Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I made some more emblems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mtn flyr
Yes on the 914-S, do the use the stock holes?
oldschool
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 22 2010, 08:58 PM) *

I would love a 914-R for my car, if it is not too big a deal for you to do one-offs.

Me 2 R for Rotary aktion035.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(mtn flyr @ May 5 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Yes on the 914-S, do the use the stock holes?

Each emblem comes with a foot of 3m adhesive emblem tape. smile.gif It's quite easy to adhere to the back of the emblem once it is finished in whichever method you choose. Some people have polished them, and someone is going to have theirs powder coated.

The 914-R will be quite easy, I just need to chop the "T" off of the 914-RT that is already drawn up!

I will go ahead and add these new 'one-offs' to the list, and post them on my site when I have the drawing ready to take to the machine.

RJMII
I've got good news, and I've got better news...

My wife's first week at her new job is going nicely. smile.gif And the better news is that Saturday is almost here and that's my dedicated milling day this week.

While watching the 2 yr old and the 5 yr old while she's at work, I've been able to crank out a few more drawings and I'm getting quite excited to make some emblems and chips out of the 18 foot of aluminum strap in the shop this weekend.

Here are some of them that I've added.

edit: The areas between the letters where the lines appear to take up too much area constitute the pocketing area for between digits.
camaroz1985
Maybe RS?
ClayPerrine
I actually need 5.

914 1.8 (For Betty)
914-6 2.4 (For my current engine)
914-6 4.0 (For my future engine)
912-6 S (need 2)

Yes, the last one says "912-6 S" I have a 68 912 that is getting my 2.4 six when I finally finish the 4.0L six, and I NEVER want to claim that it is a real 911. Plus I want to mess with the purists minds.

Where do I send the check or money order?
RJMII
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2010, 07:18 AM) *

I actually need 5.

914 1.8 (For Betty)
912-6 S (need 2)

Yes, the last one says "912-6 S" I have a 68 912 that is getting my 2.4 six when I finally finish the 4.0L six, and I NEVER want to claim that it is a real 911. Plus I want to mess with the purists minds.

Clay, I'll PM my mailling address to you. smile.gif I like the 'messing with purists' idea!

Is the 'S' on 912-6 S part of the same emblem, or two seperate pieces of metal? A 912-6 and an 'S'? or '912-6 S' all out of one piece of billet?
Dr Evil
912-6S not 914-6S wink.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2010, 10:13 AM) *

912-6S not 914-6S wink.gif

I don't know what you're talking about. lol-2.gif

err I mean, thank you; I was thinking 912 and got so used to typing 914 that it just came natural. I'm drawing 912.
ClayPerrine
The early 911 and 912 had a script type emblem, not the "Porsche font". Would it be possible to do it in the script?

McMark
Clay can you post a large image of the script? I can trace it in Illustrator.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2010, 12:38 PM) *

I can take a picture of the one on the dash.

Or maybe find one online to post. Let me look.
Mike Knox

icon_bump.gif
I'm about finished with my conversion project. I installed a 3.2 into my 1974. Porsche never made a 3.2 insignia. I'd love to have a 3.2 badge for my GT engine lid. happy11.gif

Would it be possible for you to make one up using the 914 Porsche font? drooley.gif

Thanks for considering it. cheer.gif

Mike
RJMII
You mean something like this?

Or does the 3 need some revising?
RJMII
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2010, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2010, 12:38 PM) *

I can take a picture of the one on the dash.

Or maybe find one online to post. Let me look.

Clay, any progress on finding a picture of what you're after?

What size are you wanting the final product to be? about the same as the 914-GT that I've done? (That's the extent of how long of an emblem I can currently go with my machine; my brainstorming hasn't come up with a solid method of expansion yet)
RJMII
Here is what I accomplished this afternoon.

What you can't see in the pictures are the 4 hours I spent taking apart my mini mill and cleaning it and adjusting it.

I still need to clean these up with a micro-file set; and the NARP emblem is a screw up (and already spoken for!).

These are all already spoken for, but now that I have the first ones done, the next ones are going to be easy to cut out.

Mike Knox
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 8 2010, 01:20 PM) *

You mean something like this?

Or does the 3 need some revising?

To MY eye it looks perfect!! drooley.gif Can you make me one, and add me to the NARP list as well? I can send you the $$$ via Paypal or by check it's totally your choice. Just PM me how much and where.

THANKS so much for the speedy reply. piratenanner.gif

Mike Knox

jt914-6
I bought this script years ago for my 3.0. I was going to cut off the 3.0, but it wouldn't have gone with the factor 914-6 script off my factory six that it came from. I didn't want to put the whole "Carrera 3.0" on as I didn't think that it would go with the car....Here's a scanned pic of it if anyone is interested in the style of the letters/number....

Click to view attachment
messix
could you reproduce the engine lid letters in a more durable design than what is available?
RJMII
Troy, what's non-durable about them that you'd like to see improved upon?

I do have a full set of them on my car to get measurements off of... idea.gif I can certainly look into it.
messix
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 8 2010, 08:50 PM) *

Troy, what's non-durable about them that you'd like to see improved upon?

I do have a full set of them on my car to get measurements off of... idea.gif I can certainly look into it.

aren't the current replacements gold and made out of plastic?

my car had chrome plastic that had missing letters.

i don't know why i'm asking about the porsche letters i should be asking for chevrolet.... one day it will be covering a V8!
lotus_65
what do you want, a dxf?
Click to view attachment
RJMII
yes, I can open a DXF. Curret limits for my machine: max height(Y) is 5 inches, and max width(x) is 8.2 inches. max depth is 1. (Z) (depending on how much details, that's the flute length on the 1/8 inch end mill I've been using to cut the emblems out with)
MoveQik
Hey Jim,

Those look great! I'll take a 3.2. I have one that someone made several years ago but I like yours better. What will the damage be for a 3.2 emblem?

MW
RJMII
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 9 2010, 09:03 AM) *

Hey Jim,

Those look great! I'll take a 3.2. I have one that someone made several years ago but I like yours better. What will the damage be for a 3.2 emblem?

MW

Thank you!

I added it to my website to make paying and keeping track of who would like what easier. smile.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 8 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Here is what I accomplished this afternoon.

These are all already spoken for, but now that I have the first ones done, the next ones are going to be easy to cut out.

WaHoo!
RJMII
I've got the polishing figured out now. smile.gif I practiced on some other pieces of aluminum; so if anyone wants theirs polished it only takes a few minutes with the polishing wheels and polishing compound that are sitting next to my mill...

this 3.2 I'm playing with has a near mirror like finish after just a couple of minutes of playing.

The process: 800-1200 grit wet or dry on a FLAT surface, rapid movements back and forth to knock off the top layer of emblem that has the clamp marks and aluminum manufacturing marks.
next: I hit it with a couple different rouges or polishing compounds on the 4 different buffing wheels and the bench top grinder. I put the emblem on a paint stir stick for this part to hold it in shape while being worked over with the cotton and polishing compound.

Mike Bellis
Can you make one that says
WHYYOULOOKINGATTHEASSENDOFMYCARJERKOFF

Or do you think theat would be to large? lol-2.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 10 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Do you think it would fit on the back of your car?

38 letters, 37 spaces... 1.313 inch per letter, .563 per space...

49 inches of just letters! with spaces between them, you're looking at an emblem that is 70 inches long... five foot ten inches?

I get the aluminum in 6 or 12 foot chunks. biggrin.gif
FourBlades
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 7 2010, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2010, 07:18 AM) *

I actually need 5.

914 1.8 (For Betty)
912-6 S (need 2)

Clay, I'll PM my mailling address to you. smile.gif I like the 'messing with purists' idea!

Is the 'S' on 912-6 S part of the same emblem, or two seperate pieces of metal? A 912-6 and an 'S'? or '912-6 S' all out of one piece of billet?

Fifty years from now the Porsche historians are going to be pulling out their
hair over all these undocumented 914 variations. smile.gif

John
McMark
Lotus, those are 944 number styles. tongue.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 10 2010, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 10 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Do you think it would fit on the back of your car?

38 letters, 37 spaces... 1.313 inch per letter, .563 per space...

49 inches of just letters! with spaces between them, you're looking at an emblem that is 70 inches long... five foot ten inches?

I get the aluminum in 6 or 12 foot chunks. biggrin.gif

I think if I weld over the tail lights and bend the emblem around the quarter panels, it will fit. I'll make it look factory!
markb
I think you should make ones that say

YOU LOSE

They'll sell like hotcakes. biggrin.gif
underthetire
I might want a NARP one!
lotus_65
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Lotus, those are 944 number styles. tongue.gif

blink.gif

doh.
Mike Knox
Does this emblem make my butt look too large? laugh.gif

RJMII
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ May 10 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Does this emblem make my butt look too large? laugh.gif

No, but this one does!

WIDELOAD

lol-2.gif
ClayPerrine
Finally found a decent picture of the emblem I want made as 912-6

Click to view attachment

And with my list, I want the engine size numbers separate from the model. So I only need one 914-6, one 2.4, and one 4.0.

RJMII
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 10 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Finally found a decent picture of the emblem I want made as 912-6

And with my list, I want the engine size numbers separate from the model. So I only need one 914-6, one 2.4, and one 4.0.

Ahh; thank you. That clears up a lot of confusion. I was just sitting here counting. headbang.gif smile.gif Counting and drawing... smile.gif

Do you have some basic dimensions of the emblem in the picture? Height of the bar across the bottom? I can scale the rest to match.
RJMII
I like how you can see the matchbox package in the face of the emblems. biggrin.gif

zymurgist
Those NARPs are too cool! I want one! w00t.gif
RJMII
Ken, I added it to my website. smile.gif It helps me keep track of who wants which ones.

Like thie 914S, I don't know who wants it yet. smile.gif

I just cut this 914S out tonight and polished it, since I was in the shop making Wills' 3.2.
Rleog
I'd like a 914-R and a 2.27 to attach beneath. If you're able to do it, let me know the cost and how you'd like me to pay.

Thanks,
Bob
charliew
Jim you are doing so well I thought I might make another request. Hold on to the 914 TH you have made and when you get time see if you can make ybrid to add to the H on my emblem. I know this is lowercase and a different set up and a one time thing so if it's too time consuming I may try it manually myself. Thanks,
Charlie
RJMII
Here is another picture; the ones that went out yesterday. smile.gif

The 914-TH took more work than I thought it would, hopefully it was worth the effort I put into it.

RJMII
Charlie, it looks like we were both posting at the same time...

I already sent it out, but I can play with the idea later this week if you'd like.

I'm working on a fixture to use for making longer emblems. I WILL conquer that 914-Automatic!

Bob, PM on its way. smile.gif
charliew
Jim I know it's a one off probably but just whenever you can get to it.
Thanks for the polish, if I owe you any more let me know.
RJMII
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 11 2010, 04:42 PM) *

Those NARPs are too cool! I want one! w00t.gif

They are $57 shipped CONUS. smile.gif

QUOTE(underthetire @ May 10 2010, 04:27 PM) *

I might want a NARP one!

Thank you, Jeff! It's been shipped. biggrin.gif Let me know when it gets there.
KELTY360
How realistic is it to think you could do a 914World logo like appears at the top of the web page? Could even be 2 piece.
RJMII
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 12 2010, 01:28 PM) *

How realistic is it to think you could do a 914World logo like appears at the top of the web page? Could even be 2 piece.

somewhat realistic. smile.gif I need to make one and send to an admin first, though; as per the rules. I'll get to work on it right away. smile.gif

It will take a smaller bit for the details in the emblem, and will take longer to make than the ones that I have been doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.