Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing PMB Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I am installing my PMB 914-4 rear calipers today and ran into a small issue. On the inside side of the brakes there is the inside clearanceadjuster. Once I remove the dist cover, I do not see a set screw to adjust. So what tool do I use to adjust the inner clearance???

My thanks in advance.

Eric Read
ConeDodger
It should be an allen screw that has to be released by the nut that is on the outside. I forget the size but 4mm comes to mind. Once adjusted you lock the nut again and you are good to go. I think Eric has a Classic thread on this adjustment as well.
ericread
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2010, 11:51 AM) *

It should be an allen screw that has to be released by the nut that is on the outside. I forget the size but 4mm comes to mind. Once adjusted you lock the nut again and you are good to go. I think Eric has a Classic thread on this adjustment as well.

I have a new set of calipers from Eric Shea. Once the cover on the inside adjuster comes off, there is an empty chamber... So how do I adjust this?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 7 2010, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2010, 11:51 AM) *

I have a new set of calipers from Eric Shea. Once the cover on the inside adjuster comes off, there is an empty chamber... So how do I adjust this?

It sounds like what you are telling us is that the adjuster is missing. The cover actually attaches to the nut that locks the adjuster so I am not sure how that could be. Got a picture? You might be missing parts. Not sure how that would have gotten by Eric's quality control He never makes mistakes. huh.gif

Here is the Lapuwali Classic Thread that outlines the procedure. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625
Click and enjoy...
ericread
Here are the pics:

This is the inside adjuster cover:
Click to view attachment

And this is what's inside:
Click to view attachment

Sooo.... What am I doing wrong?
ericread
And just for reference, here's a pic out the outside adjuster:
Click to view attachment
underthetire
It's not as visible as the outside, it's wayyy down the hole.
ericread
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 7 2010, 12:28 PM) *

It's not as visible as the outside, it's wayyy down the hole.

Any chance you know the allen size?

Thanks!!!

Eric
Eric_Shea
The email I sent you on Feb. 26th entitled "Pad Bedding and Gears" had this install sheet in it:

Click to view attachment

It tells you what to do with the inner adjuster cavity. wink.gif

I even highlighted it in RED and circled it for ya! av-943.gif
ericread
Here a picture of the inside of the adjuster. I just don't see anywhere to adjust...

Click to view attachment
underthetire
Looks like it's packed full of grease to me. Think it was a 13mm socket and a 4mm allen socket.
ericread
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2010, 12:41 PM) *

The email I sent you on Feb. 26th entitled "Pad Bedding and Gears" had this install sheet in it:

Click to view attachment

It tells you what to do with the inner adjuster cavity. wink.gif

I even highlighted it in RED and circled it for ya! av-943.gif

Got it Eric... My thanks!!! So the covers you provide are just temporary dust covers that are replaced by my adjuster screws? Sounds good.

Eric

Edit: First I send you my money. Then I act as a seasoned "wrench" (which I am not). Now you expect me to read???? lol3.gif

Eric_Shea
So the covers you provide are just temporary dust covers that are replaced by my adjuster screws?

No... those are permanent covers, in fact, their better than the stock covers. The factory covers suck because they have a shallow 4mm hex that almost "never" has the wrench engagement surface area to overcome the gummed up, rusty 10x1 threads. This is a new 10x1 cover with a deep 5mm hex. The other 10mm 10x1 cap head covers that are commonly sold in the marketplace get in the way of mounting your calipers on your arms (small issue but these are the best).

You should find my thread on "Adjusting Rear Calipers" and read up (or just look at the pictures) on how to get your old covers off so you can get your gears out. It will be a task. biggrin.gif

(thread is in the Classics section)

So... it goes like this:

1. Get your old covers off so you can get at your gears (the gears are 4mm BTW)
2. Yank out your gears and drop them in the new calipers (they should slide out).
3. Mount up your new calipers.
4. Bleed.
5. Adjust using the procedures in that thread.
6. Put the new dust caps back on (they're not temporary).

Hope that helps.
ericread
Actually, the front covers came off pretty easily - both sides. I've really never had any significant problems with corrosion on my 914. Nothing I have worked on thus far has been "welded" closed.

Anyway, the rear calipers are on and adjusted. Once I understood that I needed to transfer the inner adjusters to the new calipers, everything went pretty smoothly. Of course it was a PIA to replace the flexibe lines for the rear brakes, but nothing I wasn't expecting.

I plan on installing the Porterfields on the front tomorrow. Then the front brake adjustments and it's time to bleed the lines with ATE gold brake fluid (I alternate between the blue and gold so that I am assured the fluid has been completely replaced).

The new calipers look pretty nice (I still wish they were red lol3.gif). And I carefully had read your adjustment documents and I adjusted the pads to .006.

OK, settle down, I was just kidding lol2.gif. I adjusted them to your specified .004.

I'm hoping for some dry weather on Monday (it rained again this afernoon) so that I can seat the pads correctly.

My thanks to Eric, Conehead and Tirebottom for their assistance!

Eric Read
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.