels that look right??

idea.gif
GeorgeRud
Anything can be done with enough money (4 lug custom wheels can be made), but I think most folks use the readily available 5 lug wheels from the 911 line.
McMark
Custom wheels aside, you'll have to go five lug to really take advantage of the flares.

The sets of AA flares I've seen have always been impressive, and that price is nearly as cheap as fiberglass. cool_shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 10 2010, 01:02 AM) *

Custom wheels aside, you'll have to go five lug to really take advantage of the flares.

The sets of AA flares I've seen have always been impressive, and that price is nearly as cheap as fiberglass. cool_shades.gif

Do you think there is anything wrong with using 2" spacers with the stock 2.0 fuch alloys. I wasn't planning on changing the suspention when I install the flares. I know I won't get the advantage of wider rubber but I like the look of the flares and the four lug wheels.
mepstein
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 9 2010, 11:24 PM) *

rolleyes.gif
Mabey this thread needs some motivational pictures (awesome flared cars)

At that price I was also thinking about it. What eles exactly is involved other than the welding and painting. Can you keep the stock suspension the same and use spacers, or is that silly. Do you have to go 5 lug to get wheels that look right??

idea.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 9 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Anything can be done with enough money (4 lug custom wheels can be made), but I think most folks use the readily available 5 lug wheels from the 911 line.

The really cheap way to go is to buy a set of four to five lug adaptors and then purchase a set of seven inch fuchs repros and bolt them on. Another way is to purchase 7.5 and 8.5 boxster wheels and bolt them on with the four to five lug wheel adaptors. That will give the 914 an updated rather than vintage look.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have several cars here with the steel flares installed including the old extreme (many of you are probably familiar with it) I will post a few.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here is a car that Craig Laughlin at the Camp sold us. It went to Germany. Had our steel flares and a four to five lug conversion that we sell installed. Craig had factory fuchs on it and we really liked the silver center color.Click to view attachment
nsyr
Count me in
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 9 2010, 07:47 AM) *

Payment will be in the form of USPS money order made out to Automobile Atlanta. The only way to hold your place and receive a set at this incredible price is to have payment to me by January 31st. Please do not send checks or ask about other forms of payment, we do not have the means to accept anything other than money orders. Money orders sell for $2.00 at your local post office.

confused24.gif

Never done a money order. What's wrong with a check? No means to accept a check?
confused24.gif Andy
hot_shoe914
Guess I will miss out again. This is too short of n.itice to come up with the extra money unless I skip out on the Buttercup build in Kansas. I would have een good for a couple of sets after February but I am committed to the Kansas trip. I also noticed you didn't mention anything about that price being dependent on a minimum 40 sets being sold. Has that changed now & 550.00 is the price regardless of how many are so,d?

Donald
mepstein
We've had a really good response so far with quite a few members emailing me that the money orders are on the way. I counted 40 hands up when George placed his initial post for gauging interest in a group buy. Some of the vendors asked for 2-3 sets so I'm hoping we hear from you soon. At this price, it might make sense to keep a couple sets in stock. The GT look is getting more popular and the flares are the most obvious feature. They also give you the opportunity for wider wheels and tires. We are going to hit the 40+ number for sets ordered - Failure is not an option! So let your 'teener friends know that they need to order a set too. Thanks guys, Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 12 2010, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 9 2010, 07:47 AM) *

Payment will be in the form of USPS money order made out to Automobile Atlanta. The only way to hold your place and receive a set at this incredible price is to have payment to me by January 31st. Please do not send checks or ask about other forms of payment, we do not have the means to accept anything other than money orders. Money orders sell for $2.00 at your local post office.

confused24.gif

Never done a money order. What's wrong with a check? No means to accept a check?
confused24.gif Andy

I don't think Auto Atlanta wants to take personal checks (they would have to wait for them to clear and we have members ordering sets from other countries -Japan, Germany, ect.) and I do not want to take a check with my name on it, deposit it and then pay AA. That would not be safe for the members. Money orders are easy and safe - $2.00 at your local post office minutes before you drop it in the mail.
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 12 2010, 01:10 PM) *

Guess I will miss out again. This is too short of n.itice to come up with the extra money unless I skip out on the Buttercup build in Kansas. I would have een good for a couple of sets after February but I am committed to the Kansas trip. I also noticed you didn't mention anything about that price being dependent on a minimum 40 sets being sold. Has that changed now & 550.00 is the price regardless of how many are so,d?

Donald

We will sell 40 sets! I have also listed on Club, Roadglue, Pelican, Rennlist, and Samba. If the racers wil post on the racing/ax sites, that would be great!

Thanks, Mark
enikolayev
Count me in as well. Will send the money order in a few days.
jkrobb2001
Mark,
If you order 2 sets is it 100$ for shipping? Also if 2 sets of rockers then 70$ shipping for rockers? Any combined shipping? Should we include shipping with initial money order? Thanks, Jeff smile.gif
mepstein
Jeff-
QUOTE(jkrobb2001 @ Jan 12 2010, 04:34 PM) *

Mark,
If you order 2 sets is it 100$ for shipping? Yes
Also if 2 sets of rockers then 70$ shipping for rockers? Yes
Any combined shipping? Not that I'm aware of. If there is, AA can make an adjustment later but I would not count on it. If you look at what it costs to pack and ship an item like this, $50 is very good.
Should we include shipping with initial money order? Yes please.

A set of flares and rockers+shipping should total $785

Thanks, Jeff smile.gif

Remember - Every set (or 2) ordered benefits the entire group. And please, make all money orders out to Automobile Atlanta - not me. Thank you, Mark
mepstein
What my teener will (almost) look like when Scotty B gets done...
VaccaRabite
how many sets are currently accounted for?

I am on the fence on this one, but the price is hard to turn down. You could flip them at Hershey for a quick profit.
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 14 2010, 03:00 PM) *

how many sets are currently accounted for?

I am on the fence on this one, but the price is hard to turn down. You could flip them at Hershey for a quick profit.

We will have 40 sets sold so everyone can get the $550 price.

I am receiving orders from Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan in addition to members from roadglue, pelican, club and samba.
kconway
Wow! Checks in hand for 40 sets in a week is pretty amazing... smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 14 2010, 04:08 PM) *

We WILL have 40 sets sold. Check are coming in but it's only been 5 days since thread went live. Thanks, Mark
Gudhjem
My money order went in the mail today.
kconway
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2010, 01:18 PM) *

We WILL have 40 sets sold. Check are coming in but it's only been 5 days since thread went live. Thanks, Mark

Oh, my bad. Interesting...not trying to knock this but I'll be pretty surprised if you can get 40 sold in a reasonable amount of time. There has been several prior buys and I can't imagine there are 40 more who follow through. The real expense is the installation and when that realization sets in, the numbers drop. Also, hopefully you didn't double counts raised hands since alot of folks play in each of those forums in different names.

Good luck, your enthusiasm is exactly what a group buy needs.

aktion035.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 14 2010, 05:26 PM) *
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2010, 01:18 PM) *

Oh, my bad. Interesting...not trying to knock this but I'll be pretty surprised if you can get 40 sold in a reasonable amount of time. There has been several prior buys and I can't imagine there are 40 more who follow through.

* We should have 10 sets purchased just from the overseas members. I'd rather get this done quickly than have it drag out too long. I'm hoping members can have the flares in there hand begining of March.

I received 5 emails like this today;
Hi Mark.
Just sent my money order for $785 to you. Thanks again for coordinating this.
--Steve
1 set flares
1 set GT rockers
Steve M

The real expense is the installation and when that realization sets in, the numbers drop.

* I bet the members could get a group flare build together similar to the transmission clinic (past) and rust repair (future). East coast/mid/west coast. Drive in, weld, drive out. Production line style. Scotty B offered me a good price since I'm getting him to paint my car.

Also, hopefully you didn't double counts raised hands since alot of folks play in each of those forums in different names.

* I didn't take any of the hands too seriously, I'm counting members who are sending checks.

Good luck, your enthusiasm is exactly what a group buy needs.

* Thank you. Real estate is sort of slow this time of year so I'm having fun with this stuff. Just bought new calipers, rotors, ect, ect from Eric Shea/PMB. Bunch of small parts from AA and Pelican. Planning on talking to Jake Raby for one of his killer 4's. Mark

aktion035.gif
mepstein
1 week into group flare buy! Order your set now! This deal will not be repeated soon and maybe never at this price. A set sold recently on roadglue for $800 in 24 hours. Don't miss this great opportunity.
tomeric914
Bumping this to the top. You won't find this deal again! driving.gif
JazonJJordan
Fantastic. In for one complete set; possibly two. Thanks guys.
michaelt55
I am on the fence on this one... whats the count?

Michael
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jan 18 2010, 11:46 PM) *

Michael

How about ""on the flare" on this one"" Michael???
tomeric914
I think this thread should be a STICKY at least until the group buy is over.

If you're on the fence, fall over to the flared side!
mepstein
I just received 5 more checks today with many more members telling me the checks are in the mail.

Buy Flares
Buy Flares
Buy Flares
andys
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2010, 10:50 AM) *

Donald

We will sell 40 sets! I have also listed on Club, Roadglue, Pelican, Rennlist, and Samba. If the racers wil post on the racing/ax sites, that would be great!

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I'm not sure what your answer was to Donald's question. What happens to our $550 if we fall short of 40 sets? Will you ask for more money to cover any cost differential, or do we have the option to have the funds returned and our order cancelled on an individual basis?

I need to get to the Post Office to purchase the cashiers check/money order; one set of flares here.

Andys
hcdmueller
Any idea how much shipping would be for USPS to an APO address? I won't flare the car I have but one car is never enough.
mepstein
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jan 19 2010, 12:00 PM) *

Any idea how much shipping would be for USPS to an APO address? I won't flare the car I have but one car is never enough.

We had another member ask and George said AA often sends to APO and FPO addresses. My understanding is there shouldn't be any additional shipping cost since flares weigh 22lbs and ship out of NY. Definately order a set for future builds. Or sell them for big $ profit overseas!
mepstein
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 19 2010, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2010, 10:50 AM) *

Donald

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I'm not sure what your answer was to Donald's question. What happens to our $550 if we fall short of 40 sets? Will you ask for more money to cover any cost differential, or do we have the option to have the funds returned and our order cancelled on an individual basis?

I need to get to the Post Office to purchase the cashiers check/money order; one set of flares here.

Andys

I'll just trade all the money orders in to AA for a 914-6 :>)
No, really, I'll let the members decide what to do. But if all the people telling me, "the checks in the mail", put the check in the mail, we'll have 40 sets.
mepstein
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jan 19 2010, 01:46 AM) *

Michael

39 sets, we're just waiting on you. :>)
mepstein
Flares
kfish914
I put the money order in the mail today biggrin.gif should be on your door step by Fri-Sat.
sixgt
Can I do one set of flares and two sets of rockers? I was in on the last group buy. Lmk, thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(sixgt @ Jan 19 2010, 06:45 PM) *

Can I do one set of flares and two sets of rockers? I was in on the last group buy. Lmk, thanks!

yes, I'm sure we can work it out
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2010, 03:03 PM) *

* I bet the members could get a group flare build together similar to the transmission clinic (past) and rust repair (future). East coast/mid/west coast. Drive in, weld, drive out. Production line style. Scotty B offered me a good price since I'm getting him to paint my car.

That would be awesome. The welder could be running constantly, but jumping from car to car to allow the metal time to cool in between beads. welder.gif
david63
Money order sent today. Thanks for handling this
mepstein
Mike from Spain is ordering 5 sets! Woo Hoo!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.