Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First-timer builds a Type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jaxdream
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 23 2010, 03:59 AM) *

Thanks Van. I've got the motor in. I just figured out my stupid mistake regarding the carbs here.

Btw, how did you embed the video? I cut and pasted the embed code from Youtube but the code shows up in the post, not the video.

If you don't mind , could you share what the mistake was headbang.gif , perhaps so that oter novices don't make the same ?? Please....

Jack / Jaxdream
Cevan
Quick one year update. I put about 3000 miles on the engine last year with no issues. My homemade cable linkage has continued to work great. The carbs have stayed in-sync. Today I changed the oil/filter and checked the valves. None of them needed adjusting. piratenanner.gif

Then I flogged it for about 30 miles today with the top off. About time it got warm here. driving.gif
Jake Raby
Excellent!!
Solid valve adjustments are a sign of quality components and stable running temperatures..
Go drive that sucker!
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2011, 07:45 AM) *

Excellent!!
Solid valve adjustments are a sign of quality components and stable running temperatures..
Go drive that sucker!

I have done my valves 4 times since starting to drive her, and have less than 500 miles on it. Each time I adjust, I need less and less adjusting. Is this due to valves stretching out, seats seating? Or maybe my technique is just getting better?
Jake Raby
These frequent adjustments should not be necessary. What brand of valves and etc did you use? Were the valve seats changed from OEM?
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2011, 08:00 AM) *

These frequent adjustments should not be necessary. What brand of valves and etc did you use? Were the valve seats changed from OEM?

The frequency is mainly my paranoia of not doing it right, not getting everything tightened up. Like I said, each time i have checked, they are closer to spec each time. Last check, I only monkeyed with a couple, all others were fine. The shop I used is highly respected out here, so I HOPE they did me right.

Everything is stock spec. Seats were changed, although i am not sure what brand the shop used.

I do find myself getting faster and better at in-car adjustments, so I kinda think my perceptions and measuring/adjusting techniques have a good deal to do with it.
Jake Raby
Just keep an eye on it.. And watch those head temps, nothing moves these parts around as much as hot heads.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Just keep an eye on it.. And watch those head temps, nothing moves these parts around as much as hot heads.

Thanks, Jake. Thats the main reason I have been popping the valve covers so much. And so far, my CHT gauge has been showing really good temp ranges, but then, warmer weather is coming.
gothspeed
Nice Aluminum sump plate ........... is that custom?
Cevan
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 11 2011, 01:18 AM) *

Nice Aluminum sump plate ........... is that custom?

It's made by Mainely. I forgot where I got it. Ebay I think.

Also, I ended up sizing the idle jet up half a size to a 57. This got rid of that stumble down low. I also installed a wideband A/F sensor and meter.
Speedster Mike
it's been a while sense we heard from you....Still running the 57 Idle jets? whats your air/fuel numbers? Hope all is still well!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.