Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stainless heat exchanger shell set brand new
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
johannes
Used sets start to be very expensive ... I have seen sets sold for 800 +
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The deal for the 100 sets of newly manufactured 2.0 heat exchangers went down and John says that the new ones are a different alloy that is actually improved over the old originals. The alloy he used back then would after awhile corrode and the chromium depletion will not occur. The old ones were not annealed.
The price will probably be higher as the run was so small.

johannes
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2011, 09:10 AM) *

The deal for the 100 sets of newly manufactured 2.0 heat exchangers went down and John says that the new ones are a different alloy that is actually improved over the old originals. The alloy he used back then would after awhile corrode and the chromium depletion will not occur. The old ones were not annealed.

So he finally made a batch of 200 sets for Mittelmotor and told you this was not for them ... And now they have the exclusivity for 5 or more years . Thats it ? ...

I need another job ... stromberg.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
He SAID that he made only 100 sets and not for Mittelmotor but for another guy. He actually told me but I did not recognize the name so forgot it. John said that he was going to forward my e mail so that maybe I could purchase some sets! And all of this after I asked him over and over to make another run and I would buy them!
I guess we Americans are just not strong enough to pay the price as the Euro is so much stronger!

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 25 2011, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2011, 09:10 AM) *

So he finally made a batch of 200 sets for Mittelmotor and told you this was not for them ... And now they have the exclusivity for 5 or more years . Thats it ? ...

I need another job ... stromberg.gif

johannes
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2011, 09:40 AM) *

He SAID that he made only 100 sets and not for Mittelmotor but for another guy. He actually told me but I did not recognize the name so forgot it. John said that he was going to forward my e mail so that maybe I could purchase some sets! And all of this after I asked him over and over to make another run and I would buy them!
I guess we Americans are just not strong enough to pay the price as the Euro is so much stronger!

1190 Euros is not cheap. Even for Europe ... I bet Mittelmotor won't sell a set every week ... idea.gif
Root_Werks
av-943.gif

I paid less for my Type3 and the heater works great.

blink.gif

Not that I would have the money to buy a set, but it would be interesting to read comments from folks who install these new sets. One of the complaints I have about my SS HE's is the volume of noise they produce. It's annoying vs the stock HE's.

If ceramic coating helps, I'm taking mine off and sending them in.

idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
I still have one NOS set of 2.0L SSI's with the SS flanges available if anyone is interested. NIB only opened for photos, more pics available. Make me your best offer. These can ship and be on your car immediately they are not vaporware. biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
SS with SS flanges than ceramic coated & polished.

You're a sick man Bliz! biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
Katmanken
I got a set just like that except my wife decided to recycle the cardboard- without telling me.

IronHillRestorations
The muffler flanges look great, but the cylinder head flanges look like the same too thin stuff. I'll bet they are 1/3 the thickness of the stock h/e's!

If it's not Mittlemotor, could it be Lothar Stockl?
nsr-jamie
I am a tool and die maker and machinist...if I could fix his problem with the die could I get a few free sets? Do you know what happened to the dies? One problem is that I am located here in Japan.....if I could only get your die here I could fix it perfectly and tune it as well. I specialize in press stamping dies.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 10 2010, 08:22 AM) *

I love John to death, we have visited each other and stayed at each other's house and have spent many many hours talking.
Yes he would make another run if I would buy 200 sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not think that I am man enough to commit myself to that kind of money. As I remember he needed to fix one of the tools or something. I doubt if all of us put together would want to purchase new stainless heat exchangers!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2010, 11:02 AM) *

If anyone would be able to talk John at SSI into making another batch of SSI heat exchangers for our cars it would probably be you, George!

Give John a call, i bet you could talk him into it. Plus, he has all the tooling to make these. Complete with exhaust tubes and flanges and all.

I'm not sure if the phone number is still good, it's been a while since i last talked to John.

SSI
John Daniels
20 Pamaron Way
Novato, CA 94949
415-883-2000

bye1.gif Andy

nsr-jamie
Where did you get that exhaust set up? Cool for sure? Are they still available?

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 12 2010, 02:37 AM) *

I don't need one beer3.gif This is what $800 bucks cost me, SS with SS flanges than ceramic coated & polished.

BTW: I love these pics wub.gif

Tom

crxnug
i need a set so hopefully the price is not to high
IronHillRestorations
I'm guess Patrik Hess has bought out Lothar Stockk?

It looks like the SSI's could be coming from him:
http://www.914er-teile.de/en/index.php

Not to bag on our Euro friends, but the Europeans are very into exclusive deals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.