Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Narrow body fuch 7R fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomkirkcis
.I have been running searches for a couple of hours but can't find any info on fitment of 7r fuchs on a 914.

I have a narrow body 1970 factory 914-6 that has a hot 3.2SS motor and a close ratio LSD box Dr Evil built for me. It currently has 205/50 on 6 x 15 fuchs. Not enough tire .

I have some AA metal flairs I got in a group buy a couple of years ago that I inteneded to install. I have four 9 x 16 fuchs that I was going to install all around . Certainly would take care things

I am having second thoughts about installing flairs. It is just so much fun having a stock looking 914 with a big motor.

I have access to a set of 4 7r Fuchs with 225/50 Brigestones. These are the Fuchs with the large backspacing

Is anyone have 7Rs fitted to a narrow body?
What tires can you fit?
What spacers?

Thanks
Tom
dr914@autoatlanta.com

The seven rsr wheel fits great with a 205 but not 225 unless the fender lip is adjusted ruining the stock look
I would agree that if you have a nice car with a big engine keep the stock wheel wells. A real sleeper!
] On the other hand making a 914 into a GT clone is the rage these days much like the guys are doing with the 911 models turning them into an rs. The best candidates for this conversion are the 964 models.

I would not put 9 inch in the front only 7 inch. You do not need them and it will affect turn in.

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Jan 23 2010, 09:38 AM) *

.I have been running searches for a couple of hours but can't find any info on fitment of 7r fuchs on a 914.

I have a narrow body 1970 factory 914-6 that has a hot 3.2SS motor and a close ratio LSD box Dr Evil built for me. It currently has 205/50 on 6 x 15 fuchs. Not enough tire .

I have some AA metal flairs I got in a group buy a couple of years ago that I inteneded to install. I have four 9 x 16 fuchs that I was going to install all around . Certainly would take care things

I am having second thoughts about installing flairs. It is just so much fun having a stock looking 914 with a big motor.

I have access to a set of 4 7r Fuchs with 225/50 Brigestones. These are the Fuchs with the large backspacing

What tires can you fit?
What spacers?

Thanks
Tom

underthetire
I have the large backspace 16X7 dials on my narrow body (wish I could be called that) with spacers. 205/50/16 is all that will fit without doing a tug and pull. 1 1/4 " spacers on mine. Your results may vary. BTW, even the 205's get wider with the 7" rim, it spreads them out a bit.
campbellcj
There are other options for flares besides the factory GT style, for example the Tangerine Racing / Chris Foley setup, 911 flares, or hammer & dolly stretching/shrinking of the existing metal. I am planning to go the Tangerine flare route as I feel the same as you about a "sleeper" stock looking car. I am loosely following the 911R type of concept i.e. lightweight, high power, narrow body. Plus I just don't like the tacked-on look of the GT flares vs something that follows the normal body lines.

I suspect it would make a big difference if you could get to 8's with 225's. You get the sidewalls straight and nearly 1" more rubber on the ground compared to 205's.

I am currently running 205's on 16x7's all around, and I am hoping to get to 225's on 8's if not 245's on 9's in the rear and at least 225's in the front as well.
tomkirkcis
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:44 AM' post='1264876']
The seven rsr wheel fits great with a 205 but not 225 unless the fender lip is adjusted ruining the stock look

Dr.
When you mention rsr wheels, are we speaking about the same early 7R with 49mm offset? Does that mean 205's are max regardless of wheel?

burton73
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 23 2010, 08:44 AM) *

I would agree that if you have a nice car with a big engine keep the stock wheel wells. A real sleeper!
] On the other hand making a 914 into a GT clone is the rage these days much like the guys are doing with the 911 models turning them into an rs. The best candidates for this conversion are the 964 models.

I would not put 9 inch in the front only 7 inch. You do not need them and it will affect turn in.

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Jan 23 2010, 09:38 AM) *

What tires can you fit?
What spacers?

Thanks
Tom

George,

I plan to run 8" 16 up front and 9" 16 in the back of my 6 #41 with your flares. Roll the lips and put an Elephant front turn limiter so the front tires do not scrape the inner fender wells. No spacers.

Tom,

The picture shown is of my V8 car with 7” x 16 Fuchs 911 offset. The lip is rolled. This car is getting 951 offset 7” and 8” Fuchs with 245 rears and 225 fronts.

There are pictures of people on this board running 8” 951 wheels with just a small bit of adjustment to the stock body. The 8” 951 look just like the 7” 911 wheel and need just the lip rolled. One of them will step up or you may find it in the search area. 8 rear 7 front

Bob
Click to view attachment
tomkirkcis
I have a pair of 951 8 x 16 that I bought as a possible front wheel if I installed the flares. Are you telling me it may fit a narrow body rear?

If so, with what rubber?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
[quote name='tomkirkcis' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:22 AM' post='1264911']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Jan 23 2010, 11:44 AM' post='1264876']

Dr.
When you mention rsr wheels, are we speaking about the same early 7R with 49mm offset? Does that mean 205's are max regardless of wheel?
[/quote]

yes and yes the sevens would look great under the fenders, those wheels are expensive though. Nice that you found them. I would never semi flare the rear arches though. Looks bad unless you do it the way Porsche did with the eight cylinder. But with the sevens you will not need to and as you said at first you will have a great handling sleeper!
burton73
Tom,

This is a picture of sixnotfour car wit 245-45-16 SO-s’s on 951 8’s roll the lip and pull a little. You still keep the stock body. That is what I have and am doing, as 400 ft lb with a LSD on a 930 should keep the rubber from spinning too much.

Bob
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 23 2010, 01:56 PM) *

Tom,

This is a picture of sixnotfour car wit 245-45-16 SO-s’s on 951 8’s roll the lip and pull a little. You still keep the stock body. That is what I have and am doing, as 400 ft lb with a LSD on a 930 should keep the rubber from spinning too much.

Bob
Click to view attachment

wow you have some good negative camber going there!
brant
you actually might get the 225's depending on the car
I'm running 215's on the 14inch rims... these very rims and tires were on a stock 914/6 fendered car at one time

the 14inch fuch has a very similar offset to the 7R's
I think only 2mm difference
tomkirkcis
Thanks for posting the image. I am amazed 245 fit as well as they do, I was expecting the body to be far more distorted to stuff that size rubber into that wheel well. It gives me more hope about my 225s.

I was checking out the space I currently have with deep 6 fuchs and 205/50 B F Goodwrichs. I have enough room to run my fingers between the tire and fender with completely stock openings. I have been studying the wheel charts and the 7R extra inch is all to the inside. The 225's should be 10mm wider on the outside and 10mm wider on the inside It would be close but the 10mm width on the outside of the tire "might" just fit. I have no clue if the extra width to the inside would rub on the tub.

I will start by doing some test fitting. The 951 wheels I have have no rubber on them so I can't try them as easy as the Rs. I won't get around to this for a little while, it's a little cold out there, New England winters . I will report back

Thanks
burton73
8x16 Offset 23.3 (944) Backspace mm 120
951.362.117.00; offset compatible for front application
7x16 Offset 23.3 (944) Backspace mm 138
951.362.115.00, add'l clearance for larger calipers

I have 4 951 7” and 4 8” If the 8” look like they will not fit right then I will use the 7” 951 with the 225/50 16 that should still be good tire on all 4 fours. I have not put my new trick suspension on yet but it is going on very soon. I will test fit the tires on rims and then if the 245 are too big I will use them on my 9” on my 86 Carrera. The ones on there look new but are 9 years old.

Bob
Michael N
This chart help me when I was trying to decide when switching from 14" x 5.5" fuchs to 16 x 6 fuchs on a /6. There are so many factors since there are some wide 205's.

Click to view attachment

HaraldD
Hello!
I`m driving 7"R Wheels all around and also 7 + 8 x 16 (951) from 944 Turbo. For the 7"R Rims you hva to take Spacers (on my Car 27mm). On the 7R Rims i have 185/70/15. The rear Fenders are bumbed out about 1 inch and rolled. In the Front it`s not bumped, but also with Spacers and rolled. If you don`t take Spacers, the Wheel will "scratch" the Body. On the 951 i have 195/50/16 in the Front and 205/50/16 in the rear. There is not much place at the rear Fenders between the Rubber and the Body, maybe 5mm.
pete-stevers
3.2ss that is exactly what i am dreaming of building!
what cams are you running?
What other mods to the engine??
My thoughts are, put your flares on...and use the 9x16s and be done with it.
the 7r s will be super pricey and you will still be farting around with fender lips regardless, i ran 16x7s with 225s now i am running eights and sevens with 245s out back.
tomkirkcis
Harald

Your 914 is gorgeous. Thanks for posting the images.

Tom
tomkirkcis
Pete

The engine has weber 46s with 40mm venturis, it has the max moritiz mahle piston cylender set. The heads are early large port SC heads that have been ported and polished. the cams are GE 60s. The engine is twin plugged with a modified sc dissy that is modified with rsr rotor and cap. The exhasust headers are European Racing Headers and the muffler is a nasty 2 in 2 out sport muffler with 3" outlets.

Dr Evil did a thread on the box build. There are a couple images of the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93944
pete-stevers
yup...sounds like a nasty lil machine, you will need more tire,
a thought might be going flared, and running some big 17s where there is more tire availability, and re-enforcing your rear suspension, if not already done....
where does it end???
What type of hp do you get at the rear wheels??
have you done any internal mods?
messix
don't roll, use a thin cut off wheel on a die grinder and cut the lip but leave about 1/4 inch. it's to easy to cause some damage that you will have to repair.
and to get some streach use a shot bag or sand bag agianst the fender and a 2x4 on that and then use a sissor jack against the inner fender well. this should keep from distorting the outer fender while getting about an inch pushed out.
mskala
Tom,
There is no one answer for widest rubber in the stock fenders, there are too many
variables. Tire brand, camber, spring rate, ride height, factory workers' alcohol
content that day, etc. Measuring and test fitting is the only way. Too bad I don't
have my boxster wheels with auto-x tires any more or I could lend you.
Mark S.
sixaddict
On a conversion, I have currently mounted 16 X 7 with 215 55 up front and 225 X 45 rear. THe rears are rolled and pulled but only visible to the highly astute. Unless you figure this car is going back to stock some day then why not do it tastefully. With all the mods it seems unlikely.
As most have said ...205 X 50 is not enough tire......I had issues with a warm 2 liter for traction and you have way more torque. TOT
Eric_Shea
Tom,

I don't see the advantage of 7R's on a 914. The offset sends them into the body as Harold describes. With your stiffening kit you probably loose another 1/4" as well. You will need spacers to make them... well... like a regular (albeit expensive) 7x15. confused24.gif
Michael N
Check out the article in Oct 2006 Excellence. It has a 3.6 in a stock bodied original 914/6 with Weidman made 7x16" fuchs running 225's. I bet it cost the same if not less than buying 4 7R rims. Talk about a sleeper 914. yellowsleep[1].gif burnout.gif
campbellcj
I just checked my car yesterday at the track and there is still enough room in the rears to stick both of my hands between tire and outer fender, with 205/45R16 Hoosier R6's on Fuchs 16x7's. I doubt I could jam 225 Hoosiers in there but some other tires likely could fit.
burton73
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 25 2010, 01:34 PM) *

On a conversion, I have currently mounted 16 X 7 with 215 55 up front and 225 X 45 rear. THe rears are rolled and pulled but only visible to the highly astute. Unless you figure this car is going back to stock some day then why not do it tastefully. With all the mods it seems unlikely.
As most have said ...205 X 50 is not enough tire......I had issues with a warm 2 liter for traction and you have way more torque. TOT

I like the look of the offset between the front and the rear sizes of the cars wheels and tires. Thus the 7s and 8s. Just like the Carrera's and the GTs. A 205 seems like a small size when I have a 205/50 on my 5.5 Fuchs 4 lug on my 76 car.

I found a money shot of the green car. It should be entered into the car of the month for a green factory 6. I had a 70-911s in that same color in 77. I also found another shot of sixnot4s car. Just pull the rear out a little and put a 951- from a 944 turbo 8” on there.

If the 245 will not fit then a 225 will fit for sure.

Bob

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
245/45/16 on 951 8" on white car not green car
Eric_Shea
Weidman made 7x16" fuchs

That would be the ticket. Have Harvey build a set with the perfect offset.
underthetire
I had 205's on my old rivi's. 5" rim I think. They get a lot wider once you put them on 7"s. It's a big change.
javadog
I have a '71 six with 7R wheels on the back. A BFG 205 width tire just fits, with a spacer about 1/4" thick. Some 205 width tires (old Dunlop D40M2) would rub a little on the inside and the outside when cornering, so there's not much room left. No way would a 225 fit on my car.

The fronts may not be a problem. I've never tried it.

JR
burton73
I tried on the tires for size with the old trailing arms removed just to see what I would find. There is no way that the 245/50zr16 that I bought will fit in there. They start but just stop. They will be fine for the back of my Carrera for my 9”

The picture shows how far up the tire goes till it hits with the 225/50zr 16. A 914 lower rider.

At least I will not need to test mount the 245’s

Bob
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
I pulled down the tires that where on my car when –duc had it with the 3.2 in it. The tires are 215/40zr16 same brand. There is no scraping on the tires anyplace. These where on the car with 4 factory Fuchs 7” 5 lug.

When I got the car it was just a clean body and interior 4-lug roller. I got his tires.

Bob
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 25 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Weidman made 7x16" fuchs

That would be the ticket. Have Harvey build a set with the perfect offset.

agree.gif
or original flares and bbs e50s built out to 17x8 and 9s respectively
tomkirkcis
I have been traveling on business a ton, and was able to play in the garage for the first time. I took a set of 7R rims that are mounted with Bridgestone Potenza S-03 225/50ZR 15's. The 7R backset is listed as 138MM. I used a straight edge laid across the back of the tires and measured the backset at 6 1/2 inches to the rim mounting surface. I installed them on the rear of my 914. After rolling the car back and forth and bouncing it to settle, the inside fit is VERY tight, but clears. I would suspect cornering or bounce might cause contact on the inside. The ouside is also tight but might clear. The tight spot being the outside rear. My passenger sideis slightly tighter than the driver side.

I decided to use a high tech method. I went to the local Tractor Supply store and bought a pound of 1/2" flat washers I then used the 1/2" flat washers to space out the rims. Washers stacked 3 deep (about 8.5MM) "appears to give Just enough clearance on the inside. I have no idea why this looked to be enough space to me but it did. This would effectively reduce the 7R backset of 138 mm to about 130mm. All other fuch 7 inch rims, including both the 15" or 16" have a backset of 112mm . If my eyeball engineering is correct, the R's may have about an 18mm backeset advantage over other factory 7's.

HaraldD's post above says he uses a 27mm spacer. This would reduce his 7R's backset from 138MM to only 111MM. Eric Shea's comment would be correct, This would be a very expensive way to get the same backset available from far less expensive standard factory 7" rims.

The 225/50's on 7R look SO much better than the 205/50's on deep 6's. Not only the width but also the more correct height. I am thinking 225/50r rubber on 7's might be enough rubber.

The only way to tell if they fit is to drive them. With the washers in place,It might just take the slightest of rolling the opening

With the washers in place, I get 4 revolutions of the lug nuts. I am a little nervous thinking of driving with only 4 turns. Anyone know if I am asking for diaster? I am thinking limited testing, not a permenant condition here. I will have some images to post a little later.

Tom
mskala
The safer and more complete way is to disconnect the strut bolt so you
can move the arm easily to the maximum. From the spring rate you can
approximate the travel, and then figure a bit of side-side movement of
the tire under load as well.
tomkirkcis
Here are a couple of images.
Image of the 225/50 on the 7R

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In ths image, the 205/50 on a 6 x 15 is on the left and the 225/50 on the 7R is on the right

Eric_Shea
So, do they fit or do they rub?

I would "at least" put 50mm studs on there. I believe 56mm is available, that might be your best choice.

That is some "serious rubber" you've got tucked in there Tom.
tomkirkcis
QUOTE(mskala @ Feb 13 2010, 06:36 PM) *

This was good advise.

As Eric had noticed, my car has the factory GT stiffening kit installed. This narrows the wheel well a tad on the inside. I tried the above technique with 8.5mm of spacer under the 7R's with 225/50 Bridgestones . The verdict is in.

They DO just fit on the rear of my car. I had no contact on full movement of the trailing arms with the strut disconnected. This is more vertical movement than would be encountered while driving. I do not know if side to side movement while cornering would cause contact. It very well may as there is very little room to spare, both in or out.

If I did not have the chassis stfifening kit, I think I would be able to get away with a 5mm spacer , or maybe a little less and gain a smidge more of outside clearance. Someone also commented the Bridgstones side profile tend not to be as wide as some other brands so that may help with the fit.

I will probably order proper length studs and try the car on the road. I live in Massachusetts so this will not happen for a few months. So as other people have pointed out, each car is different.

I will report back

Tom
davesprinkle
QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Feb 15 2010, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Feb 13 2010, 06:36 PM) *

This was good advise.

As Eric had noticed, my car has the factory GT stiffening kit installed. This narrows the wheel well a tad on the inside. I tried the above technique with 8.5mm of spacer under the 7R's with 225/50 Bridgestones . The verdict is in.

They DO just fit on the rear of my car. I had no contact on full movement of the trailing arms with the strut disconnected. This is more vertical movement than would be encountered while driving. I do not know if side to side movement while cornering would cause contact. It very well may as there is very little room to spare, both in or out.

If I did not have the chassis stfifening kit, I think I would be able to get away with a 5mm spacer , or maybe a little less and gain a smidge more of outside clearance. Someone also commented the Bridgstones side profile tend not to be as wide as some other brands so that may help with the fit.

I will probably order proper length studs and try the car on the road. I live in Massachusetts so this will not happen for a few months. So as other people have pointed out, each car is different.

I will report back

Tom

Good work, Tom. What is your rear camber?
tomkirkcis
I do not know. Racer Chris at Tangerine Racing did my alignment. Maybe he will chime in at what the settings are.

Tom
tomkirkcis
Well, we did some test fitting on the front. I need 10mm spacers to have the tire clear the front strut. I haven't driven the car hard at all because I need longer studs, but it does look like I may luck out and be able to fit 225/50 rubber with the 7R wheels all around on the narrow body with stock openings.
8mm spacers in the rear and 10mm spacer in the front. The wheel fitment seems to match up with the experience of guys who have fit 7" boxter wheels with a 40mm offset. I am effectively reducing the R wheel 49mm offset to 39 in the front and 41 in the rear with the spacers. The boxter wheels would be a lot cheaper way to get there, but I am partial to fuchs and already owned these, so what the hell.

I also think the profile of the Bridgestones helps with fitment. They may be a little narrower than some other 225/50's

I am ordering longer studs and will be able to fully test the fitment. I will report back and post some images.
tomkirkcis
Wheel stud length? I am confused as to what is the factory stud length. I seem to be finding conflicting info on the internet. I thought the studs were 45mm . Eric recommended 56mm which would make sense for 8 or 10mm spacers. Then I found this add this add on Paragon.

Replace those tired and damaged wheel studs with our new pieces or increase the length for use with spacers.

Here's a basic list of sizes used as original:

45mm - 944 83-86, 924S (front); 924S, 944 85.5-89, 944S, 944S2, 944 Turbo, 968 (rear)
50mm - 944 85.5-89, 944S, 944S2, 944 Turbo, 968 (front)
52mm - 911 65-89 (front and rear)
66mm - 911 Turbo 76-89 (front)
66mm - 944 83-85.1 (rear w/factory spacer)
72mm - 911 Turbo 76-89 (rear)

A 914-6 isn't listed but I would think it should be the same as a 911 Anyone know for certain what is the original stud length on a 914-6?

Thanks

Tom
tomkirkcis
I have had a chance to drive the car a couple hundred miles and everything is working out great. The tire fitment is very tight, but no rubs. The car handles so much better with the bigger rubber and the combination of 225's and the LSD has not resulted in any tire spin.

I have not had the car on the track
qa1142
First, I want to say this thread rocks aktion035.gif just what I have been needing.

So, I will find out soon if my 15X6 and 15X7 cookies will fit narrow body or not

I still want 2nd set of rims with "R" rubber for autoX and track days. Mine is only 2.0L 4 banger so I don't need to over tire, but don't want to under tire either.

16X6 enough? 16X7? Sounds like you have all done this before do I head for 944 section on Pelican to find these rims?

Thanks
Will
Bleyseng
I had fittment issues in the back with 15x7 cookies but I fixed that smash.gif
that was with 205x50 Kumho's for AXing.

Now I am running 16x6's and 205x50x16's without any problems, its nice.
qa1142
so these won't fit with 23 offset with?

Size 15x7

Part Numbers
7JX15
911 361 023
8K A1 S1 12 MG
PTL2001
ATS

Need to be more like "R" with 36 to 49 offset?
sixnotfour
Here you go , bolt on , be happ, and light in the wallet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-73-Porsc...sQ5fAccessories
Bleyseng
and real deep dish rims to boot!!
tomkirkcis
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Aug 13 2010, 06:44 AM) *

First, I want to say this thread rocks aktion035.gif just what I have been needing.

So, I will find out soon if my 15X6 and 15X7 cookies will fit narrow body or not

I still want 2nd set of rims with "R" rubber for autoX and track days. Mine is only 2.0L 4 banger so I don't need to over tire, but don't want to under tire either.

16X6 enough? 16X7? Sounds like you have all done this before do I head for 944 section on Pelican to find these rims?

Thanks
Will

15 x 7 cookies do NOT fit on a narrow body without massaging the sheet metal. The R wheels fit with the right spacers, but are very expensive (4k a pair). I think some of the Boxter wheels are similar offsets as the R and are available at a reasonable price. They would also need spacers and as everyone has pointed out, each of these cars are a little different and fitment is a car by car ordeal. Good luck
qa1142
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jan 23 2010, 08:32 PM) *

This chart help me when I was trying to decide when switching from 14" x 5.5" fuchs to 16 x 6 fuchs on a /6. There are so many factors since there are some wide 205's.

Click to view attachment

So 911R with 27 mm spacer is just about equal to 911.361.020 if I figure that right.

Am I correct?

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.