Tom_T
... continued from prior post ....

Clean Sills under Thresholds @ Driver & pass. sides -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... more pix to follow ....
Tom_T

Floor Pan Underside in Quarters - L Half F & R - Only Surface Rust in Spots - Orange area in top pic below is my flashlight beam as I was shooting these at night in the garage last yere (not a rust area) -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Floor Pan Underside in Quarters - R Half F & R - Only Surface Rust in Spots - BTW the black stuff on the underpan & wheel Wells etc. is the original dealer applied rust treatment/schutz over the original L80E (white) paint & factory chip gaurd (if any) under the paint, with some areas peeling the black coating back to the original white paint & a few areas where the white paint has come off to bare metal & surface rusted - not onf the areas on this main floor/underbody pan failed the screwdriver test for rust-through & the surface rust brushed off fairly easily (I will wire-wheel & pre-treat/pre-prime them to be sure & to preserve them from further damage) -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rear End: Trunk Lid, Face Panel, L & R Fenders, Trunk Floor (full or rear half) as/if needed -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The 3rd hole below the left bumper mounts is a small area of through rust on the donor shell pic below - which area on my 914 is solid & rust-free & usable, if the bench pull/etc. can get that area straight - while the rest of the rear panel & rear trunk floor on the donor is clean & rust-free for cut-n-weld -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust-free Pass. Door but needs extra mirror holes closed-off -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust-free Pass. Door but needs extra mirror holes closed-off - continued -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust on Driver Door but needs extra mirror holes closed-off, Outer Skin Damage, & Rust @ Bottom Repaired - Will Try to Source better Undamaged Rust-free door-

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust on Driver Door but needs extra mirror holes closed-off, Outer Skin Damage, & Rust @ Bottom Repaired - Will Try to Source better Undamaged Rust-free door - continued -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust Free Upper & Lower Firewall & Engine Shelf as needed - but the battery tray/support & hell hole area isn't great, so I'll need to get clean used or new sheetmetal parts (e.g.: from Restoration Design, AA, etc.) in that area & already have a new battery tray/support to put in there - & a couple of people have rcco's also replacing the suspension consoles there with the new Resto. Design parts on both sides just to be safe (so I may get those to do as well if shop/pro agrees) -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust Free Upper & Lower Firewall & Engine Shelf as needed - continued -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Rust Free Upper & Lower Firewall & Engine Shelf as needed - Cockpit Side -

Click to view attachment

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Hell Hole Area with some rust at top of rear Long in Engine Bay -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Hell Hole & R Susp. Console Area with some rust spots (may seek better rust free part or NOS/Repro Parts as needed) -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Front End: Trunk Lid, Face Panel, L & R Fenders, Trunk Floor & Inner Braces, Inner Wheel Well, LF Headlight Box & Assy., etc. - as/if needed - L & R Headlights & boxes are good & rust-free, & F trunk lid is perfect fit & rust free (it's sitting hi because I've removed the latch mechs.) - however there is some rust at the LF bumper attachment area & up behind & under the LF headlight which appears to ahve been repaired with a new-ish headlight box at some point back whenever -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Front End: Trunk Lid, Face Panel, L & R Fenders, Trunk Floor & Inner Braces, Inner Wheel Well, LF Headlight Box & Assy., etc. - as/if needed - continued -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Front End: Trunk Lid, Face Panel, L & R Fenders, Trunk Floor & Inner Braces, Inner Wheel Well, LF Headlight Box & Assy., etc. - as/if needed - continued -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - L & R Sail/Fender/Upper-Door-Jamb Areas - as/if needed - continued - I plucked up some loose paint here to check if it was rust, but I think it was just racetrack wear &/or a MAACO paint job to red on this 914 (original was L96B Silver) -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - L & R Sail/Fender/Upper-Door-Jamb Areas - as/if needed - continued -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - L & R Sail/Fender/Upper-Door-Jamb Areas - as/if needed - continued - L side has about 1/16" of bondo there where I scraped it up & much thicker below on the fender face where it had been pushed in & repaired previously (the pix of the inside of that fender in the engine bay above also show the lower side bent in) -

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

Parts Donor Shell (Red & Black) `74 914-2.0 - Bad L & R Longs - they're pretty rusty up inside them as well -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
poke.gif icon_bump.gif

I'll add pix of the underpan at the passenger side steering rack strut/brace at the red/black donor shell to but cut out & used to repair mine for the bodywork guys reference, when I get to work on them again (hopefully this weekend). I checked through all of my old pix files, but cannot find where I put those suckers! dry.gif

Thanx for the input & advice so far folks! smile.gif

Tom T
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have the perfect man to do the job, currently has at least 20 914s in his shop. Kirk Schueman Automotivation 770 877 5743

http://autobodymd.net/showcase/index.php
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 20 2010, 01:40 PM) *

I have the perfect man to do the job, currently has at least 20 914s in his shop. Kirk Schueman Automotivation 770 877 5743

http://autobodymd.net/showcase/index.php

Thanx George! smile.gif

... I wonder if his complimentary pick-up & delivery includes to/from CA !!?? biggrin.gif
strawman
Are you sure the donor is not a better candidate? Besides the longs rust damage and driver side damage, there appears to be less overall rust damage (not to mention front/rear damage)...
proto31
Seriously, can you add some more F*cking photos, we need more, please, more photos... I was going to look through and add some advice until I figured that I would have to invest my entire evening sifting through all these photos... Good luck.
Tom_T
QUOTE(strawman @ Apr 20 2010, 11:08 PM) *

Are you sure the donor is not a better candidate? Besides the longs rust damage and driver side damage, there appears to be less overall rust damage (not to mention front/rear damage)...

I considered that initially as just transplanting my freshly overhauled drive-train into a dead-engine or roller 914, but decided against it because another mitigating factor towards doing my original 73 914 2.0 is that it is a matching numbers VIN & GA Engine 2L car.

The donor shell was "abandoned" as an active VARA racer when it ran off the track & folded the rear suspension under & caused some console/arm mounts tweaking, & it has that & prior left side damage to all of the lower 1/4 & 3/4 side panels & door skin (mucho bondo!), & the longs on both sides are bad inside too, plus it has some previously repaired rust areas up behind the LF headlight box which appears to be new-ish & at the LF face panel & RR lower face panel. It almost appears to have been exposed to wet weather on the L side with various rust problems along there. So they're probably about equal overall.

Basically it was a good shell for me, because it had most of the panels which I needed in good condition - but that was before I found the door bottoms on mine were rusted - but at least the pass. door on the shell is clean, & I'll run down a better rust-free drivers door & R trunk lid (unless my racer buddies get a FG rear lid & give me the red car's original clean rear lid ;-).

BTW - All y'all - on my 914, the door rust problems are due to shrunken seals & scrapers, the cowl joints & F trunk seals' channels' rust due to shrunken cowl "Tee" seals, firewall rust due to the warped rain tray & water retaining firewall pad (as in the pic posted above - most all of which are easy maintenance & upkeep items for replacement on your own 914s! dry.gif

Word of warning - keep up on those seals & maintenance items so your own 914 doesn't turn to dust! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(proto31 @ Apr 20 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Seriously, can you add some more F*cking photos, we need more, please, more photos... I was going to look through and add some advice until I figured that I would have to invest my entire evening sifting through all these photos... Good luck.

Be f*ing kind slick! dry.gif

The bunch of pix are there so a shop can look through & give me a prelim estimate on this, & are comparable to the number of what has been asked of me &/or taken by others to do such an estimate.

... besides, for advice you don't need to look at all the pix, & the main "advice" which I asked for here, was reccos to good body shops for this job.

You're right here in OC - down in Costa Mesa - so who do you know of to do this type of work on a 914 locally?? confused24.gif

That's the type of "advice" which I most need now.

Thanx for the Good Luck though!
bye1.gif
KELTY360
I think it's laughable that you would expect a line item estimate from a professional shop based on the poorly focused presentation you've produced. Why would someone spend the hours necessary for a pig in a poke chance at getting a know it all customer who would undoubtedly be an overbearing pain in the ass.

I'm currently in the process of having a professional shop strip, repair and paint my '74 2.0. They came highly recommended by members of the 914 community in the NW and I'm very pleased with their skills, organization and communication. Based on the attitude and expectations you've demonstrated in this thread, there is no way I would give you their name. I want to stay in their good graces for future work and I'm pretty sure they'd hold the referral against me.

I wish you well getting your car rebuilt but I think you need a reality check. JMO
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 21 2010, 07:15 AM) *

I think it's laughable that you would expect a line item estimate from a professional shop based on the poorly focused presentation you've produced. Why would someone spend the hours necessary for a pig in a poke chance at getting a know it all customer who would undoubtedly be an overbearing pain in the ass.

I'm currently in the process of having a professional shop strip, repair and paint my '74 2.0. They came highly recommended by members of the 914 community in the NW and I'm very pleased with their skills, organization and communication. Based on the attitude and expectations you've demonstrated in this thread, there is no way I would give you their name. I want to stay in their good graces for future work and I'm pretty sure they'd hold the referral against me.

I wish you well getting your car rebuilt but I think you need a reality check. JMO

Marc,

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but others so far have been kind & comfortable enough to offer shop reccos to me - both on here & by PM/email. Some of your points are well taken, but could've been made in another way, such as: "Gee Tom, you need clearer pix for them to be of use to anybody.", etc.

To clarify - I do have excellent hi-rez pics which I've taken of everything, but they're too big to post on this site with a 500KB limit, cuz the lowest rez the other takes is 1 MB & I don't know of a good way to get them online to be reviewed by a shop. Most of these were taken with my cell phone camera to fit on here without a lot of cropping, with a few cropped from bigger hi-rez shots.

In my very first post I did say to email or PM me for more info & pix, for any shop or other person who was interested. I will recheck my first post to make sure that is clear.

However, the only "attitude" in my post is frankly in reaction to past comments from some members on this board who prefer to get on my posts asking questions/advice, & start running me down about why I'd want to fix my 914 at all. That's not what I wanted here & tried to be clear about it, and yet ..... confused24.gif

As for requesting a detailed estimate, I just don't need a shop throwing out a lump sum with no mutual understanding of what is included & what is not, so we both know what is being estimated, & when add-on items come up what's beyond that first estimate. That is very reasonable.

I know that this post's request will not result in a final nor hard estimate, and stated as much initially. Rather, it is a first step for me to find some qualified shops/pros & the range of their costs, in order to determine if it makes sense to go out of my local area or out-of-state. Again, I will make sure to clarify that on my first post.

At a later point the detailed estimate would need to be finalized with the selected shop/pro, up to the point of what is found after media blasting, digging into the project, additional items added by choice later, etc.

And btw - I'm happy to talk to the folks first too, to figure out what makes sense & not, then come to a reasonably detailed prelim estimate without their spending an inordinate amount of time.

Pig in a poke chance? - I don't think so, cuz I'm serious about getting it done, but don't know how or where yet, & cannot determine if it makes sense cost-wise to go out of the area here without comparing apples to apples.

IMHO, when both parties know what's on the table & agree to it, & have something in writing to which to refer as things progress, then it makes things go easier for everybody to refer back to what was included & not. In this case, it keeps clear what is in this prelim. estimate, so that there is no question if something was included from it - going into the final estimate, etc. BTW - I have no problem with additional stuff when it isn't included initially, but don't like later add-ons then havee someone say it wasn't included before when it was!

Know it all, overbearing pain in the ass? JYHO

bye1.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 21 2010, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 21 2010, 07:15 AM) *

Marc,

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but others so far have been kind & comfortable enough to offer shop reccos to me - both on here & by PM/email. Some of your points are well taken, but could've been made in another way, such as: "Gee Tom, you need clearer pix for them to be of use to anybody.", etc.

To clarify - I do have excellent hi-rez pics which I've taken of everything, but they're too big to post on this site with a 500KB limit, cuz the lowest rez the other takes is 1 MB & I don't know of a good way to get them online to be reviewed by a shop. Most of these were taken with my cell phone camera to fit on here without a lot of cropping, with a few cropped from bigger hi-rez shots.

In my very first post I did say to email or PM me for more info & pix, for any shop or other person who was interested. I will recheck my first post to make sure that is clear.

However, the only "attitude" in my post is frankly in reaction to past comments from some members on this board who prefer to get on my posts asking questions/advice, & start running me down about why I'd want to fix my 914 at all. That's not what I wanted here & tried to be clear about it, and yet ..... confused24.gif

As for requesting a detailed estimate, I just don't need a shop throwing out a lump sum with no mutual understanding of what is included & what is not, so we both know what is being estimated, & when add-on items come up what's beyond that first estimate. That is very reasonable.

I know that this post's request will not result in a final nor hard estimate, and stated as much initially. Rather, it is a first step for me to find some qualified shops/pros & the range of their costs, in order to determine if it makes sense to go out of my local area or out-of-state. Again, I will make sure to clarify that on my first post.

At a later point the detailed estimate would need to be finalized with the selected shop/pro, up to the point of what is found after media blasting, digging into the project, additional items added by choice later, etc.

And btw - I'm happy to talk to the folks first too, to figure out what makes sense & not, then come to a reasonably detailed prelim estimate without their spending an inordinate amount of time.

Pig in a poke chance? - I don't think so, cuz I'm serious about getting it done, but don't know how or where yet, & cannot determine if it makes sense cost-wise to go out of the area here without comparing apples to apples.

IMHO, when both parties know what's on the table & agree to it, & have something in writing to which to refer as things progress, then it makes things go easier for everybody to refer back to what was included & not. In this case, it keeps clear what is in this prelim. estimate, so that there is no question if something was included from it - going into the final estimate, etc. BTW - I have no problem with additional stuff when it isn't included initially, but don't like later add-ons then havee someone say it wasn't included before when it was!

Know it all, overbearing pain in the ass? JYHO

bye1.gif

Tom, I'm sure you're right. dry.gif
kconway
Tom,
Obviously there is a whole lot of emotional attachment involved with this car right? I'm not bashing but I'm sure you realize this won't be cheap by a long shot and you'll never get near out of the car what your going to spend to fix it. This will not be an original car that can command high teens in a sale.

If I were you I'd consider posting your photos on Flickr or some other off board photo resource and just post your link. That way you can easily email that link to shops and they can look it over without the commentary your getting here.

Kev
proto31
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 20 2010, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(proto31 @ Apr 20 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Be f*ing kind slick! dry.gif

The bunch of pix are there so a shop can look through & give me a prelim estimate on this, & are comparable to the number of what has been asked of me &/or taken by others to do such an estimate.

... besides, for advice you don't need to look at all the pix, & the main "advice" which I asked for here, was reccos to good body shops for this job.

You're right here in OC - down in Costa Mesa - so who do you know of to do this type of work on a 914 locally?? confused24.gif

That's the type of "advice" which I most need now.

Thanx for the Good Luck though!
bye1.gif

Tom, I didn't want to come off as mean but I just didn't see the point to 80% of the photos posted. I do live in Costa Mesa, there are a bunch of local shops on 16th that would do a great job. I just finished doing my car by myself (paint and body-welding on flares). There wasn't any accident damage so I didn't have to worry about straightening anything. I my experience (my last project), body shops will not give you any real quote until they physically see the car. Here's my car getting polished after color sanding:

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 21 2010, 12:39 PM) *

Tom,
Obviously there is a whole lot of emotional attachment involved with this car right? I'm not bashing but I'm sure you realize this won't be cheap by a long shot and you'll never get near out of the car what your going to spend to fix it. This will not be an original car that can command high teens in a sale.

If I were you I'd consider posting your photos on Flickr or some other off board photo resource and just post your link. That way you can easily email that link to shops and they can look it over without the commentary your getting here.

Kev

Kev - I just have to figure out how to post those hi-rez pix to one of those services, as I've never done it before & am clueless! Then I'll need to finish sorting through them for the most applicable ones fro the shop/pro guys to use, since they're mixed in with those I'm also taking pix of how it comes apart, so I can get it back together again! biggrin.gif

When I started on this great scheme, I hadn't "discovered" the rust problems with the doors, firewall & hell-hole - so it keeps growing. My hope is to get my ole 914 back running again so I can enjoy driving.gif in my late years, then hopefully it will be a worthwhile investment as a properly restored 914-2.0 & recover at least most of the costs by the time my son or future grandkids sell it! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(proto31 @ Apr 21 2010, 01:26 PM) *

Tom, I didn't want to come off as mean but I just didn't see the point to 80% of the photos posted. I do live in Costa Mesa, there are a bunch of local shops on 16th that would do a great job. I just finished doing my car by myself (paint and body-welding on flares). There wasn't any accident damage so I didn't have to worry about straightening anything. I my experience (my last project), body shops will not give you any real quote until they physically see the car. Here's my car getting polished after color sanding:

Click to view attachment

Glad to hear it & Thanx for clarifying - no offense taken. smile.gif

I did clarify at the first post, so that "members" here didn't feel that they had to wade thru all these pix just to recco shop "X", as I re-read it & wasn't really clear on how I worded that! I was really just trying to ward off any of the mean & nasty stuff which some members here seem to relish in posting about others' projects & cars. So that was my fault in part too! dry.gif

Do you happen to know if any of them on 16th have doen 914s before - or even any classic Porsches? I'll probably have to do the ole cruise of 16th with my laptop in hand & see if any are interested, but I can't tow 2 shells around to every potential shop to get quotes, so I'm hoping to get something prelim. with pix here or email/CDs, then if any want to see them in person - I'm just up in Orange & they can PM/email me for a time to do so. I've had a couple come out so far, one from up north of LA.

There is also a body shop owner here in Orange who has a shop near Glassell/Orange-Olive & Taft (north of) who has/had a 914-6 & a few other 914s of his own restored in his shop, but the last time I talked to them about my 85 BMW, they were only doing dealership & insurance repair work on <10 year old cars.

Otherwise, I'd think they/he would be a perfect candidate (even if mine had to sit longer & be worked on between the other work), since they're close & seem to know 914s. It's close enough to easily get to once pulled/benched & blasted & if anything else comes up, plus & could take progress pix easily to post here!

I don't know if he's a member here, but if so - please PM/email me if you're interested! smile.gif

BTW - looks like a very nice GT clone - will it be at G&R this Sunday?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 21 2010, 11:28 AM) *

By the way - if any other members on here &/or shops are concerned about Marc/Kelty360's comments above about my being a PITA & bad customer - to be clear ....

I have been a consistent customer of the same mechanic in Huntington Beach on my 914 since 1975 - as well as for my other 3 cars, & many reccos to other folks - which is 35 years of continuous business with nary a hitch! In fact the owner - Hans - is a German trained at the factory on 914s who knows them mechanically inside & out, & who throughout 1975 checked out several other 914s for me, before he said to get this one I have to restore now.

Yeah, Hans & Carl tease me about my "lists" when I bring the cars in (half of which is so I remember what all needs done), but we have an excellent rapport!

If any shop/pro wants to check my references with them, send me a PM or email & I'll give you Hans' number! smile.gif

Sorry Marc - but I just think that sort of impugning of another member's character was unwarranted & uncalled for - period! dry.gif
Tom_T
BTW all - I never used to understand why some of the younger gen would go buy a $10k Honda, Toyota, etc. - then spend $50-100k to make it into a rice-burner "sorta-sports-car" with booming audio etc., when they could go out & buy a new Porsche for that cost!!?? confused24.gif

... needless to say - NOW I understand how & why they & we overspend on our cars!! dry.gif
realred914
remember that the place you get it repaired may or may not be ALLOWED to use the good old proven paints that are easy to apply.

some locations such as the great San Jose area have banned certain epoxy primers, and have forced use of water based paints (mainly primers at this point I believe) this stuff is also very sensitive to the weather the day the paint is shot and cures.
Drive to Santa Cruz, and the laws are less restrictive.

This may mean more time and money (the new paints often require new equipment to replace the just fine older stuff, even new booths are required in some areas, all adding to the cost.)

the crazy laws lead by the nazi like CARB (Calif. Air Resource Board) have devistated the automotive repair industry in california. You cant even do it yourself anymore cuase you cant get the materials.

So I recommend you patronize an out of state repair shop, and be sure to let your dog damn state politican know that too. going out of state also makes sure no tax money feeds these bastards!

underthetire
Checking in to paint here in CA, you can buy solvent based paints in a couple county's only. A very few shops can spray solvent paints, it all has to do with how many body shops are in that particular county. Try finding lacquer for a 57 bird. It aint easy.

Good luck with your project, and take pictures during the repair. I wanna see!
Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 21 2010, 03:46 PM) *

Checking in to paint here in CA, you can buy solvent based paints in a couple county's only. A very few shops can spray solvent paints, it all has to do with how many body shops are in that particular county. Try finding lacquer for a 57 bird. It aint easy.

Good luck with your project, and take pictures during the repair. I wanna see!

Let me know which counties you find where they can sell & spray it. I know that SCAQMD, San Diego & Centraql Valley AQMD's ban it - unless there are a few small shops grandfathered in somewhere who can spray it in limited quantities, as someone else posted earlier here.

I wanna see the Bird progress & done too! smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 21 2010, 03:43 PM) *

remember that the place you get it repaired may or may not be ALLOWED to use the good old proven paints that are easy to apply.

some locations such as the great San Jose area have banned certain epoxy primers, and have forced use of water based paints (mainly primers at this point I believe) this stuff is also very sensitive to the weather the day the paint is shot and cures.
Drive to Santa Cruz, and the laws are less restrictive.

This may mean more time and money (the new paints often require new equipment to replace the just fine older stuff, even new booths are required in some areas, all adding to the cost.)

the crazy laws lead by the nazi like CARB (Calif. Air Resource Board) have devistated the automotive repair industry in california. You cant even do it yourself anymore cuase you cant get the materials.

So I recommend you patronize an out of state repair shop, and be sure to let your dog damn state politican know that too. going out of state also makes sure no tax money feeds these bastards!

av-943.gif ... my feelings too!

CARB & the regional AQMDs have killed tons of business - well beyond just auto shops! dry.gif

Now SCAQMD down here wants to ban or severely limit refrigerated warehouses that the supermarkets use - so where & how are we supposed to store frozen foods!!?? confused24.gif

In fact, the original body shop guy I was going to use who did the 1985 quote & was right next door to my mechanic Hans, but he closed up shop in the late 90's or early 2000's due to these restrictions! Man, he was good & was just waiting for me to get round to it, but grad school, marriage, 2 kids, my business, other DD cars & house needing work all kept getting in the way over the years, & postponing this project! sad.gif
jim_hoyland
Tom,

I've been going to Art's Place in Coata Mesa, CA on Sunset Place ( nearest cross street would be Monrovia and 16th ). I would recommend you talk to him; he's done 914s and very high end stuf as well. I think the cost for all the work is going to be high, but let an expert tell you that.

Art's does very good work and completes it in a timely manner. I've never had issues.
EdwardBlume
Tom... after seeing your pictures, I'm thinking you should do it yourself... "Yes YOU can!" w00t.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif ..then it will mean so much more to you....
EdwardBlume
Oh and you'll be at 10,000 posts if you keep this thread up with your progress! lol-2.gif
underthetire
I've been told I can buy the paint at least in Jackson or Pioneer, can't remember. Think thats in Placer? county. Up in the mountains here.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 21 2010, 07:59 PM) *

I've been told I can buy the paint at least in Jackson or Pioneer, can't remember. Think thats in Placer? county. Up in the mountains here.

I'm out in Jackson every Labor Day if that helps... its about 30 miles Northeast of Lodi...
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Tom... after seeing your pictures, I'm thinking you should do it yourself... "Yes YOU can!" w00t.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif ..then it will mean so much more to you....

yikes.gif

I know, I know - you gave me the pep talk on the phone the other day Rob, but I still say yikes.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2010, 07:59 PM) *

Oh and you'll be at 10,000 posts if you keep this thread up with your progress! lol-2.gif

Unfortunately I haven't fingered out how to do an upload dealie to Flicker-bucket or whatever that kev suggested, cuz I'm not type.gif literate in that yet.

So I THOUGHT that it would just be easier/faster to upload the lo-rez ones here to get things started - lol-2.gif

No intention on my part to shoot for 10k posts (Andy's got that wrapped anyway), but the 500kb limit here kills me, cuz the good 8MP camera is at +/- 1 MB per pic at its lowest rez setting, but you can zoom into a gnat's hiney with them even on that setting - when I can control my old age & java induced shaking that is!!!! av-943.gif

Go see the kiddy 914 on your post with your son in your Dad's car! laugh.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 21 2010, 07:31 PM) *

Tom,

I've been going to Art's Place in Coata Mesa, CA on Sunset Place ( nearest cross street would be Monrovia and 16th ). I would recommend you talk to him; he's done 914s and very high end stuf as well. I think the cost for all the work is going to be high, but let an expert tell you that.

Art's does very good work and completes it in a timely manner. I've never had issues.

Thanx Jim, I'll check him out! beerchug.gif

I know it won't be a "bargain" to do this,but just need to get the parameters & figure out what I can do well vs. needing a pro, & whether anyone in California - or SoCal at least - can even get a good paint job anymore with all the air & other restrictions here!!?? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2010, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 21 2010, 07:59 PM) *

I'm out in Jackson every Labor Day if that helps... its about 30 miles Northeast of Lodi...

idea.gif .... hmmmm ......
Underthetire & Rob, that may be a way to go, if it can even be shot locally?

I still want to check out your suggestion Rob, to go out of state for the lesser restrictions on better paints & lower labor costs than here in CA if it shipping doesn't blow the costs even higher.
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.